Lions Tour 2009 Discussion Thread

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Lions Tour 2009 Discussion Thread

I cant wait' date=' hopefully Halfpenny has a stormer and puts himself in line to start the first test. :)[/quote']

If I would pick my team atm this is what it would be..

1. Jenkins

2. Not sure yet

3. Murray

4. Wyn-Jones

5. O'Connell

6. Ferris/Worsley (would love Croft and I think he'd do the job)

7. Williams

8. Heaslip

9. Phillips/Ellis (Biased, but love the way he plays)

10. O'Gara/Hook

11. S.Williams (off form, but we know what he can do, and I think he'll match Habana)

12. Roberts (EASY) :D

13. O'Driscoll

14. Bowe

15. Byrne

As you can see, that in my eyes there is still a lot to be decided. :o

1. Jenkins

2. Not sure yet

3. Murray

4. Wyn-Jones

5. O'Connell

7. Williams

8. Heaslip

9. Phillips/Ellis (Biased' date=' but love the way he plays)

10. O'Gara/Hook

11. S.Williams (off form, but we know what he can do, and I think he'll match Habana)

13. O'Driscoll

14. Bowe

15. Byrne

As you can see, that in my eyes there is still a lot to be decided. :o[/quote']

Don't know much about Rugby play it but don't understend.

What are the strongest team we will face

Okay!

Watched em own the Golden Lions and Scrape past the Royal XI(Though was a good win in the end)

Wicked, be sure to catch this next one. Because they are a total different class to the Royal XI and the Golden Lions.

Then after the Cheetahs they will go on to play another super 14 side, the sharks, who are a good side, and the lions imo will have to look out for little centre, Jacobs.

1. Jenkins

2. Not sure yet

3. Murray

4. Wyn-Jones

5. O'Connell

7. Williams

8. Heaslip

9. Phillips/Ellis (Biased' date=' but love the way he plays)

10. O'Gara/Hook

13. O'Driscoll

14. Bowe

15. Byrne

As you can see, that in my eyes there is still a lot to be decided. :o[/quote']

I would agree with the majority of your selection.

But, I wouldnt have Worsley anywhere near a test jersey. He is anonymous in games unless he is given a specific role eg. man mark Roberts (england v wales). In that situation he is brilliant but giving him that role means he doesnt hit any rucks and doesnt carry any ball, he basically becomes a passenger. The Boks have one of the biggest and most intimidating packs and every Lions forward needs to be at their best to control Spies, Burger etc.

Phillips is nailed on for me ;)

O'Gara can be defensively fragile at times, thats why I opt for Jones. Hook will make the bench as he is pretty versatile.

Shane does seem to have the pyschological edge over Habana, whenever they come up against each other Shane comes out on top, but his form has dipped drastically and he wont start on reputation alone, he needs to impress before the tests.

give it to halfpenny i say, the kid is pure class.

I would agree with the majority of your selection.

But' date=' I wouldnt have Worsley anywhere near a test jersey. He is anonymous in games unless he is given a specific role eg. man mark Roberts (england v wales). In that situation he is brilliant but giving him that role means he doesnt hit any rucks and doesnt carry any ball, he basically becomes a passenger. The Boks have one of the biggest and most intimidating packs and every Lions forward needs to be at their best to control Spies, Burger etc.

Phillips is nailed on for me ;)

O'Gara can be defensively fragile at times, thats why I opt for Jones. Hook will make the bench as he is pretty versatile.

Shane does seem to have the pyschological edge over Habana, whenever they come up against each other Shane comes out on top, but his form has dipped drastically and he wont start on reputation alone, he needs to impress before the tests.

give it to halfpenny i say, the kid is pure class.[/quote']

Totally agree. I also like Luke Fitzgerald. :)

I would not have o'gara in there for reasons previosly mentioned, espcially if were going to play a kicking game.

Good win the other day & it will instill some confidence into the team but there games we can avoid as its not gona be like that for the test matches

If they start winning games like that it will be a big change when we come to play S.A

Then again if they dotn win like that we'll be getting annoyed B)

Lions starting team to face the Cheetahs:

1. Sheridan

2. Ford

3. Murray

4. O'Callaghan

5. O'Connell (Happy to see O'Callaghan and O'Connell together again):D

6. Ferris

7. Worsley

8. Powell

9. Ellis :D (HAPPY)

10. Hook

11. Williams (Hope he gets back to form)

12. Fitzgerald

13. Earls (Hope he can prove a point)

14. Halfpenny :D

15. Byrne

So overall it looks a fairly strong line-up and we should win the game, I hope Harry Ellis makes a claim for the test side.

Harry Ellis wont/shouldn't get a test spot ahead of Mike Phillips. Phillips and Jones were an amazing pairing on Wednesday, as were the centres, all four players linked so well. Even though it might be biased. Might being the main word, I think the Welsh half back pairing would be the right choice. The Springbok's will target that area and I'm not sure Ellis will be up for the SA flankers smashing him into next year, where Phillips can handle it and give it back...

I'm confused as to why Fitzgerald is playing at 12. I thought he was a winger and m,aybe not replacing Shanklin means he has to play there. That might be a slight weakness. Great to see Halfpenny get his debut for the Lions, such a massive talent with amazing potential, his only downfall is his size. But he makes up for it with sheer hwyl.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

My prediction: lions 40-32 cheetahs

Just hope the cheetahs dont get themselfs humilhated like golden lions did. They only have 2 players in the springbok squad so they will have all their best players available

My prediction: lions 40-32 cheetahs

Just hope the cheetahs dont get themselfs humilhated like golden lions did. They only have 2 players in the springbok squad so they will have all their best players available

You seem to think that the Lions have a weak defence? Every game so far, you have "predicted" they will concede more points as the next game comes.

After the first game, the Lions defensive coach took their performance as an insult and this has jeered the players up. I don't think we will concede anywhere near 32.

You seem to think that the Lions have a weak defence? Every game so far' date=' you have "predicted" they will concede more points as the next game comes.

After the first game, the Lions defensive coach took their performance as an insult and this has jeered the players up. I don't think we will concede anywhere near 32.[/quote']

Well they are playing against better and better teams. The Royals were supose to be the weakest team on the tour. I may have predicted higher scores but i think the warmup games will get open and lots of tries being scored.

Well they are playing against better and better teams. The Royals were supose to be the weakest team on the tour. I may have predicted higher scores but i think the warmup games will get open and lots of tries being scored.

I know the quality of opposition will go up over the coming games but we will also be builiding as a team and as a squad.

Its your prediction, I'm not knocking it, just pointing out that I disagree. :o I think it will be somewhere around 38-12 to the Lions.

I know the quality of opposition will go up over the coming games but we will also be builiding as a team and as a squad.

Its your prediction' date=' I'm not knocking it, just pointing out that I disagree. :o I think it will be somewhere around 38-12 to the Lions.[/quote']I reckon 41-9 To the Lions

I do agree with you about Ellis there. But I think he has a very doggy way of playing about him and he picks up the scraps.

Like you said with Burger etc hunting down on the scrum and fly half, Phillips would probably be able to hold his own, as he's a big lad.

I do like O'Gara at Fly half but he can be a bit tempremental at times, and could be an easy target. :o

Also, Fitzgerald can play inside centre ;) He played there a few times for Leinster this season. I think he'll do well. Another reason why he is probably there is so they can take a proper look at Halfpenny on the wing and Williams because he's under-performing he needs game time to try get back on track, I imagine. :o

Its your prediction' date=' I'm not knocking it, just pointing out that I disagree. :o I think it will be somewhere around 38-12 to the Lions.[/quote']

in fairness to him his prediction isnt half bad for the cheetahs game. look at the lions backline, its tiny.. although most can defend i worry about shane, hook and earls defensively so a few tries could be conceded.

however, the backline is also very fast so they may well score alot of tries aswell. i expect this one to be an open game, and its the weakest 15 the lions have put out so far.

ive put a liitle bet on the cheetahs to win so i wouldnt mind a lions loss today. :)

Also' date=' Fitzgerald can play inside centre ;) He played there a few times for Leinster this season. I think he'll do well. Another reason why he is probably there is so they can take a proper look at Halfpenny on the wing and Williams because he's under-performing he needs game time to try get back on track, I imagine. :o[/quote']

agreed, although i though fitzgerald could only play outside centre :S. anyway there is no question that he is only playing at centre as there is no other option. O'Driscoll is wrapped up in cotton wool before the tests ( i only expect him to play 2 more warm up games at the most now) Roberts has played twice this week already and Darcy has only just arrived so couldnt play the full 80.

I expect Shane to come off for Darcy on the hour mark and Darcy will play 12 and Fitzy wll go onto the wing.

It was an OK performance, but it could have been a lot better.

Williams didn't really do much again, same as Halfpenny. Hook and Ellis had a strong game together, and Hook showed what he has at times, also his kicking was good. O'Connell played well, and I was extremly impressed by Ferris. And I was also glad that young Earls had a fairly good game. :)

My starting 15 for the tests so far:

1. Not sure yet

2. Ford/not sure yet

3. Murray

4. Wyn-Jones

5. O'Connell

6. Ferris

7. Wallace/Williams

8. Heaslip

9. Phillips/Ellis

10. Hook or Jones

11. Williams (I think they'll pick him)

12. Roberts

13. O'Driscoll

14. Bowe

15. Byrne

You were closer than me so I take it back. :P

Need to improve next game' date=' although it was a slightly make-shift back line. No excuses though. ;)[/quote']

Yes, big time, because Sharks are a lot better than Cheetahs. :o

Hope we have some power in the centre's vs Sharks i.e Jamie Roberts.

You were closer than me so I take it back. :P

Need to improve next game' date=' although it was a slightly make-shift back line. No excuses though. ;)[/quote']

yeah u beter take it back! :)

U think in next lions game it will be a similar lineup to the one on wednesday with guys like roberts o'driscoll