Has The Time Come For Camera Replays?

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

I hate to say it as I think human error has always been part of the game, but has the time come for camera replays on important decisions? The more I watch football, the more I think the time has come to use modern technology to assist the game for the better. The referees are clearly not up to the job (in my opinion) to spot every detail of a football match. Maybe its time to introduce a system like in tennis and American football where there are something like three times from each team when you can stop play to let the camera decide what went on. This would eliminate abuse of the system and allow a fairer account for all. Another thing I would love to see is the FA studying every premier league match after the event and to pick out players who deliberately dive or feign injury to get another player booked or sent off, if found to be guilty after the fact, he would be punished just as he would be during the game, this I feel would eliminate all these fairy's who go down like a pansy every time their hair is out of place, I was going to use stronger language but I respect the forum and I think you get the gist of what I mean. The time has come IMO to use modern tech to push the game forward and stop all these terrible mistakes made by ref's and to stop players from diving which I think is the worst thing in our game. David.

Re: Has The Time Come For Camera Replays?

Its an interesting topic, but i Pray its never put into practise.

I hate sitting at home watching 10000 replays of whether a foot has touched the line before the ball has been placed on the ground (Rugby)

Its a prime Example of how a fast paced sports can be slowed down by

technologies small technicalities. I, like many others, like my Footy/Soccer Skilfull and Fast.

Take the bad calls as they Come. They give us an excuse of why our team lost on the Weekends when were with Mates anyway :P

Its an interesting topic' date=' but i Pray its never put into practise.

I hate sitting at home watching 10000 replays of whether a foot has touched the line before the ball has been placed on the ground (Rugby)

technologies small technicalities. I, like many others, like my Footy/Soccer Skilfull and Fast.

Take the bad calls as they Come. They give us an excuse of why our team lost on the Weekends when were with Mates anyway :P[/quote']

Its suits rugby just fine but would not be suitable for football and it not as bad as you make it out

Its suits rugby just fine but would not be suitable for football and it not as bad as you make it out

Ohk Ill admit I may have over exadurated a Touch,

But just to emphasise a point of what countless amounts of replys

can do to the tempo of any sport

A good game is a Quick Game

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Its an interesting topic' date=' but i Pray its never put into practise.

Take the bad calls as they Come. They give us an excuse of why our team lost on the Weekends when were with Mates anyway :P[/quote']

There is a difference between a bad call and a call that potentially costs you the game. For instance, I just watched Sao Paulo play Corinthians and as the player got up from being tackled, he literally slapped the defender in the stomach, not a punch more like a tap, well the defender went down like he had just been shot by a high pwered rifle, the ref saw nothing as play was gone so it was left to the jostling defenders around him as they pointed to the linesman, after a FIVE minute altercation between ref and linesman, the player got sent off, this is just one incident among the many that officials don't pick up, and a quick word to the 4th official would have sorted it out poste haste, the cameraman was still on the two players after the ball was cleared so we all got a good view. As I said, I'm not wanting the coach shouting CAMERA everytime there is an incident, perhaps 3/4 maximum per team per game and only for serious decisions like penalties, offside goals that were onside etc. I don't want the game to stop flowing but it's obvious from watching referees over the past couple of seasons that the game has moved on and is too fast for these guys. Time for technology to come into play without spoiling the game.

And I seriously think that neutral officials watch at least every premiership match afterwards and have the power to fine, discipline these guys who feign injury or dive in the box or any other form of cheating and abuse. This would eradicate all these wimps who go down like the proverbial sack of "cement" lol, and abuse the rules of the game.

I'm sure people wouldn't care if the game was halted for about 2 mins while the 4th Official see's a reply especially if the decision is against your time, if refs and officials can't see clear things like the Roy Carrol and Tottenham incident, the Lampard Red Card agaisnt Liverpool, Video Footage is needed.

I reckon what is need is a Rugby/Tennis approach.

Hawk-eye for football I do not agree with because it does not work for all cases like fouls. However the system of Hawk-eye whereby you get an x number of appeals would work so they are not just used fruitlessly and to aviod slowing the game down.

I think a video referee is needed, where they would have the final say over fouls, penatlies, goals etc. They would only have a set time limit to view the incident, a maximum of 30 seconds, for example, to see it a few times and make a decision. This would minimise slowing the game down to an extent. Seeing as this video referee is sitting down somewhere in the stadium, they should also have the rules of offside/fouls/penalties etc so they make the right decision EVERY TIME.

My only concern is: If a player is deemed to have been offside but it is revoked, what happens next? A free kick to the attacking side is a little unfair considering the referee stopped a potential 1v1.

I think the time has come. Refereeing decisions are getting worse day by day and many teams are being cheated out of important points. But the question is how do you implement it? It's quite safe to suggest that technology can't be used to determine each and every decisions. One thing for which it is a must is the one to rule if the ball has crossed the goaline or not. In fact I am surprised it hasn't been implemented yet. Secondly what I think must be done is something like what they have in Tennis. Teams are given 3 challenges and the captain has the discrepancy to use it any time. Should the game go into extra time teams be given 1 extra challenge. In this case there won't be a challenge for each and every tackle but teams have the option to use it effectivle i.e in case of a sending off or a disallowed goal or a penalty etc.

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

I am from the old school :) and I'm always wary when change occurs. It's pretty clear that officials are NOT just getting the odd thing wrong, in the past few months alone I have seen absurd decisions that have decided the outcome of a good match, I certainly don't want to slow the game down at all but think of the time spent when a player is on the ground writhing in agony, only to get the decision and then get up and take the free kick/penalty. If we had officials looking at games, (premier) after the game was played, they could impose fines and disciplinary action on players blatantly flouting the laws of the game, no it wouldn't change the match score but it would deter players from swan diving in the future. It takes approximately under ONE MINUTE to replay a video and for the 4th official to give a decision. Either they bring in technology or they really upgrade the officials to a status where they have the ability to keep on top of the game, at the moment, this ain't happening and its spoiling the game.

I think a video referee is needed' date=' where they would have the final say over fouls, penatlies, goals etc. They would only have a set time limit to view the incident, a maximum of 30 seconds, for example, to see it a few times and make a decision. This would minimise slowing the game down to an extent. Seeing as this video referee is sitting down somewhere in the stadium, they should also have the rules of offside/fouls/penalties etc so they make the right decision EVERY TIME.[/quote']

I think that, if a video referee is introduced, he would only spend time on big calls, perhaps only when questioned by one of the linesmen or the referee. This way, the flow of the game would only occasionally be hindered. This sport is one of the most fluid sports in the world. Almost every other game is stop & go. Hopefully, technology will not ruin that great aspect of the game.

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

I think that' date=' if a video referee is introduced, he would only spend time on big calls, perhaps [i']only[/i] when questioned by one of the linesmen or the referee. This way, the flow of the game would only occasionally be hindered. This sport is one of the most fluid sports in the world. Almost every other game is stop & go. Hopefully, technology will not ruin that great aspect of the game.

With all due respect to your opinion Phillippe, I am not advocating a system where the game is stopped at every incident. The game as it stands right now is a stop and go affair because of players feigning injury to influence the referee. This would be eradicated if the FA designated someone to view every premier game after the event, and anyone found to be cheating, ie, diving, feigning injury or any other misconduct, they would be punished after the fact and surely this would stop the cheating going on during a game that we all abhor. As for the actual game, there would be only a set amount of times for each manager to call for video replay, which in today's technology, would take less than a minute, hardly stop and go. In the past few weeks alone, I have seen some decisions that border on madness and the view that the officials are not at the same game we are all watching. I am not talking about stopping the game for every incident, but in any one match, there are usually no more than a couple of MAJOR decisions that have eventually had a negative effect on the end result. I appreciate that referee's are human and to an extent, that is part of the game, human error, but the decisions we are now seeing make it obvious to me that referees and linesmen need to be massively updated in their approach or bring in technology to assist them, not take over but to assist them and to make the game that bit fairer to all.

In my opinion, video replays should be introduced for penalty decisions and to ascertain whether or not a ball has crossed the goal-line. As these two kinds of incident don't occur with much frequency, over the course of the 90 minutes, viewing a replay would not be a hindrance to the the flow of the game.

The only problem is, with tennis it's more cut and dried i.e. was the ball over the line or not, which the camera technology can detect. Penalty decisions are a bit different - some referees see a tackle and give a penalty, others would see it and wouldn't. Show a particular tackle to 10 referees and 5 might give it and 5 not - it's all to do with what they percieve. Even commentators and co-commentators sometimes argue while watching the replays, one says they would have given a penalty and the other says they wouldn't!

In the case of ball crossing the goal line and the referee not spotting it, it would be handy (although that sort of thing only happens a couple of times a season). The big question with camera replays I think though is when exactly would they be called upon, yes it has been shown that referees do make wrong decisions but at the time they think they are right and might not feel they need to have a second opinion - if the referees and linesmen don't see anything wrong would they call for the replay?

I hope that makes sense - I've had a drink or two :)

The only problem is' date=' with tennis it's more cut and dried i.e. was the ball over the line or not, which the camera technology can detect. Penalty decisions are a bit different - some referees see a tackle and give a penalty, others would see it and wouldn't. Show a particular tackle to 10 referees and 5 might give it and 5 not - it's all to do with what they percieve.[/quote']

Of course, you're right. And it wouldn't completely solve the issue but it would help eliminate the more obvious blunders. The decisions that are so blindingly obviously wrong. And that's got to be a good thing, right?

Yes exactly - we've all seen the one where the goalie cleared the ball from about 6 feet behind the line (near enough) which the referee and linesmen missed, and every so often you do get those, it would be handy if there's a camera option whenever there's a goal or a contested goal (as they do in rugby for a try or cricket when they think a batsman's out)

Penalties are on a bit more shaky ground as I said, two people seeing the same tackle might have very different opinions on it so who's to say the 4th official would get it right?

Penalties are on a bit more shaky ground as I said' date=' two people seeing the same tackle might have very different opinions on it so who's to say the 4th official would get it right?[/quote']

Of course, we are playing with percentages here but, undeniably, a video replay gives the officials an increased chance of getting it correct.

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

I don't want to sound as if I'm contradicting myself but I am not advocating that cameras should take over the running of a match. There are two or three incidents on average that are crucial and change the face of the game over 90 minutes. I'm not into the camera being wheeled on so to speak every time there is a dispute, take penalties for instance, 9 times out of 10 the referee's interpretation is what matters. Very rarely will he consult his linesman on a penalty shout, but let's say everyone in the crowd, except the ref and linesman, have seen that the striker blatantly handled the ball before the defender fouled him, striker goes down and the ref gives a penalty, it's the 85th minute and the score is 0-0, in this type of dispute, the opposite manager asks for a camera replay, it takes less than a minute to see that the striker blatantly handled the ball before being fouled; offside decisions are another major problem as linesmen don't keep up with play and again, the camera takes but a minute to decide. On average I don't think there are more than three or four major decision turning moments in a game and the camera would be used for this, not for some guy pushing another player off the ball. :)

I dont know why im so against the idea. As a matter of fact I Hate it.

All Valid points have been said, but I think that if a bad call is made thats the way it goes. Football/Soccer hasnt been played with Camera Replays all this time, and the World is still in-tact. So I dont see why this should be Changed, Although im sure Many of you do.

Anyways just my Lonely Opinion. . .