Spain Vs England

Aza Bolam

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Spain Vs England

If any foreign player ever plays 1 minute for the English National team' date=' I will lose all interest in International football. Howver bad our players are, "borrowing" players from other nations would ruin the international game.[/quote']

i think its bad enough when someone chooses to play for a country because of their grandmother etc, never mind just living in the country for 5 years im with you arterta is not english his spannish and always will be.

if this is the case we shouldnt be called england and should be called england/spain i mean eduardo should never play for croatia he moved there when he was 13 f8ucking 13:eek:

If any foreign player ever plays 1 minute for the English National team' date=' I will lose all interest in International football. Howver bad our players are, "borrowing" players from other nations would ruin the international game.[/quote']

Agreed, no matter how good they are, they aren't English ;)

However, I would love to see Aguero play for England :D

half reserve team england against a full strength spain... there will only ever be one result and thats a spain win.

i thought that jagielka did well minus that error. glen johnson played well and looked comfortable on the ball. same with carlton cole when he came on.

did anyone else notice that carrick and barry werent as good a pairing as carrick and lampard.

and what the fluff was david james up to when he spilled the ball?!?! that made me laugh yet also think why wasnt hart or green played from the start.

looking forward to the slovakia and ukraine matches in march/april AS IM GOING TO BOTH! woo my first visit to wembley

I hate that rule and also the grandparent rule. If your English you should only be allowed to play for England. If your Spannish you should only be allowed to play for Spain. I don't know how players can play for a different national team tbh. There have been a good few English players playing for Ireland in the past eg Morrison, Carsley etc and brazilian Deco playing for Portugal, brazilian Senna playing for Spain, Brazilian Eduardo playing for Croatia etc. Tbh if I got the chance to play for Ireland or Spain I would choose Ireland because I'm proud of where I come from and I love my country where as I can't say that the players that I listed above just to name a few feel the same (although I'm a massive fan of Senna :)) and also if I was manager of my national team I wouldn't take any foreigners because they wouldn't understand what it takes to put on the jersey and play in front of the fans and they wouldn't be as passionate as the other players who are actually from the country

Yes' date=' they have.[/quote']

It's different though, Hargreaves chose English as his country straight away, he could of played for Canada, England or I think Wales because of his family - he chose England

Arteta and Almunia are different because it's only the fact that they've played here so long without playing for their own country - remember a few years back everyone wanted Cudicini as keeper :rolleyes:

It's different though' date=' Hargreaves chose English as his country straight away, he could of played for Canada, England or I think Wales because of his family - he chose England

Arteta and Almunia are different because it's only the fact that they've played here so long without playing for their own country - remember a few years back everyone wanted Cudicini as keeper :rolleyes:[/quote']

Oh ok.

Yeah i new about that.

I heard that Jimmy Bullard nearly got picked for Germany because his grandma was German.

I heard that Jimmy Bullard nearly got picked for Germany because his grandma was German.

i think it was more jimmy bullard wanting to play for germany not the other way around - how on earth would he get into their squad anyway?

why not - just about every other major country have done it to some extent and as long as they put 100% into every game i dont really see what is wrong with it - if they are english/british citizens then they have every right to play for england as much as someone born in this country, and as long as they feel some affiliation and loyalty to the country i cant see why people would have a problem, some foreigners in the UK probably love the UK more and care more about the NT than some people born and raised in the uk. and in the case of arteta, he's someone who went out of his way to immerse himself into the culture of the city that he lives in, so why wouldnt someone want that type of person playing for england, regardless of where they were born?

the only thing that i have a problem with is what qatar did a few years ago and literally offered cash for passports to some brazilians in the bundesliga (ailton and dede i thinl) - that is 100% wrong.

I hate that rule and also the grandparent rule. If your English you should only be allowed to play for England.

how far do you go back - say for example your parents were missionaries and you were born in uganda and spent your early years there but your parents are english - would they be ineligible to play for england? likewise if your parents were born and raised in india but you were born and raised in england - would you be eligible for england or india? and what about people who come over as refugees when they are young? this is not a black and white issue - many shades of grey here

brazilian Senna playing for Spain

brazil must be really kicking themselves over that one ;)

I wouldn't take any foreigners because they wouldn't understand what it takes to put on the jersey and play in front of the fans and they wouldn't be as passionate as the other players who are actually from the country

i respectfully disagree - if a player was literally a nobody in their homeland but went abroad and became good enough to represent that team then I'm pretty sure that for many it'd mean a great deal to them, even though it is their adopted nation they'd feel as much pride as anyone else

how far do you go back - say for example your parents were missionaries and you were born in uganda and spent your early years there but your parents are english - would they be ineligible to play for england? likewise if your parents were born and raised in india but you were born and raised in england - would you be eligible for england or india? and what about people who come over as refugees when they are young? this is not a black and white issue - many shades of grey here [/Quote]

I can understand why some players play for a different country through the grandparent rule. Maybe they want to make their parents/grandparents proud by representing their country but a lot of players just go to different countries to play first team football at the highest level.

I get where your coming from. If you moved country when you were really young and you were too young to really understand what it was like to be passionate about your country then I guess you would become passionate about the about the country that you moved to (if you know what I mean :o)

i respectfully disagree - if a player was literally a nobody in their homeland but went abroad and became good enough to represent that team then I'm pretty sure that for many it'd mean a great deal to them' date=' even though it is their adopted nation they'd feel as much pride as anyone else[/quote']

Yeah I know it would mean a lot but I think the players from the country would be more passionate as they are from that country and they are representing their own people. Every football fan dreams of representing their country and if they do it means so much to them and they will put in 110% every match and every training. You even see it at club level, look at Gerrard and Carragher. The two local boys from Liverpool. Liverpool's heart and sole. They will put their bodies on the line to win a 80-20 ball going against them :)

Yeah I know it would mean a lot but I think the players from the country would be more passionate as they are from that country and they are representing their own people.

for most countries i'd agree with you on that but the countries that are 'melting pots' (the likes of the UK, US, Australia etc.) where there are many different ethnicities/nationalities then you could say that they are representing their own e.g. mikel arteta playing for england could be seen as him representing someone like jon alonso who was born to spanish parents (btw jon alonso is xabi alonso's son who was born in the UK)

I felt just like you lot before, but tbh, look around. Almost every country has at least one player who's not from that nationality.

At the Olympics we had Jamaicans fcs.

What's the difference? I would happily see Cudicini, Arteta or even Almunia play in an England shirt.

Stop living in the past.

And what's the difference between Hargreaves playing for England or Arteta playing for England?

Hargreaves was born in Canada but has lived for England long enough to be a citizen. Arteta is the same, be it slightly older.

I have a friend who moved to England from Zimbabwe when he was younger - say he was good enough to play for England, should he not be allowed?

for most countries i'd agree with you on that but the countries that are 'melting pots' (the likes of the UK' date=' US, Australia etc.) where there are many different ethnicities/nationalities then you could say that they are representing their own e.g. mikel arteta playing for england could be seen as him representing someone like jon alonso who was born to spanish parents (btw jon alonso is xabi alonso's son who was born in the UK)[/quote']

Yeah I know what you mean and I respect your opinions

But Mikel Arteta would be representing the English people, he would be representing John Alonso because he is English. Where as if he was playing for Spain, he would be representing his own people, he is representing Spains achievements (as in trying to retain the European cup in a couple of years and making history for the Spannish to remember for a lifetime) and most importantly he is representing the country.

I felt just like you lot before' date=' but tbh, look around. Almost every country has at least one player who's not from that nationality.

At the Olympics we had Jamaicans fcs.

What's the difference? I would happily see Cudicini, Arteta or even Almunia play in an England shirt.

Stop living in the past.

And what's the difference between Hargreaves playing for England or Arteta playing for England?

Hargreaves was born in Canada but has lived for England long enough to be a citizen. Arteta is the same, be it slightly older.

I have a friend who moved to England from Zimbabwe when he was younger - say he was good enough to play for England, should he not be allowed?[/quote']

I don't want to argue with anyone. I just want to share my opinions :)

Yes I know Hargreaves has lived in England long enough to be a citizen but IMO he disrespects his country by playing for England because he is not English. Look at it this way, if I was Canadian I would hate Hargreaves (although I already do :P) because every boy including me wants to play for their country and he has a chance in a life time to do so (although I doubt it would be too hard to get on the Canadian team :P) and he decides to play for England instead. If Canada were as good as England and England were as bad as Canada lol :D I bet he would be playing for Canada right now.

I don't want to argue with anyone. I just want to share my opinions :)

Yes I know Hargreaves has lived in England long enough to be a citizen but IMO he disrespects his country by playing for England because he is not English. Look at it this way' date=' if I was Canadian I would hate Hargreaves (although I already do :P) because every boy including me wants to play for their country and he has a chance in a life time to do so (although I doubt it would be too hard to get on the Canadian team :P) and he decides to play for England instead. If Canada were as good as England and England were as bad as Canada lol :D I bet he would be playing for Canada right now.[/quote']

Who can balme him for going to the better at country.I don't think he envisged getting hammered everytime he pulled on the canandian shirt.It made sense to go and play for England as after the world cup his carear only went up and overall it was good move for him where as if he was playing for Canada he might not have got noticed

I am probs wrong but isn't raceism also like saying you hate the Spanish or something:confused: :confused:

I think it is up to them who they want to play for

Sorry mate but point out where one of us said that we hate the Spannish :confused:

We are not being racist at all, we are just discussing whether players should play for their own country or not

Its been talked about a lot over the years, its got noting to do with racism

Who can balme him for going to the better at country.I don't think he envisged getting hammered everytime he pulled on the canandian shirt.It made sense to go and play for England as after the world cup his carear only went up and overall it was good move for him where as if he was playing for Canada he might not have got noticed

But thats not the point what I'm trying to make, it doesn't matter whether your nation is good or bad. You should be proud and priviledged to be able to represent your country :)

But thats not the point what I'm trying to make' date=' it doesn't matter whether your nation is good or bad. You should be proud and priviledged to be able to represent your country :)[/quote']

Well if he didn't choose england he wuld be at Bayern who aren't going places IMO and would not be anywhere near the level he is now