Official Russian Premier League '09 Thread

BenReado

Re: Official Russian Premier League '09 Thread

Hi Ben,

What's been up with Bystrov this season? Has he been injured? I see he only has 10 starts, albeit with an impressive 6 strikes in that time. Do you think he will keep his 89 despite missing a large chunk of this season and is he good enough to go higher in the future?

Any response is appreciated, thanks.

Hi Ben' date='

What's been up with [b']Bystrov [/b]this season? Has he been injured? I see he only has 10 starts, albeit with an impressive 6 strikes in that time. Do you think he will keep his 89 despite missing a large chunk of this season and is he good enough to go higher in the future?

Any response is appreciated, thanks.

I'm not Ben, but...

10 appearances for Zenit, yes, but he has 18 for Spartak as well. ;) Wasn't he also voted 'best right-winger' of the season?

What is Tomas Necid going to rise to???

Thanks in Advance:)

Ben, what is your opinion of Necid? How accurate is the assessment that he's a very limited 'fox in the box'-type forward with little pace, poor ball skills, and is not that good in the air despite his height?

Ben' date=' what is your opinion of Necid? How accurate is the assessment that he's a very limited 'fox in the box'-type forward with little pace, poor ball skills, and is not that good in the air despite his height?[/quote']

Watched him twice this season both times against Besiktas and I have to agree 100%. I doubt he'll ever be a "big" player and I'm surprised he's at CSKA, don't know much about CSKA but wouldn't be surprised if they buy some new strikers, looks to me like they need them.

Rely too much on Krasic and Dzagoev.

Regarding Necid: Bearing in mind this is his first season at CSKA and that he is only 20 years old i would suggest this player has a good future in the game. 27 games in the league this season and 9 goals isnt a bad return. He was top scorer at the 2008 under 19 European football championships and he has broken into the Czech Republic first team playing 8 games and scoring 4 goals. I would suggest a rise to 88 would be about right for now (but i confess i know nothing about the ratings process :o)

Over Christmas CSKA signed GK Sergei Chepchugov from 1st Division Sibir (actually newly promoted Sibir).

Guy won the award for best goalkeeper in the 1st Division this past season. Conceded just 21 goals and kept 24 clean sheets... Fantastic by any measure.

Seems to me there's a good chance that a deal is in place to move Akinfeev, asap.

Over Christmas CSKA signed GK Sergei Chepchugov from 1st Division Sibir (actually newly promoted Sibir).

Guy won the award for best goalkeeper in the 1st Division this past season. Conceded just 21 goals and kept 24 clean sheets... Fantastic by any measure.

Seems to me there's a good chance that a deal is in place to move Akinfeev' date=' asap.[/b']

But where for Akinfeev? I know Man Utd were linked with him, anyone else been mentioned?

But where for Akinfeev? I know Man Utd were linked with him' date=' anyone else been mentioned?[/b']

Fiorentina: The loudest one lately. Frey's contract is up this summer and he's holding out on renewing.

Bayern: Have been liked to everyone for the past 9 months including Akinfeev. Haven't heard much on this front since August.

Here is my personal wild card, though....

Arsenal: He fits Wegner's criteria almost perfectly (the kid doesn't speak French). They need a top-notch GK and Wegner's last January Russian transfer has been a roaring success.

And one last thing on United: Seems like every day SAF is going out of his way to distance himself from a move for Akinfeev. Gamesmanship at its best. I don't think United (or anyone else for that matter) will shell out the big-bucks this Jan, as most are skint. But I think they probably have one move left in them for the season, and Akinfeev fits the bill perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like they'll be moving to a Aug-May schedule next year. I put something together on it HERE.

I can see why then want to align it with the other main European Leagues with the Russian League growing and teams progressing further in Europe. But I really can't see it working. The summer scheudule was there for a reason. Because it's too cold to play between December and February in Russia. If they do change it players are gonna be forced to play in -20. I am certain players aren't going to perform anywhere near their ability in those artic conditions and the RPL will lose the talented young players coming from South America because they won't want to play in those conditions. This change can't be good for the league.

I can see why then want to align it with the other main European Leagues with the Russian League growing and teams progressing further in Europe. But I really can't see it working. The summer scheudule was there for a reason. Because it's too cold to play between December and February in Russia. If they do change it players are gonna be forced to play in -20. I am certain players aren't going to perform anywhere near their ability in those artic conditions and the RPL will lose the talented young players coming from South America because they won't want to play in those conditions. This change can't be good for the league.

I disagree. They'll find a way of still attracting/maintaining talent, and the additional dollars/euros certainly won't hurt.

As far as the performances go, even in freezing conditions the players' performances couldn't possibly be any worse than the product that was placed on the pitch this past season. Only thing saving the RPL's bacon in the UEFA coefficient this past season is that somehow CSKA and Rubin managed to pull it together for some collective punching-above-their-weight CL performances.

• 2 weeks later...