Jermaine Beckford

Seftinho

This player is widely known, but also I feel widely under-rated by everyone but League 1 fans (or people that have seen him play on regular occasions) and will soon be worth a buy (and needs a topic).

I would also like to add that it would be suggested not to buy him now, as he won't be rising whilst in League 1. But trust me, he won't be in League 1 for long.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jermaine Beckford is a 25 year old striker for Leeds United. He was signed from non-league side Wealdstone, after scoring 38 goals in 29 games.

Now you may be wondering why I have posted about a 25 year old player who won't rise, and certainly isn't a youngster. Here's why...

smbeckfordpicbl0.png

Beckford joined Leeds in 2006 at the age of just 22, but was quickly loaned out to Carlisle. He returned to Leeds to make his debut shortly after his 23rd birthday, but quickly left to Shorpe on loan, where he scored what was eventually named 'Goal of the Season'...

Hx2UkwdhgYI

He returned to Leeds for the 07/08 season, which was to be Leeds first in League 1. With the likes of Healy, Moore, Blake all leaving Beckford found himself plunged straight into the first team alongside Kandol. And whereas Kandol hit the spotlight first, a stunning overhead kick saw Beckford win over the fans and from there on in never really stopped scoring. He went on to become a fans favourite and arguably Leeds best player, scoring some absolute crackers. He scored 20 league goals in that first season and was awarded Players Player of the Season and Fans Player of the Season.

w4wAEGXGgqU

Going in to 08/09 he stuck loyal to Leeds and stayed with them in League 1. He was in great scoring form for the season and led the scoring charts in the early stages with 8 league goals. He got his first hat-trick of the season in just the 2nd game (LC match), during the rout of Chester. Can you spot the wondergoal (Hint: 1:08)?

cESsbseJm4M

An injury saw Leeds slip right down the table and Beckford drop off the scoring charts, and perhaps cost him a chance of setting Leeds history. As once he returned he scored a brace to hit number 20's and 21 for the season, the first player to hit the 20 goal mark by February in 3 decades since the great Peter Lorimer. And two more goals against Millwall have seen him rise back into the top scoring charts.

He is vital for Leeds, with his excellent pace, great composure and stunning finish. He has every attribute needed to be a great striker, and the only thing holding him back is his loyalty to Leeds. Here's a video of these attributes in action:

sCZD4WuNbrk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, on SM?

I recommend you don't buy him now, as he won't rise this season and is quite expensive (transfer fee and wages wise). But I can assure you he won't be in League 1 for long, and I feel he will definitely be playing in a higher division next season - be it with Leeds or another club.

You may be wondering why he's still 80 rated? Apparently he hasn't proven himself in a higher division (although a super strike against Palace may make some people beg to differ...). But mark my words; once he is in a higher division he will take it by storm. If he joins a Championship club I feel he could go all the way to hit 85 before the season ends - he has the potential.

And with a number of Premiership clubs lurking.. who knows he might even end up in the EPL before too long.

Re: Jermaine Beckford

nice post seft

he is a nice little player with a hell of an eye for goal.

that shorpe one was incredible

what prem. clubs are looking at him ?

and his brother travis.beckford won wayne.rooney's street striker :P

Derby when they were in the Prem, Fulham and Blackburn in the summer, Fulham and Bolton in Jan. :)

The lad is class...I was at Elland Rd on Monday night and the first goal he scored underlines why we will be lucky to hold onto him....carbon copy of the goal he scored against Shorpe !!

Ps. For what its worth I (hope) think we might hold onto him....he's a Leeds fan himself and wants to fire us back up the divisions where we belong....anyone remember "what shirt am I wearing Bruv ??" when he was strongly linked to Derby ??

Beckford ?? LEGEND ...(from a very biased rose tinted glasses wearing poster)

EDIT: Not the brightest button in the box !!

(what shirt am I wearing bruv ??)

• 3 weeks later...

Scored another brace as Leeds beat Shorpe 3-2. Goals can be viewed from the following link:

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/leeds%252Bv%252Bshorpe/video/x8j0x8_leeds-3-v-2-shorpe_sport

But that's not why I bumped this thread, the reason I posted is because I just found out Beckford's stats.

He has scored 25 goals from 31 appearances in 08/09.

I would call that impressive. I have no doubt in my mind that if he hadn't missed a large number of games through suspension and injury he would be above Fryatt in the charts and have scored 30+ by now.

Biased as a Millwall die hard? You decide but I have my doubts over Beckford ever filling the potential you guys and many others can see, all due to his attitude. You see it time and time again with promising players who never really make it due to being too big for their boots.

The elbow on David Forde was assult, plain and simple and his reaction after the game was shameful and showed his attitude as a proffesional, or non-professional in my books. I have no doubts that he will lash out again, be it at an opponent, team member or manager either verbally or physically but through and the talent and great goal scoring ability is the violent side that if he doesnt shift, will cost him his chance to make it big.

Rant over :P

Biased as a Millwall die hard? You decide but I have my doubts over Beckford ever filling the potential you guys and many others can see' date=' all due to his attitude. You see it time and time again with promising players who never really make it due to being too big for their boots.

The elbow on David Forde was assult, plain and simple and his reaction after the game was shameful and showed his attitude as a proffesional, or non-professional in my books. I have no doubts that he will lash out again, be it at an opponent, team member or manager either verbally or physically but through and the talent and great goal scoring ability is the violent side that if he doesnt shift, will cost him his chance to make it big.

Rant over :P[/quote']

I don't think a Millwall fan should be talking about assault tbh..

Biased as a Millwall die hard? You decide but I have my doubts over Beckford ever filling the potential you guys and many others can see' date=' all due to his attitude. You see it time and time again with promising players who never really make it due to being too big for their boots.

Rant over :P[/quote']

Beckford's elbow on Forde wasn't even deliberate. He was having a tussle with the defender, Forde pushed him slightly, Beckford retaliated and caught him in the face. Yes, it was a stupid thing to do, but deliberate? No.

But what you have said about it costing his potential is one of my biggest fears.

HA HA' date=' that's rich indeed, we have a few nutters who organised fights and called themselves Millwall Fan's in the 80's and 90's and all of a sudden we are all thugs who fight every week[/quote']

I beg to differ actually. ;) Been to 2 Millwall games in the last 2 seasons (both for Swindon), and the Millwall fans went crazy both times. There was fights afterwards, and in 07/08 there was only one another team that had fights. Couple of fans arrested at the game as well.

I'm definitely not going to be prejudiced against all of you; every team has the crazy fans, but Millwall seem to have more of them, and that minority seem to be crazier than the rest.

It was 100% deliberate, he looked round at Forde and swung his elbow back hard, did you see the damage he did? Also Beckford is smaller then Forde so threw his elbow upwards otherwise wouldn't have hit him in the face. It was deliberate, the camera's never lie.

I agree with you fully that the guy is mega talented and in my view could one day play for England, I do however have concerns over his attitude and professionilsm and would hate to see him not forfill his potential becuase he has too many falling outs on the way that's all

It was 100% deliberate' date=' he looked round at Forde and swung his elbow back hard, did you see the damage he did? Also Beckford is smaller then Forde so threw his elbow upwards otherwise wouldn't have hit him in the face. It was deliberate, the camera's never lie.

[/quote']

I disagree fully. But then, I doubt we are ever going to agree. :P

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/leeds%2Bv%2Bmillwall/video/x8bina_leeds-2-v-0-millwall_sport

0:37. Decide what you will. He didn't look, he just swung to try and get the player off him, unfortunately catching him in the face. No malice.

NB: It helps to watch it in slow motion like I did countless times at the time.

Credit to your manager for not making a fuss. Certain managers *cough* SAF/Arsene*cough* certainly would have.

Nice thread. Leicester were after Beckford in January. :)

Haha? :confused: Why would he go to another League 1 club when he turned down Premiership Derby last year?

Agree with you there :D Only Jermaine knows for sure but no doubt that he is a very talented player and should be a futue England star if he carries on.

Got him in most of my teams already :D KUTGW Seftinho you made me a fortune with some of your risers!

I disagree fully. But then' date=' I doubt we are ever going to agree. :P

[url']http://www.dailymotion.com/search/leeds%2Bv%2Bmillwall/video/x8bina_leeds-2-v-0-millwall_sport[/url]

0:37. Decide what you will. He didn't look, he just swung to try and get the player off him, unfortunately catching him in the face. No malice.

NB: It helps to watch it in slow motion like I did countless times at the time.

He swung to get the player off him? I've just watched that 4 times and i'm sure he meant it. You don't swing your elbow like that to shrug a player off you so for me there's definitely malice there. C'mon it's Leeds v Millwall of course there's malice!!

It was 100% deliberate' date=' he looked round at Forde and swung his elbow back hard, did you see the damage he did? Also Beckford is smaller then Forde so threw his elbow upwards otherwise wouldn't have hit him in the face. It was deliberate, the camera's never lie.

I agree with you fully that the guy is mega talented and in my view could one day play for England, I do however have concerns over his attitude and professionilsm and would hate to see him not forfill his potential becuase he has too many falling outs on the way that's all[/quote']I agree with you, his embarrasing response to being questioned on it after the game told you everything you need to know about intent or otherwise. If it was accidental you'd have known, his smirk and faux innocence spoke volumes.

He swung to get the player off him? I've just watched that 4 times and i'm sure he meant it. You don't swing your elbow like that to shrug a player off you so for me there's definitely malice there. C'mon it's Leeds v Millwall of course there's malice!!

He retaliated, simple as. I seriously doubt that at the time he was thinking "I want to knock this guy out". He was having a tussle, got an arm over his shoulder and retaliated. Beckford may be a big player, but he's not one for malice.

I agree with you' date=' his embarrasing response to being questioned on it after the game told you everything you need to know about intent or otherwise. If it was accidental you'd have known, his smirk and faux innocence spoke volumes.[/quote']

Different people react in different ways. Did you expect him to say, "Yes I smashed him in the face and should be punished"? He knows what he did, he admitted it was stupid afterwards in a seperate interview, but at the time he just tried to laugh it off. Doesn't make it deliberate assault.