Amir Khan Fight On Saturday

Stevie Blade

Re: Amir Khan Fight On Saturday

i think barrera would have won if it wasnt for the clash of heads' date='barrera didnt get hurt by any of Khans punches and he would have walked through them and knock him out.khan was acting like his world class but his not and if he fights marquez i think he might die.[/quote']

Can't agree with that, realistically he would have had to knock Khan out relatively early to win, the longer it went out the better Khan's chances would have got. I just don't think Barrera has the arsenal or desire to knock somebody out anymore, or the power at that weight. It was a good fight at a good time for Khan, Barrera is done as a top class fighter, or anything like one.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't agree with that' date=' realistically he would have had to knock Khan out relatively early to win, the longer it went out the better Khan's chances would have got. I just don't think Barrera has the arsenal or desire to knock somebody out anymore, or the power at that weight. It was a good fight at a good time for Khan, Barrera is done as a top class fighter, or anything like one.[/quote']

i think he would have caught him with that left hook one cleanly and knocked khan out.

either way it was a huge anti climax which ive learnt nothing new about amir khan.

.. amir khan was world class last night.. atmosphere was electric..... dont no why some people were booing khan on his way out like, thy soon turned into supporters when they saw his blistering combination's take barrera apart.

was a shame to see a legend embarrassed, and he would have been with or without that cut. And we did learn something and that is that amir khan can like freddie roach said carry out his plans, he also took a couple of solid barrera punches aswell :):P

Well done Amir :)

.. amir khan was world class last night.. atmosphere was electric..... dont no why some people were booing khan on his way out like' date=' thy soon turned into supporters when they saw his blistering combination's take barrera apart.

was a shame to see a legend embarrassed, and he would have been with or without that cut. And we did learn something and that is that amir khan can like freddie roach said carry out his plans, he also took a couple of solid barrera punches aswell :):P

Well done Amir :)[/quote']

Yeah.

Thanks for the PM. Even though it was rather heated. No need for that mate.

I don't know anything about boxing? Why? Because my opinion is different to yours? I don't have a problem with Kahn at all. I just don't know what all the hype is about? He has fast hands yes, but a lack of power behind them. He cant take a punch, as proved in the fight against Prescott.

I thought the fight was terrible. You saying Kahn looks good after a performance against a blind man... Well done you. Give him a proper challenge and see what he can do. I'm not going to judge him properly until I have seen him fight someone of class. Oh wait, he has already, Prescott, and lost... :rolleyes:

How can you say Barrera would have been embarrased? Its more embarrasing for Kahn having to fight a has been to try and give himself confidence.:rolleyes:

As usual the reality lies somewhere between the two extremes. Yes, the win on Saturday, and Khan himself to an extent, were well overhyped. Yes, Barrera is a shadow of his former self. And yes the victory is somewhat overshadowed by the cut.

However, I certainly learnt something new about Khan. I was watching closely and it's clear Roach has already improved upon his defence an awful lot. If he can keep improving and package it with his speed he's got a chance to become the real deal, providing his chin isn't made of glass, as anybody could be forgiven for assuming at this stage.

It's an embarrassing fight for neither incidently. Everyone knows Barrera is on his way down and realisticly had low expectations after his sub standard performances post-mauling by Pac man. He got his pay day and has a passable excuse for the loss, happy enough. And Khan finding himself in his current situation needs to take fights like this. Far from being embarrassing that he 'has to' fight a has been, it's actually an incredibly smart pick from his team. For all he his standards have dropped Barrera has name value and having seen the way the fight has been covered Khan's received much more publicity and hype for a victory over a declining fighter than he would have by taking on possibly a tougher fight against a lesser known boxer in his prime.

He'd probably beat Prescott now with the benefit of going through the Roach pre-fight camp, but it probably won't happen. Breidis isn't even top ten (I don't think), if Warren's taken at his word Khan's going after a World belt. So you're looking at Campbell, Marquez or whoever takes the WBC belt, probably Valero/Pitalua.

.. amir khan was world class last night.. atmosphere was electric..... dont no why some people were booing khan on his way out like' date=' thy soon turned into supporters when they saw his blistering combination's take barrera apart.

Well done Amir :)[/quote']

World class HAHA thats quality mate what a idiotic thing to say, world class is ricky hatton manny pacquaio floyd mayweather and maybe juan manuel marquez and khan is absouletely NOWHERE and i mean nowhere near there class.

@RoKo7,

I completely agree with your last point. The truth definitely lies somewhere between the two extremes.

The cut ruined the fight only because it allows people to have their opinions without conclusive evidence but on the rounds we saw I believe Kahn would have won it possibly with a KO but more likely on points.

Barrera was a class fighter who was clearly past his best. However it was difficult to knock him out in his prime and even when past it you don't loose a concrete chin. You just get brain damage. Evander Holyfield anyone? If they had let that fight go to the finish then it would have been cruel.

The right fight for Khan at the right time. Khan now vs. Barrera in his prime would have been a mismatch but Khan is moving in the right direction in the same way Barrera is in reverse. Kahn is a classy fighter, entertaining and great technically going forward. If he keeps his negligible chin covered then he could rule this division..... in time.

He aint no Prince, who in my opinion was the most gifted I have seen but his attitude sucked. When he fought Barrera, he proved that he was too arrogant to change his tactics, he could have covered up, picked off Barrera and won on points but his ego wouldn't let him. He had to try and knock him out. But I digress.

Regarding Sat, credit when its due. He beat the guy in front of him and that's all he can do.

With the right coaching and the right fights Kahn could become a top World Champion, its a long shot but that's what boxing is all about. I love this sport almost as much as football. :D

If there was truth in the Marquez rumour, you'd have to think Sky would be privy. But this is their stance...

Two of the lightweight belts - the WBA and WBO - were on the line when Juan Manuel Marquez beat Juan Diaz last month, but Warren will surely want to avoid the the three-weight world champion and ring legend at this stage of Khan's career.

• 4 months later...
Guest Toggs

Amir Khan = Absoulutly Quality!

Leight-Welterweight Championship.

120-108

118-108

118-108

Gone the distance for the second time. Showed how fit he was, everytime he was hit, countered excellent and is a worthy champion.

Take a bow Khan, and Freddie Loach.

• 3 weeks later...

a good performance by khan but true boxing enthusiasts will realise this guy was a paper champion. khans tactics were good he made kotelnik change his gameplan and try to pressure khan when he is naturally a counter puncher.

tbh he didnt deserve the title shot in the first place, beating an old, blind legend is hardly world title contender material.

and this leads me on to my last point which is the news that khan may vacate his world title and fight eric morales.

eric morales was a real great fighter but tbh he isnt in khans league at this stage of his career. eric morales isnt the real reason khan would vacate his title however, the real reason goes by name of maidana. he's a massive puncher and a risky fighter that roach and warren wont want to take before khans earnt them abit more money.

im not a khan hater, i was a fan of his however looking at fighting eric morales and vacating his world title symbolises the big problem with the sport today.