ONYEWU, Oguchi

Re: ONYEWU, Oguchi

(1) Playing for free: He just extended his contract @ Milan through 2013 with no salary for the '12/'13 season. It's pretty remarkable that a player would do this in ANY sport or in ANY profession.

From his perspective he has nothing to lose. Hadn't made a good showing @ Milan and then gets injured for the year. He obviously wants to stick around Milan, and is hoping they will keep him around for the '10/'11 season so that they can see his promise.

Anyway... Not a bad PR/political move on his part. Sux for his agent though...

(2) IMO he's still going to be gonzo & shipped out of Milan this summer. Even with his willingness to play for free, I just can't see them keeping him around. He'll be out on loan somewhere or sold this summer. Milan had a close enough look @ him in preseason last year to know that he's simply out of his depth at this high-level of futbol. He ended up @ very desperate Milan after a good Confed Cup last summer. If the US get out of their Group stage, which IS NOT as certain as most are led to believe, Milan should use any positive press on him and agree for a deal with the first desperate buyer that comes along.

(3) He's back from injury. His ruptured his patellar tendon is healed and he reported to the US NT pre-World Cup training camp this morning. The US play an exhibition vs. Czech Rep next Tues and then vs. Turkey that following weekend. I'd be curious to see if he is back for that Czech Rep match.

• 2 weeks later...

First game back in a friendly versus the Czech Republic. Here is ONYEWU's definitive moment during the match (go to 1:00) :

He's 6'5" and was completely out jumped. The last quote from the commentator says it all...

Again, other than going out on loan, I simply can't see Milan keeping this guy around.

Did Onyewu had something with ur wife that you hate him so much?

Jonny?

Just calling it like I see it...

Or maybe Richarddi' date=' you'd rather have your head in the sand and just listen to the guys who say his rating is shooting to the moon just because he had a good Confed Cup & was recruited by Milan. If that gets the job done for you...do it up...!

[b']Who knows... I probably have some pent-up disappointment [/b]that this guy is the best defender we got :( Doesn't say much for US-development despite all the big strides. Who knows though... maybe we can just attribute it to all the British coaches over here :D

And for what it's worth I don't hate the guy. Come on...Emotions have nothing to do with it.

Merely providing some insight into the guy who is "supposedly" the US's best defender. I watch his matches so I feel that my opinion is fairly educated when it comes to his game (or lack thereof).

If you are getting something different from those videos that I posted or from your interpretation of his matches then please feel free to comment. But be prepared to back it up with examples. Because the "Gooch" that I watch certainly is not the guy that everyone had tipped to go to 90/89 last summer. Not even close.

After the Confed Cup & transfer to Milan, he took a step back to 87 (as expected for anyone that did their homework on him). Where his rating goes after this summer/fall is anyone's guess right now. But judging from his first performance back (the other night vs the Czechs), it ain't lookin' too good for him or his rating.

Aside:

Was the wife reference some passive cry for help...? Did some big slow 6'5" guy defile your ol' lady and this is just a passive way of getting it out. If you need to talk I'm here for ya ! :)

Just calling it like I see it...

Merely providing some insight into the guy who is "supposedly" the US's best defender. I watch his matches so I feel that my opinion is fairly educated when it comes to his game (or lack thereof).

:)

How do you watch his matches? He played in one match for AC milan due to his injury? Give the guy a break. He was out all year and that friendly match earlier this week was his FIRST game back. How do you expect a guy to play well after being out for almost a year? Im going to the game against TUrkey so we will see how he improves in that game as hes def. going to get minutes.

How do you watch his matches? He played in one match for AC milan due to his injury? Give the guy a break. He was out all year and that friendly match earlier this week was his FIRST game back. How do you expect a guy to play well after being out for almost a year? Im going to the game against TUrkey so we will see how he improves in that game as hes def. going to get minutes.

If you don't think that you could rate the guy during the time from the Confed Cup up until his injury' date=' then you haven't been paying attention.[/b']

Since the Confed Cup from last summer which got everyone including a very desperate Milan so giddy....

...Here's what he's done and what we have all had to judge him on...

(1)
He had 3 preseason matches vs high profile teams when Milan were in the US. All of them were broadcast over here.
And not only did he stink up the joint in all 3 games, but he looked woefully out of his depth when it came to strategy & positioning. See one of the earlier posts on this thread for his performance versus Club America.

While it was a preseason tournament the guy was game ready after coming off a good Confed Cup. So while the others might have been a bit rusty coming off a summer holiday, this guy was in top form, and yet somehow he put up those shoddy performances coupled with bad decision making.

(2)
Once the season started he had two and a half months / 10 weeks / 75 days to work his way into the Milan side
. Keep in mind that this was a Milan side who did NOTHING in the summer transfer market. They were a team with no plan. To tell you how lost they were at that time, their first summer signing a year ago was Onyewu who they only saw at the Confed Cup. It was a desperate team.

Anyway... you would think over that time that their summer signing who everyone on here had tipped to go to 90/89 could somehow work his way into the squad, especially considering that Nesta was still not even 80%. But no. Dude couldn't even get in their side.

First time he was seen was the last day of September for a measly 30 minutes in a home Group Stage home loss to Zürich.
OUCH !

It was also the last time he was seen for Milan.

(3)
After 2 more weeks of being healthy for Milan, and not getting into their side, he goes back to the US to play in a WC qualifiers.

He royally stunk up the joint in the Honduras match.
For video evidence please the vids attached in the preceding posts. Then in the final match vs Costa Rica he gets injured after being the worst player on the pitch.
Okay... A defender got beat. Big deal you say. Fine.

Better yet then, watch how HE COMPLETELY GIVES UP ON PLAYS AFTER HE'S BEAT.
Not once but twice in the same game. 100% Unacceptable by ANY professional (I don't care what your profession is). Seriously... watch how the guy routinely quits on plays. Unfortunately this is the type of stuff that a 28 year-old defender can't unlearn...

And as far as the injury goes... Sure it was raining for the 1st half of that match, but that's not what caused the injury. In fact it wasn't even a freak occurrence. The injury occurred because of Onyewu's very poor positioning. Watch the video when he gets hurt. He's all twisted up and then tries to make a play on a long ball, which he also misjudged. Ugh !

And all the while this was a guy that most on here blindly expected to go 88→90 simply because they heard he had a good Confed Cup that earned him a transfer to a desperate Milan side.

Meanwhile there were performances to judge him on. There was also lack of any game time to judge him on too. At the time this was an 88-rated player we're talking about. Same rating as Landon Donovan. (Aside: At least there was one 88-rated US player holding up his rating in a European league. Thanks Landon!)

It was after ALL OF THIS that I was saying he should be dropping 88→87. Not because of his injury, but rather because of his performances BEFORE he was injured. Guy was out of his depth.

Based on the last time we saw him prior to injury he was an 87-rated player whose performances fully warranted a ratings drop.

In his first game back from injury (the other night vs the Czechs) we were all able to see how he made it back. He was slow during the game and quite frankly didn't do much. The Czech forwards ran him ragged and confused him all night. Poor Steve Cherundolo (86-Hannover) and Clarence Goodson (84-IK Start) spent most of the game covering mistakes by Onyewu.

Furthermore, some the big negatives in his game were all exposed all on one play (the Czech's first goal - check the vid in the above post for proof). Here are Onyewu's big negatives that were exposed on that play:

(1)
excruciatingly poor performance when it comes to set pieces

(2)
poor aerial ability despite being 6'5"

(3)
very poor positioning

ANY defender at a top league, let alone one who plays for AC Milan, and let alone one who was 88-rated (not to mention tipped to go to 90 on here by many) should have NONE of those negative attributes in his bag. Simples...

Anyway... As you say, we have the friendly versus Turkey to have another look... And then of course the WC

I Rate Onyewu extremely high ' date='[/color'] He Was the one that stopped Torres and David Villa From Scoring in Confederations..

Also Impressed Before that

Also Onyewu would be a 91/92 player if it was not for injuries.

Really... That's great.

What is it exactly that you rate so highly about him ? Curious to see what I'm missing with this guy's game...

While we wait on Pedro_X to hear why he rates him so highly... I thought that I'd give an update.

Just on the train ride back to NYC from watching USA X Turkey here in Philadelphia in front of what looked like a sold out stadium (60,000).

Today had another chance to take a look @ ONYEWU. It was USA X Turkey, in the US's 2nd out of 3 friendlies heading into the WC.

He only played the last 45. I don't blame Bradley for limiting Onyewu's game time. From watching the Czech match it is plainly obvious that Onyewu is a step behind for any number of reasons (injury, mentally not prepared, conditioning, just plain sucking, etc...).

I'd give him an average rating for his time on the pitch. Wasn't really tested. I think he may have had the ball in front of him 2 or 3 times during his time on the pitch. Wasn't bothered. And handled things easily.

No screw-ups and nothing to get excited about either. Wasn't really given the opportunity to do either.

The US have Australia in Jo-burg next weekend (June 5th). I would expect Bradley to at least start Onyewu in that match and put out as close a starting line-up as he could. Onyewu should be in the mix; although, there was chatter today in the stands that Bradley may have to opt with Goodson (84-IK Start) if Onyewu can't lift his game.

That said, if I was a betting man I'd say Onyewu and Jay DeMerit (83-Watford) are our starting CBs for the WC.... But that's not saying much (nor does it mean much).

The US's #1 Weak Spot (and YES) there are quite a few of them... But the #1 Weak Spot is the back-line which Onyewu anchors. That weakness was evident again today. None of the defenders ever seem to be on the same page with one another. I don't blame that on the solid US Keepers; rather, it's seems to be a lack of discipline/communication coming out of the CBs.

Anyway, another look @ Onyewu next Saturday vs the Socceroos. Should get a good look @ just how far along his game & conditioning are then.

I am thinking about it... And there is just no way that ONWEYU should be within a ratings point of Landon DONOVAN or Clint DEMPSEY. There is just NO WAY. These guys' games are light years ahead of ONWEYU's game (even when healthy).

Listen, I am all for US players getting the rightful increased respect that they deserve (and I can't believe I am going to say this, but I'm even for an improving MLS to receive more deserved respect too), but there is no way that Onweyu is an 87/88-rated player. Just no way. Especially when you consider that DONOVAN & DEMPSEY are 88s.

***Compared to regular 88-rated CBs...He's not even close to guys like KYRGIAKOS @ Liverpool or SPAHIC @ Montpellier. Or even SENDEROS @ Arsenal (who I really don't rate). ONWEYU never was close to them when it comes to any of the attributes that make a CB an 88-rated player.

***Compared to regular 87-rated CBs...The one guy that I think he is much alike and on par with is Edson BRAAFHEID @ Bayern (loaned to Celtic). But think about it... Here's another player from a lesser league (Dutch), who took the step-up in competition this past summer and got found out pretty quickly.

This transitions into my belief that Milan will loan/sell Onweyu in this current summer transfer market (the same way Bayern did with Braafheid).

Who knows... maybe Onweyu's 88 and now 87-rating has more to do with the Belgian/Dutch leagues being overrated, than anything else... Just a thought...

• 4 months later...

Happy_Anniversary_Heart.jpg

Just a shout out to OGUCHI ONYEWU on the 1 year anniversary

of the last time he suited up, let alone played for a club.

Not surprisingly he wasn't effective for the US in the WC.

In fact he lost his starting place in the final two matches.

Back in Milan not only has he been left off of ACM's Champions League roster,

but a fully fit ONYEWU is now last in the CB depth chart

with 22 year-old SOKRATIS PAPASTATHOPOULOS

routinely being picked ahead of him for the bench.

I say that a drop to 85 (from 87) could realistically be in the cards for ONYEWU.

Even @ an 85, he would be the USNT's 4th highest-rated defender.

Even that is über aggressive.

By my count not only isn't he the 4th best defender,

he's not even the 4th best CB.

Even the US's 18 year-old 75-rated Gale AGBOSSOUMONDE

who is currently owned by Traffic is much better than him.

I would have thought that Milan would have seen enough over the previous 12 months

and loaned ONYEWU out during this past Summer Transfer Market.

But the Market and Finances being what they are I guess I can understand the lack of a loan move.

For his sake I hope that he finds a club/league in which he can play other than for Milan's reserves.

In the meantime, I hope that

the increasingly stubborn & uncreative Bob Bradley

stops picking ONYEWU for the USNT.

His participation in that side is holding

too many other good young US CBs back.

If anyone has news on Milan's Reserve Team's performances with regards to ONYEWU please post.

As it is, that is the only way we are going to hear about this guy's performances.

Wow a major injury for 9 months and you cant understand why he was dropped? if everyone who was injured for such a long time dropped so quick then nesta would be an 89 atm. I can only assume that you did 't know about the injury that kept him from playing from October til May when the season was nearly over. He had 1 game he was available for and why would Milano risk it? Im not a big Onyewu fan but he is still the best defender by far for the USMNT he just wasnt match fit.

• 1 month later...

So.....Is it going to be -1 or -2 this ratings change...?

Dude STILL hasn't played a competitive Club game

and he doesn't even make the subs' bench

We are talking about over 14 months since Onyewu suited up for Milan in a match,

let alone made the substitutes' bench

(ridiculous home loss to Zurich in CL last fall)

And let me repeat that... He doesn't even make the subs' bench

We are talking about over 18 months since Onyewu suited up for ANY Club in ANY League match

(Standard Liège vs Anderlecht 2 seasons ago where he had is doors blown off by Lukaku who had just turned 16 yr-old a few days earlier)

IMO he's going to be out of the USNT set-up soon, too...

The sooner that he is out of the USNT set-up the better it will be for the US

There is just too much good young US CB talent making the step up, some of which is just as good as this guy but 10 years younger and with infinitely better futbol minds

Some people on here are going to point to the injury with Onyewu

and say that he deserves time.

I guess that would be a fair argument

except for the unmitigated fact that he fully recovered from the injury over 6 months ago

and during that time has not only been edged out of the USNT starting role, but more importantly has been demoted to the very last defender that Milan has

IMO it's not a question of injury with Onyewu... it's the fact that the guy's skills just aren't all that...

Even 19 year old Michelangelo Albertazzi is brought up from the Milan Primavera team to play ahead of him

milandefenders.jpg

At a minimum Onyewu HAS to drop -1 to 86

Sokratis Papastrathopoulos routinely makes the substitutes' bench ahead of Onyewu and Papastrathopoulos is 87-rated

So recognizing that Onyewu isn't up to par with an 87-rated substitute who has only played 270 minutes total

It is fair to say that 86 is a minimum that he will fall to

But I also think there is a good case that his rating can go down even further to 85

Especially when you consider :

He hasn't played in 2 years

How far down the pecking order he has fallen (i.e. last choice defender)

That the Italian League dropped UEFA coefficient points

The club that is thinking about taking him on loan (Bologna)

are thinking of him as a backup for CBs who are currently rated 86

which would place him BELOW an 86-level

Milan asked Standard Liège to take him back on loan (paid for by Milan)

and Liège who start two guys rated-85 and have CB backups not even rated

told Milan that they couldn't find a place for him in the team.

He's the stock that I can't stop shorting.

(yes I'm a hater at times, but with this guy I am also just telling it like it is)

Hey I heard about Onyewu in the newspaper a couple of days ago...Ibracadabra and him were playing against each other and Ibra hit Onyewu and now he's injured again....hahahahahahahhaha.....

ahahahahaa! Why don't SM just drop him to 80 and be over with it' date=' he clearly doesn't have a future in football.[/font']

Milan asked Standard Liège to take him back on loan (paid for by Milan)

and Liège who start two guys rated-85 and have CB backups not even rated

told Milan that they couldn't find a place for him in the team.

[/size][/center]

yes but isnt one of the reasons that Onyewu is still in Milan because he agreed to last his remaining contract without wages?

After his injury, cant specifically remeber what site, but i saw this somewhere...

yes but isnt one of the reasons that Onyewu is still in Milan because he agreed to last his remaining contract without wages?

After his injury' date=' cant specifically remeber what site, but i saw this somewhere...[/quote']

I personally don't think that he is going to be there much longer.

Regarding his contract, you are correct in that he asked for an extension of his contract by 1 year, and he would do it @ no fee. I addressed it on one of these previous posts.

However, that really doesn't come in to play right now. The contract extension @ no fee is for the 2012–13 season. So two seasons from now. Considering that the guy is going to be 30 when that season begins, it's probably safe to assume that Milan aren't keeping him around for that.

IMO they were hoping to sell him last January, but he injured himself on a bonehead play before they had a chance to pull the trigger. Now they are in a position where the guy isn't good enough to take the field for either Club or Country anymore, so it's almost impossible to show-case him for potential buyers.

Milan is in a tough situation.

They want to sell the guy because he's simply not good enough

They are paying him €3.0M per season for last season when he was injured, this season when he hasn't even suited up, and next season. This is even before his 0 salary extension for the 2012/13 season.

They can't get the guy on the field to showcase his talents to potential buyers because they believe he's a liability to the squad's performances (as proven by the fact that he is now the last choice defender @ Milan)

They now have to hope that someone takes him on loan (paid for by Milan) so that he can see game time and showcase his talent elsewhere, so they can try to sell him in the Summer.

The Hargreaves example a few posts ago was funny. Clearly it's a farce that SM have him rated as highly as they do. The guy shouldn't be @ 89. But we are talking about a guy in Hargreaves who (much like Ledley King) worked his butt-off to try to get healthy again, but it never panned out for him.

Onyewu is a much different scenario.

Before Onyewu was injured he didn't play. Now that he has been healthy for the past 6 months he has been demoted to the last choice defender and he still doesn't even play or even suit up. He clearly isn't a priority for the team and they likely want to sell him ASAP. However, they also think that his skill-level is so poor that despite really wanting to sell him, they can't afford to put him on the pitch for fear that he'll negatively affect the squad's performances.

He'll be loaned out in January and sold in the Summer.

Milan will be lucky to recoup (in Transfer Fees) ANY of the €9M in salary that Onyewu is entitled to under his current contract.

This guy is as bad as it gets. If that knucklehead Bob Bradley invites Onyewu within 50 miles of the USNT set-up expect pressure on Bradley to go. Personally if that happens I will start rooting for Mexico until Bradley is sacked.

I personally don't think that he is going to be there much longer.

Regarding his contract' date='[/b'] you are correct in that he asked for an extension of his contract by 1 year, and he would do it @ no fee. I addressed it on one of these previous posts.

However, that really doesn't come in to play right now. The contract extension @ no fee is for the 2012–13 season. So two seasons from now. Considering that the guy is going to be 30 when that season begins, it's probably safe to assume that Milan aren't keeping him around for that.

IMO they were hoping to sell him last January, but he injured himself on a bonehead play before they had a chance to pull the trigger. Now they are in a position where the guy isn't good enough to take the field for either Club or Country anymore, so it's almost impossible to show-case him for potential buyers.

Milan is in a tough situation.

They want to sell the guy because he's simply not good enough

They are paying him €3.0M per season for last season when he was injured, this season when he hasn't even suited up, and next season. This is even before his 0 salary extension for the 2012/13 season.

They can't get the guy on the field to showcase his talents to potential buyers because they believe he's a liability to the squad's performances (as proven by the fact that he is now the last choice defender @ Milan)

They now have to hope that someone takes him on loan (paid for by Milan) so that he can see game time and showcase his talent elsewhere, so they can try to sell him in the Summer.

The Hargreaves example a few posts ago was funny. Clearly it's a farce that SM have him rated as highly as they do. The guy shouldn't be @ 89. But we are talking about a guy in Hargreaves who (much like Ledley King) worked his butt-off to try to get healthy again, but it never panned out for him.

Onyewu is a much different scenario.

Before Onyewu was injured he didn't play. Now that he has been healthy for the past 6 months he has been demoted to the last choice defender and he still doesn't even play or even suit up. He clearly isn't a priority for the team and they likely want to sell him ASAP. However, they also think that his skill-level is so poor that despite really wanting to sell him, they can't afford to put him on the pitch for fear that he'll negatively affect the squad's performances.

He'll be loaned out in January and sold in the Summer.

Milan will be lucky to recoup (in Transfer Fees) ANY of the €9M in salary that Onyewu is entitled to under his current contract.

This guy is as bad as it gets. If that knucklehead Bob Bradley invites Onyewu within 50 miles of the USNT set-up expect pressure on Bradley to go. Personally if that happens I will start rooting for Mexico until Bradley is sacked.

So when are you getting your Mexico jersey?

So when are you getting your Mexico jersey?

Ha !

With Bradley' date=' none of the guy's negative tactics to the USNT set-up surprise me anymore... so I wouldn't be shocked.[/b'] But consider that there was A LOT of pressure on Bradley after the WC to step aside as his tactics and progression of youth are abysmal. I think even in his own mind he knew it was time to go, but after the Villa job didn't materialize in the Summer, he very quickly signed an extension @ the USNT.

Even if Onyewu was seeing game time for a Club, he just shouldn't get into the squad anymore. He is far from the US's "best defender" as someone erroneously stated earlier in this thread. In fact he's probably not even the 4th or 5th or 6th or 7th best CB anymore. There is just too much good young talent from the US @ that position anymore. If Bradley was to put him in there, it would be as a detriment to furthering the USNT. Hell...even Ranger's Maurice Edu is a better CB than Onyewu, and that guy is a midfielder !

Ha !

With Bradley' date=' none of the guy's negative tactics to the USNT set-up surprise me anymore... so I wouldn't be shocked.[/b'] But consider that there was A LOT of pressure on Bradley after the WC to step aside as his tactics and progression of youth are abysmal. I think even in his own mind he knew it was time to go, but after the Villa job didn't materialize in the Summer, he very quickly signed an extension @ the USNT.

Even if Onyewu was seeing game time for a Club, he just shouldn't get into the squad anymore. He is far from the US's "best defender" as someone erroneously stated earlier in this thread. In fact he's probably not even the 4th or 5th or 6th or 7th best CB anymore. There is just too much good young talent from the US @ that position anymore. If Bradley was to put him in there, it would be as a detriment to furthering the USNT. Hell...even Ranger's Maurice Edu is a better CB than Onyewu, and that guy is a midfielder !

TBH it is because of his tactics that the USNT sort of made a name for themselves, i dont see him leavingthe job anytime soon unless as you said, a EPL/OTHER MAJOR LEAGUE offer comes round.

Sort of.... But it doesn't get you to the next level.

Parking a bus gets you to a certain level' date=' but you never get beyond it.[/b'] (and I am not talking about Mourinho @ Camp Nou after Inter dismantled Barca @ the San Siro). Just look @ teams like Blackburn anymore or on an international level, the US. You play on your heels for 87 minutes and kick the crapp out of everyone, and then hope that the one somewhat creative player on your team can come up with a miracle on the counter attack. Playing to undisciplined teams like Costa Rica or Honduras or even Mexico on US soil is one thing, but going away, it's exactly like it is when the US play on the European continent for a friendly (11 guys behind the ball and the US loses 2-0 and lucky not to get absolutely dismantled).

At some point Bradley's repetitive & tiresome 4-5-1 defensive doesn't translate well to a country of 310 Million people with +15 Million kids under the age of 16 playing organized futbol. All you have to do is look around what is going on in the youth set-ups in the US to see the backlash that Bradley's archaic British youth development mantra is experiencing. Parents are ripping their kids out of the regimented British systems with the ex-pat coaches that Bradley endorses and putting them into youth systems where the fields are smaller and greater emphasis is on creativity. It's happening everywhere in the States (not just NYC), and it goes in direct contrast to how Bradley is running the show.

Bradley's has been down right ABYSMAL for years and years, when you consider his tactics for youth development and extending the reach of the players available to the USNT set-up. He should be ashamed of how he let guys like Subotic and Michael Hoyos get away. Instead he stuck with his same guys like Onyewu, who fit his thug system, rather than realizing that the US was on the verge of having a ton of goof futbol talent emerge DESPITE the negative US youth development.

Playing no-talent thugs like Onyewu is just wrong, especially when there are guys just as big as Onyewu is, but with infinitely higher futbol IQs and better skills who are also US citizens.

Its fair to say then hes taken the team as far as he could, and now needs to pass on to someone else, but who?

Hiddink i dear say?

TBH it is because of his tactics that the USNT sort of made a name for themselves' date=' i dont see him leavingthe job anytime soon unless as you said, a EPL/OTHER MAJOR LEAGUE offer comes round.[/quote']

Sort of.... But it doesn't get you to the next level.

Parking a bus gets you to a certain level, but you never get beyond it. (and I am not talking about Mourinho @ Camp Nou after Inter dismantled Barca @ the San Siro). Just look @ teams like Blackburn anymore or on an international level, the US. You play on your heels for 87 minutes and kick the crapp out of everyone, and then hope that the one somewhat creative player on your team can come up with a miracle on the counter attack. Playing to undisciplined teams like Costa Rica or Honduras or even Mexico on US soil is one thing, but going away, it's exactly like it is when the US play on the European continent for a friendly (11 guys behind the ball and the US loses 2-0 and lucky not to get absolutely dismantled).

At some point Bradley's repetitive & tiresome 4-5-1 defensive doesn't translate well to a country of 310 Million people with +15 Million kids under the age of 16 playing organized futbol.

Read those numbers again and put that into perspective of other countries. And then figure that for the most part the US has only had an appetite for futbol for the past 30 years (i.e. when Ryan Giggs started playing) and it gives you a good understanding of how far this country can go in this sport. It also gives you a good understanding of what a guy like Bradley is responsible for and how he is not meeting the challenge anymore.

All you have to do is look around what is going on in the youth set-ups in the US to see the backlash that Bradley's archaic British youth development mantra is experiencing. Parents are ripping their kids out of the regimented British systems with the ex-pat coaches that Bradley endorses and putting them into youth systems where the fields are smaller and greater emphasis is on creativity. It's happening everywhere in the States (not just NYC), and it goes in direct contrast to how Bradley is running the show.

Bradley's has been down right ABYSMAL for years and years, when you consider his tactics for youth development and extending the reach of the players available to the USNT set-up. He should be ashamed of how he let guys like Subotic and Michael Hoyos get away. Instead he stuck with his same guys like Onyewu, who fit his thug system, rather than realizing that the US was on the verge of having a ton of goof futbol talent emerge DESPITE the negative US youth development.

Playing no-talent thugs like Onyewu is just wrong, especially when there are guys just as big as Onyewu is, but with infinitely higher futbol IQs and better skills who are also US citizens.

Its fair to say then hes taken the team as far as he could' date=' and now needs to pass on to someone else, but who?

Hiddink i dear say?

I would love Marcelo Bielsa here (ex-Chile).

Whoever it is, I will tell you this, having someone from the British-mold isn't going to translate anymore. It doesn't resonate with the good younger players breaking on to the USNT scenes (NT, U20, U19, etc...) and it doesn't resonate with the parents of younger kids.