Zlatan Ibrahimovic Ignorance

Guest melbguy1

Guest melbguy1

With the big game on tomorrow I found this article. It was as if I wrote it.

The comments at the bottom are just as thought provoking and exactly my thoughts on the subject. Don't think I have ever read a blog + comments that made me feel all normal again.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/blogs/sw77.html

And the final comment sounds like this forum at times:mad:

Re: Zlatan Ibrahimovic Ignorance

Did I hear correctly when the commentator said Ibrah has never scored in the knock out stages of the champions league.

Yeah, six goals in 21 Champions league matches, apparently. But none have come in the knockout phase. He has enough fans for us to know he must have some real quality but we just don't tend to see it in the biggest European games. And again, he was absolutely woeful last night.

Yeah' date=' six goals in 21 Champions league matches, apparently. But none have come in the knockout phase. He has enough fans for us to know he must have some real quality but we just don't tend to see it in the biggest European games. And again, he was absolutely woeful last night.[/quote']

His overall play/build-up play was actually pretty alright, but he was lacking the ability to finish anything at all.

Yeah' date=' six goals in 21 Champions league matches, apparently. But none have come in the knockout phase. He has enough fans for us to know he must have some real quality but we just don't tend to see it in the biggest European games. And again, he was absolutely woeful last night.[/quote']

he wasnt woeful at all he setup stankovic who missed a fairly easy chance hit the bar and could have finished another couple of chances. for what its worth his not world class as he isnt clinical enough but his certainly a very good player.

Oh, I don't deny he has quality. I said in a previous post that he wouldn't have so many admirers if he didn't have some quality. But people speak of him being top class, up there with the best around. And, like you, I don't see it. I don't watch Italian football, as a spectacle it bores me to tears, but I do watch the Champions league and, if you're top class, the champions league is where you prove it. All too often, he doesn't produce.

People often wax lyrical about his attributes, put him in a bracket with the likes of Torres and Ronaldo. On the evidence I have seen, he doesn't befit this hype. Last night his end product was, barring the odd glimpse of quality, woeful - as it was against Liverpool last time out. The United crowd lapped it up. And it was, all in all, a typical Ibrahimovic big european performance. Underwhelming.

Oh' date=' I don't deny he has quality. I said in a previous post that he wouldn't have so many admirers if he didn't have some quality. But people speak of him being top class, up there with the best around. And, like you, I don't see it. I don't watch Italian football, as a spectacle it bores me to tears, but I do watch the Champions league and, if you're top class, the champions league is where you prove it. All too often, he doesn't produce.

People often wax lyrical about his attributes, put him in a bracket with the likes of Torres and Ronaldo. On the evidence I have seen, he doesn't befit this hype. Last night his end product [i']was[/i], barring the odd glimpse of quality, woeful - as it was against Liverpool last time out. The United crowd lapped it up. And it was, all in all, a typical Ibrahimovic big european performance. Underwhelming.

i think the only reason he gets the hype he gets is that he plays for team in a weak league tbh and is one of the stars of the league and rightly so look at his goal scoring record. but remember this is a league when players like maldini can still play at a high level and david beckhams lack of any pace doesnt get exposed.

i mean could you imagine maldini in the premiership against players like lennon,agbonhalor martins and ronaldo;) he would get exposed as a fine player whos legs arent there anymore yet in serie A noone does this because its very technical and until maldinis a grandad he could probably still play.

This also shows in the lack of Serie A prowess in the champions league apart from AC Milan who basically ditch the league and base there season around it and they possess serie A truly quality players in kaka and ronaldinho.

Inter dare i say it dont have a lot of quality and like chelsea grind out results week in week out and thats why mourinhos adapted so well.i thought inter vs ac was a good game but compared to the 2-1 arsenal game against man utd or the 4-4 draw between villareal and atletico madrid it just doesnt compare, so when you realise this you have to prove yourself in the champions league to be recgonized and kaka and ronaldinho have done has ibramhovic no he can prove me wrong and if he does perform on the world stage then ill admit his world class but until then you have to say he isnt.

Guest melbguy1

Oh' date=' I don't deny he has quality. I said in a previous post that he wouldn't have so many admirers if he didn't have some quality. But people speak of him being top class, up there with the best around. And, like you, I don't see it.[b'] I don't watch Italian football[/b], as a spectacle it bores me to tears, but I do watch the Champions league and, if you're top class, the champions league is where you prove it. All too often, he doesn't produce.

People often wax lyrical about his attributes, put him in a bracket with the likes of Torres and Ronaldo. On the evidence I have seen, he doesn't befit this hype. Last night his end product was, barring the odd glimpse of quality, woeful - as it was against Liverpool last time out. The United crowd lapped it up. And it was, all in all, a typical Ibrahimovic big european performance. Underwhelming.

Your sample size is what? maybe 3, 4 games? 5 at most? out of 100? That article was written for people like you:p

i mean could you imagine maldini in the premiership against players like lennon' date='agbonhalor martins and ronaldo[/quote']

You obviously missed out on the AC v Arsenal clash last year then:rolleyes:

His finishing is top class, if you bothered to watch him play and it's amazing the dribble on here, would you guys be dribbling as much if his 'poster' went in? or if at least 2 oother shots of his were centimeters closer? centimeters was the difference between him scoring 2-3 goals that game... you would think that soccer 'experts' would realise that. Yes, getting the goal is everything but if someone didn't watch the game and read you guys comments they would think he was 'swinging and missing':rolleyes:

Your sample size is what? maybe 3' date=' 4 games? 5 at most? out of 100? That article was written for people like you:p

You obviously missed out on the AC v Arsenal clash last year then:rolleyes:

His finishing is top class, if you bothered to watch him play and it's amazing the dribble on here, would you guys be dribbling as much if his 'poster' went in? or if at least 2 oother shots of his were centimeters closer? centimeters was the difference between him scoring 2-3 goals that game... you would think that soccer 'experts' would realise that. Yes, getting the goal is everything but if someone didn't watch the game and read you guys comments they would think he was 'swinging and missing':rolleyes:[/quote']

i said he had a good game last night but going off what ive seen his not world class.

I've tried and failed in watching the odd game of Italian football, it's just far too pedestrian for my tastes. But anyway, as long as it is of a superior level to Serie A, the champions league will be the benchmark and yardstick by which 'world class' players are judged. I know from big European nights that Fernando Torres is the genuine article, I know Lionel Messi lives up to the praise that comes out of Spain and I also know that I'm still left scratching my head as to why Ibrahimovic has acquired such a hefty reputation.

I don't know whether it's a problem for a fan of Serie A that maybe his seeming inability to cement his reputation in Europe reflects badly on Italy's top league, but, be honest, can we honestly say that he's proven himself on the biggest of stages? I am sure that he has talent, no doubt, but my point is this - despite the claims of people like Mourinho, he has never really proven himself to be in that top bracket of current players. The Messis, Gerrards, Ronaldos, Henrys and Torres' of the world. I'm actually surprised that anyone would question that. All those players live up to the hype.

the champions league will be the benchmark and yardstick by which 'world class' players are judged. I know from big European nights that Fernando Torres is the genuine article...

...and I also know that I'm still left scratching my head as to why Ibrahimovic has acquired such a hefty reputation.

Torres has still only had one good CL (last year when he scored 6 goals in 905 mins of football). Ibra scored 5 goals in 625 mins in the same season. His goals did mostly come against lesser opposition' date=' but it's hardly his fault Inter had to go defensive in the Liverpool game after a dodgy sending-off (then another less dodgy, but still controversial red in the 2nd leg), and got knocked out as a result. It's a bit difficult for Ibra to prove himself in the CL if Inter are out before the QFs most seasons.

Official UCL 2007-08 Top Scorers Chart

Torres is also constantly overshadowed by David Villa in the Spanish national team. Since Germany 2006 finished, he's scored just 4 goals in 12 competitive games for Spain (Villa has 16 in 18). That's pretty disappointing considering Spain are on fire at the moment. He hasn't even made up for it in assists (only 1 of those).

Ibra will probably never do anything massive on the International stage, because he doesn't have the luxury of playing for a top team. Shevchenko didn't either, but he was still one of the top 3 or 4 strikers in the world before joining Chelsea. Same with George Weah and Ivan Zamorano in the past, and Samuel Eto'o now.

So to say Torres has proven himself on the biggest stage would be a bit inaccurate (he has had the odd great game, but he's been nowhere near consistent - the same as Ibra). The only reason you and I know he's the genuine article is because we see him playing for Liverpool every week, and we see his quality as a result. It's exactly the same with Ibrahimovic. If you don't see him play every week, you won't see what the fuss is all about... but if you do watch him, you will.

Well, we can debate whether or not Torres has proven himself on the biggest stage. Fair enough. But the outcome of that discussion, either way, won't convince me that Ibrahimovic belongs in the top category of world class players. I don't think it'd be unfair to compare Ibrahimovic to Cantona. Eric is an icon and idol to most United fans, including me, but I'm still objective enough to accept that, despite his domestic prowess, for whatever reason he didn't actually go out a mirror his Premiership pedigree when faced with foreign opposition. We can debate the reasons for this but we can't pretend these players have shone as brightly as their reputations.

Torres has still only had one good CL (last year when he scored 6 goals in 905 mins of football). Ibra scored 5 goals in 625 mins in the same season. His goals did mostly come against lesser opposition' date=' but it's hardly his fault Inter had to go defensive in the Liverpool game after a dodgy sending-off (then another less dodgy, but still controversial red in the 2nd leg), and got knocked out as a result. It's a bit difficult for Ibra to prove himself in the CL if Inter are out before the QFs most seasons.[/quote']

torres never played in the CL prior to joining liverpool (i dont think he even played in the uefa cup prior to last season) and he has performed in big games and big moments (euro 2008 final, inter last-16 away, arsenal CL home, chelsea CL Semi, madrid game), whereas ibra hardly ever seems to do so, at least outside of italian competition.

and regarding the point about his teams being poor - in 02/03 whilst at ajax they went out to a last gasp goal at milan (they were going through on away goals), in 04/05 he missed a sitter at the delle alpi that would have sent juve through against liverpool (after being anonymous for the first leg), in 07/08 against liverpool he missed two guilt edged chances early in the second leg to get inter back into the tie and wednesday where he missed some good chances

Yeah the Cantona comparison is a fair one. The main point I was trying to make though, is just that if you don't watch a player regularly, it's extremely difficult to judge them. An Italian who only sees Torres in the odd game in the CL or for Spain could quite easily have the same opinion of him, as you have of Ibrahimovic.

Many world class players over the years haven't shone in Europe, but have still been among the very best in the game. Torres is undoubtedly one of the top strikers in the world (despite not being consistent in Europe yet, and underperforming for Spain), and in my opinion so is Ibrahimovic.

(In my opinion, Villa and Eto'o are the top 2, and just after that is a group of maybe 4-6 strikers - Ibra and Torres are both part of that group.)