Sign in to follow this  
-kepta - King of Grime.

Another new arrival on SM!

Hi guys,

I am new to soccer manager (well kind of - joined in Jan 09' but never joined the forum until I was flicking through some of your articles/guides and thought it was high time I joined the debate on the game we love). ;)

I am competing in an MLS league 6th/14 at present. I ve been enjoying the season, although I feel in some ways the odds of my club Real Salt Lake City winning major trophies are limited as I have tried to keep my signings relatively realistic compared to some of my big spending rivals.

For instance I have made 5 signings this season (all free agents): Dave Challinor (real club - Colwyn Bay, Wales), Jo Tessem (free-agent), Paul Peschisolido (assistant manager at club in Ireland), A.De Zeeuw (amateur club, Netherlands), Ronny gaspercic (free-agent).

Compare this to some of the 'galactico's' who have joined the MLS in the last 2 months - Crespo, Del Piero, Nedved, Maldini, Inzaghi, Palermo, Solari, Van Der Sar, Roberto Carlos, Giggs, Scholes, Hyypia, James - these would be tolerable as some of them might join MLS for one last 'Beckham-esque pay-off'. However younger players just would not join - Tim Cahill in the MLS? It just wouldn't happen. When I saw Mario Balotelli had signed from Inter Milan I thought my club are competing in a different game to some of my rivals. :rolleyes:

I am really enjoying the game but feel something needs to be done to make the transfer system more realistic. Players won't just join the MLS on mass from Europe and there must be a way of solving this issue. I understand everyone plays the game differently and people probably get a lot of pleasure seeing Julio Cruz at New York or whatever but I am waiting for the day when I face Lionel Messi/C.Ronaldo at the Rio Tinto Stadium because I suspect it may not be far off. :(

Anyway look forward to hearing some opinions on the existing transfer system (I would not be opposed to seeing MLS clubs getting high profile free agents e.g. Stephen Appiah, De La Cruz but just not Man U or Real Madrid regulars who in the real world would never consider these clubs).

If I am being ridiculous feel free to let me know! B)

Re: Another new arrival on SM!

Alright buddy welcome to the forum. any questions feel free to pm the members with blue names ( mods ) or anyone actuallty, we are all pretty nice :D

This question has be posed before. Yes it is unrealistic, but this is not a football management simulator, its is a game, SM have to balance, as i am sure you understand, Realism and Playability. If only the top teams in europe could sign big players smaller teams would not be managed and the % of small teams being managed at the moment isnt great. I do understand your point but i like the fact you can tranform a small club into a team of galaticos.

Take a notts forrest i have for example, i have like 20 90+ players through buying risers and managing my finances correctly, the opportunity to turn round a small team and make it great gives such a sense of satisfaction so to speak.

It is unrealistic to have messi , del piero in the MLS, but thats the whole playability argument :)

Also i think players will refuse to sign for clubs if they are rated loads higher than the average rating of your team :)

Welcome aboard!

One thing not mentioned yet is that you could/should consider getting a gold membership. The gold championship setups (GC's) are MUCH more realistic as there are a limited number of them & they contain a ton of clubs from around the world (like 400+ clubs -- in the newer setups there are live managers on 90% of these teams).

There are still some inherent issues that keep the game from being 100% realistic, but the GC's are about the closest thing you're going to find. I personally find them to be much more challenging & enjoyable than public setups.

For example, I manage lowly Kilmarnock in GC53. 26 games into the season & I'm sitting atop the SPL with a six point cushion over Rangers & Celtic. My team is solid & I've made some nice acquisitions, but I'm certainly not sporting a team stocked with world cup caliber players. To me, managing this club has been 100x more fun than any of the free-to-manage clubs I started with. It actually feels like I'm accomplishing something rather than just having the most money (cause I mostly certainly don't have that LOL).

Anyway, long post short...JOIN GC'S!!! Best 20 pounds you'll ever spend. Cheers!

Hi guys' date='

I am new to soccer manager (well kind of - joined in Jan 09' but never joined the forum until I was flicking through some of your articles/guides and thought it was high time I joined the debate on the game we love). ;)

I am competing in an MLS league 6th/14 at present. I ve been enjoying the season, although I feel in some ways the odds of my club Real Salt Lake City winning major trophies are limited as I have tried to keep my signings relatively realistic compared to some of my big spending rivals.

For instance I have made 5 signings this season (all free agents): Dave Challinor (real club - Colwyn Bay, Wales), Jo Tessem (free-agent), Paul Peschisolido (assistant manager at club in Ireland), A.De Zeeuw (amateur club, Netherlands), Ronny gaspercic (free-agent).

Compare this to some of the 'galactico's' who have joined the MLS in the last 2 months - Crespo, Del Piero, Nedved, Maldini, Inzaghi, Palermo, Solari, Van Der Sar, Roberto Carlos, Giggs, Scholes, Hyypia, James - these would be tolerable as some of them might join MLS for one last 'Beckham-esque pay-off'. However younger players just would not join - Tim Cahill in the MLS? It just wouldn't happen. When I saw Mario Balotelli had signed from Inter Milan I thought my club are competing in a different game to some of my rivals. :rolleyes:

I am really enjoying the game but feel something needs to be done to make the transfer system more realistic. Players won't just join the MLS on mass from Europe and there must be a way of solving this issue. I understand everyone plays the game differently and people probably get a lot of pleasure seeing Julio Cruz at New York or whatever but I am waiting for the day when I face Lionel Messi/C.Ronaldo at the Rio Tinto Stadium because I suspect it may not be far off. :(

Anyway look forward to hearing some opinions on the existing transfer system (I would not be opposed to seeing MLS clubs getting high profile free agents e.g. Stephen Appiah, De La Cruz but just not Man U or Real Madrid regulars who in the real world would never consider these clubs).

If I am being ridiculous feel free to let me know! B)[/quote']

i know what you are saying mate but if i was you id get the cheque book out and start buying some top players if you cant beat them join em lol

lol, I enjoy small clubs being able to buy big players..

Eitherway, The manager of the above 'small club' would have to know what he's doing with finances etc to get the player anyway..

Obviously it's unreal that the highly rated player would join a lower club irl, but also these lower clubs wouldn't have the finance available to the clubs in this game..

Take Manchester City (In real life) for example..

A few years ago, they were relatively unknown (No offence meant to any Man city fans :P)..

But now they're backed by an extremely rich guy..and can throw ridiculous amounts of money at players..and 'bang', they have Robinho, and were on the verge of signing Kaka... Its all about Finance :P

What i'm trying to say is, like Mr.Adamski... If you manage your finances extremely well in this game, you can do wonders.. (Which is also possible in real life.) Hence, me mentioning Man City :P

Devilz.

Hi guys' date='

Honestly thats the point. Rooney playing for Liverpool? Henry for Tottheham? Messi for Leeds? It would never happen in real life. (Liverpool can afford Rooney I know but Rooney hates Liverpool and would never play for them. After a nice career at Arsenal Henry wouldn't dare join Spurs.)

Cheers for these responses guys, pretty impressed how quick they've came - on loads of forums you wait daaayyzzzz for any response. B)

Definately thinking about Gold membership as mentioned - I think that would solve the problem as its these unmanaged clubs that allow the likes Balotelli/Cahill to leave for America. :D

Having read some of your responses its given me an odd sense of satisfaction that i ve spend just over 100k/have a 22 man squad and yet sit 6th in the league. MLS is odd because the top 4 have a play-off at the end of the campaign for the 'league trophy' so if (I know its unlikely) I can sneak into 4th i'd make the play-off and the chance to play for the league trophy.

As you can imagine I ve saved a fair bit of £££ this season so I review the situation at the end of the campaign and spend some serious wedge although in a way I quite enjoy being the underdog who the rest expect to beat week in, week out with there star name squads! B)

For now I can always pretend 13 Russian billionaires have bought all the MLS clubs except Real Salt Lake City.

Just rejected the vacant LA Galaxy job so clearly some of the other Chairman must think I am doing ok with my limited resoures!

Hi guys' date='

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I have a suggestion for you regarding your setup/game world troubles.

If you want you can purchase a Custom Game World for £10 (but actually you can get this free in a gold membership package deal). When you create your own custom game world you are able to set rules for the game world. These rules can limit the age of a player that may be transfered in or the overall rating of the player to be transfered in.

So for example you could recreate a league system similar to the MLS with the teams of your choice, but limit managers from buying players rated over 85. Therefore "forcing" managers to buy more sensibly, rather than buying superstars like Messi etc.

When you create said setup you can keep it private and only invite your friends, or alternatively you can open it up to the public. If you decide to make the setup public, and wish to drum up some interest in your more unique league challenge, you could post a topic on the setup/game world forum looking for interested people.

Hope this helps,

Enjoy!

Pete

Hello' date=' and welcome to the forum.

I have a suggestion for you regarding your setup/game world troubles.

If you want you can purchase a Custom Game World for £10 (but actually you can get this free in a gold membership package deal). When you create your own custom game world you are able to set rules for the game world. These rules can limit the age of a player that may be transfered in or the overall rating of the player to be transfered in.

So for example you could recreate a league system similar to the MLS with the teams of your choice, but limit managers from buying players rated over 85. Therefore "forcing" managers to buy more sensibly, rather than buying superstars like Messi etc.

When you create said setup you can keep it private and only invite your friends, or alternatively you can open it up to the public. If you decide to make the setup public, and wish to drum up some interest in your more unique league challenge, you could post a topic on the setup/game world forum looking for interested people.

Hope this helps,

Enjoy!

Pete[/quote']

Just seen david bentley arrive today for £12m. Definately considering your suggestion although I am still mid-table and are enjoying the challenge of competing with more limited resources. :)

Welcome from one new guy to another :)

I can understand where you are coming from with your points but how I see it is that Soccer Manager is a football manager game rather than a football manager simulation. I pretty much like the overall concept of this site. Soccer Manager offers something a little different to other types of football manager games. For me personally I think that is a good thing.

With Regards Keeping Up With Your Rivals With Much Bigger Income, Yes It Tough & TBH You Need To be An Exsperienced Manager or Know Hoiw The Game Operates To keep Up & Get The Best Buys.

Im Adalaide In Oz League & Drogheda United In Irish League, My Competitors Have Far Bigger Budgets To Work With & Much More Income.

It's a Right Challange For Even A Long Term SM'R Like Myself

In Oz League With Adelaide, It's Taken Me 6 Seasons TO Asemble Any Sort of Decent Team On Paper, These 6 Seasons Have Been Successfull Aswell Which In Its Self Has Given me unexpected Income.

2 of The other 7 Teams have At least Over double My Capacity, While 2 teams have 4 times my capacity, Another has 10,000+ capacity on me.

It Would take At least this ammount of time for any manager to compete with the likes of Melb/Syd - NY/NE

Only way this is possible is to use the player ratings threads on the forum to buy cheap players and then sell them on after they rise, & do this smartly & then buy smart aswell..

Hi guys' date='

Another newbie hehe. Welcome to SoccerManager.com! Enjoy the SM experience and get involved...