ONYEWU, Oguchi

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re: ONYEWU, Oguchi

I rate him as good defender and he definitely should be played for better club than Liege. Good buy for Milan' date=' i think he'll be rotated with Nesta to play alongside Thiago Silva[/quote']
I can see a 90 for Onyewu soon if he plays enough for Milan' date=',,,, in champo league etc. and all. Very solid defender who wins EVERYTHING in the air. Immense[/quote']

Have either of you actually ever seen him play ? Because NONE of what you wrote describes the defender that I'm watching on the tv.

Onyewu is getting ABSOLUTELY TORCHED right now in a friendly vs Club America. Unfortunately for his soon-to-be-90-rating that you are ready to give him, he had a hand in both goals vs. Milan. Came on in the 2nd half. Didn't win one ball in the air. Didn't have one takeaway. ZERO anticipation. Was caught completely flat-footed and then turned-around on 2 long crosses which resulted in both goals against Milan.

Granted it's preseason for Milan, but it's preseason for Club America too and Onyewu is coming off an active summer (Confed Cup), where you would assume he should be in good form.

If tonight is any indication, he's gonna get absolutely "found out" in Serie A. Don't be surprised if a drop to 87 is in the cards before anything remotely close to 90.

Have to agree with Johnny C here.

Although he'll be playing in a higher rated league for a bigger team it was rather a surprise move.

Especially after those who saw him playing for Newcastle.

He's not the sort of player you'd associate with AC Milan - was a bit of a surprise signing to be honest but we'll see how he does - clearly the Milan staff see something in him.

He wont get a look in at milan, he is defo not as good as what some of yous think.

he ws on loan with newcastle few yr bk nd he was useless, gets caught out of position alot!

probs b in for a drop in rating nxt season, so i wud sell if u have him in ur team.

He wont get a look in at milan' date=' he is defo not as good as what some of yous think.

he ws on loan with newcastle few yr bk nd he was useless, gets caught out of position alot!

probs b in for a drop in rating nxt season, so i wud sell if u have him in ur team.[/quote']

Can't agree with that. Although he was very poor at Newcastle, he has been very impressive for Liege this season especially in the UEFA Cup. Good signing for Milan, but I don't think hes gonna be a starter week in, week out. Although he hasn't had the best start for AC, it is still only pre-season. :P

Edit - Oh and Johnny, I didn't see him play against America, but if what your saying is true it doesn't sound so good. :o But I have posted above about how Onyewu performed last season for Liege.

I bought him after his move to Milan' date=' a mistake?[/quote']

haha me too... :o the good thing about it though, is that if he does play...and play well then i have him in my team if he's set for a rise. if he plays poorly, then his TB will be up way before the italian changes and therfore i can just get rid. All is not lost!!

• 2 months later...

OguchiOnyewu.jpg

Are people still drinking the kool-aid on this guy and think that he's in for ANY kind of rise ? ? He does zip-zero for the US NT for years, has one decent Confed. Cup tournament this past summer, gets quickly recruited by a DESPERATE Milan team which showed ZERO transfer or team building strategy, and most on here were convinced that his rating was shooting to the moon...

1 CL sub appearance in a loss to Zurich!!

Can't believe that anyone on here thinks that his rating is going to rise, let alone be a 90 as people all over this Forum are suggesting.

With his current performances (or lack thereof), methinks he's going to be very lucky to even keep his rating.

Oh well.... Saturday and Wednesday he and Carols Bocanegra get to anchor a ramshackle US back-four vs those international stalwarts, Honduras & Costa Rica. Tim Howard & Brad Guzan deserve much better...

Aside: Game is being played in Honduras tomorrow night. A win clinches the US's spot in WC10. Shouldn't be an issue, but with that US back-four I really think Honduras playing @ Home and a decent Costa Rica team could give the US a run for their money.

IMO, this is a bad US team. A decent midfield that moves to attack very quickly and well. A surprising Charlie Davies. Good GKs. But a horrible, and I mean H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E Defense, led by none other than everyone's soon-to-be-90-rated "Gooch". I hope Honduras & CR can give them a run for their money, because this US team needs a wake-up call.

Another Aside: Not sure if everyone is up to speed with what's going on in Honduras, but let's hope the match gives the Hondurans a needed peaceful respite from the political turmoil.

Not sure if any of you had the opportunity to watch Honduras v USA on Saturday... For those of you that didn't, you missed one hell of a display by Onyewu. Not only did he had a hand in most of the opportunities/goals for Honduras, but also in their PK opportunity in the 87th which should have tied the match 3x3.

1st Honduran goal, Onyewu gives the ball away then immediately commits a foul just outside the box. Freekick....which Julio Leon nicely places top corner.

Goal that David Suazo should of had if not for a fantastic save by Tim Howard... once again Onyewu is a step too slow. Nice through ball into the box, which Suazo one-times, after completely separating from Onyewu.

Honduran goal that should have counted, but was incorrectly disallowed for offside... Deadball situation from just over midfield. Who is the only US Defender asleep at the back on the offside trap...? You guessed it...Onyewu. This was no complicated trap... It was as straight froward as it gets. That goal should have made the game 2-2. Oh... and not only was he asleep during the trap, but he also didn't track back quickly enough... yeah, it was his guy who received the pass & "scored" the disallowed goal.

2nd Honduran goal... he mis the ball, so no clear.. Honduras take possession and then made the US defense look absolutely silly... While Tim Howard is taking on 2 Hondurans by himself just outside the 6 yard box, it takes Onyewu 7 seconds to track back from the top of the penalty area to the 6 yard box. 7 seconds!!

Missed PK in the 87th which would have tied the match 3x3...... Freekick into the box. Somehow the biggest guy on the pitch, 6 foot 5 inch Onyewu, finds a way not to get his head on the ball, despite the ball going directly at him. All he had to do was stand there. Anyway, Onyewu misses it and the ball immediately hits Carlos Bocanegra in the arm resulting in the PK opportunity.

Somehow Onyewu magically gets rated 5.0 for the match by ESPN (see their generous rating on him below...). Still tied for the low on the team, but IMO he should have received nothing north of a 3.5:

Oguchi Onyewu, 5.0
-- Had some uncharacteristically shaky moments that included the turnover and foul that led to Honduras' first goal (though the foul looked like a dive). Made some key late interventions to help preserve the victory.

Can someone remind me again why this guy is picked to be a riser ? ? ?

EDIT: I was just thinking about it and he is appallingly bad on set pieces. @ 6'5" you wouldn't think that would be the case. Difficult to tell if it's just his atrocious footwork & positioning or if it speaks to a lack of general knowledge about the game.

I only get to really watch him when he's on US NT duty. And seeing how AC Milan reserve matches aren't going to be televised anytime soon, I'm curious if anyone has a thought about his performances @ Liege.

I get the impression that you don't rate Onyewu' date=' JC?[/quote']

Just calling 'em like I sees 'em...

...Plus too many people on the Forum are getting a little too wide-eyed optimistic in general with regards to some of these rating predictions. I don't know how many +2 predictions I saw regarding Onyewu after Milan perplexingly picked him up. Just today I was reading someone ridiculously arguing for another CB, Dirk Marcellis, to go +2 to 90 during these rating changes despite just playing 120 league minutes the first week of August, and not featuring since. Just crazy foolish stuff...

When it comes to Onyewu, I personally think the guy is going to get found out pretty quickly if he hasn't already, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's gonzo out of Milan during the January transfer window in some early Spring cleaning. Guy is out of his depth. It's not a bad thing. Happens all of the time to even bigger names (Quaresma comes to mind...)...

Plus, with my Sweden set to be on the outside looking in, I now have to hang my hat solely on the fortunes of the US squad in South Africa. Yikes!! And I cannot believe that the US's D and defensive midfield are as bad as this bunch are recently. And when I say "bad"...I mean SHOCKINGLY HORRIBLE. I don't expect US players in general to be creative offensively just yet...we're just too young a footballing nation from a developmental standpoint to really have those sorts of players. That said, offensive midfield creativity seems to be where the US's strength - if you can call it that - actually is with this group.

I expected a somewhat solid D, anchored by "Gooch" and with Carlos Bocanegra playing yet again well over his natural ability (as he has done throughout both his club & NT career). Instead what we got is a back-4 in disarray and zero depth. Bocanegra is playing above his natural ability yet again. Really miss Jay DeMerit (freak eye injury) who could be out for club & country for some time. But the glaring weak point is Onyewu. Too many players covering for his continued mistakes during CONCACAF qualifying. People in the States are saying that the LB spot is where the recent hole is, but if you actually watch these matches (and I reluctantly do) it's pretty evident that Onyewu is the bigger concern.

Anyway... get another look @ Onyewu this coming Wednesday in Washington DC. The US sit top of the group. They have already qualified and they play a pretty savvy Costa Rica team that already beat the US 3x1 in Costa Rica earlier in qualifying. Costa Rica has the final spot for qualifying, just ahead of Honduras on goal differential. Honduras have to play away to El Salvador. Apparently the US didn't send anyone back to their clubs, so it's going to be the same squad from this past weekend. Where everyone in England or Spain or countless other countries more or less already know who the starting XI are basically going to be for their country, the US seems to be taking a page out of Wacky-Maradonna's book and have a new starting line-up every match. Not a good thing, IMO, at this stage. With Jay DeMerit out with possible eye surgery, it means that it's going to be Onyewu + Bocanegra @ CB again (as opposed to putting Bocanegra over @ LB). Onyewu hasn't looked good next to Bocanegra throughout recent qualifying. Gets another shot on Wednesday night to prove his critics wrong...

Aside: Sorry about all this US NT talk. Believe me, I don't like it any more than you. But guess what...Unfortunately that's all we have to rate Onyewu on.

Two purrrrrr-fect examples of "Gooch" in action last night vs Costa Rica :

(1) @ 50 sec : Here he is getting his doors blown off him by Bryan Ruiz (87-FC Twente) for Costa Rica's first goal. I particularly like how he stops running once he realizes he's beat.

(2) @1:20 : Watch him offer zero defensive help on the second goal by Ruiz. Gets completely caught in no-man's land with his d*ck in his hand.

Here's the only player rating I could find on the match (ESPN) :

Oguchi Onyewu, 5
-- Beaten badly on first Costa Rica goal, didn't look as sharp as usual.

Takeaways:

(1) Guy is out of his depth vs anyone with speed (i.e.most forwards). You would think that he'd try to play to his own strengths, but he doesn't come across as capable of doing that. His game isn't flexible enough to deal with opponents who will throw speed @ him and his decision making in zonal marking is (in a word)..."lacking". It's safe to say that he's completely out of his depth @ Milan. At this point I actually think a drop in rating to 87 is more likely than even a stay @ 88.

I was thinking that he'd be transferred out during the January window, but that's now not possible ..... (see #2 below)

(2) Considering that he sees no time @ Milan, we only had these US matches to judge his current ability/performances. Well, we don't even have those going forward...!

Onyewu ruptured his patellar tendon last night and will be out for 3-4 months. He misjudged a ball in the air, twisted his body going backwards to head it, and ruptured the patellar tendon in the 83rd minute. Really have to ask why the US manager Bob Bradley had him on a rain soaked pitched late in a match that was completely meaningless for the US. Milan should string Bradley up. Then again... Onyewu put himself in the position to be injured by once again misjudging the incoming ball.

knee_acl_patellar_tendon_anatomy03.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well... looks like a drop to 87. It's a fully deserved drop though (even with the injury and the screwball way in which he picked it up).

I'm sure Milan would have loved to have shipped him out this January market, but the injury prevented them from finding a buyer.

Hopefully, he'll move on this summer and find his feet at another club.

3-4 months recovery time is massively optimistic for a ruptured patellar tendon. Ronaldo (fat one) had the same injury in both knees, 8 years apart and took a year to 18 months to recover each time. 6 months is the absolute minimum apparently.

Why do I know this? Cos I did the same thing playing 5 a side in August. Just started jogging again after 6 months, it's a complete b1tch of an injury. Waaaaay worse than a cruciate, so the docs say.

I've read he's trying to make the world cup, I don't think he'll make it but good luck to him.

Sell.