• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Spain Vs England

this game is just men against boys - tbh this spain team reminds me of the french teams from 1996-2002 - excellent first team, top quality players on the bench (and guys like arteta and raul cant even get into the squad!!!) and there's an air of inevitability about them - ah well, at least a lot of them play in england!

Bar the commentary, the only thing that will annoy me about this match is the media storm tomorrow. The papers need to remember that this is only a friendly match against Europe's best team (I mean, did anyone think we were going to get an outstanding result against them?), and that we aren't fielding our supposedly strongest team, and using some of our fringe players (Carlton Cole is useless).

Then again, I suppose this will prematurely burst any bubble starting to form around the fans. We're not going to develop into a team that can beat the best just like that. We may be England, but we're not that good yet. Fans (and the media) need to remember this.

Bar the commentary' date=' the only thing that will annoy me about this match is the media storm tomorrow. The papers need to remember that this is only a friendly match against Europe's best team (I mean, did anyone think we were going to get an outstanding result against them?), and that we aren't fielding our supposedly strongest team, and using some of our fringe players (Carlton Cole is useless).

Then again, I suppose this will prematurely burst any bubble starting to form around the fans. We're not going to develop into a team that can beat the best just like that. We may be England, but we're not that good yet. Fans (and the media) need to remember this.[/quote']

scary thing is i though brazil were much better than spain but weve got two years until the world cup to build i suppose.

Llorente is from Villarreal isnt he?

Llorente plays for Athletico Bilbao

I thought that the match overall wasent a good match . England Didnt attack well in the first half because spain were making england chase the ball which was making them tired . I didnt think Villa and Torres attacked well . But iniesta He Played amazing and thoguth he was the best out there , I thought david beckham made a difference to England . He was putting balls out to Shaun wright phillips and made a great ball to Carlton cole which he could of scored his fir internaitional goal for england , So we didnt play aswell as i thought we would of . But it was against spain

I'm sure the press might kick up a stink but not that bad a game for England really. Pretty much a full strength Spanish side against a half strength english side. Not the right game for Gabby, could really have done with Rooney dropping off and giving Senna problems, Gerrard, Walcott, Cole, Ferdinand. Was surprised Ashley Young didn't get the nod ahead of Downing.

Apparently there might be a return fixture at Wembley next year so that'll be interesting.

I was dissapointed we didn't score more. Guiza out of the National Team' date=' Raul in. Llorente is a beast, he is on fire for Athletico, and I think he will be our new Torres, Torres = Overrated, LLorente = future NT CF.[/quote']

I think more than 2-0 would have been unfair on England. The first goal was a little bit of luck then pure class and the second goal was just bad marking. England didn't pass well but didn't deserve more than 2 goals against them.

I was disappointed not to see Milner and A.Young come on...

Before the game Capello was saying how he always picked players on form, but surley Milner and Young are playing better than Downing and Wright-Phillips in the last few months????? And they did not even get a mention!!!

Everyone knows Agbonlahor and Young work best together, they are a double act, they know what each other is thinking.

All in all a very poor game for England, Spain deserved more than the 2 goals.

I was disappointed not to see Milner and A.Young come on...

Before the game Capello was saying how he always picked players on form' date=' but surley Milner and Young are playing better than Downing and Wright-Phillips in the last few months????? And they did not even get a mention!!!

Everyone knows Agbonlahor and Young work best together, they are a double act, they know what each other is thinking.

All in all a very poor game for England, Spain deserved more than the 2 goals.[/quote']

I can only imagine that he didn't want them to get injured etc. due to Villa's small squad and the high amount of games they've played. One thing Capello isn't is a BS'er.

Only saw the first half but I think that was enough :o

Johnson isn't good enough for England, neither is Jagielka although to be honest they are world class compared to the muppet that is Downing. Can understand why McClaren played him with 'Boro connections but thought Capello would be able to see how awful he is :rolleyes:

Wonder what would of happened if Heskey had stayed on his feet and not been given offside when he was clearly on when it was 0-0. He played well imo, think we could do with Rooney joining him and Agbonlahor up front and see how that goes

James = less said the better :o We really need a top class keeper... unfortunate Ben Foster has had injuries or I think he would be first choice by now

And some of the spanish players were almost as bad as Ronaldo for diving :rolleyes:

Anywho, rant over :)

Only saw the first half but I think that was enough :o

Johnson isn't good enough for England' date=' neither is Jagielka although to be honest they are world class compared to the muppet that is Downing. Can understand why McClaren played him with 'Boro connections but thought Capello would be able to see how awful he is :rolleyes:

Wonder what would of happened if Heskey had stayed on his feet and not been given offside when he was clearly on when it was 0-0. He played well imo, think we could do with Rooney joining him and Agbonlahor up front and see how that goes

James = less said the better :o We really need a top class keeper... unfortunate Ben Foster has had injuries or I think he would be first choice by now

And some of the spanish players were almost as bad as Ronaldo for diving :rolleyes:

Anywho, rant over :)[/quote']

I know I might be a bit biased, but I actually thought Johnson was 1 of the better players on the night.

I honestly don't see what the fuss is about over Foster. He's not that impressive, and is already 25. He never impressed me, not in the Championship or the Premiership. Good, no doubt, but not brilliant.

The problem with England is that we have no top class GK. I would personally rate Almunia above all the current English GK's. But out of the current GK's, Hart (due to his age - play him now and could become great) or Robinson are the best IMO.

And I rate Johnson highly, I thought him and Cole played quite well tbh. Terry and Jagielka failed to impress, although Upson was OK when he came on.

Don't understand why Young didn't get a chance tough.

And Carlton Cole? Seriously? He's the most over-rated player I've seen...