Man Utd V Liverpool

James C

Re: Man Utd V Liverpool

Nah just honest facts my friend' date=' what have liverpool won in the last 2 years? lol

as u see united are a soild side with a top bench does liverpool have that?

Quaity is the key for titles which liverpool have been lacking, pool fans are in dream land thinkin they are going to win the prem this season lol[/quote']

LOL. What rubbish. We beat you in the first half of the season. We can do it again. Haha. I highly doubt Man United will beat Liverpool on Saturday.

I dont think Man U would have beat Real Madrid twice.

They are a better team by far than Inter Milan and Milan had almost their whole defence out. Yet Man U didnt look nearly as good at any point than Liverpool.

anyway.... Both teams through quite easy, no major injuries. Saturday 12:15

It's On!

They are a better team by far than Inter Milan and Milan had almost their whole defence out. Yet Man U didnt look nearly as good at any point than Liverpool.

anyway.... Both teams through quite easy' date=' no major injuries. Saturday 12:15

It's On!

Not even once my friend, not even once.

To be fair, Maicon, Cordoba, Samuel, Santon is hardly a weak back four. If Rivas had played, you might have had a point... but he didn't. Cordoba is their best CB in my opinion. After that, they have Chivu, Materazzi and Samuel who are all of similar ability. Burdisso isn't in the same league as those anyway. Maicon is the world's best RB, and Santon is keeping Maxwell out of the team (says everything you need to know about him).

Inter's problem is their lack of width and lack of penetration in midfield, not their defence.

I think Real Madrid are just as weak as Inter at the moment too. Probably even moreso. 3 substandard defenders, and one who has bags of talent, but looks like he can't be bothered. Then there's the attacking problems, with van Nistelrooy out and Huntelaar ineligible for the CL. General lack of creativity in midfield (van der Vaart needs to play every game imo). Real Madrid are becoming the laughing stock of Europe at the moment, actually. 2nd in the group behind a team that weren't even in the competition last year, dumped out in the QF by Monaco in 2004, dumped out in the last 16 every season since... they're a quality side, but they're underachieving almost as badly as pre-2008 Spain these days.

Right now, in Europe, Inter > Real Madrid.

Liverpool got a brilliant result though. Can't wait for Saturday. :P

You're not going to beat us at OT, by the way. The last time we didn't win at home was the 1-1 draw with Newcastle on the opening day of the season... and the last time anyone beat us at OT in the EPL was february LAST season. :D

To be fair' date=' Maicon, Cordoba, Samuel, Santon is hardly a weak back four. If Rivas had played, you might have had a point... but he didn't. Cordoba is their best CB in my opinion. After that, they have Chivu, Materazzi and Samuel who are all of similar ability. Burdisso isn't in the same league as those anyway. Maicon is the world's best RB, and Santon is keeping Maxwell out of the team (says everything you need to know about him).

[b']Inter's problem is their lack of width and lack of penetration in midfield, not their defence.[/b]

I think Real Madrid are just as weak as Inter at the moment too. Probably even moreso. 3 substandard defenders, and one who has bags of talent, but looks like he can't be bothered. Then there's the attacking problems, with van Nistelrooy out and Huntelaar ineligible for the CL. General lack of creativity in midfield (van der Vaart needs to play every game imo). Real Madrid are becoming the laughing stock of Europe at the moment, actually. 2nd in the group behind a team that weren't even in the competition last year, dumped out in the QF by Monaco in 2004, dumped out in the last 16 every season since... they're a quality side, but they're underachieving almost as badly as pre-2008 Spain these days.

Right now, in Europe, Inter > Real Madrid.

Liverpool got a brilliant result though. Can't wait for Saturday. :P

You're not going to beat us at OT, by the way. The last time we didn't win at home was the 1-1 draw with Newcastle on the opening day of the season... and the last time anyone beat us at OT in the EPL was february LAST season. :D

i don't think you can consider a lack of width a problem. Italian clubs in general don't use the flanks because of their narrower pitches. Look at how quaresma and mancini became flops. Milan, juventus, roma, inter etc don't use wingers either.

real madrid isn't a weak side. You don't consider a team that has won 10 games on the trot weak. Sneijder, vdv, robben etc are already considered the finest footballers in the world. The very reason why they lost was because they expected us to sit back and wait for the counterattack, which they didn't.

my conclusion after this week's CL is that the gulf between the epl and the spainish, italian leagues is simply too big.

just my opinion though.

Nicky:

Liverpool were actually playing well at the beginning of the season. United were not. So you beat us, at bloomin' Anfield as well.

Now, United are pretty much unstoppable. Even Jose couldn't stop us. There's no way Liverpool are gonna win, or even draw, because you're simply not good enough. Your league form has been pathetic lately, considering you're supposed to be challenging for the title. Then again, it seems every year Liverpool start of well, but because of the severe lack of quality on your squad, you falter away. Your bench players would struggle to make the Spurs team. And, goodness, I had a laugh when you said Pool were gonna overtake United and Chelsea. There's no way that's gonna happen, both teams are much better than Liverpool.

i don't think you can consider a lack of width a problem. Italian clubs in general don't use the flanks because of their narrower pitches. Look at how quaresma and mancini became flops. Milan' date=' juventus, roma, inter etc don't use wingers either.[/quote']

If you play narrow, you are generally defensively stronger, because you leave less gaps in midfield and therefore are more difficult to break down, but you create less chances. I'm not necessarily talking about having pacy players out wide that you constantly play the ball to... simply putting players in wide positions, even if they don't do much, means that the opposition defence is forced to spread out more, creating more space for central players, and therefore giving them more scoring chances. Inter don't do that.

Milan have Kaka and Ronaldinho playing behind the striker (and they do drift into wider positions occasionally to create that bit of extra space), so it isn't as much of an issue for them. Players of that quality don't need as much space to work their magic. Inter only have an ageing Stankovic, so against top teams their lack of width becomes a major problem, and they rely on Ibrahimovic dropping deeper to help out (possibly a reason he isn't as good in Europe?). The players in the middle aren't as skillful and need more space to work with... no width means they don't get that space.

Quaresma and Mancini being flops has nothing to do with Italy's narrower pitches. Mancini was brilliant at Roma in exactly the same league he's playing in now. Quaresma has flopped every time he's moved outside Portugal, so that was predictable.

real madrid isn't a weak side. You don't consider a team that has won 10 games on the trot weak. Sneijder' date=' vdv, robben etc are already considered the finest footballers in the world. The very reason why they lost was because they expected us to sit back and wait for the counterattack, which they didn't.[/quote']

No, Madrid certainly aren't weak on paper. On the pitch though, it's been a different story in the CL for quite a few years. The last time they beat a half decent side in Europe was Bayern Munich in the last 16 of the 2003-04 tournament... and they even followed that up with being beaten by Monaco in the QF. :rolleyes:

2008-09: 2nd in group behind Juventus, beaten by Liverpool in last 16.

2007-08: 1st in group but only beat Olympiakos on goals scored, beaten by Roma in last 16.

2006-07: 2nd in group behind Lyon, beaten by Bayern in last 16.

2005-06: 2nd in group behind Lyon, beaten by Arsenal in last 16.

2004-05: 2nd in group behind Leverkusen, beaten by Juventus in last 16.

2003-04: 1st in group, beat Bayern in last 16, beaten by Monaco in QF.

That's hardly the record of one of Europe's elite, is it?

Yes, they won 10 in a row in La Liga... but who were those games against?

1-0 Valencia

1-0 Villarreal

3-0 Mallorca

3-1 Osasuna

1-0 Deportivo

2-0 Numancia

1-0 Santander

4-0 Gijon

6-1 Betis

2-0 Espanyol

Even the first 2 aren't on the same level as Liverpool... the rest are all way off that standard. In the 3 games before that, they were beaten by Getafe, Sevilla and Barcelona. Even if they had played good teams, Real are a totally different team in La Liga than they are in the CL.

Yes, Juande Ramos got his tactics all wrong... but even if Madrid did play well on tuesday, recent European form suggests Liverpool should have won anyway.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Liverpool's achievement. I'm just pointing out that certain people in this thread are SERIOUSLY overestimating how good Real Madrid are at the moment, especially in the CL. Whoever Liverpool draw in the next round (even Villarreal or Porto) will be a much tougher test than Real Madrid proved to be.

If you play narrow' date=' you are generally defensively stronger, because you leave less gaps in midfield and therefore are more difficult to break down, but you create less chances. I'm not necessarily talking about having pacy players out wide that you constantly play the ball to... simply putting players in wide positions, even if they don't do much, means that the opposition defence is forced to spread out more, creating more space for central players, and therefore giving them more scoring chances. Inter don't do that.

Milan have Kaka and Ronaldinho playing behind the striker (and they do drift into wider positions occasionally to create that bit of extra space), so it isn't as much of an issue for them. Players of that quality don't need as much space to work their magic. Inter only have an ageing Stankovic, so against top teams their lack of width becomes a major problem, and they rely on Ibrahimovic dropping deeper to help out (possibly a reason he isn't as good in Europe?). The players in the middle aren't as skillful and need more space to work with... no width means they don't get that space.

Quaresma and Mancini being flops has nothing to do with Italy's narrower pitches. Mancini was brilliant at Roma in exactly the same league he's playing in now. Quaresma has flopped every time he's moved outside Portugal, so that was predictable.

No, Madrid certainly aren't weak on paper. On the pitch though, it's been a different story in the CL for quite a few years. The last time they beat a half decent side in Europe was Bayern Munich in the last 16 of the 2003-04 tournament... and they even followed that up with being beaten by Monaco in the QF. :rolleyes:

2008-09: 2nd in group behind Juventus, beaten by Liverpool in last 16.

2007-08: 1st in group but only beat Olympiakos on goals scored, beaten by Roma in last 16.

2006-07: 2nd in group behind Lyon, beaten by Bayern in last 16.

2005-06: 2nd in group behind Lyon, beaten by Arsenal in last 16.

2004-05: 2nd in group behind Leverkusen, beaten by Juventus in last 16.

2003-04: 1st in group, beat Bayern in last 16, beaten by Monaco in QF.

That's hardly the record of one of Europe's elite, is it?

Yes, they won 10 in a row in La Liga... but who were those games against?

1-0 Valencia

1-0 Villarreal

3-0 Mallorca

3-1 Osasuna

1-0 Deportivo

2-0 Numancia

1-0 Santander

4-0 Gijon

6-1 Betis

2-0 Espanyol

Even the first 2 aren't on the same level as Liverpool... the rest are all way off that standard. In the 3 games before that, they were beaten by Getafe, Sevilla and Barcelona. Even if they had played good teams, Real are a totally different team in La Liga than they are in the CL.

Yes, Juande Ramos got his tactics all wrong... but even if Madrid did play well on tuesday, recent European form suggests Liverpool should have won anyway.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Liverpool's achievement. I'm just pointing out that certain people in this thread are SERIOUSLY overestimating how good Real Madrid are at the moment, especially in the CL. Whoever Liverpool draw in the next round (even Villarreal or Porto) will be a much tougher test than Real Madrid proved to be.[/quote']

Brilliant post; I agree with pretty much everything here.

Well i personally think Inter are a better team than Real at the moment ,while it was still a great result for us we have beaten a massive World club name like we are at the moment than a great team .

We both need more improvements .:P

Dont know why were comparing European results with saturdays game,will have no bearing whatsoever.

Take them that think Real are far better than Inter ,well the way most english thinking goes on why our clubs are better than the other countries because of champion league results ,on this basis Inter looks like being 4 times serie A champions on the trot so must be better than the rest of italian teams ,yet in Champions league last round Juve beat Real home and away and were saying they are not the team they were ,yet gave Chelsea a good run for their money .

So with Juve getting home and away win same as us against Real i think i could safetly say Inter to me are a harder and better side than Real .

Anyway will come off this because whatever has gone on before tommorrows game goes out the window .

United at OT is one of the hardest games we will play and it will be a typical English game hence forget about the European games.

If Rafa picks same team as on Tues and gives them the freedom to attack like he did then it will be a great and exciting match and i can see it going end to end ,but United have a far better defence than Real so i can see it being more how we played at the Bernabeu than at Anfield and hoping to pinch a goal .

Look at me saying earlier wouldnt compare European games .:D;):)

I see Mr. Rooney has caused a stir. Completely unnecessary.

Not really mate if they all read the full paper statements ,plus they will add a bit more spice ,we know he hates Liverpool and the Kop he was a Blue so its not new .

But if you do read past this part he does give respect to Liverpool for making it a good race and can still be if United lose and thats why it would give him pleasure if he could help end our hopes tommorrow ,nope nothing wrong in what he said just how the headlines blasted " i hate the kop "

Sensational yes but if read the rest of small print like i said he gives us respect .:)

Wasn't it MUTV he gave the interview to? I'm pretty sure. Anyway, I just think it has enough spice without feeding the media these snippets. And given his occasional habit of blowing a fuse, I'd sooner he wasn't talking about hatred and such. He has had the odd temperamental moment of late as well. I hope to god he doesn't do a Mascherano. I'd rather he kept his head down and concentrated on playing football.

Wasn't it MUTV he gave the interview to? I'm pretty sure. Anyway' date=' I just think it has enough spice without feeding the media these snippets. And given his occasional habit of blowing a fuse, I'd sooner he wasn't talking about hatred and such. He has had the odd temperamental moment of late as well. I hope to god he doesn't do a Mascherano. I'd rather he kept his head down and concentrated on playing football.[/quote']

They removed it off the United Web site but the "Sun " very unusual for them made it a massive statement :D

But like i said if you read the small print of everything he said nothing to me to to be concerened about ,he may hate LFC and the Kop but he still gives us deserved credit ,so good for him and never mind the gutter press ,its always blown out of context of whats said .

Another intersting factor for LFC fans with Saturdays game,

"Should Liverpool take all three points, Benitez will become the third fastest manager in Liverpool's history to clock up 100 league wins.

The clash is his 181st in charge and only legendary duo Bob Paisley and Kenny Dalglish can boast a better record.

Dalglish's 100th victory came in his 167th game, while Paisley's arrived in his 179th.

Bill Shankly is currently third on the list with 100 wins coming in 184 games."

United manager Alex Ferguson took 231 matches to arrive at his ton.

So ammongst these famous LFC names and their achievments with what Sir Alex has achieved and still is achieving even though he took the longest ,i think it shows why they need to get him to sign his contact asap and give him the time he requires to finish the job he has started .

Even i say were to negative at home and thats cost us with the draws and we need to attack more like United /Arsenal etc but if the stats are true we actually scored 119 goals last season in all comps more than any other English team ,so maybe he isnt as negative as we think and just needs too get the correct players he wants for his final pieces of jigsaw.:)

You're not going to beat us at OT' date=' by the way. The last time we didn't win at home was the 1-1 draw with Newcastle on the opening day of the season... and the last time anyone beat us at OT in the EPL was february LAST season. :D[/quote']

didnt Chelsea have an even better home record before we thrashed them?

didnt Chelsea have an even better home record before we thrashed them?

Yup. I think they didn't lose at Home often. A good amount of matches they won/drew at Stamford Bridge. By the way it was Liverpool who kept United in the race with a win over Chelsea. Chelsea were on top. Most points. United were sitting laggily in third. When Alonso's shot went in. Chelsea tumbled. Lost everything so they began losing.

Just heard there's no Berbatov and Rooney and tevez will start. And as much as I like Berba this might be a good decision by fergie. I don't expect Liverpool to be anywhere near as good as Tuesday.

Just love this game as well

Wow, that is a great bit of news. I was really disappointed when Ferige did not give Tevez a crack at Inter but i guess starting him against Liverpool is also good enough. I'm sure he will greatly impact the game. Mark my words he's gonna score. Common Tevez !!!! :D

P.S. Is Berba injured or did Fergie just decide to give Tevez a start? Berba had injured his ankle before the inter game.