Supporters Who Swap Allegiances Between Clubs - Why!?!?

Hesse

I have noticed whilst browsing through the forums tonight that there are two "respected" forum members who seem to have switched allegiances in respect of the football club that they support. What makes it really strange is that one has swapped from Manchester Utd to Liverpool, and the other member I have noticed has made the swap in the opposite direction; when these teams would count each other as being amounst their most bitter rivals!

This thread is not aimed at bashing any individuals, because who you support is a personal decision; but just as a medium through which discuss this interesting phenomena, and maybe shed some light on why some people feel the need to do it.

From my own personal point of view, I almost see football as a religion, and although I can accept that people do change their beliefs, (and obviously their teams), I cannot see how I could do this. I was always bought up with the mantra that once you chose your team you were stuck with them for life. I just do not understand how people flip-flop between teams, and for those that do it purely on a "glory-hunting" basis, those people are not real football fans in my humble opinion, but merely victims of peer pressure, and football club's marketing machines.

Now where my beliefs on this matter are a little more liberal are when you support a big team (like I do with Arsenal for the past 26 years, since I learned of football's existence) and also a small local "non-league" team (Dover 'til I die!). Where I may have a crisis of interests one day will be if my "non-league" team "do a Wimbledon" and get themselves to the top flight of domestic football (well I dream anyway!)

Anyway, so why do people do it, is it justified and can they really call themselves true supporters?

Re: Supporters Who Swap Allegiances Between Clubs - Why!?!?

If your talking about Neller and REDDEVILFC' date=' it's a joke....[/quote']

I figured that it may well have been, but even so, I think most people know of someone who has swapped allegiances at some point, and it still makes a good topic of discussion. It just happens that their alleged joke has bought the thought to the front of my cavernous mind!:D

I have noticed whilst browsing through the forums tonight that there are two "respected" forum members who seem to have switched allegiances in respect of the football club that they support. What makes it really strange is that one has swapped from Manchester Utd to Liverpool' date=' and the other member I have noticed has made the swap in the opposite direction; when these teams would count each other as being amounst their most bitter rivals!

This thread is not aimed at bashing any individuals, because who you support is a personal decision; but just as a medium through which discuss this interesting phenomena, and maybe shed some light on why some people feel the need to do it.

From my own personal point of view, I almost see football as a religion, and although I can accept that people do change their beliefs, (and obviously their teams), I cannot see how I could do this. I was always bought up with the mantra that once you chose your team you were stuck with them for life. I just do not understand how people flip-flop between teams, and for those that do it purely on a "glory-hunting" basis, those people are not real football fans in my humble opinion, but merely victims of peer pressure, and football club's marketing machines.

Now where my beliefs on this matter are a little more liberal are when you support a big team (like I do with Arsenal for the past 26 years, since I learned of football's existence) and also a small local "non-league" team (Dover 'til I die!). Where I may have a crisis of interests one day will be if my "non-league" team "do a Wimbledon" and get themselves to the top flight of domestic football (well I dream anyway!)

Anyway, so why do people do it, is it justified and can they really call themselves true supporters?[/quote']

If some people change who they support then its their choice :rolleyes: im sure you wouldnt change who you support Hesse as you support one of the best teams around in Dover Athletic who have one of the best stadiums around in the Crabble :D who are also flying high in the league, it just wouldnt make sense if you started supporting someone else ;)

Once upon a time i supported Man Utd though i had no obvious connection to the club at all, they were not the first team i supported as i jumoed from team to team alot when i was younger mainly with who my mates supported to stop myself being unpopular :rolleyes:.

Now come 2003 and my Tottenham Hotspur supporting dad passed and i was no given alot by my grandparents who had decided to keep most of his possesions instead of giving them to my lil bro and me, But what i did get was my Dads Spurs shirts and therefore in his memory suppourted spurs and i have since :D

I understand many people say once a fan always a fan and you cant just change ur mind but i think social and personal reasons really affect who you support and its not always Glory that is key in finding your club.

If some people change who they support then its their choice :rolleyes: im sure you wouldnt change who you support Hesse as you support one of the best teams around in Dover Athletic who have one of the best stadiums around in the Crabble :D who are also flying high in the league' date=' it just wouldnt make sense if you started supporting someone else ;)[/quote']

I take your point, but remember before Dover started enjoying the success that we have now, I had to endure three relegations in the space of four seasons so it has been a case of taking the rough with the smooth. Did I ever consider changing my team, even though their were teams from higher divisions closer to where I now live? No! And why not? As I said before, once you pick you're team you're stuck with them from my point of view, and cannot comprehend why you would change; although I acknowledge it is down to choice, as I believe I said before. To say that I wouldn't change from supporting Dover down to their current success almost alleges that I, myself am a glory hunter!

I take your point' date=' but remember before Dover started enjoying the success that we have now, I had to endure three relegations in the space of four seasons so it has been a case of taking the rough with the smooth. Did I ever consider changing my team, even though their were teams from higher divisions closer to where I now live? No! And why not? As I said before, once you pick you're team you're stuck with them from my point of view, and cannot comprehend why you would change; although I acknowledge it is down to choice, as I believe I said before. To say that I wouldn't change from supporting Dover down to their current success almost alleges that I, myself am a glory hunter![/quote']

Well thats not what i meant at all B) i was just making a point that it is indeed up to a person who they support, although if they do swap clubs then IMO they are not really real fans but i wont say no more :P and i also felt like talking about Dover as its very rare you meet an Athletic fan over the net :o

Sorry to misinterpret what you meant Matt, it looks like we're singing off the same hymn sheet really!

As for Dover, at the moment it's a great time to support them, and as much as it pains me to admit it to a Gills fan, we largely owe that to a Gills legend; although that's another Hess!

To be fair, there are dozens of teams which I like and want to do well and they all vary from England to all over the world. You can call me a 'polytheist' if you like ! :D

But I don't think I have come to that stage where I'd be a 'true' supporter for any of the club if I'm being honest. I watch a lot of football and ever since I was a kid, Manchester United was the first team I watched and was the first team I 'supported'. But does not being able to watch every match not make you a 'true' supporter?

Obviously as many people have mentioned, if there is a debate where United are being scrutinized then I'd jump in but my main argument is that there is not just one simple club which I support. The clubs I support varies from the EPL to La Liga, Serie A, Brazilian league and more.

But not once have I 'flip flopped' into liking another club, or worse the rival of my supported club. It's not against the 'football rules' to like another club, two or more clubs can be supported at one time I feel. As you may see form many forumers here, some people have a club they support yet a main club where they attend every match to.

If this is about RedDevilFC & Neller then I can't question them or their decision, simply because it's their choice. But as I mentioned, more than one club can be supported or in my case 'followed' and 'liked'

Tbh, if you switch clubs you have no loyalty in the first place.

I have supported Leeds since I was 2 (apparently), but in 2004 (bare in mind I was 10) when Leeds went down I decided to 'support' Liverpool. But even so it never felt anywhere the same and whatever I tried the love for Leeds didn't go away. I gave it up after a week. The fact is it's impossible to stop supporting a team no matter how hard you try. I feel incredibly sorry for Wimbledon fans; I can't imagine what I'd do if Leeds went the same way (and we came close). If it's any consolation at least AFCW are on the up, and surely it's only a matter of time before they reach the FL. I can't wait til that day.

In other words, if you're a true fan, you'll still love the club no matter what happens, you will still support them even if you don't want t.

If someone just switches club (2 Man United supporters I know 'supported' Liverpool until 2003) then it just shows they don't really support any club at all, and just want to 'support' the best team.