Lions Tour 2009 Discussion Thread

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Lions Tour 2009 Discussion Thread

He did take steps. But then' date=' other times his distribution was top draw, quick and direct. He frustrated me. He never does that for Wales. Which makes me think that it might be a ploy of some sort to delay ever so slightly to give more of a flat lined pass?[/quote']

He does do it for Wales Dai, he always has done. When he was playing for the Blues he did it and it annoyed the heck out of alot of fans so I doubt it's a ploy. he is however still world class and the best option available as his service is accurate unlike Ellis who seems to adore passing behind the man. :rolleyes:

With the next game in mind..

I'd put Jones in for Vickery.

Williams for Wallace.

Fitzgerald/Kearney or Williams ( in that order) for Monye.

If Williams doesnt start I'll be extremely annoyed as Wallace has been anonymous in every game so far.

Also 50/50 calls on whether to go with ROG or Jones and Mears or Rees.

It will be harder at altitude but there are reasons to be optimistic. When the scrum went well we had the foundations to play, and Roberts and BOD caused problems, and also if the lineout can be improved slightly we will really be able to take the game to the Boks.

Anybody else think the ref was weak today? In the last 20 mins, SA conceded far too many pens in their 22 and werent even warned about a sin binning.

Finally, the game was there for the taking today and there wasnt really a dynamic impact sub, which is why I think Powell should be put on the bench. Heaslip is a great controlling influence but Powell will be a nightmare in the last 20, particuluarly as the Boks look short on match fitness.

lions team to face S.A today 7 Irish starters 6 Welsh 2 English

Kearney (Leinster and Ireland)

T Bowe (Ospreys and Ireland),

B O'Driscoll (Leinster and Ireland),

J Roberts (Cardiff Blues and Wales),

L Fitzgerald (Leinster and Ireland);

S Jones (Scarlets and Wales),

M Phillips (Ospreys and Wales);

G Jenkins (Cardiff Blues and Wales),

M Rees (Scarlets and Wales),

A Jones (Ospreys and Wales),

S Shaw (Wasps and England),

P O'Connell (Munster and Ireland, capt),

T Croft (Leicester and England),

D Wallace (Munster and Ireland),

J Heaslip (Leinster and Ireland).

Guest Toggs

Its been a really good start from the Lions, even though their try should/could of been dealt with much before. Have a penalty and weve just scored, making it 13-5 Lions. :)

So disappointed. We didn't deserve to lose that.

Ronan "self destruct" O'Gara gave South Africa the match. If he had kicked to touch like he is so "good" at doing then the draw would have been enough to take it to a decider next week.

It all changed after the two props went off injured. Such a shame as we were the team doing the battering in the scrum today and all over the pitch really. Jenkins and Adam Jones were immense, in the loose and the tight. They put everything in and it was inevitable that they would pick up knocks.

Ah well.

So disappointed. We didn't deserve to lose that.

Ronan "self destruct" O'Gara gave South Africa the match. If he had kicked to touch like he is so "good" at doing then the draw would have been enough to take it to a decider next week.

I think he was woowoo land from that blow to the head. Last min get the ball to touch. It was like watching a car crash unfold in slow motion

Kearny/Heaslip/a.jones/S.jones/Bowe/Shaw where all amzing today and their performances deserved the win :/

I'll be honest and say I neither understand or like Rugby all that much....i hardly ever watch it. But I watched the 2nd half this afternoon and bar the result I did really enjoy it.....

2nd half was quite poor tbh. The first half was amzing

2nd half was quite poor tbh. The first half was amzing

The last 15 minutes were pretty dramatic - probably why i enjoyed it.

To me it still looks like 22 big blokes brawling with each other no matter how good it's meant to be. I'm just not educated enough in the game to really know what I am looking at :o

I'll be honest and say I neither understand or like Rugby all that much....i hardly ever watch it. But I watched the 2nd half this afternoon and bar the result I did really enjoy it.....

You shoulda seen the first half then, mainly because the Lions were dominant but also because it was ever so slightly more entertaining rugby than the second.

Overall though what an exciting game! I missed the first 30secs and came in to see Burger doing a bit of gouging, in all honesty he should have been sent off but oh well. They took advantage of the 14 men and kept up the high level of performance and should really have been further ahead at the break considering they had, what, 70% of possesion.

Second half SA started a lot better, wasn't really the Lions fault they just outplayed for most of the half. As Dai said the front row was exceptional and when the two props had to leave it definately affected the game. It got worse when Roberts had to go off and for some reason O'Gara was brought on. Worst decision of the tour because put simply, he single handedly lost the tour.

But overall the Lions showed great spirit in the first test to come back from so far behind and for most of todays game I expected a win. Particularly as the game went on I expected SA to tire but it didn't happen. Still the Lions should be proud, particularily for todays efforts.

To me it still looks like 22 big blokes brawling with each other no matter how good it's meant to be. I'm just not educated enough in the game to really know what I am looking at :o

Its good that you attempted to watch it mate. The first half would have been more enjoyable. Its such an awesome sport. So physical.

Too many good performances to name certain players. Kearney, however, looks so comfortable under EVERY high ball. Has to have man of the match.

;)

Ruby Union can be the most exiting game in the world in the last 15 mins if it a close game.

so many ways you can lose/win/draw, drop goals, last min trys, pen kicks can change the outcome. Ups and downs. tears can turn to joy in a spilt second

You shoulda seen the first half then' date=' mainly because the Lions were dominant but also because it was ever so slightly more entertaining rugby than the second.

Overall though what an exciting game! I missed the first 30secs and came in to see Burger doing a bit of gouging, in all honesty he should have been sent off but oh well. They took advantage of the 14 men and kept up the high level of performance and should really have been further ahead at the break considering they had, what, 70% of possesion.

Second half SA started a lot better, wasn't really the Lions fault they just outplayed for most of the half. As Dai said the front row was exceptional and when the two props had to leave it definately affected the game. It got worse when Roberts had to go off and for some reason O'Gara was brought on. Worst decision of the tour because put simply, he single handedly lost the tour.

But overall the Lions showed great spirit in the first test to come back from so far behind and for most of todays game I expected a win. Particularly as the game went on I expected SA to tire but it didn't happen. Still the Lions should be proud, particularily for todays efforts.[/quote']

It was made even more annoying when Hook was on the bench. A natural replacement for Roberts at Center as Hook has played centre alot. Stephen Jones has played Centre and is very good there but you lose him at 10 which was bad. (His goal kicking was amazing today too)