Lions Tour 2009 Discussion Thread

Re: Lions Tour 2009 Discussion Thread

yeah u beter take it back! :)

U think in next lions game it will be a similar lineup to the one on wednesday with guys like roberts o'driscoll

Yeah I'd imagine it'll be:

Jenkins

Mears

Jones

AWJ

Hines

Croft

Williams

Heaslip

Blair/Phillips

O'Gara

Monye

Flutey (if fit) or Darcy

Roberts (possibly)

Halfpenny/Fitzgerald

Kearney

I doubt they will play O'Driscoll as they wont risk him as much now up until the tests which would mean Roberts may have to play 13 where he hasnt played all that often, while Bowe is another option.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the side has been announced to play the Sharks.

1.jenkins

2.mears

3.jones

4.AWJ

5.POC

6.croft

7.wallace

8.heaslip

9.phillips

10.O'gara

11. Shane (AGAIN!)

12.Roberts

13.BOD

14.Fitzgerald

15.Byrne

An easy win for the Lions here.

How the hell has Shane managed to get another chance, its ridiculous!

the side has been announced to play the Sharks.

1.jenkins

2.mears

3.jones

4.AWJ

5.POC

6.croft

7.wallace

8.heaslip

9.phillips

10.O'gara

11. Shane (AGAIN!)

12.Roberts

13.BOD

14.Fitzgerald

15.Byrne

An easy win for the Lions here.

How the hell has Shane managed to get another chance' date=' its ridiculous![/quote']

Seems we are taking it seriously. That back line is almost the test backline for me.

What a shame to see Leigh Halfpenny on his way home from the Lions Tour. The little experience he has had so far will be drive enough to want to tour with the Lions again and he has time on his side though.

Also, Ferris has been ruled out for the whole tour. Such a terible loss to the squad, he's been in great form. Wales captain, Ryan Jones replaces him. Ryan has not been on the bets of form of late but will be raring to get stuck into things.

Prediction: sharks 25-20 lions

The sharks forwards really good. The weakness will be the centres and flyhalf in sharks team but im still going for a sharks win. I hope Stefan terblanche at fullback will hav a good game to prove that he should hav ben included in the springbok team.

Prediction: sharks 25-20 lions

The sharks forwards really good. The weakness will be the centres and flyhalf in sharks team but im still going for a sharks win. I hope Stefan terblanche at fullback will hav a good game to prove that he should hav ben included in the springbok team.

You really dont have a clue. That was a strong Lions team the Sharks played, and had to do so without their Springboks, they had no chance whatsoever!

• 2 weeks later...

haha

My sister has come home for some training before she heads back to s.Africa and braught me home some lovely S.African rugby tops and polo shirts :D

Think I wait till the tour is over before I start wearing them :D

am really gutted about Feris :/

So am I mate ^

I'm very glad Tommy Croft is playing tho!:D

Lions starting team:

1. Jenkins

2. Mears

3. Vickery

4. Wyn-Jones

5. O'Connell

6. Croft

7. Wallace

8. Heaslip

9. Phillips

10. Jones

11. Monye

12. Roberts

13. O'Driscoll

14. Bowe

15. Byrne

Come on you Lions! We can do this!

Key men and battles:

Front row will be one of the most important battles.

And if we win BOD will be probably our most important player, I also think Jamie Roberts will be important in defence.

Can't wait to see BOD vs Adi Jacobs.. both very similar players! :D

:( Unlucky boys.

Just too little too late. We turned on the style to late, and the Boks did deserve it.

What a game.

Jamie Roberts and BOD were class together today.

Think if Jones got those two early kicks, we'd have won.

But like they say, Hinesight (spelling) is a wonderful thing!

Well done tho boys! :)

:( Unlucky boys.

Just too little too late. We turned on the style to late' date=' and the Boks did deserve it.

What a game.

Jamie Roberts and BOD were class together today.

Think if Jones got those two early kicks, we'd have won.

But like they say, Hinesight (spelling) is a wonderful thing!

Well done tho boys! :)[/quote']

If Monye hadn't fluffed those two EASY chances then Stephen Jones' kicks wouldn't have mattered. :rolleyes:

My ratings:

1. Jenkins - Cemented his spot I think. Did everything asked of him.

2. Mears - Terrible throws into the line, did nothing in the loose, why was he there?

3. Vickery - I feel sorry for him, even though he's English and I hate him. He had NO support from the referee who seemed to ignore the fact that you MUST drive straight in the scrum. The beast battered him, but as I said, Vickery had no help from the ref.

4. Wyn-Jones - Didn't do much wrong. He loves the physical stuff and can hold his own. He was up against two of the best today and didn't step back at all.

5. O'Connell - Gave away too many silly penalties in the first half. He is always a presence though and put himself about a bit today.

6. Croft - Really inpressed. Apart from conceding the silly penalty he was really good. He's big, fast and really gets into the right places at the right times. Which is why he scored two tries.

7. Wallace - Nothing special tbh. Just plodded along. I would much tather see Martyn Williams there. Wallace has the brute force but Williams is another class.

8. Heaslip - Again, nothing that special. He didn't offer a big physical presence that you need to as an 8 playing against Southern Hemisphere opposition. I'm not sure who can fill this spot in the next tests.

9. Phillips - Really frustrated me at times with his tendancy to take a few little steps before letting the ball go but on the whole he was awesome. His try, rather Gareth Edwards esq. ;). He stood up well to the Box being in his face.

10. Jones - Other than the two missed kicks (Which he should have kicked) he was solid. Never missed a tackle and never lost the ball in contact. A few of his touch kicks were "strange" but He stands up to the Box better than O'Gara would.

11. Monye - Useless, other than the one hand off against Habana. He couldn't score in a brothel. Even when he came looking for the ball inside he looked lack luster. Fitzgerald or Williams should replace him.

12. Roberts - Outstanding!! When he hits the ball at pace he is SOO hard to stop, even for the big Box players. His offloading in the tackle improves in every game. Was my man of the match.

13. O'Driscoll - He is a class above ANY other 13 in the World. Its a pitty he has to age as he is one player I would love to watch forever. Was a bit scary when he was knocked out but he got back up.

14. Bowe - Nothing too special. He stood up to the physicallity, which was the only thing I would have questioned. I think he would keep his place tbh.

15. Byrne - Pitty he went off. His extra running may have helped late on as he is the slightly better runner out of himself and Kearney

All the subs added something too which is promising.

The Bocks subs had a huge impact on the game as it severely dented their rythym. They wont make that mistake again, aswell as playing at such a high alltitude in the next test it might get harder.

Definately positives to be taken from the game though.

If you watched on Sky then you probably heard the uesless commentary. I really wanted to mute the TV but the fact I was in the pub I couldn't. :mad:

Look forward to the Young Springbocks on Tuesday. They are a great team too.

Dai:

Nither of them were "fluffed". I'm a winger and he tried to slide in from quite far out, which is very very hard to pull off and was bundled out by two Bok players, so there it was not his fault.

The second Monye chance, he did really well to step JP Pietersen (I think it was), but Mourne Steyn wrapped him up and knock the ball from his hands.

So yeah, if Jones did get them two kicks which were obviously easier than Monye's chances we would have won. But we lost so it doesn't matter. :o

Anyway, Tommy Croft and Phillips were really good today. :D

I reckon we'll win next test. We should of started with Matthew Rees today, as Mears' line-out throws were shocking, and when Rees came on they were pretty solid.

BOD was GOD again too, also Jamie Roberts played really well.

I can't wait to see Schalk Burger for the Bok next test (if hes fit), because he is so aggressive, I really wanna see what Phillips does when he is hunted down by a Flanker like Burger.

Phillips is a big lad, and today showed he can put up to them Bok forwards. :)

Dai:

Nither of them were "fluffed". I'm a winger and he tried to slide in from quite far out' date=' which is very very hard to pull off and was bundled out by two Bok players, so there it was not his fault.

The second Monye chance, he did really well to step JP Pietersen (I think it was), but Mourne Steyn wrapped him up and knock the ball from his hands.

So yeah, if Jones did get them two kicks which were obviously easier than Monye's chances we would have won. But we lost so it doesn't matter. :o

I reckon we'll win next test. We should of started with Matthew Rees today, as Mears' line-out throws were shocking, and when Rees came on they were pretty solid.

I can't wait to see Schalk Burger for the Bok next test (if hes fit), because he is so aggressive, I really wanna see what Phillips does when he is hunted down by a Flanker like Burger.

Phillips is a big lad, and today showed he can put up to them Bok forwards. :)[/quote']

Phillips will play his usuall game. He can stand up to it. I would hate to see what Ellis would do against Berger. He would get gobbled up every time.

Even if you are a winger mate, Monye surely knew it was wet enough to slide in from 5 yrds out. Any DECENT winger would know that. It was such an easy chance that ANY OTHER winger would have nailed. The move deserved a try.

The second one wass even worse. The lsast ditch tackle was amazing but if you had your whits about you then you would have that ball so secure untill you had grounded it.

Just my opinion mate. Monye was the worst Lion on tbe pitch today, not just for missing the chances.

Dai:

Nither of them were "fluffed". I'm a winger and he tried to slide in from quite far out' date=' which is very very hard to pull off and was bundled out by two Bok players, so there it was not his fault.

Phillips is a big lad, and today showed he can put up to them Bok forwards. :)[/quote']

Monye shoulda done better, no doubt.

I can see the series finishing 3-0 to South Africa now as we are going to high altitude which will suit ther Boks and of course Burger will probably be back. Also they won't make the same mistake again in taking off their big players too early and the more games they play the better they will get. This was the Lions best chance today and they didn't take it.

Phillps was solid but he was, at times like Dai said, too slow to get the ball away, he took a step way too much.

If Monye hadn't fluffed those two EASY chances then Stephen Jones' kicks wouldn't have mattered. :rolleyes:

14. Bowe - Nothing too special. He stood up to the physicallity' date=' which was the only thing I would have questioned. I think he would keep his place tbh.

[/quote']

Bowe is an exceptionally strong lad I would have never questioned he could handle the physicality very quite game though if only he caught that ball near the end

Just wish he was still playing for Ulster :/

Vickery is technically poor in the scrum and Tight Head is the easiest of the two prop positions to play. Well at lest i found it a breeze but I loved playing loose

Phillips will play his usuall game. He can stand up to it. I would hate to see what Ellis would do against Berger. He would get gobbled up every time.

Even if you are a winger mate' date=' Monye surely knew it was wet enough to slide in from 5 yrds out. Any DECENT winger would know that. It was such an easy chance that ANY OTHER winger would have nailed. The move deserved a try.

The second one wass even worse. The lsast ditch tackle was amazing but if you had your whits about you then you would have that ball so secure untill you had grounded it.

Just my opinion mate. Monye was the worst Lion on tbe pitch today, not just for missing the chances.[/quote']

Any conditions, sliding from that far out, would be a great finish, specially with a centre and winger trying to get you out into touch.

The second one was the worse of the two, but still in my opinion, not one of the worst misses i've seen.

But yeah, Monye was terrible today, when chasing kicks, his catching was poor. I wouldn't be surprised if Williams got another chance. :o

I'd say Vickery was the worst, his scrumaging was useless. The "Beast" had him every time. :rolleyes:

Emerging Boks v Lions will be a good match. :)

Monye shoulda done better' date=' no doubt.

I can see the series finishing 3-0 to South Africa now as we are going to high altitude which will suit ther Boks and of course Burger will probably be back. Also they won't make the same mistake again in taking off their big players too early and the more games they play the better they will get. This was the Lions best chance today and they didn't take it.

Phillps was solid but he was, at times like Dai said, too slow to get the ball away, he took a step way too much.[/quote']

He did take steps. But then, other times his distribution was top draw, quick and direct. He frustrated me. He never does that for Wales. Which makes me think that it might be a ploy of some sort to delay ever so slightly to give more of a flat lined pass?