New Home page

Hi, Id just like your thoughts on what looks like a new home page.

I hope its just a glitch due to the new changes because it is awful. What was wrong with the old one.

Also I dont care who John Gooze has just made friends with, no offense to John Gooze, I think he's class, but he's the main man on the site, so he will be making friends with lots of people so they can get into Westgate, so why has this been given centre-stage while our clubs have been squeezed into a tiny corner of the screen.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: New Home page

They done this few dyas ago' date=' was similar to this.. there just testing tough.

Not home page.. Account Page When ya login.

but ya in general its horrible if it stays sometin similar[/quote']

It wasnt like that 15 minutes ago. Also, Im part of Westgate, but this homepage covers all my clubs. For those not in Westgate, does it not look like this.

It is the home page, when you click on My Home.

Awful yet again from SM...What are they wasteing their time on pointless things like this for?

I have friends on this game in some GC's i'm in, to be fair to them i am NOT even slightly interested if they have quit or joined another team in a different or made friends with someone else. I don't want my teams crammed into the corner so i can see that worthless informations!

Change it back please, or at least give us the option for the old view

SM is turning more into a Facebook/MySpace site' date=' i actually like the new look though.

Wasn't the Forum supposed to be upgraded?

Edit: Just noticed a few changes to the forum, they should of changed the layout/colour of the forum atleast.[/quote']

They did once before. They changed the green to blue but people didnt like it so they changed it back.

I agree with you in some aspects. I mean, the layout isnt too bad. In fact, theyve made a change in the last 10 seconds to do with the profile picture. But two things bug me most of all:

One. Ive done GCSE ICT, am currently doing AS Level Computing, and teaching myself various over IT stuff, and what Ive learnt is that good websites follow what I call the 'Grid' System.

Basically, place a 'noughts and crosses' style grid over a webpage. The most important stuff should lie on the lines of the grid, as this is where the users eyes are focused on. The clubs bit is not on the lines, therefore is out of the focus of the users eyes.

Two. Because there are so many scroll bars now on the homepage, the slider on the mouse is almost obscelete, I cant use it anymore.

Say for instance I want to scroll down to the blog. Now I cant do that in one scroll, so I scroll twice or maybe three times. Now the cursor after the first scroll is likely to finish in one of the scroll boxes, so it stops scrolling down the full page and instead scrolls the box.

Hopefully SM can take my points into consideration. If they want, I could send them the grid I use for web page design.

Hate it. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

I can't say I give a toss (language?) what my "Friends" are doing or who's won a GC. The GC thing was fine where it was before. The homepage looks awful on the eye; it looked much better with the badges. In any case, most of my "friends" are people who added me so I could invite into my GW. So I now have news of about 100+ people, and I couldn't care less what they're doing.

And I can't say I'm happy that my "friends" can see what I am doing either. I prefer privacy.

Another poor change, joined with the idea of getting rid of the ability to buy risers, sees me rapidly losing interest with SM...

Guest R. Peters

I like the news feed, good to see what yoru friends are doing. However, the layout is horrible because it is all spaced out, why do SM waste time on useless things?

Its very poor..bring back the old 1..

news feeds should be a side part of the page and a lot smaller...i dont know about others but the news feed is far to big and i dont wanna know about whos won what cup in a setup im not in and who is now friend with who..

I wany easy access to my teams but now there pushed over to the side and i have to scholl up and down just to log in to a team..

Your clubs should be centred like b4..

They did once before. They changed the green to blue but people didnt like it so they changed it back.

I agree with you in some aspects. I mean' date=' the layout isnt too bad. In fact, theyve made a change in the last 10 seconds to do with the profile picture. But two things bug me most of all:

One. Ive done GCSE ICT, am currently doing AS Level Computing, and teaching myself various over IT stuff, and what Ive learnt is that good websites follow what I call the 'Grid' System.

Basically, place a 'noughts and crosses' style grid over a webpage. The most important stuff should lie on the lines of the grid, as this is where the users eyes are focused on. The clubs bit is not on the lines, therefore is out of the focus of the users eyes.

Two. Because there are so many scroll bars now on the homepage, the slider on the mouse is almost obscelete, I cant use it anymore.

Say for instance I want to scroll down to the blog. Now I cant do that in one scroll, so I scroll twice or maybe three times. Now the cursor after the first scroll is likely to finish in one of the scroll boxes, so it stops scrolling down the full page and instead scrolls the box.

Hopefully SM can take my points into consideration. If they want, I could send them the grid I use for web page design.[/quote']

I dont think I was very clear with my explanation, so Ive made a visual demonstration.

homegrid.jpg

Ive created this image on Paint, but the real grid is just an A4 sheet of page folded and cut to form the same shape, which I lay on the screen. When you look directly at the centre of the screen (dont try this at home, you could ruin your eyeballs and its really difficult to get new ones ;)) You can see whatever is in the centre square, and everything else in whats called 'peripheral vision.' When you adjust your focus onto another square, you can see that square in focus and all the rest are in peripheral vision. Now as you can see, the Clubs lies in the middle-right box, (box 6 if you number them 1 to 9) which is not the ideal place for the key part of the page. Thats the reason why the toolbar (red on my example) is where it is, as on the old example, when you looked at your clubs, the toolbar would be bang-on that top line.

Would much rather my teams (complete with team logos) taking preference on that page. Teams should be the priority by a mile. Having to scroll down a side box full of text to see if my teams have new messages is a definite downgrade. In a perfect world I'd like to see the teams in a block so if you have 10-20 teams you could see them all without scrolling at all.

Oh and add me to the list of people that couldn't care less about who's doing what or who's just won a Charity Shield match in some random GW either. If that stays like it is everyone in my friends list is going to be deleted. :D

The change to the news feeds inside the individual GWs is an improvement though. The smaller, lighter text for the date is excellent.

Changes always take a while to get used to but, I dunno, this change feels extremely counter-intuitive. I'm a little confused as to the logic behind it as the old frontpage was just about ideal IMO (aside from some of the banner content but I know the official line on that one ;) )