Lokomotiv

Tom

Kuban

Terek

Amkar

Spartak Nalchik

Saturn

Khimki

The Russian league season is starting in less than a month now, with the Russian Super Cup (CSKA vs Rubin) being played on the 7th March. This thread will be used for discussion, previews, reviews, predictions and anything else related to Russian football. I'll be regularly writing match reports, match pre-views (for League and Cup), posting about young talents and giving rating predictions. Feel free to add anything, and I'll be happy to answer any questions about players, teams, etc

There have already been some interesting transfers, and the market is not yet closed. From last summers market, and this market so far, £120,849,600 has been spent. Many new players have been bought in and this will for sure make the league even more interesting this time round.

Another goood thing, is that Setanta Sports US have bought the rights for the best 60 Russian games (2 from every turn), which will hopefully mean more people can enjoy the league now that there are English pictures and commentary available online.

Prediction

Cska

Spartak

Zenit

Loko

Dinamo

Rubin

Krylya

Amkar

Saturn

Moskva

1. CSKA - I think they're in the best position to win the league, and I think they will do so with ease. They've got a briliant with Vagner Love, Krasic, Zhirkov and Dzagoev. A very good keeper in Akinfieev. A few solid defenders, most notably Ignashevich. And a very good youth system. My only concern is that they will have to play fixtures in the UEFA Cup (should they progress), and in the Champions League further on in the season. This shouldn't be a big problem now as they have signed players such as Necid and Maazou to add depth to their squad.

2. Spartak - I'm sure this is a big surprise to many that I have predicted they finish above Zenit. They have some great young players (possibly best youth system in Russia), and have also bought in somebig names in the transfer market. They had a very poor campaign last time, coming 8th :eek:, but there good young team, and recent signings, like Carioca and Brazillian international Alex is tthe reason I think they'll do well. They also don't have Champions League, or UEFA Cup football to worry about.

3. Zenit - After the sale of Arshavin, and the Tymoschuk deal still pending, Zenit squad is looking a lot smaller and weaker than last season. They purchased Huszti and Semshov to replace the 2 players but they aren't really of the same class. Zenit still have the second best team in the Russian league, but they are low on moral and have a very small squad so could struggle. They will need Danny to perform very well this season as he is easily there most creative player now Arshavin has gone.

More to follow.

Re: Official Russian Premier League '09 Thread

Ben you love russian footy dont you :P

anyway seen as Rubin won the league last year howcome you think they'll be 5th and is there any up and coming stars you think coming through at CSKA

Rubin had a very good year last time round. But this year I can't see them achieving anywhere near the same standards. They don't have the same standard of players that CSKA, Zenit, Spartak, Dynamo, and Loko have, and this year they have the added strain of the Champions League, which will make there players more tired. The main reason they were so succesful last season was because they were only concentrating on the league.

As for CSKA talents, well these are the ones currently on my talent list:

Players who are likely to get games this season: Schennikov (17), Pomazan (20), Vlasov (19), Ryzhov (19), Stolyarenko (18 - next Dzagoev).

Players to look out for over the coming seasons are: Chuchalov (18), Nigmatullin (17), Zajtsev (19 - already made his debut), Gagloev (20 - quality in Division 1 last season), Protopopov (21), Klimeev (19), Zhirkov (20), Kashiev (19), Arslanov (19), Manoshkin (18), Karpov (18), Vorobjov (19), Volkov (17), Kudryavtsev (18), Zabolotny (17), Oseni (17)

Also worth a shout: Gorelov (23 - I think he's left it too late now though. Had a good spell on loan last season though)

Just realised how confusing it is, with the likes of Rubin having to play around half the season before they get their just rewards for winning the league (Champions League), and CSKA will play in both competitions. :eek:

Ben, any talk about the 18 year old midfielder Ryzhkov? You made a topic on him a few months back IIRC. Could he get playing time this season?

Vladislav Ryzhkov. Yeah, I can remeber requesting him being added but was then shocked he was rated as high as 80. He's still only 18 and is still a good buy. He didn't get too much action in the league last season (only something like 5 games), but has been playing more recently. Infact he played a part of Spartak's last game against Spurs in the UEFA Cup - 60 minutes I think. He is also the 3rd youngest member of the Russian U21 team (only Schennikov and Kokorin younger).

Spartak have really improved there team over the transfer window, so I can't see him breaking into the first team straight away, but he will get games as subs, with a few starts, and will also be a key player in the Cup. He's a very typical Russian talent playmaker type player. Reminds me a lot of how Dzagoev plays - just not quite as influential yet. He's quite small and not very physical, and although that isn't a problem playing in the Russian League, it may be if he goes to England, Spain or Italy to play in the future.

Anyway, I think he's got a chance of reaching around 84/85 by the end of this season, but I do think SM added him at a too high rating.

So' date=' if I am not being mistaken, you will report most of these games?

P.s. will you also tell us a potential bargains for SM?[/quote']

Yep, you'll here first here ;). Already got a shortlist of over 50 players from Russia who I'm awaiting the debut of (although I'm sure they won't all make there debut in the coming season) :D. I'll try to get them on the database ASAP (if the researchers are willing to co-operate), so that they can have a nice little rating, and in turn a nice big rise.

And I'll be writing match reports for the 2 Russian games I watch each weekend (providing neither of them clash with any Liverpool games), and also I'll posting about the talents who play each game. I'm hoping to find a highlight show with English comentry and text, although I'm not building my hopes up too much.

Ben can you give me some background information and your opinions on Caner Erkin.

After the FIFA U17 tournament in 2005 in which he did so well, he was highlighted as a promising player, which meant he was transferred to CSKA. Since he's been there has he made much impact, last season in the league he usually came on as a substitute and did not start many games.

However, despite that he's been involved a lot recently with the national squad, he's played in the last two friendly's, starting against Ivory Coast as a LB (Is he a LB for CSKA? I don't think so, he looked defensively OK but not good enough for tougher opposition, it might have just been because Hakan Balta pulled out a couple of days ago before the game, or it might be because he wants to re-train him like he did with Hamit Altintop, or maybe he didn't want to bring in a player into the squad as the squad had gelled or maybe it's because we have SHIocking LB's:D) and came on against Austria. He was also a sub against Bosnia in the qualifiers.

The friendly against Ivory Coast was this month, so it had been some time since he last played a competitive game, which makes me believe Terim has faith in him.

Thanks for your time Ben:) .

CSKA vs Villa

254_1195422892.gifPFC-CSKA 2 - 0 Aston Villa2_1202957170.gif

Team Sheets

CSKA:

Akinfieev (91), Berezutski (90), Berezutski (90), Ignashevich (91), Schennikov (73), Krasic (90), Rahimić (87), Šemberas (89), Zhirkov (92), Dzagoev (87), Vagner Love (92).

Aston Villa:

Guzan (84), Young (88), Davies (87), Knight (87), Shorey (88), Albrighton (not on DB), Gardner (87), Salifou (80), Sidwell (87), Bannan (not on DB), Delfouneso (70).

Review:

CSKA ease past a weak Villa team into the next round of the Cup. After seeing the team sheet, Zico was always going to be favorite to win the game. He didn't disappoint:

Goal (CSKA 1-0) - CSKA are awarded a free-kick just out-side the Villa penalty area. Dzagoev steps up and plays a clever pass to Zhirkov who strikes the ball low and past Guzan

Goal = Zhirkov, Assist = Dzagoev

Goal (CSKA 2-0) - Villa look for a late goal and get punished on the counter attack. A direct run by Krasic, who then passes to Vagner, who does exactly what you'd expect. The ball was slotted into te bottom corner leaving Guzan with no chance.

Goal = Vagner Love, Assist = Krasic

Next up VfB Stuttgart - Zenit St. Petersburg

Ben can you give me some background information and your opinions on Caner Erkin.

After the FIFA U17 tournament in 2005 in which he did so well' date=' he was highlighted as a promising player, which meant he was transferred to CSKA. Since he's been there has he made much impact, last season in the league he usually came on as a substitute and did not start many games.

However, despite that he's been involved a lot recently with the national squad, he's played in the last two friendly's, starting against Ivory Coast as a LB (Is he a LB for CSKA? I don't think so, he looked defensively OK but not good enough for tougher opposition, it might have just been because Hakan Balta pulled out a couple of days ago before the game, or it might be because he wants to re-train him like he did with Hamit Altintop, or maybe he didn't want to bring in a player into the squad as the squad had gelled or maybe it's because we have SHIocking LB's:D) and came on against Austria. He was also a sub against Bosnia in the qualifiers.

The friendly against Ivory Coast was this month, so it had been some time since he last played a competitive game, which makes me believe Terim has faith in him.

Thanks for your time Ben:) .[/quote']

I haven't seen a huge amount from Caner because he rarely plays (only 1 full 90 minutes last season). I know he was very near to going to Trabzonspor just a few months ago, but the 2 clubs couldn't agree a fee. I haven't seen anything from him yet which I've been hugely impressed with, but he's got potential. His primary position from what I've seen has been on the left side of midfield, but getting ahead of Zhirkov is not going to be easy. I think he'll get minutes this season, but I don't think he'll be a regular. I'll update you on his performences later into the season.

Nearly missed this post. Sorry.

Any thoughts/info on Renat Yanbaev' date=' Cristian Ansaldi or either of Dynamo's Kombarov brothers?[/quote']

Yanbaev had a superb season last year from what I read/watched. He's not your modern full back (eg, Evra, Clichy, Dani Alves, etc) who is known for attacking just as much there defending. He is more an old fasioned full back who is happy to stay in the defensive line, and block any runs and intercept and through balls. He's very solid defensively and his performences earned him a place in the last few Russian national seletections. He's got the ability to rise to 89 and possibly even 90 some time in his career.

Ansaldi won't get past 89 imo... for the time being at least. He's different to Yanbaev as in he likes to attack, scoring an occasional goal and getting assists from time to time, but he's not as good defensively. Not a must keep imo.

As for the Kombarov brothers they are both good talents. The right sided one (can never remember which is which), is slightly better though imo. He's a more attacking player. The left sided player is more defensive and doesn't do *** much for the team imo. Both of them were regulars for the Russian U21 team, and will now both try to mush to get into the main national team I suspect.

is this the one you told me about ben? :o

Yeah, this is the thread I will be adding talents to :)

Russian Cup Final - PREVIEW

254_1195422892.gifPFC-CSKA vs Rubin Kazan 260_1193945875.gif

Predicted outcome:

3-1

Probable Teams:

CSKA - Akinfeev (91), Berezutski (90), Berezutski (90), Ignashevich (91), Schennikov (73), Mamaev (86), Semberas (89), Krasic (90), Carvaliho (88), Zhirkov (92), Vagner Love (92).

Reasoning: The back 4 is likely to stay the same as last weeks game against Villa. Although it is thought that Schennikov may be rested due to his young age and possible lack of stamina, Zico has insisted that he does not class Grigoriev as a left back, and Schenni will once again start.

It is thought that Mamaev may be given the chance to start after some very strong performences last season, and being rested in CSKA last 2 cup games. Aldonin and Rahmic will both be competing from a CM start, as-well, although it is though Semberas will keep his place after an impressive game in the cup.

Other changes to midfield could see Daniel Carvalho take Dzagoev's position. Dzagoev is still young and very rarely can play a full game without being taken off. With a busy schedule approaching it is thought Dza may have to start on the bench, and be used as a sub early into the second half.

Vagner Love will undoubtably start and is the 'untouchable' this season along with Zhirkov. However 19 year old Necid is likely to make his official debut after an amazing 4 goals in a friendly for CSKA mid week. He is likely to play the last 20 minutes of the match.

Rubin Kazan - Ryzhikov (88), Ansaldi (89), Sharonov (88), César Navas (87), Kvirkvelia (88), Ryazantsev (88), Semak (91), Noboa (87), Rebrov (88), Karadeniz (90) Adamov (88)

Reasoning: I don't read as much about Rubin, but I still have a pretty good idea of who will play.

The defense will see one change from last season. With Tomas (88) and Popov (87), both looking slightly dodgy at the back last season Rubin has spent £2 million to sign Cesar Navas from Santander. The rest of the defense is likely to look the same.

The midfield will be pretty much the same as last season's midfield. The only change will see Rebrov (88) start on the left ahead of Kobenko (86) who has now left the club. Key players to look out for are Russian International Semak, and Turkish International Karadeniz as 1 of these 2 players are sure to be involved in nearly every goal scored. Noboa is also a promising player.

Adamov is set to start as the lone forward now that the legend Milosevic has ended his career. Adamov will not score a huge amount of goals, but he will hold the ball up for creative players like Semak and Karadeniz to run through and create chances.

Pre-Season Review - Kuban

With the Russian League just over a week away I think I should review the clubs that have been promoted to the Russian Premier League, and mention a few players that may not be so weel known.

First Club to be revieved in Kuban who finished 2nd in the Division 1 last season, and have a number of promosing players.

forma_kuban.giflogo_kuban1.gifforma_kuban2.gif

Predicted Finishing Position (2009) - 16th/16

Player of Note

Name: Anri KHAGUSH

SM Rating: 84

On loan from Rubin Kazan

About him: Khagush (or 'Hagush') was probably Kuban's best signing in pre-season, and I'm sure he'll turn out to be one of their most important players. Hagush started his career at Spartak's youth system, but made a move to FC Bate, at the start of the 05/06 season. At Bate Anri gained much experience and was a regular in this season's Champions League campaign for the Belarus club. Games against Real Madrid, Juventus and Zenit bought him to the attention of Rubin who decided to bring Hagush back to Russia. Hagush is a right sided midfielder who will start for Kuban this season.

Transfer Summary

kuban.png

* = Players who are on loan

* = Players who have returned from loan

Highlighted blue players are players that have moved in pre-season

Potential Risers:

Name: Asat BAIRYEV

Current Rating: 75

Last seasons stats: 7 starts, 5 subs, 674 minutes

Name: Sani KAITA

Current Rating: 77

Last seasons stats: N/A

Notes: Nigerian International (2 starts), On loan from Monacco (2 starts, 1 sub)

Name: Aleksei KUCHUK

Current Rating: 77

Last seasons stats: 2 starts, 9 subs, 3 goals

Notes: Went on loan to FK Aktobe where he features regularly in the league and played 6 times in Champions League qualification scoring once.

Name: Georgi DZHIOEV

Current Rating: 78

Last seasons stats: 20 starts, 6 subs, 3 goals

Notes: Also played 4 games in the Premier League the previous season

Super Talent

Name: Viktor Dmitrenko

Current Rating: Not yet on DB

Last seasons stats: 2 subs

Notes: Likely to be involved in Russia's U17 side next season. He's on my talent list. I'll write a full report on him later in the season when he gets more games (which I will hopefully see a few of) and gets added to the database.

I'll add a predicted rating once the season is underway. Before there have been a few games played it's impossible to tell how they will all fare.

I think they'll all rise some time in the season, but Sani KAITA is probably your best at atm, due to international caps and a secured career at Monaco.

Game to be played tomorrow around 11(maybe 12)PM GMT. If anyone's interested in watching the game I'd be happy to post a link a few hours before kick off.

I would love to watch it, if I remember of course. I'm supporting Rubin, mainly because I have a Rubin team in a GC and they are (by the sound of it) the underdogs.