Sign in to follow this  
Mark 1978

V Festival 2009

Good line-up this year, The Killers and Oasis headlining. got my tickets today :D

Oasis and The Killers will headline the V Festival this year.

Other bands announced to be playing the bash include Razorlight, Snow Patrol, Keane, Lily Allen, The Specials, Pete Doherty, Elbow, MGMT and The Ting Tings.

The event takes place across two sites, one in Chelmsford and one in Staffordshire on August 22nd and 23rd.

The V Festival 2009 line-up so far is:

Oasis

The Killers

Razorlight

Snow Patrol

Fatboy Slim

Keane

The Specials

Elbow

James

Lily Allen

The Enemy

Pendulum

The Script

Biffy Clyro

The Ting Tings

Paolo Nutini

MGMT

Katy Perry

The Wombats

James Morrison

Peter Doherty

The Streets

Lady GaGa

Dizzee Rascal

Happy Mondays

Seasick Steve

Ocean Colour Scene

The Saturdays

Tickets go on sale at 10am on Friday March 6th.

Re: V Festival 2009

Might end up going to this (chance I might get a free ticket), but from that, it looks like I'll be spending most of my time drinking. :P

The T In The Park lineup blows V Fest right out of the water. Ahh well, should be fun even if there is only 1 or 2 bands I care about and none I'd bother going to see at a normal gig.

Unmissable:

None

Would watch:

Oasis

Snow Patrol

Pendulum

Happy Mondays

Seasick Steve

Ocean Colour Scene

Don't care:

The Killers

Razorlight

The Specials

Elbow

James

Lily Allen

The Enemy

The Script

Biffy Clyro

Paolo Nutini

James Morrison

The Streets

Dizzee Rascal

Avoid like the plague:

Fatboy Slim

Keane

The Ting Tings

MGMT

Katy Perry

The Wombats

Peter Doherty

Lady GaGa

The Saturdays

Got my tickets today going as a treat whem my exams end, best line-up i've seen for some time.

Unmissable:

Biffy Clyro

Oasis

Pendulum

Dizee Rascal

MGMT

Would watch:

Snow Patrol

Happy Mondays

Seasick Steve

Ocean Colour Scene

The Saturdays (Fit)

Lady Gaga

Don't care:

The Killers

Razorlight

The Specials

Elbow

James

Lily Allen

The Enemy

The Script

Paolo Nutini

James Morrison

The Streets

Avoid like the plague:

Fatboy Slim

Keane

The Ting Tings

Katy Perry

The Wombats

Peter Doherty

Good line-up this year' date=' The Killers and Oasis headlining. got my tickets today :D[/quote']

Very few good people here for me. A couple of years ago, I can't remember, which they had a cracking line-up but I suppose for just sort of popular music, this is a pretty good line-up.

Seasick Steve is a good 'un, as is Doherty if he's sober, Oasis aren't what they but are worth a watch and the same goes for the Happy Mondays. The Specials would have been good if they'd got Terry Hall back but they haven't, so not really up to much.

Glastonbury sounds like the festival of the year this year (which it arguably hasn't been for a while) with the headliners supposed to be: Blur, Neil Young, The White Stripes and Bruce Springsteen. If they pull that off, that's one of the best line-ups I've seen for a while (depending on who's on before 'em too).

I went to the original V festival - V'96 - Now I'm showing my age; but back then that was one hell of a line up. Pulp were probably the best live act I have seen then and since.

For those wanting a trip down memory lane - check the line-up then:

Saturday 17th August 1996 - Hylands Park Chelmsford

Sunday 18th August 1996 - Victoria Park Warrington

V STAGE

Pulp, Supergrass, Cast, Gary Numan, Stereolab, Jonathan Richmond, Long Pigs.

2ND STAGE

Elastica, Heavy Stereo, Fluffy, Super Furry Animals, Denim, Gorky Zygotic Mynci, Tiger.

Sunday 18th August 1996 - Hylands Park Chelmsford

V STAGE

Paul Weller, The Charlatans, Menswear, Lightening Seeds, Shed 7, Incognito, Mike Flowers Pop, Edge Park.

2ND STAGE

Orbital, Sleeper, The Cardigans, Wannadies, Kula Shaker, Space, Pusherman.

DANCE ARENA

Tricky, The Aloof, Morcheeba, Lamb, Mad Professor.

People don't wanna see Fatboy Slim or Pete Doherty? :eek:

Obviously (or not) I dont live in England, so Im going to Oxegen again. (best weekend of my life) :) KoL playing 3rd year in a row. :rolleyes: Our line up isn't great yet either. :( I hope Biffy play...

From the list mentioned I'd recommend Pendulum, MGMT and Seastick Steve who are all amazing live. Oh and of course Biffy Clyro. Mon the Bif!

People don't wanna see Fatboy Slim or Pete Doherty? :eek:

Obviously (or not) I dont live in England' date=' so Im going to Oxegen again. (best weekend of my life) :) KoL playing 3rd year in a row. :rolleyes: Our line up isn't great yet either. :( I hope Biffy play...

From the list mentioned I'd recommend [b']Pendulum[/b], MGMT and Seastick Steve who are all amazing live. Oh and of course Biffy Clyro. Mon the Bif!

I'm only going on Sunday, so will miss pendulum :mad: But tbh the line-up for Sunday (Chelmsford) looks better imo...

Bummer. Pendulum are freaking amazing. :D Whos headlining on Sunday?

On Sunday there's Oasis, Snow Patrol, Elbow, James, Biffy Clyro, James Morrison, OCS, Keane, The enemy, Paolo Nutini, Katy Perry, Dizzee Rascal, MGMT, Lady Gaga, The Streets and Alesha Dixon.

My mum (yes i'm going with my mum :P ) wants to see Elbow and Oasis etc... but tbh i'm just glad that i'm going :D

Biffy Clyro and Pendulum were the ones i most wanted to see though...

On Sunday there's Oasis' date=' Snow Patrol, Elbow, James, Biffy Clyro, James Morrison, OCS, Keane, The enemy, Paolo Nutini, Katy Perry, Dizzee Rascal, MGMT, Lady Gaga, The Streets and Alesha Dixon.

My mum (yes i'm going with my mum :P ) wants to see Elbow and Oasis etc... but tbh i'm just glad that i'm going :D

Biffy Clyro and Pendulum were the ones i most wanted to see though...[/quote']

Well least you can see 1 I guess. lol From that list I would really want to see Biffy, enemy Katy Perry (just cause shes fit :D) and MGMT, whom are awesome live. :)

After going to Glasto last year, im not doing any this year due to exams and stuff, and instead plan to go on a big holiday which will be nice.

However next year, reports suggest a mega leeds line up of muse, arctic monkeys and qotsa (and theyre not even all the major acts)

I'd definetly recommend seing elbow as they're immense in an open field whilst the sun is setting. 'A day like this' is an amazing song. I'd also go and watch the killers, i seen them at v 07' and they were epic. Brandon Flowers has so much stage presence and can definetly work a crowd. Biffy are also amazing. And i agree with Kevin about the saturdays, just go and gaze ;)

Unmissable:

Razorlight

The Killers

MGMT

The Script

Biffy Clyro

Dizzee Rascal

Would Watch:

Keane

Snow Patrol

Ting Tings

Katy Perry

The Enemy

Pendulum

Seasick Steve

The Wombats

James Morrison

Don't Care:

Ocean Colour Scene

Oasis

Elbow

The Specials

James???

Lily Allen

The Streets

Avoid Like The Plague:

Fatboy Slim

Paolo Nutini

Peter Doherty

Lady GaGa

Happy Mondays

The Saturdays

:)

There's not one single unmissable band there for me. Don't get me wrong, they've got a fair few good acts but nothing that makes me want to buy a ticket particularly. Coachella again for me this year, so many top acts. I'd go just for TV on the Radio, The Hold Steady and Yeah Yeah Yeahs really.

Schuldiner I am outraged by your disrespect of The Specials!:P

I also think you should move The Enemy into the 'avoid like the plague' column' date=' I can't stand those guys![/quote']

Haha. No Specials disrespect intended. I recognise the fact they are/were a decent band, but they just don't really match my own personal tastes.

And to be honest, I couldn't really give a hoot about The Enemy. They're just another copycat, soundalike, blend into the ocean of blandness, 'let's jump on the indie bandwagon cos it's what's popular' type band. Just a substandard rehash of what went before, with nothing new or original about them whatsoever.

Having said that though, they do have a hell of a lot more artistical integrity than The Saturdays, The Ting Tings and Lady Gaga... and although I dislike them, hearing their music just makes me want to turn the stereo off. Hearing the bands in my 'avoid' list makes me want to throw the thing through the window. :P

There's not one single unmissable band there for me. Don't get me wrong' date=' they've got a fair few good acts but nothing that makes me want to buy a ticket particularly. Coachella again for me this year, so many top acts. I'd go just for TV on the Radio, The Hold Steady and Yeah Yeah Yeahs really.[/quote']

Coachella also has an excellent line-up and festival that can get The Stooges, the Pixies and Rage Against the Machine back together is always going to be good.

TV on the Radio and The Hold Steady will be great I'm sure and there are a few other great people on the bill this year:

Paul McCartney, Morrisey, Leonard Cohen, Conor Oberst, Bob Mould, Fleet Foxes, Liars, Supechunk, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Public Enemy and X. They're just the unmissables, there are tons more good bands too.

Out of interest, were you saying you're going to Coachella or you just think it is the best?

Coachella also has an excellent line-up and festival that can get The Stooges' date=' the Pixies and Rage Against the Machine back together is always going to be good.

TV on the Radio and The Hold Steady will be great I'm sure and there are a few other great people on the bill this year:

Paul McCartney, Morrisey, Leonard Cohen, Conor Oberst, Bob Mould, Fleet Foxes, Liars, Supechunk, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Public Enemy and X. They're just the unmissables, there are tons more good bands too.

Out of interest, were you saying you're going to Coachella or you just think it is the best?[/quote']

Completely agree. I haven't really given Bob Mould, Superchunk or X a listen at all, I'll have to make sure to take them in.

Completely agree. I haven't really given Bob Mould' date=' Superchunk or X a listen at all, I'll have to make sure to take them in.[/quote']

If you're going to listen to Bob Mould, listen to his 80s hardcore punk band Husker Du- they're probably the best group of the 80s :) They're just amazing. If you like bands like Nirvana, Nirvana's sound can be traced back mainly to two bands: Husker Du and the Pixies. Cobain said 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' was him attempting to "rip off a Pixies song". I don't know if you know about these bands, or if you even like Nirvana but I thought I'd recommend them to anyone reading this thread :)

Mould has done so much good work it is criminal he is largely unknown. In addition to Husker Du he's had a great solo career and done some wonderful stuff with another of his bands Sugar.

Ahhh Husker Du. My brothers got a bit of their stuff that I've listened to fairly recently, I had no idea one of them was Bob Mould though. I'll definately check him out knowing that now.

Aye, Nirvana and The Pixies are great, I particularly like the latter. Been meaning the give Frank Black's new stuff as Grand Duchy a listen, apparently it's better than anything else he's done post-Pixies.

Ahhh Husker Du. My brothers got a bit of their stuff that I've listened to fairly recently' date=' I had no idea one of them was Bob Mould though. I'll definately check him out knowing that now.

Aye, Nirvana and The Pixies are great, I particularly like the latter. Been meaning the give Frank Black's new stuff as Grand Duchy a listen, apparently it's better than anything else he's done post-Pixies.[/quote']

Yeah, it's great. It's got his wife on and there's some lovely, unexpected interplay between the two. If you like him, give his last EP a listen: SVN FNGRS. It's about the legend of Cuchulain, the Irish warrior and is a great listen.