Biggest premiership legend

Biggest premiership legend  

1. 1.

Re: Biggest premiership legend

Cantona was amazing, I did always think slightly bad of him for what he did although it didnt make him any less of a genious.

Having heard about the fan kicked below, im glad Cantona did what he did and only wish his "kung fu kicks" were as good as his skills maybe he would have done more damage :)

I dont care what people think of the above, the world would be a better place without such ........... as simmons

As for the Poll I went with Shearer, total legend imo although I nearly went with Keane he was amazing.

Tbh most the Man Utd team of the 90's could have been in there, as for Owen .. no chance I would put about 6 LFC players in front of him.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Biggest premiership legend Idiots like him are the source of most of society's problems. Maybe it is extreme' date=' and I'm not wishing death on anyone, but you have to admit the World would be

A lot of people have voted Giggs and sure, he has achieved more than anyone and I loved the way he plays and continues to play but for biggest Premiership legend don't you have to have something more; personality? I mean, c'mon, the guys about as interesting as used tissue and although he plays with an exciting personality on the pitch with the ball at his feet, he can't offer us he same kind of memories as Cantona or Henry.

See the way Cantona has started this debate over something he did years ago whereas with Giggs, the best you hear is 'Giggs is a legend'. Great. But Cantona had more of an impact than Giggs. Giggs has been a stalwart and consistently brilliant but Cantona... there was something so artisitc about his stay in the Prem, something so undeniably... French. It was like he treated us to a fleeting glimpse of his brilliance and retired simply because he could scarcely be bothered to delight the crowds and play up to them. It wasn't like he had faded, he slid out of the back door at Old Trafford but naturellmente defied expectations with a retirement that seemed as much as anything, an act of petulance and an artist's temperament.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown in to the sea". Such an absurd comment, it has passed into Premier League folklore, like Jose's 'Special One' speech and Keegan's infamous proclamation of how he'd "love it" if Man U lost. For those of you who don't have your 'French-English to normal English' translators at the ready, it is a comment on the media and a wholly inadvisable one. In the wake of kicking that fan in the face, he needed all the help he could get from the media, to avoid crucifiction. Someone else would have made a weepy, maudlin, stomach churning apology and probably mention 'God' a few times but not Eric. He decided to bite the hand that fed him and it's this kind of iconoclasticism that marked him as one of the most dynamic forces to come to these shores. A man surrounded by so much mythology, it is hard to say what is apocryphal and what is pure Cantona but I'm sure that is something that would delight the man himself. To try and understand Cantona is to reduce him so just sit back and recall all the great moments he gave us. I crave for personalities like Eric in an age of dim witted, 2 dimensional fools who have honed their bodies to perfection but routinely fail to excercise the most important and powerful muscle they have. The brain (I thought I'd best make it clear for people a bit like the players or people preparing to type another part of the anatomy, a bit lower down...). As a Liverpool fan, I watch Steven Gerrard and he plays like Cantona spoke; inventive, beautiful and endlessley entertaining. Unfortunately, if you take this performing monkey off the pitch, then he speaks like Djemba-Djemba played. "Erm y'know, give 110% every week and we concentrate on our own game and just try and take it one game at a time like", we all know the routine and how it pales to comments like "I am searching for abstract ways of expressing reality, abstract forms that will enlighten my own mystery".

Henry was similarly inspiring, though not to the same profound extent. Instead, he typified the ultimate footballer. Tall, strong, quick, dogged, determined and endlessly able to do anything. He didn't just typify the ultimate footballer though, he typified ultimate football as the spiritual and eventually literal leader of the Arsenal team that so many people have come to love. So many moments to choose from:

and when that look he gave the referee after he scored that time (if you don't remember it, that's a pretty underwhelming description :o).

I can't even remember who I voted for now :rolleyes: but these two I think were the front runners for their humour and personality. If it was just talent alone, I would have voted for Bergkamp.

I would say either Henry or Jose Mourinho. Maybe even Owen' date=' Fowler or unfortunately like you said Ryan Giggs. I think also that Alan Shearer and Denis Bergkamp are possible contenders.[/quote']

why on earth should mourinho be in there?? he spent 3 years in the prem - no way should he be classed as a premiership legend.

as for the legend of the prem - ryan giggs, came into a developing man united team with a huge amount of pressure on him when he was 17 and delivered and then some - IMO one of the greatest players ever when you consider what he's done and a very decent bloke in person too

but honourable mentions go to schmeichel (best gk ever IMO), cantona, bergkamp and zola - the latter two are one of the main reasons why so many foreign players (especially latin ones) are in the prem nowadays

Cantona's bad temper doesn't make him any less of a legend.

in many ways it adds to his legend

btw, when maradona shot the journo's with an air rifle (which at best stings when you're hit) were camped outside his house harrassing him, so its not like he went out of his way to hunt down the journos

in many ways it adds to his legend

btw' date=' when maradona shot the journo's with an air rifle (which at best stings when you're hit) were camped outside his house harrassing him, so its not like he went out of his way to hunt down the journos[/quote']

Is that some kind of excuse for him shooting journalists? :confused:

That, like what Cantona did, was absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

I think Maradona is more of a legend than Cantona.

Well i could hav added teddy sheringham. Didnt hav any pace not much skill and not deadly finisher but always got the job done he was like 60 wen he retired at colchester! Also who can forget the supersub solskjaer

sheringham's a good shout but solskjaer is a man united legend, not a premiership legend

I know he aint a prem legend but anyone remember "Kinkladze" (spelling) for a few years at City? I remember a few of his goals :eek:

Another prem Legend as mentioned by someone below has to be Le Tissier, amazing player and turned down moves to Man Utd, Liverpool and Newcastle to stay at his beloved Southampton

I know he aint a prem legend but anyone remember "Kinkladze" (spelling) for a few years at City? I remember a few of his goals :eek:

Another prem Legend as mentioned by someone below has to be Le Tissier' date=' amazing player and turned down moves to Man Utd, Liverpool and Newcastle to stay at his beloved Southampton[/quote']

Two great shouts there! Georgi Kinkaldze, Georgi the Georgian, good old Kinky and to think Joe Royle blamed their relegation on him :rolleyes: Shows what Royle knows. He's one of the ultimate cult heroes of out league.

Le Tissier, if he wasn't such a lazy fool, he could have been the best English player of his generation I think. Lucky for him he didn't have to do much running because he was just an incredible footballer.

Another prem Legend as mentioned by someone below has to be Le Tissier' date=' amazing player and turned down moves to Man Utd, Liverpool and Newcastle to stay at his beloved Southampton[/quote']

he very nearly joined chelsea around 97/98 but the two teams couldnt agree a fee apparently

I think Gary Speed deserves a mention as well, he holds the most apprences in the Prem as an outfield player and David James only overtook him recently for most overall. He was the first player to score in every prem season from the first one until he moved to Shef Utd in the 07/08 season.

Yes' date=' Kinkladze scored some good goals, I think he was a great player and while he may not be a Premiership legend, I think he is a City legend. I think he was so creative and also I think he cared a lot for the team.

I dont think it would be fair to blame our relegation to Division 2 on him, we had quite a few problems then as I recall, he was one of the players who could have kept us. I remember when we beat Stoke 5-2 on the last day but other results meant both teams were relegated to Division 2. I think Kinky actually cried a little bit.

Enjoy:

[YOUTUBE']I7BuNzATQsw[/YOUTUBE]

Dont forget Uwe Rosler either. I think he also scored some good goals. Maybe not a Premiership legend but I think he is possibly a City legend!

Maybe Niall Quinn is worth mentioning. He scored 205 goals during his time at City, Arsenal and Sunderland (however, some of his Sunderland ones were in Division One).

rosler3.gif

Being a spurs fan im surprised you missed out on a certain striker on that list

Mr Teddy Sheringham!

both manchester united and tottenham and many other clubs hav got too agree he always made a impact on the field i think especially for Man Utd in a certain cup final in 1999 :D

but due to the fact i cant give him the vote he deserves i hav to go for another ex-man united player The Great Dane!!!! wish Gomes would study some tapes of that guy...