Jump to content

Irish league guide results fixtures and talents!

Recommended Posts

the irish league started back last week here are the statistics

finn haps 1-0 longford town

Paul Hegarty's youthful Finn Harps outfit collected their first win of the season as they beat nine-man Longford Town at Finn Park on Saturday night in a contest that really sprung to life in the final 16 minutes.

Harps captain Conor Gethins blasted in a 74th minute penalty as the Midlanders had Stephen Gough sent-off and two minutes later the visitors were down to nine after Liam Lynch was given a straight red for a challenge on Michael Funston.

Longford survived an early goalmouth scramble following a corner while at the other end Jason McCartney and Liam Lynch both had decent efforts not far off target.

But defences were very much to the fore as the half progressed and neither goalkeeper was seriously tested until the 36th minute when Christy Conaghan dispossessed Gary Curran and shot only to see Brendan Murphy concentrating well to make the necessary stop.

Just before the break Gavin Cullen got a slight scare as he watched a speculative Derek Glynn effort veer to the right of the target.

Harps pushed the throttle up a notch after the break and began to create more as they enjoyed greater territorial advantage.

Indeed, two minutes into the second half Michael Funston did the spadework on the left side of the box before finding Gethins in a prime position unmarked - but he blazed over.

On 68 minutes Harps went close again with a thundering 25-yard effort from Shaun McGowan that whizzed over the crossbar.

Harps went ahead six minutes later when Gethins found Conaghan whose initial shot was blocked but the midfielder was them illegally impeded by Stephen Gough who was given his marching orders. Gethins made no mistake from the spot with a thumping penalty.

And when Longford then had Lynch sent for an early shower for lashing out at Michael Funston, there was only going to be one winner.

Harps piled on the pressure in the closing stages, and really should have put the game to bed. Twice Gethins went close while in between Johnny Havlin fired wide when it looked easier to score.

Longford had two late penalty claims turned down, proving it wasn't to be their night.

Finn Harps: G Cullen, I Rossiter (Brolly, 57 mins), K Coll, J Havlin, M Mukendi, S McGowan, C Conaghan, R Harkin, D McDaid, C Gethins, M Funston (Forker, 90).

Longford Town: B Murphy, R Kenny, S Gough, J Sheridan, T King, D Concannon (Hoare, 79 mins), C Rousso, G Curran (Murtagh, 90), L Lynch, D Glynn, J McCartney.

Referee: Brendan Kelly (Offaly).

athlone town 3-1 kildare county

Athlone Town went top of the league of Ireland First Division table with a well deserved 3-1 victory over Kildare County.

Kildare went ahead against the run of play in the 40th minute when Paddy Mahon headed the ball home.

Athlone equalised four minutes later when a long ball was knocked on to Emeke Omwubiko, who slotted home under the advancing Colin Cassidy.

Omwubiko scored his second in the 56th minute when he rose highest to head home a Hayes cross and Noel McGee slotted home from a tight angle with 11 minutes to go.

shamrock rovers 2-1 sligo rovers

Shamrock Rovers celebrated their return to south Dublin with a 2-1 victory over Sligo Rovers at a wild and wintry Tallaght Stadium, writes Shane Murray.

Gary Twigg gave the hosts the lead when he turned and volleyed home from close range in the 18th minute.

The Hoops doubled their lead two minutes after the break when Ollie Cahill's superb run and cross down the left was turned home by Dessie Baker. Gavin Peers headed home late-on for the visitors, but the hosts were not to be denied in front of 3,500 revellers on a historic night for the club.

It looked like the vocal home support wouldn't have to wait long for the first goal in their new home as the Hoops started brightly and they broke through in the second minute. Shane Robinson picked the ball up in midfield and ran at the Sligo defence, before playing in Twigg, but he was ruled correctly offside after drilling the ball past Brush.

The home side, visibly buoyed by the large and colourful throngs in the impressive 3,500-seater stand, continued to impress in the early stages, and a dangerous ball in from right-back Simon Madden was just about cleared by the visitors.

Things settled down a little after that, and it was the 13th minute when Bradley turned superbly to get away from left-back Shaun Holmes, but his cross-come-shot fell straight into the arms of Sligo goalkeeper Richard Brush.

The first yellow card of the evening was produced in the 17th minute, when Sligo's Richie Ryan was cautioned by referee Alan Kelly for a foul on Bradley.

Bradley's subsequent free from the right was flicked on by Robinson for Stephen Rice and his header fell for Twigg, who turned and volleyed home from the left edge of the six-yard box.

The Bit o'Red's goal continued to lead a charmed life and a Rice header from a corner bounced narrowly over as Michael O'Neill's men pressed for a second.

Sligo midfielder Conor O'Grady was the second name in Kelly's book for a foul on Rice in the 22nd minute, and Sean Webb's header flashed wide from the resulting free.

The Hoops had a second goal deservedly ruled out when Twigg's finish was ruled out for a push on a Sligo defender in the 26th minute. .

The hosts threatened again in the 33rd minute but Bradley's central free from 30 yards out was excellently tipped over by Brush.

Paul Cook's men, who offered little going forward for most of the opening period, finally got into the game as the half drew to a close.

They earned their first corner of the game in the 38th minute following good probing from Boco, but it came to nothing as Murphy gathered under his crossbar.

Holmes did well to cut in from the left and square for Ryan two minutes later, but his shot from the edge of the box came back off Cretaro, who was loitering in an advanced position, and Shamrock Rovers cleared.

The home defence endured another nervous moment when Morrison's 42nd-minute free was whipped in from the left, only narrowly evading the heads of three Sligo players at the back post.

Sligo continued to press for an equaliser, with Morrison particularly prominent on the left, but his tendency to cut back onto his right foot, took some of the urgency out of the attacks he inspired.

In fact, the visitors produced the best move of the half just before the break, which culminated with Morrison's clever flick finding Cretaro and his shot was deflected behind for a corner.

However, the home side deservedly led 1-0 at the interval, but they emerged after the break intent on adding to their solitary first half goal.

Two minutes in, Robinson, who was at the heart of everything good for the Hoops, cut in from the right and drilled a shot which was palmed away superbly by Brush.

The Dubliners did double their lead four minutes later when Baker side-footed home from eight yards after Cahill's superb run and cross down the left.

Cook had seen enough and introduced Stephen Parkhouse and Eoin Torpey for the largely anonymous Brian Cash and the ineffectual Ryan.

That prompted a response from the visitors, and Webb had to react brilliantly to deny Cretaro running through on goal in the 61st minute.

A header back to Brush from Danny Ventre almost let Twigg in for his second of the night, but the Sligo 'keeper read the situation to gather.

Cretaro should have opened the account for the visitors when he stole in at the back post in the 73rd minute with Ian Bermingham caught napping, but the grateful Murphy mopped up his weak header.

Two minutes later Robinson tried his luck with another driven shot from 35 yards but Brush smothered comfortably.

Sligo did pull one back when Peers headed home unchallenged from close range following Shaun Holmes' left-wing cross in the 83rd minute to give the 150-strong travelling fans hope going into the final few minutes.

Substitute Torpey, who did well in the centre of midfield after his introduction, struck over two minutes later for the visitors as they pushed for an equaliser.

However, the lively Twigg went close with a speculative curler four minutes from time, before he left the field to a standing ovation with a minute to go.

That was the last significant action on an evening when Shamrock Rovers finally brought an end to 22 nomadic years, an occasion which was marked by as much nostalgia as colour as a host of former greats were to be spotted dotted around the impressive all-seater stand.

Shamrock Rovers: 1Barry Murphy, 2 Simon Madden, 3 Ian Bermingham, 5 Aidan Price, 6 Sean Webb [yc 49], 7 Shane Robinson (capt), 8 Stephen Rice [41 yc], 9 Gary Twigg (17 Greg Cameron 89 mins), 10 Stephen Bradley (19 Eoin Doyle 82 mins [yc 89]), 14 Ollie Cahill, 18 Dessie Baker (22 Tadhg Purcell 74 mins). Substitutes not used: 15 Corie Treacy, 16 Robert Duggan.

Sligo Rovers: 1 Richard Brush, 2 Jason Noctor (12 Paul McTiernan 79 mins), 3 Shaun Holmes, 4 Danny Ventre, 5 Gavin Peers, 6 Conor O'Grady [23 yc], 7 Brian Cash (14 Stephen Parkhouse 57 mins), 8 Richie Ryan [17] (15 Eoin Torpey 57 mins), 9 Romuald Boco, 10 Rafael Cretaro, 11 Owen Morrison. Substitutes not used: 13 Steve Feeney, 17 Ciaran Kelly.

Referee: Alan Kelly.

bohemians 1-1 derry city

Bohemians raised the league championship flag before kick-off but could not break down a resolute Derry City at Dalymount Park tonight.

The Candystripes beat Pat Fenlon's side on their last visit to Phibsboro - the day Bohs were presented with the trophy - and are many people's outside bets for a title crack themselves.

City showed with their display in the thrilling FAI Ford Cup Final that they can match the Gypsies but this tie had little of that afternoon's excitement.

Stephen Kenny's side got off to an excellent start when Thomas Stewart put them in front after eight minutes but Killian Brennan equalised just seven minutes later with a stunning free-kick.

Bohs made one change from the side that beat Dundalk first time out with Gary Deegan replacing the injured Glen Cronin.

Derry brought in Mark McChrystal into their defence as Clive Delaney was suspended while Liam Kearney made his debut on the left in place of the injured Sammy Morrow with Tom Stewart moving into attack.

Joseph Ndo was the first to test either keeper with an inventive attempt from wide on the left in the seventh minute but Derry 'keeper Ger Doherty dealt with the situation by palming away the well-struck effort.

From their very next attack Derry took the lead as Stewart found the bottom right corner of the Bohs net with a blistering strike from the edge of the box after good work by Gareth McGlynn.

Bohs responded positively to the set-back and had a penalty appeal waved away in the tenth minute when Peter Hutton appeared to handle under pressure from Deegan.

The Gypsies were level by the 15th minute. Killian Brennan was taken down 25 yards from the Derry goal then stepped up to produce a stunning curled free-kick that found the net via Doherty's left upright.

Brennan's free-kicks were a trademark of his season last year and this finish was as good as any he produced in 2008.

The home side came close from another dead-ball situation in the 26th minute when Paul Keegan's low free-kick was whipped in to Neale Fenn and he had one strike blocked by Stewart then another by McChrystal.

Glen Crowe was unfortunate not to put Bohs ahead in the 59th minute when he got onto a long punt by keeper Brian Murphy but his lobbed effort landed on the roof of the Candystripes net.

Less than a minute later Mark Farren got on the end of a Ruaidhri Higgins through ball but his poked effort clipped off the on-coming Bohs keeper and trickled narrowly wide.

Crowe was then denied by Doherty in the 66th minute when he got behind the City defence and his low strike was batted away by the Derry custodian.

The two sides cancelled each other out from there on in and a draw was a fair result. Next up for Bohs is a home clash with Shamrock Rovers while Derry host Cork City.

Bohemians: B Murphy; A Murphy, Heary, McGuiness, Rossiter (Oman 28), Ndo, Keegan, Deegan, Brennan (Carey 68), Crowe, Fenn (J Byrne 85). Subs - Gregg, Powell.

Derry City: Doherty; O'Brien, Hutton, McChrystal, Gray, McGlynn, Molloy, Higgins (Martyn 80), Kearney (McClean 87), Farren (McCallion 92), Stewart. Subs - Jennings, Scullion.

Referee: I Stokes (Dublin).

cork city 0-1 st patricks athletic

A goal from former Cork City player Darragh Ryan - who was released by the club at the end of last season - was enough to see his new side St Patrick's Athletic pick up their first win of the season at a wet Turners Cross.

Cork's opening game of the campaign saw the kick-off delayed by ten minutes due to crowd congestion at the turnstiles as the 3,500 crowd came to see manager Paul Doolin give five league debuts to new players.

The visitors welcomed back David Partridge and Jamie Harris to the side after serving suspensions, as they hoped to bounce back from last week's 3-0 home setback to Galway at Inchicore.

Cork made one change to their starting eleven after they

opened the season with a draw in Sligo, as they brought

Latvian signing Guntars Silagailis into their attack with

Denis Behan on the substitutes bench.

But it was Jeff Kenna's side who took a 10th minute lead

after the home side conceded a soft corner-kick through

captain Dan Murray.

Alan Cawley's flag kick picked out former Cork defender Darragh Ryan on the edge of the penalty area and he drilled a low shot through a packed penalty area and beyond goalkeeper Dan Connor.

Cork had more of the ball in the first half but they failed to breakdown a strong St Patrick's rear guard where centre-backs Jamie

Harris and David Patridge were very strong in aerial combat.

The visitors almost stretched their lead seconds after the

break. Goalkeeper Connor saved from Mark Leech on the edge of the penalty area, the ball broke to Pat's Latvian player Gints Friemanis

but his shot failed to hit the target.

City tried hard to get back into the game, but the Dubliners were always dangerous on the break and a shot from Damien Lynch tested the Cork netminder after 70 minutes.

The Leesiders lack of penetration in front of goal

against the well organised visitors saw the three points

head to Inchicore.

CORK CITY: Connor;Horgan,Murray,Mezeckis,Murphy;Sullivan,Gamble,Healy,Dennehy;

Kuduzovic(Behan 72),Silagailis.

Subs; Lordan,O'Neill,O'Halloran,McNulty.

ST PATRICK'S ATHLETIC: Rogers;Gavin,Harris,Partridge,Stevens;Ryan,Cawley,Lynch,

Friemanis(O'Connor 65);Leech(Lester 81),Moran(Haran 88).


Referee: Derek Tomney(Dublin).

drogheda united 0-0 bray wanderers

Drogheda United and Bray Wanderers both paid the price for poor finishing as their clash at United Park ended all square.

And a draw was about the right result, after the Boynesiders enjoyed the better of the first-half exchanges but found themselves under pressure in the second.

These sides are tipped by many to be fighting a battle against relegation this season, but Drogheda dominated the early exchanges and ought to have made their pressure count with a goal.

James Chambers blasted a 25-yard free-kick into Bray's defensive wall in the ninth minute, and the home side's claims for a penalty were waved away when John Paul Kelly went down following an innocuous-looking challenge by Dane Massey.

Then Kelly tested the Seagulls' keeper Chris O'Connor with a curling free kick, and a snap shot from Robbie Martin, Drogheda's sole striker, was similarly saved.

The visitors, who were playing into a stiff wind accompanied by intermittent rain, did not manage a single attempt at the Drogheda goal in the first 45 minutes, although their former player Gavin Whelan made a crucial block on Paul Byrne as the striker prepared to shoot in the 33rd minute.

Whatever Eddie Gormley said in the away dressing room at half time had an immediate impact, though, as Drogheda were pinned back in the opening stages of the second period. Dave Mulcahy's long-range shot flew narrowly wide and then centre-half Derek Foran somehow headed Dane Massey's corner over from inside the six-yard box.

Almost immediately, Drogheda created their best chance when substitute Robbie Farrell put Kelly clean through on goal, but the former Bohs player's attempted chip failed to trouble O'Connor who plucked the ball out of the air with ease.

But Steve Williams in the Drogheda goal produced a fine reaction save to deny Gary McCabe following a fine individual run from the young winger, and in the 89th minute Bray sub Chris Shields shot against the crossbar as the visitors finished on top.

But in the fourth minute of stoppage time Drogheda almost nicked it as Paul Shiels' just failed to get a touch to Chambers' free kick.

DROGHEDA UNITED: Williams, Whelan, McNally, Kenna, R Clarke, Kelly, Chambers, Shiels, Duggan, O'Connor, Martin. Subs: Farrell for Martin (46min), Duffy for O'Connor (67min).

BRAY WANDERERS: O'Connor, Pender, Deans, Foran, Massey, Coughlan, Mulcahy, Doyle, McCabe, Kavanagh, Byrne. Subs: Forsyth for Byrne (67min), Shields for Coughlan (67min), Webster for Doyle (87min).

Referee: Tommy Connolly (Dublin).

galway united 1-0 dundalk

Gary Breen bagged an 82nd minute as Galway United made it two wins on the trot at Terryland Park.

Jay O'Shea's free-kick was glanced on in a packed area by Sean Kelly, and Breen lashed Galway ahead.

For the past two seasons Galway have failed to win at home until the autumn, and new manager Ian Foster has targeted improving his team's Terryland Park form.

And fresh from a stirring success in Inchicore when St Patrick's Athletic were humbled Galway had ample reason to be confident.

But Sean Connor's excellent seven match unbeaten record as a manager with Sligo Rovers and Bohemians against Galway was worthy of respect.

Having watched their players produce competent displays on the first night of the season managers Ian Foster and Connor resisted the temptation to tinker as both named the same starting XI's.

Early on Dundalk probed for openings with Chris Turner anchoring the midfield impressively, while George O'Callaghan floated around the pitch eager to clip passes.

Galway were finding it difficult to locate time and space in the centre with Turner all bustling aggression and honest workrate.

Still for all Dundalk's industry they didn't threaten Barry Ryan in the first half hour as a long-range Turner free-kick on 23 minutes whistled wide.

Despite failing to match the excellence of their Pat's performance Galway nearly claimed the lead on the stroke of half-time, but Cian McBrien's shot was saved by Chris Bennion.

After the restart Galway enjoyed a purposeful spell and Vinny Faherty's 54th minute header hit the crossbar.

Dundalk were reduced to 10 men in the 73rd minute when Simon Kelly was sent off for a second caution after hauling down Derek O'Brien, and then Breen landed the knock out blow.

Galway United: Ryan; Conneely, Breen, Guthrie, Daveron; O'Shea, McBrien (Edwards, 76), Kelly, McGrath, O'Brien; Faherty (Murphy, 86).

Dundalk: Bennion; Simon Kelly, Burns, Heary, Rogers; Shaun Kelly (Mulvenna, 46, McGinley, 76), Daly, Turner, Singh; O'Callaghan; O'Brien (Mansaram, 46).

Referee: M Gough (Limerick).

sligo rovers 1-1 cork city

Two goals in the last five minutes saw Sligo Rovers and Cork City share the spoils in their opening Premier Division game at The Showgrounds.

Cork thought they had won it when Billy Dennehy fired home the opener on 86 minutes, after Pat Sullivan capitalised on some sloppy Rovers defence.

But new signing Stephen Parkhouse earned a deserved point for the home side, when he controlled Romuald Boco's cross in the box and fired to the net on 89 minutes.

Cork boss Paul Doolin had the luxury of a full squad for his first game in charge, and gave debuts to keeper Dan Connor, former Sligo striker Fahrudin Kuduzovic, Billy Dennehy and Latvian centre-back Roberts Mezeckis.

Rovers were without injured defenders Mauro Almeida and Chris Butler, but handed first starts to Shaun Holmes, Alan Keane and Owen Morrison.

Cork looked lively in the opening stages, with Sullivan finding space on the right, and Danny Murphy pressing forward on the left.

Murphy saw a decent shot skid across the face of goal, before Sullivan's superb ball over the top set Denis Behan loose on 11 minutes, but his tame shot was saved by Richard Brush.

Rovers settled into the game after this, and were the better team for the next 10 minutes. They had a strong penalty shout on 23 minutes, when Sean Doherty's cross appeared to be handled in the area by Neal Horgan.

Referee Richie Winter waved play on, however, though Morrison nearly capitalised with a curling right-foot shot that just missed the far post.

Rovers left-back Holmes also began to get to grips with Sullivan, and nearly scored himself with a brilliant 30-yard effort that flashed the wrong side of the post.

They did put the ball into the net on 38 minutes, when Boco's cross from the right was met by a powerful Conor O'Grady shot that Connor did brilliant to stop, but couldn't hold.

Raffaele Cretaro pounced on the rebound, but an offside flag spoiled his celebrations.

The visitors again were the brighter team for the opening of the second half, with Sullivan's cross causing problems for Brush, and Gavin Peers having to clear Dan Murray's snapshot off the line.

But Rovers had an equally good chance at the other end a minute later, when a right-foot cross from Holmes found Cretaro unmarked at the backpost, but the striker's first-time volley flew wide.

Chances were at a premium after this, as Murphy of Cork and Cretaro of Rovers were booked within a minute of each other for rash tackles.

Strikers Parkhouse of Sligo and Guntars Silagailis of Cork both came on for the last 10 minutes, but it was Dennehy that finally found the breakthrough, curling a low shot into the corner.

But just as Rovers contemplated defeat, Parkhouse scored his first goal for the club with a composed finish to force a draw.

Sligo Rovers: R Brush, A Keane (S Feeney 89), G Peers, D Ventre, S Holmes, O Morrison (S Parkhouse 75), C O'Grady (captain), R Ryan, S Doherty (B Cash 64), R Boco, R Cretaro.

Subs not used: C Kelly, J Noctor.

Cork City: D Connor, N Horgan, R Mezeckis, D Murray (captain), D Murphy, P Sullivan, C Healy, J Gamble, B Dennehy, F Kuduzovic (S O'Donnell 66 (O'Halloran 87)), Behan (G Silagailis 78).

Subs not used: M McNulty, D O'Neill.

Referee: R Winter.

waterford united 1-1 sporting fingal

A dramatic finale saw Waterford United and League of Ireland First Division favourites Sporting Fingal share the spoils at the RSC tonight.

Fingal's Eamon Zayed spurned the only real chance a quiet first half, somehow turning Alan Kirby's cross wide of the far post, but deep into the second half the game exploded into life as the home side took the lead.

A deep throw-in was worked out to the inrushing Gary Dunphy, who crashed home a spectacular drive from 25 yards in the 88th minute.

The reply was instant, as moments later Philip Byrne took advantage of slack marking in the Blues box to head home his namesake Conan's corner-kick from eight yards out.

And almost as quickly at the other end, Dunphy nearly pulled off a carbon copy of his previous effort, but Darren Quigley produced a superb save, and so it finished all-square, no more than the visitors deserved

kildare county 1-1 finn harps

David McDaid was the hero for Finn Harps as his late goal was enough to pick up a share of the spoils in this League of Ireland First Division encounter at Station Road on Saturday night.

McDaid pounced on a cross from Christy Conaghan for a deserved Harps equaliser on 83 minutes, just when it looked like they would be returning to Donegal with an opening day defeat.

Kildare broke the deadlock against the run of play in the 48th minute when David O'Riordan's shot from distance took a slight deflection and flew over the head of Gavin Cullen.

It was very much a new look Finn Harps team that took to the field in Newbridge this evening as Paul Hegarty's side returned to life in the First Division after last year's lone season in the top flight.

Both clubs had youthful sides on show, Hegarty giving debuts to McDaid, Kieran Coll, Johnny Havlin and Ruairi Harkin, while Ian Rossiter was a returning debutant having already played for the club four years ago.

The game started in dreadful conditions, but in fairness both teams tried to play football. The opening exchanges saw two nervous sides cancel each other out before Harps started to take control.

Conor Gethins had two snapshots at goal that failed to trouble County 'keeper Colin Cassidy, while Michael Funston should have done better after been put through by Gethins on the half-hour.

McDaid had the best chance to open the scoring for the visitors five minutes before the break. Good work by Ruairi Harkin in the middle of the pitch saw the Derry City loanee release Gethins who played McDaid through, but the former Sligo Rovers man could only watch as his shot hit the post.

McDaid had another chance just a minute later, but his shot was smothered after Ian Rossiter supplied the cross.

Shaun McGowan headed over after a Harkin free-kick just before the half-time whistle as Harps finished the opening period strongest.

However, Kildare broke the deadlock against the run of play three minutes after the restart.

The Harps defence stood off the inrushing O'Riordan, and the County striker's shot from long range flew over the head of Gavin Cullen into the roof of the net after picking up a slight deflection on the way.

Harps almost drew level immediately, but McGowan's shot was parried onto the crossbar by Cassidy in the home side's goal.

It looked like O'Riordan's goal would be enough to give the hosts an opening day victory, but that was before McDaid's debut goal seven minutes from time. Christy Conaghan did great work to win the ball before crossing for McDaid to shoot past Cassidy.

The same player almost won the game for Harps a minute later, but his shot at the second attempt was well blocked by the County defence.

While Harps had the better chances towards the end, none were really clear cut. County almost stole what would have been an undeserved winner after a mix-up between Coll and Mukendi in the Harps defence saw Brady in the clear, but his shot drifted across the face of the goal.

Kildare County: Colin Cassidy, Matt Byrne, Baba Issaka, Ken Mahoney, Stephen Burke, Rory Browne, Cathal Brady, Colin Osbourne, Patrick Mahon, David O'Riordan, Paul Rigney. Subs: Pat Dobbs (for O'Riordan), Kevin McDonell (for Byrne), Stephen Dunne (for Browne).

Subs not used: Colin Murray and Leslie Kelly.

Finn Harps: Gavin Cullen, Ian Rossiter, Kieran Coll, Johnny Havlin, Marc Mukendi, Shaun McGowan, Christy Conaghan, Ruairi Harkin, David McDaid, Conor Gethins, Michael Funston. Sub: Marc Brolly (for Havlin), Mark Forker (for Funston).

Subs not used: Patrick Bonner, Sean Houston and Ciaran Gallagher.

st patricks athletic 0-3 galway united

Galway United stunned St Patrick's Athletic with a polished performance at Richmond Park writes Mark Cummins.

Pat's gave league debuts to seven of their close-season signings, but the side didn't gel at all, and Galway deservedly took advantage and went back west with the points.

Former Pat's midfielder Derek O'Brien netted the first on 17 minutes when he got a foot on the end of a Jay O'Shea free-kick.

O'Brien put Vinny Faherty through for the second on 49 minutes and then secured the win on 52 with his second of the night, a fantastic, powerful drive that gave Gary Rogers in the Pat's goal no chance.

There was a fairly entertaining opening to the game with both sides seeing plenty of the ball. As the action developed, the visitors appeared to take the upper hand, and it was no surprise when they took the lead on 17 minutes.

This came about when O'Brien pounced on an O'Shea free-kick from the left and shot past Rogers and into the bottom right corner of the Inchicore-end goal. Garry Breen went close to making it two, minutes later but sent his powerful header into the side netting.

Pat's then enjoyed a period of sustained pressure which included several excellent crosses into the box from the right wing from Darragh Ryan. However, Ian Foster's Galway defence was well organised and dealt well with the threat. Damian Lynch had a chance for Pat's on 40 minutes when he broke free on the right but blasted his shot high over Barry Ryan's crossbar.

Pat's boss Jeff Kenna made changes for the second half, bringing on Ryan Guy and Kyle Moran but it was to no avail and two further goals for Galway inside the first seven minutes of the second half secured the points.

Firstly, on 49 minutes, O'Brien found Faherty with a neat pass to the left of the area and the former Salthill Devon man made no mistake with his shot past Rogers. O'Brien then stunned Pat's with a third goal for the Tribesmen on 52 minutes. It was a truly magnificent strike that gave Rogers no chance whatsoever.

Former Pat's netminder Barry Ryan made his competitive debut for

Galway and had a fairly quite night. He was first called into serious action on the hour mark to deny Moran after Guy's initial shot was blocked by the defence and then made a fine save from Mark Leech on 61. Pat's pushed on but never looked like getting anything from the game.

St Pat's: Rogers, Lynch, Gavin, Haverty, Ryan, O'Connor, Lester,

Cawley, Friemanis (Guy h/t), Leech, Haran (Moran h/t).

Galway United: Ryan, Conneely, McBrien (Murphy 81), Guthrie, O'Shea, Faherty (Edwards 70), O'Brien (Sinnott 90), Kelly, McGrath, Davoren.

Referee: A Kelly (Cork).

dundalk 0-1 bohemians

A Joseph Ndo header earned Bohemians three hard-earned points over newly-promoted Dundalk in a pulsating game at Oriel Park.

The big striker rose powerfully in the 71st minute to give Pat Fenlon's champions a winning start, despite being second best for much of the affair.

Sean Connor's side started on the front foot and went closest to opening the scoring midway through the half when Michael Daly's header hit the angle of crossbar and post.

George O'Callaghan, playing in a more central role just off Declan O'Brien, also had a free-kick from 20-yards blocked by the Bohemians wall after he was fouled by Owen Heary.

Pat Fenlon's men finished the half strongly with Anto Murphy steering Cronin's cross into Chris Bennion's mid-riff from close range. Cronin then tested the Dundalk goalkeeper with a header from 12-yards after perfectly timing his run to meet Ndo's fabulous cross from the right. Mark Rossiter then showed good strength to hold off Shaun Kelly to get a low shot away as Dundalk nervously waited for the half-time whistle.

Brennan had the first effort of the second half when he lifted a free-kick harmlessly over the bar before O'Callaghan just failed to get on the end of Dave Rogers' fine cross at the other end.

Oriel Park was stunned into silence four minutes later when the champions took the lead. Owen Heary picked up possession just inside his own half and was allowed time and space to pick out Joseph Ndo with a raking pass. The powerful attacker did brilliantly to get above two defenders to power a header into the net.

Ndo almost made it two but for Simon Kelly's clearance off the line, before Connor was sent to the stands for protesting with officials late on.

Dundalk: Chris Bennion; Shaun Kelly, Thomas Heary, Liam Burns, Dave Rogers; Simon Kelly, Chris Turner, Michael Daly, Harpal Singh; George O'Callaghan, Declan O'Brien (Tiarnan Mulvenna 80).

Bohemians: Brian Murphy; Owen Heary, Jason McGuiness, Glen Cronin (Graham Carey 78), Mark Rossiter; Anto Murphy, Joseph Ndo, Paul Keegan, Killian Brennan; Glen Crowe (Gary Deegan 60), Neale Fenn.

Referee: Dave McKeown

bray wanderers 0-0 shamrock rovers

The spoils were shared at the Carlisle Grounds as Michael O'Neill's League of Ireland debut saw Rovers settle for a point.

Chris O'Connor excelled for Bray with a string of saves, while Rovers' Paul Byrne was denied by the woodwork.

The first opportunity went the way of the Seagulls in the sixth minute.

Daire Doyle's hooked long ball form his own half was chased down by Paddy Kavanagh.

The Republic of Ireland U23 International skipped in from the left past Sean Webb, but was closed down ten yards out, with the blocked ball falling into Barry Murphy's arms.

The Dubliners nearly took a brilliant lead in the 14th minute, with former Irish U19 defender Foran off the field receiving treatment to a blood injury when Stephen Bradley's corner was cleared.

But Ollie Cahill let fly from the loose ball 30-yards out.

It was heading towards the top corner only for Chris O'Connor to pull off a wonderful fingertip save.

In front of a great crowd of over 3,000, Wanderers went agonisingly close to breaking the dead-lock on the stroke of half time.

Chris Dean's header off Dane Massey's in-swinging free-kick from the right wing was hacked clear.

From Massey's resulting throw-in from the left channel, Doyle headed on, and Paul Byrne nipped in and hit a close range flick with the outside of his right boot that struck the far post.

The second period was just 90 seconds old when the Hoops almost caught Wanderers napping.

A quickly taken free sent Bradley free, but the former Arsenal trainee blazed wide when well placed.

Bray went close again in the 56th minute. Futsal international Massey sent over a deep corner that Foran met, and the covering Bradley cleared off the line at the back post.

Rovers had another chance eight minutes later. Bradley's measured pass sent Shane Robinson scampering through. But his attempted lob from outside the box was excellently clawed out by Australian Olympian O'Connor.

The custodian thwarted Robinson again in the second minute of stoppage time, pushing out the midfielder's drive from the edge of the box.

Bray Wanderers: Chris O'Connor; Pender, Deans, Foran (Webster 90 mins), Massey; Coughlan, Daire Doyle, Mulcahy, McCabe (Mulroy 79mins); Kavanagh, Byrne (Forsyth 86 mins).

Shamrock Rovers: Murphy; Madden, Webb, Price, Bermingham;

Bradley (Sean O'Connor 73 mins), Robinson, Rice, Cahill; Twigg

(Purcell 75 mins), Baker (Eoin Doyle 84 mins).

Referee: Anthony Buttimer (Cork).

derry city 1-0 drogheda united

Derry's Mark Farren really should have bagged a hat-trick, but the striker had to settle for an 8th minute goal which proved enough to see of Drogheda United.

Having given Derry the perfect start, Farren missed a series of gilt-edged opportunities as Stephen Kenny's men dominated the ball for long periods.

Drogheda's tactic of flooding the midfield area with a 4-5-1 formation seemed to frustrate the Candystripes as the game progressed, but even still, this match should have been over as a contest by the end of the first half.

Farren's opening strike got his side off to the perfect start after just eight minutes, Sammy Morrow producing an incisive through ball which saw the striker side-step keeper Steve Williams before gleefully rolling the ball into the net from 12 yards.

And Derry went so close to scoring again, but Williams got down well to parry a low Farren shot wide of his upright in the 15th minute.

In the 36th minute Farren once more failed to punish Drogheda when Thomas Stewart broke on the left and fired in a low cross which saw the striker get his legs into a tangle when it looked easier to score from close range.

Derry continued to dominate, but failed to seriously threaten the Drogheda goal until the 61st minute, when a Stewart snapshot forced Williams into a top drawer save, the keeper pushing the effort over his crossbar.

And in the 72nd minute Derry created another superb chance when Stewart was sent clear by a long Clive Delaney ball, but when he found Farren, the striker lashed the ball high over the crossbar when he should have done better.

Five minutes later a speculative cross from the right by Gareth McGlynn had Williams back-peddling, and when the ball crashed off the upright and broke to Farren, the striker again drove it over the bar.

The home side continued to pile on the pressure, and while Drogheda did create the odd threatening moment during the latter stages, Derry's talisman, Peter Hutton, spared his side's blushes on more than one occasion.

Derry City: Doherty; O'Brien, Hutton, Delaney, Gray; McGlynn, Molloy, Higgins, Stewart; Morrow, Farren (Scullion, 85).

Drogheda United: Williams; M. Clarke, Kenna, McNally, R. Clarke (Farrell, 80); Duffy, Whelan, Shiels, Duggan, Kelly (O'Connor, 62.; Martin.

Referee: Mr D Hancock (Dublin)

ucd 2-1 limerick

New signings from Shamrock Rovers Ciaran Kilduff and Chris Mulhall sent new-look UCD top of the First Division with a deserved 2-1 win over Limerick at the UCD Bowl.

After shading the first half, Kilduff put UCD 1-0 up in the 62nd minute when he turned and slotted home unmarked from six yards as Limerick looked for an offside.

Mulhall made it 2-0 15 minutes later when he broke into the box and rifled home off the underside of the bar.

Sub Paul Cummins got a scrappy injury-time consolation for Limerick, but UCD held on to win.

shelbourne 2-1 wexford youths

Shelbourne got their 2009 league campaign off to a winning start, beating Wexford Youths 2-1 in Friday's League of Ireland First Division clash.

The game took a while to get going as both sides looked sluggish for the opening 15 minutes, but the game burst into life after 25 minutes when Paddy Madden struck for Shelbourne.

Richie Baker was the provider for the goal as he sent a great cross into the box from the right and Madden headed home past Youths keeper Packie Holden

But Mick Wallace's side drew level two minutes before the break when Gavin Doyle smashed home from ten yards out.

And Wexford pushed on in the second half as they went looking for a winner but they could not breach the Shels defence and it was Dermot Keely's side who took the points as Anto Flood tapped the ball home in the 71st minute thanks to some good work from Baker again and David McAllister.

Shelbourne: Delaney, Brennan, Crawley, Keely, Doherty (Whelan 79), O'Brien (Doyle 62), McAllister, Cassidy, Hynes, Madden (Flood 62), Baker.

Subs not used: McGill, Quigley

Wexford Youths: Holden, Rossiter, Flynn-O'Connor, McGrath, Breen, Russell (Keohane 80), Malone, Dempsey (Kelly 64), Doyle, White, Miller (Sinnott 80)

Subs not used: McCurtain, Broaders

mervue united 0-1 athlone town

Mervue United began life in the League of Ireland First Divison with a 1-0 defeat against Athlone Town at Terryland Park on Friday night.

Mervue's nerves were evident from the outset, Athlone started strongly and took the lead after 16 minutes when Noel McGee slotted home after a scramble in the Mervue box, with a quality side foot volley into the roof of the net.

Athlone could have doubled the lead but Ryan Griffin brilliantly saved a Damien Rushe penalty.

Mervue improved in the second half but were unable to break down the resolute Athlone rearguard.

Manager Johnny Glynn made a number of tactical switches at half-time and Nicky Curren's switch to centre-midfield almost worked when he shaved the crossbar with a strike from distance.

Glynn made a number of changes which improved his side's attacking options with Alex Lee creating a number of problems for the visiting defence.

Athlone, without new signing Alex O'Reilly who failed to get international clearance in time, looked very organised and were using their width to particular effect, looking dangerous on the counter attack with Rushe supplying some excellent ammunition for the attackers.

Mervue now have a lot of work to do before their trip to Limerick, while Athlone Town will be delighted to begin their campaign with a solid start and three points on the board.

that was all the results i will bring other stories soon ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...