Sign in to follow this  
andyowls

Young Argentine Talent

NEW UPDATE (14/10/09) - PLEASE READ:

I haven't updated this thread for a long, long time, and to be quite honest, I can't be bothered to go through a complete overhaul on this whole, mammoth post. Feel free to read through it still; I'm sure it still makes 75% sense but from now on, I shall be completing individual updates on each player, just to give you an idea on how well they finished the Clausura, where they are now, how they are doing and what the future holds for them. Click the links below for the latest update on said player:

Matias De Federico

Mauro Formica

----------

Initially, I started this thread looking at the promising Federico Mancuello. However, after continued scouting, I have unearthed numerous other talents that have showed early promise this Clausura. I must stress, however, that I do not claim to have found any of these players. Indeed if you believe you deserve some credit, let me know, (with proof!!!) and I will issue praise where it is due. I am just offering my own reports on each of the players in my own style.

Here, I will report on a number of talents, updating their statistics as the season progresses. I must stress, however, that no predictions will be made at this early stage as it is too soon to predict in my opinion. As the Clausura reaches it's climax, however, I will look into hazarding some predictions. All players are rated 78 or under, bar one - Milton Caraglio - and have all featured heavily for their respective teams in Argentina this Clausura, whereas, they were more or less restricted to fleeting subtitute appearances in recent times. The following players are featured in this thread:

MARCONE, Ivan - 74-rated, 20-year-old Midfielder for Arsenal de Serandi

RODRIGUEZ, James - 76-rated, 17-year-old Midfielder/Forward for Banfield

CASTILLO, Fabian - 75-rated, 20-year-old Forward for Colon de Santa Fe

DE FEDERICO, Matias - 77-rated, 20-year-old Midfielder/Forward for Huracan

MONZON, Gaston - 73-rated, 21-year-old Goalkeeper for Huracan

PASTORE, Javier - 78-rated, 19-year-old Midfielder/Forward for Huracan

MANCUELLO, Federico - 75-rated, 19-year-old Midfielder for Independiente

VITTOR, Sergio - 74-rated, 19-year-old Midfielder for Independiente

FORMICA, Mauro - 75-rated, 20-year-old Forward for Newell's Old Boys

PILLUD, Ivan - 75-rated, 22-year-old Defender for Newell's Old Boys

AVELDANO, Lucas - 74-rated 23-year-old Defender for Racing Club

MATIAS MARTINEZ, Alfredo - 72-rated, 21-year-old Defender for Racing Club

BURDISSO, Guillermo - 76-rated, 20-year-old Defender for Rosario Central

CARAGLIO, Milton - 80-rated, 20-year-old Forward for Rosario Central

CHAVEZ, Christian - 73-rated, 21-year-old Forward for San Lorenzo

OTAMENDI, Nicolas - 75-rated, 21-year-old Defender for Velez Sarsfield

I would personally recommend you take a look at Radebe20's thread entitled Argentinian Analysis. He keeps a much closer eye on Argentinian Football, and will keep you up to date with the exact goings on from all over Argentina:

Argentinian Analysis

----------

MARCONE, Ivan

First discovered here, I believe, by Radebe20:

Argentinian Analysis

Stats

Name: MARCONE, Ivan

Club: Arsenal de Serandi

D.O.B.: 30/06/88

Position: CM

Squad Number: 30

SM Rating: 74

Predicted Rating Increase:

+3 --> 77

Marcone is a midfielder who is beginning to make more of an impression on the Arsenal first team slowly but surely. Radebe20 informs that Marcone is actually a defender by trade, but has been utilised in more or less in a central midfield role. He first came to prominence for El Viaducto last Apertura making the odd substitute's appearance and posted an impressive record as Arsenal remained unbeaten in any game that Marcone featured in.

This Season

Marcone has again been appearing as a substitute this season, but his appearances have been more frequent and for long lengths of playing time. What is most promising is that he was included in the starting XI in round 7 of the Clausura playing the full 90 minutes as Arsenal went down 2-0 to Banfield, replacing Carlos Castiglione in the starting lineup (and only due to 2 penalties did Arsenal lose - Banfield keeper Christian Luchetti grabbing his 2nd and 3rd of the season!!!). Marcone gave a solid account of himself, and, all being well, will have done enough to keep his place in the side for the following week's fixture.

2008 Apertura

Starts: 0

Sub Apps: 3

Total Mins: 53

Goals: 0

Assists: 0

Shots (On Target): 0 (0)

2009 Clausura

Starts: 1

Sub Apps: 4

Total Mins: 221

Shots (On Target): 3 (3)

----------

RODRIGUEZ, James

First discovered here, by up_gunners.

Columbian starlet - James Rodriguez

l456994578883068.jpg

Stats

Name: RODRIGUEZ, James

Club: Banfield

B.O.B.: 12/07/91

Position: AM

Squad Number: 13

SM Rating: 76

+1 --> 77

Rodriguez kind of goes against my rule of thumb for this thread in the sense that he is actually Columbian and he hasn't had a single start to his name so far in his career. However, he appears to be such a talent, that I couldn't leave him out. He started his career at the very tender age of 16, turning in numerous performances for Envigado, a small Columbian side. He made such an impression however, that he earned himself a transfer to Argentinian side Banfield, who are continuing to nurture his raw talent. up_gunners also reports that he has represented Columbia at under-17 level, making his debut at the age of just 15.

This Season

Despite being expected to linger in the shadows this Clausura while he plys his trade, Rodriguez has impressed on a few occasions from the substitute's bench. His most notable appearance came against Rosario Central, in which he scored a 25-yard rocket to fully show how much potential he has. The link is shown below and, remembering that he is still only 17, it is remarkable to think about this guy's potential future. Hopefully, as the Clausura continues, he can keep making the odd substitute appearance and, if he continues to impress, he could warrant a starting role. I wouldn't put him down for a great rise at the minute, but he is definately one to keep an eye on.

2009 Clausura

Sub Apps: 8

Total Mins: 136

Goals: 1

Shots (On Target): 3 (3)

----------

Below is a link showing Rodriguez' solitary professional goal, and what a goal it is! On as a substitute, the ball ricochets kindly into the path of Rodriguez who, without hesitation, takes one touch and unleashes an unbelievable effort into the top corner from 25 yards out. This guy is ONLY 17.

WATCH THIS!

Rodriguez goal, 0:36

A0LGyg0m0wM

----------

CASTILLO, Fabian

Credit goes to Radebe for the following player, who, I believe, picked up on him first in his Argentinian Analysis thread:

Argentinian Analysis

1_pa_fmt.jpeg

Stats

Name: CASTILLO, Fabian

Club: Colon de Santa Fe

D.O.B.: 03/05/88

Position: CF

SM Rating: 75

+5 --> 80

Castillo is seen as the long-term replacement to Esteban Fuertes, the club's all-time leading goalscorer, at Colon. Although of a small and slight figure, Castillo makes up for that with an incredible work rate. Indeed, Radebe20 describes Castillo as an Argetinian Paul Scholes, which is quite apt. While other young Colon prospects Acosta and Sciorillo have made more of a first team impression in recent times, it is Castillo who has forced his way into the reckoning for the start of the 2009 Clausura.

This Season

Castillo has burst on to the scene solely this season, being thrown straight into the squad for his first appearance in the season opening game against River Plate. Castillo helped Colon to an impressive 2-2 draw, away from home to one of the top teams in Argentina. Castillo started the following 5 games, although he has been brought off in each game he has started this Clausura. He was kept on the bench for this weekend's 3-0 win over San Lorenzo, playing out the final 7 minutes. Colon are performing brilliantly at the moment holding 2nd place in the table. Whether or not they, and Castillo, can keep it up, only time can tell. For me, if Castillo can score a goal or two in the coming weeks, then his place in the side should be secure. But, no matter how well he plays, strikers are judged by the goals they score.

2009 Clausura

Starts: 6

Sub Apps: 3

Total Mins: 428

Assists: 1

Shots (On Target): 6 (2)

----------

DE FEDERICO, Matias

4c_defederico.jpg

Name: DE FEDERICO, Matias

Club: Huracan

D.O.B.: 01/01/89

Position: Fwd

Squad Number: 20

SM Rating: 77

+7 --> 84

Matias De Federico has been one of many Huracan players who have achieved above expectations this Clausura. His stock has sky-rocketed and for that reason, he is almost certain of a big rise to 83, with an 84 not out of the question by any means. Do not be surprised by any means if you see this guy moving to Europe this Summer. If not, then he is almost certain to be packing his bags sooner, rather than later.

This guy may just be my early top tip so far this Clausura, and when you have a look at his videos below, you will see why. Standing at a very diminutive 5' 7", De Federico is a very good dribbler whilst also being able to pack a punch in his shot. Whilst being on the substitutes bench for a number of games during the 2008 Apertura, be was largely ignored until the latter stages of the season when he was finally given a chance. After a brief, 15-minute spell as a substitute in August, De Federico was handed his first start in the final game of the season at home to Velez Sarsfield. Huracan posted an impressive 3-0 victory in this game and no thanks to De Federico, who sent them on their way with an unstoppable 25-30 yard strike (see link below). A sign of things to come next Clausura, perhaps?

This Season

De Federico's impressive end to the season got a lot of people talking about his potential. Manager Angel Cappa put his faith in him and started him in the season opener. De Federico played the full 90 minutes as Huracan started the season with a 1-0 victory, and he hasn't looked back since. He has started every game this Clausura and has been instrumental to Huracan's success. In fact, many people say that Huracan are the team that are playing the most attractive football in 2009, and De Federico is certainly contributing to this. His fantastic dribbling skills, close control and agile movements are causing defences problems week in, week out, so much so, that he is already being touted for a move to Europe. His fine recent form was rewarded by national team coach Diego Maradona with a call-up to the senior side, although he did not figure for the first XI.

2008 Apertura

Sub Apps: 1

Total Mins: 86

Shots (On Target): 3 (2)

2009 Clausura

Starts: 15

Sub Apps: 0

Total Mins: 1295

Goals: 4

Assists: 7

Shots (On Target): 36 (20)

----------

This first video shows De Federico scoring his first professional goal in the final game of the Apertura against Velez Sarsfield. It's a stunning strike, but don't blink - you'll miss it! Picking up the ball 25-30 yards out, De Federico unleashes an unstoppable shot into the top corner. Top quality, although it's a shame that there are no replays for this effort.

THIS IS A MUST SEE

De Federico goal, 0:00

knwtqrw8uTQ

----------

Below is a video of Huracan's impressive 4-1 win at Racing Club, in which De Federico scores twice. His first is particularly impressive as he dribbles from 20-25 yards out past one defender, shows excellent acceleration to power past another defender as if he wasn't there, before chipping the goalkeeper delightfully. For his second he shows good instincts to dispatch well after the keeper saves from a prior effort.

Two De Federico goals, 0:52 & 2:21

ZezMUZnFbQk

----------

Below shows De Federico's 3rd goal of the Clausura, the opener against Independiente - a game which the opponents came from behind to win 2-1. De Federico receives a ball pulled back from the byline, and he makes no mistake from 12-yards, firing a right-footed shot low and hard to Fabian Assman's left-hand side.

De Federico goal, 0:00

u1K8vULzhUE

----------

In the video below, De Federico is seen scoring and assisting in the Round 12 win over Godoy Cruz. He picks the ball up inside his own half, skips past a challenge and plays a great through ball for Federico Nieto to score Huracan's 2nd goal. He then goes on to score himself, waltzing through the opposition defence before slamming a left-footed strike home. A very nice goal.

De Federico assist, 1:07, and goal, 2:00

QwrngxNN_TA

----------

Below is a quote from goal.com, as they include De Federico in the Argentine Clausura Team of the Week, Round 7, after De Federico helped his side to an impressive 3-0 win over Lanus:

Matias De Federico (Huracan)

Played a key role as his side picked up a valuable victory. He commanded the Huracan midfield and assisted his front men with a number of fine assists. His dribbling and vision was also world-class.

goal.com also recently did an interview with him about a possible move to Europe, where he expressed his desire to play in either Spain or England. He has already been linked with Barcelona, along with several Italian clubs, but this could be just the rumour mill at work. For the full interview, click here. But below are a few of the quotes he made:

"The truth is that even though people are already asking me, I prefer to wait until June and see what happens. Logically at times you go to sleep and are thinking about many things, including the financial situation and also my family, and I am just a boy, which changes a lot. In three months I have gone from being a reserve team player to first-choice and getting a call-up for Argentina, therefore, in June I will sit down and put everything on the table, and decide what is best for my family and I. What is important is to continue at this level and to ensure the opportunities are good for me, as well as making sure Huracan do well in the future with my sale," he explained.

"I like to watch the English league, it is very fast and I think that it would suit my speed well. I also like the Spanish game a lot."

When asked about his call-up to the Argentina national team, De Federico had this to say:

"The truth is that I think about it every night when I sleep. I do not know how to respond or how to react. Being in the dressing room with the best Argentine football players is going to be incredible. I hope that some day I can share it with Messi or Tevez and speak to them. I cannot believe that I will be in the team, and even less when Diego speaks to me. I do not have any idea what it will be like but I think about it every night,"

I must stress: this player is going to be huge!

----------

MONZON, Gaston

Before I begin this Profile, it must be stressed that this player was discovered elsewhere before this thread was made. I am going to do my own profile on this player, although there is a specific thread (written by thebugel) for this player which can be found here:

Gaston Monzon - (73) Huracán Regular

1c_monzon.jpg

Stats

Name: MONZON, Gaston

D.O.B.: 13/05/87

Position: GK

Squad Number: 22

SM Rating: 73

+9 --> 82

Gaston Monzon is a young, tall shot stopper, who has recently broken into the first team at Huracan. He first came to prominence at the end of the 2008 Clausura, after numerous appearances on the substitutes bench. Oscar Alejandro Limia, the previous number one between the sticks at Huracan until now, was released at the end of the 2008 Apertura, leaving his position up for grabs. In anticipation of his departute, Monzon was given two starts at the end of the season and he impressed, keeping one clean sheet and letting in a solitary goal against Arsenal.

This Season

Monzon's impressive showings at the end of the Apertura led him to claim the starting role for the season opener at home to San Martin. Monzon hasn't looked back since, playing 7 full fixtures in total, keeping two clean sheets in the process. Monzon has let in 10 goals so far this season as they hold a strong position at the top end of the table. Monzon should be in for a good rise as he is set to keep his place for the rest of the Clausura.

2008 Apertura

Starts: 2

Total Mins: 180

Clean Sheets: 1

Goals Conceded: 1

Saves: 4

2009 Clausura

Total Mins: 1450

Clean Sheets: 5

Goals Conceded: 17

Saves: 39

----------

PASTORE, Javier

3c_pastore.jpg

Stats

Name: PASTORE, Javier

D.O.B.: 20/06/89

Position: Fwd/AM

Squad Number: 16

SM Rating: 78

+6 --> 84

Javier Pastore, along with De Federico, has been making a hell of an impression this Clausura. At a towering 187cm tall, Pastore occupates an attacking role in midfield behind the front two. Pastore possesses a good touch and excellent finishing ability. Huracan picked him up from a second tier team in Argentina, Talleres de Cordoba. He came through the youth ranks here before making his debut in 2007, making five appearances for los tallarines before he was snapped up by Huracan in 2008. After the solitary substitute appearance made during the 2008 Claususa, Pastore was really given the chance to shine in the Apertura, totalling 11 appearances, 6 of which were starts. What was most notable was Pastore highly efficient shooting as he almost always made the goalkeeper earn his money. While he only scored once, it laid the foundations for the following Clausura, and SM rewarded him with a +4 in the latest rating changes.

This Season

Like De Federico, Pastore has started every game this Clausura, getting a full 90 minutes on four occasions. Pastore hasn't been quite as efficient with his shooting this year, but has been much more clinical, with 3 goals to his name so far. The future looks bright for Pastore, who seems to have a first XI place secure for the rest of the Clausura. If he can continue to show his promising talent, and show more of his creative skills which he has done, he will be in for another good rise in the summer.

2008 Apertura

Starts: 6

Sub Apps: 5

Total Mins: 601

Shots (On Target): 14 (12)

2009 Clausura

Total Mins: 1312

Goals: 7

Assists: 2

Shots (On Target): 36 (17)

----------

Below is the same video as shown for De Federico. Pastore is seen scoring the 5th/last goal of the game, slotting in nicely from an acute angle after being put through on goal.

Pastore goal, 3:12

ZezMUZnFbQk

----------

Below, Pastore is seen scoring twice at the weekend against Lanus. His first strike is quite something. Receiving the ball from the left, he hits the ball first time on the half-volley from an acute angle about 12 yards out. With the keeper rushing over, Pastore directs his shot expertly, close to the near post - very emphatic. His second is simply a tap-in after very impressive dribbling skills from De Federico (see above profile).

Two Pastore goals, 0:18 & 1:24

jE07jlcEamA

----------

Pastore shows great composure in this video, below, in scoring his sides 3rd goal. A great cross to the back post finds Pastore in space. Instead of striking it first time and potentially mucking the chance up, he makes the defender look silly with a sharp turn before neatly nutmegging the goalkeeper. Pastore also makes an assist in this game but, due to the poor quality video, I'm not sure which one it is.

Pastore goal, 1:32

knwtqrw8uTQ

----------

MANCUELLO, Federico

federicomancuello_201268.jpg

Stats

Name: MANCUELLO, Federico

Club: Independiente

D.O.B.: 23/06/89

Position: LM/CM

Squad Number: 28

+8 --> 83

Mancuello has really burst on to the scene this Clausura. After very little game time before this calendar year, Mancuello has racked up an impressive amount of starts and minutes this term, grabbing two goals and an assist along the way. He has impressed many with his play and is being tipped for big things in the future. Unfortunately, he has missed the last two games through injury. I believe that this is just a minor injury, so hopefully he will bounce back from this in the next week or two. If he can get a few more games under his belt before the Clausura ends, I could easily envisage an increase to 84 being on the cards, but keep him anyway, as he has the potential to go higher.

Federico Mancuello is a promising, young, Argentine midfielder who has broken into the Independiente first team this Clausura. He plays primarily on the left but can also adapt his game well in a holding role in central midfield. After several years development in "El Rojo's" youth team, Mancuello was included on the substitutes bench for the final game of the 2008 Apertura at home to Arsenal de Serandi. Coach Miguel Santoro gave Mancuello a run out for the last 10 minutes or so in a game Independiente lost 2-1 to round off a largely disappointing Apertura in which they finished a lowly 18th.

This Season

Santoro again included Mancuello on the subs bench for the opening of the 2009 Clausura against Velez Sarfield. He was given a longer stint on the pitch this time managing 30 minutes of playing time and managing to get a shot on target as a 0-0 draw was played out. The impressive display earned him a starting spot in the following week's fixture - a place which he has kept since. This includes the full 90 minutes in Independiente's impressive 2-0 win against Boca Juniors. He has played every game but one that he has started on the left-hand side of midfield (he started his first game in central midfield before being moved out wide the following week). He possesses a strong left foot with which he can produce good quality crosses and has a good eye for goal (see video's below). He, along with Daniel Montenegro have been the standout performers for Independiente this Clausura, which has seen some very up and down form for the team as a whole in terms of results. Mancuello is a very talented younster and has the potential to go a lot further in his career.

2008 Apertura

Total Mins: 8

2009 Clausura

Starts: 11

Total Mins: 904

Goals: 2

Shots (On Target): 19 (12)

----------

The following video shows Mancuello whipping in a dangerous cross from the right hand side with his left boot. His free-kick finds Leandro Gioda in space to nod home and put Independiente in the lead.

Mancuello Assist, 0:00

sBHCGC2So88

----------

This second video shows Mancuello's first career goal in the 5-1 humbling defeat at the hand's of a Jose Sand inspired Lanus outfit. Sergio Vittor's long-range effort deflects kindly into the path of Mancuello, who reacts well and produces a very composed finish into the right-hand corner, almost passing the ball past the 'keeper. A nice finish.

Mancuello goal, 1:23

Myte2OeE7es

----------

This next goal from the very next week's game by Mancuello is even more impressive. Following De Federico's opener for Huracan, Mancuello responds almost immediately by dispossessing his opponent, striding forward, before unleashing a powerful shot into the top left hand corner. You wouldn't really expect to aim there, and neither did the 'keeper. But he executed his shot excellently with aplomb.

Mancuello goal, 1:03

u1K8vULzhUE

----------

VITTOR, Sergio

vittor-369.jpg

Stats

Name: VITTOR, Sergio

Club: Independiente

D.O.B.: 09/06/89

Position: CM

Squad Number: 29

+3 --> 77

Sergio Vittor in another one of Independiente's promising young midfielders along with Mancuello. Vittor tends to hold a holding midfield role in the centre of the park, restricting his opportunities to go forward, although he has appeared on the right-hand side of midfield before. However, at 187cm tall, Vittor makes a very commanding presence. With Inde struggling in the 2008 Apertura, coach Santoro looked at blooding youngsters Vittor and Mancuello for experience, what with little to play for in the league. Vittor first appeared for Inde in the 1-0 defeat to Tigre, playing the full 90 minutes. He went on to make a further two starts that season, plus being brought on at half-time against Godoy. In a 2009 Torneo de Verano (Spanish for summer tournaments, i.e. a pre-season tournament), Vittor made 3 starts as Inde posted impressive wins over San Lorenzo and Racing Club, sandwiching a 1-1 draw against River Plate. Vittor's impressive performances led him to earn a starting role for the season opener in February.

This Season

Vittor started the season well, making the stating line-up for the first 3 games of the Clausura. After a promising 0-0 against Velez, with a good performance by Vittor along the way, Inde crashed to a 3-0 defeat at San Martin. Vittor, along with Mancuello, however were the only ones to keep their place in the starting XI for the following week's fixture against Racing Club. Unfortunately, Vittor picked up an injury in this game, forcing him to depart after 54 minutes. Vittor left Inde in a strong, 1-0, winning position - a match they went on to win 2-0. Vittor has been out ever since, but did make the substitute's bench for last weekend's game against Newell's. Hopefully, Vittor can reclaim his place in the next week or so.

2008 Apertura

Starts: 3

Total Mins: 315

Shots (On Target): 1 (1)

2009 Clausura

Starts: 5

Total Mins: 390

Shots (On Target): 2 (1)

----------

FORMICA, Mauro

Discovered here by BenReado:

Mauro Formica

Stats

C_3_Media_707437_immagine_det.jpg

Name: FORMICA, Mauro

Club: Newell's Old Boys

D.O.B.: 04/04/88

Position: AM/Fwd

Squad Number: 33

+8 --> 83

Mauro Formica is an exciting talent who is showing fast signs of development this Clausura. Younger brother of Lautaro Formica who plays for Godoy, he made his debut for Newell's at the age of just 18 against Colon. He was on the bench for many games of the 2007 Apertura, only to be an unused substitute. However, he did make a couple of appearances from the bench, along with one start against Banfield. However, Newell's were crushed 4-0 by a rampant Banfield outfit and Dario Cvitanich in particular, who bagged a first-half 17-minute hat-trick. Formica has few chances to shine in this match and was restricted to fleeting appearances to the following Clausura, but always offered the odd flash of brilliance to underline his potential. It was at the end of the 2008 Apertura, however, where he really grabbed his chance. On as a substitute against Racing, he grabbed a goal as Newell's sealed a comprehensive 3-0 victory. This, along with other off-season developments, enabled him to grab a starting role for the following Clausura. Formica also has four appearances for the Argentinian under-17's under his belt, grabbing two goals in that time.

This Season

This Clausura, he was given his chance by starting the opening game of the season against Gimnasia la Plata. Formica grabbed this chance with both hands, scoring twice, the second of which was an abosolute beauty - see below. This got the Argentinian press talking and sealed his place in the starting XI. After Newell's won the first two games of the Clausura and sat at the top of the table, they have been on a bad run of late, picking up just 3 points out of a possible 15. Formica's goals dried up and he lost his place in the side against Independiente in round 7. However, on a substitute, he grabbed a goal to give his side a lifeline, although, ultimately, it was to no avail as Newell's were crushed 4-1. Hopefully, the goal was enough to give Formica a place back in the side for round 8 of the Clausura.

2007-2008

Starts: 4

Total Mins: 380

Shots (On Target): 2 (1)

2009 Clausura

Starts: 12

Total Mins: 1007

Goals: 5

Shots (On Target): 22 (12)

----------

The first of a series of videos is of Formica scoring on the final day of the Apertura against Racing Club. The first goal of the game, he receives the ball in space in the area, makes a defender look silly with a sharp turn before slotting past the keeper comfortably. Nice goal. To skip to a zoomed in replay where it's clearer, fast forward to 54 seconds.

Formica goal, 0:00

phep-h1xl58

----------

Below is a video showing Formica scoring twice on the opening weekend of the Clausura. He actually only had two shots on goal in the whole of this game - quite an impressive strike rate to start the season! The first shows a neat finish as he turns in a cross from the right first time on the half-volley. He does well to anticipate the near-post cross and finishes with aplomb. His second is something much more special. Apologies for the poor quality video and the lack of a replay, but you can clearly see Formica audaciously chipping the opposing goalkeeper from a full 30 yards.

WATCH THIS (2:01)

Two Formica Goals, 0:00 & 2:01

F2aDRkpiD-8

----------

The final video shows Formica scoring in Newell's crushing defeat to Inde in round 7 of the Clausura. Not as impressive as the last vid, but he really shows a poacher's instinct to stap the ball home from close range. The goal made the game 2-1 and could have given Newell's a way back into the game, but it wasn't to be.

Formica goal, 1:17

KY7AfnYGHAE

----------

The following is a quote from the website goal.com, who included Formica in their team of the week for Round 9 of the Clausura after he helped his Newell's side to a 1-1 draw away to Tigre grabbing the assist in this game:

Mauro Formica (Newell's)

Formica was very impressive in the Newell's midfield, and the only way Tigre could stop him was with infringements. He was the key organiser of his side throughout the game and did a very good job of this.

----------

PILLUD, Ivan

610x.jpg

(Pillud is shown on the right of the picture)

Stats

Name: PILLUD, Ivan

D.O.B.: 24/04/86

Position: RB

Squad Number: 2

+7 --> 82

Although SM has this guy listed as Ivan Pillud, I have another source calling him Ignacio Pillud, so I do hope he's the same person! I'm not sure what the story behind that is. Anyhow, Pillud is another player to make a name for himself after a fair few years in the shadows, having to wait until the age of 22 before making his debut. Although his primary position is at RB, he can also play further forward in midfield. He was an unused substitute in 8 games during the 2008 Apertura before he finally came off the bench at half-time against Velez Sarsfield to replace captain Rolando Schiavi. Schiavi, out for the rest of the season through injury was replaced by Pillud for the final two games, taking up the right-back position. Pillud performed solidly as NOB finished a repectable 5th.

This Season

Pillud started the season strongly starting the first 6 games of the Clausura, completing a full 90 minutes in each game. Interestingly, however, Pillud was dropped for last weekend's game against Independiente - a game in which they were comfortably beaten 4-1. I would be shocked if Pillud did not return to the starting line-up after such a disappointing display from los leprosas. Nicolas Spolli, the CB, also got sent off in this fixture, further leading me to believe he will return next weekend.

2008 Apertura

Total Mins:

2009 Clausura

Starts: 13

Total Mins: 1169

----------

SPERDUTTI, Mauricio

Stats

Name: SPERDUTTI, Mauricio

D.O.B.: 16/02/86

Positions: RM/CM

Squad Number: 17

SM Rating: 78

+3 --> 81

This Season

2008 Apertura

Sub Apps: 13

Total Mins: 341

This Clausura

Starts: 8

Total Mins: 730

----------

AVELDANO, Lucas

Stats

Name: AVELDANO, Lucas

Club: Racing Club

D.O.B.: 19/07/85

Positions: CB

Squad Number: 6

+8 --> 82

Lucas Aveldano is a tall centre-back, plying his trade for Racing Club. Aveldano arrived at Racing in a transfer from Argentine Second Division side Aletico de Rafaela in July 2008. My sources don't indicate to me that he played any games for this side, but I would be very surprised if he didn't, with him spending 3 years with the side. Aveldano made several appearances in the 2008 Apertura, starting on three occasions and coming on as a substitute twice. Racing had an indifferent Apertura, finishing 14th, and Aveldano found it difficult to make a great impression on his game. However, brief glimpes clearly showed that he had the raw talent and sufficient skills to improve as a central defender.

This Season

This Clausura, Aveldano has clearly made a breakthrough in his progression as a player. Aveldano has struck up a strong relationship with fellow centre-back Alfredo Matias Martinez (see below) as Racing have gradually begun to improve up the league table. It seem to coincidence to me that Racing's improval has coincided with these two player's marshalling the centre of defence. Racing have not let in a goal in the last four fixtures in which Aveldano has played, including wins against River Plate and Rosario Central, and a solid draw against Estudiantes.

2008 Apertura

Starts: 3

Sub Apps: 2

Total Mins: 300

Clean Sheets: 2

2009 Clausura

Total Mins: 1127

Clean Sheets: 6

----------

MATIAS MARTINEZ, Alfredo

Stats

Name: MATIAS MARTINEZ, Alfredo

Club: Racing Club

D.O.B.: 24/02/88

Position: CB

Squad Number: 34

SM Rating: 72

+11 --> 83

Alfredo Matias Martinez is a young, tall centre-back, who can also, and has appeared at left-back. The younger of the two centre-backs which have forced their way into the reckoning this Clausura, Matias Martinez has come through the youth ranks at Racing. He featured sparingly in the 2008 Clausura and the 2008 Apertura, making 4 substitutes appearances and one start. That start was the one game he started at left-back, as he filled in for the regular full-back who was absent with injury. In pre-season, Matias Martinez featured in a game against San Lorenzo in the Torneo de Verano, where he netted the winning goal. This impressive performance helped him nail down a starting spot on the opening day of the Clausura.

This Season

Racing endured a shocking start to the Clausura, losing 4-1 at home to Huracan. Matias Martinez in fact gave Racing the lead with a good header, only for Huracan to run away with the rest of the game. Matias Martinez' poor defensive performance led to him being omitted from the starting line-up the following week, but he regained his place in the side for the game against Argentinos Juniors. Since then, despite another heavy loss to Tigre, Racing's defensive displays have generally improved dramatically, mainly due to Matias Martinez and Aveldano forging such a strong partnership in the centre of defence. Like Aveldano, Matias Martinez has featured in the all of the last four games - all of which Racing managed to keep a clean sheet.

2008 Clausura/Apertura

Sub Apps: 2

Total Mins: 102

Clean Sheets: 0

2009 Clausura

Total Mins: 1077

Goals: 3

Clean Sheets: 5

----------

Below is a video of Matias Martinez scoring in the Torneo de Verano against San Lorenzo in January. In what was a tight game against two evenly-matched sides on the day, the tall centre-half settled things with a powerful header in the second half, directing his header well and out of reach of the opposing goalkeeper.

Matias Martinez goal, 1:37

zPIw9gyM6e4

----------

This second video shows Matias Martinez' first professional goal, scoring what only proved to be a consolation goal in the end, as Racing were thrashed 4-1 by Huracan. Again from a set-piece (0:00, first goal), he rises well to dispatch a well-placed downward header into the bottom corner to give Racing the lead.

Matias Martinez goal, 0:00

G6lmSyYIiOw

----------

BURDISSO, Guillermo

8700.jpg

Stats

Name: BURDISSO, Guillermo

Club: Rosario Central

D.O.B.: 24/04/88

Position: CB

Squad Number: 28

SM Rating: 76

+5 --> 81

You think you recognise the name? Yes, he is the younger brother of Inter Milan defender, Nicolas Burdisso. At a very heady 190cm tall, he is a towering presence in the air. Little is known really about Burdisso, as he has solely burst on to the scene this Clausura. He has no prior experience of professional, first-team football. I hope to find more information about his background as the season progresses.

This Season

After Rosario made a poor start to the Clausura, picking up a solitary point from their first three games, Burdisso was thrown into action in the defeat to Banfield. It is unknown whether Walter Ribonetto, who Burdisso has replaced in the side, was dropped or injured by the time of this fixture. However, after not being in the squad at all against Banfield, Ribonetto has been an unused substitute since then. Against Banfield, Burdisso showed promise and also collected a consolation goal towards the end, with the game already lost. He earned himself a starting space for the following week and has kept his place since. He scored in his second game, helped his side keep a clean sheet in the 5-0 drubbing of Arsenal and helped his team to a good point in the 1-1 draw against Velez. It appears that Burdisso has replaced Ribonetto in the Rosario first XI for the foreseeable future.

2009 Clausura

Total Mins: 999

Clean Sheets: 4

Red Cards: 1

----------

In Burdisso's debut for Rosario, he nodded in a late consolation goal in a 3-1 defeat to Banfield. What I think is most impressive from this clip is the height he manages to get on his jump, challenging - and beating - the onrushing goalkeeper to the cross.

Debut Burdisso goal, 1:54

A0LGyg0m0wM

----------

In the very next fixture, Burdisso grabs his second career goal from as many appearances. After San Lorenzo take the lead, Burdisso inspires a Rosario comeback by heading the equaliser from a corner. He meets the ball well before connecting with a powerful header leaving the keeper with no chance.

Burdisso goal, 1:11

VycoucohqYU

----------

CARAGLIO, Milton

Stats

Name: CARAGLIO, Milton

Club: Rosario Central

D.O.B.: 01/12/88

Position: Fwd

Squad Number: 17

SM Rating: 80

+2 --> 82

Milton Caraglio is a tall, strong, athletic striker who has started the 2009 Clausura in great form. Excellent in the air, good on the ball and with a hefty shot in his locker, he could well be one of the top strikers in the whole Argentine league this year. Caraglio is the highest rated player on the list with a rating of 80 from SM. This is due to the fact that he has in fact been around for a while, making his debut for Rosario on 17/03/07, aged just 18. He started, playing the full 90 minutes in the 1-0 defeat to eventual champions to San Lorenzo, putting in a promising display, getting all 3 of his shots, on target. He made 3 more starts and 4 more substitute appearances that Clausura, at a time when Angel Di Maria still graced the Argentinian league. Unfortunately, despite the odd flash of promise, he was never really able to grab his opportunities with both hands and convert his starts into goals. Caraglio went into wilderness so to speak for the next year of so as he was restricted to youth team games, with two solitary substitutes appearances for the first team in the 2008 Clausura. However, he came back to the fore that Apertura as he began to stake a claim in the senior side. A series of sustitute appearances and starts, along with a couple of goals tempted SM to give him a rise to 80.

This Season

This season, Caraglio has started all 7 games, scoring 4 along the way. His place in the side is secure and, if he continues his goalscoring form, will be set for a good rise into the mid-80's this summer. He continues to impress with his strength, flair and heading ability and looks like a force to be reckoned with this Clausura. Although the most expensive player to buy out of my list, I would seriously recommend signing him as his value could skyrocket.

2007-2008

Starts: 10

Sub Apps: 8

Total Mins: 1107

Goals: 3

Shots (On Target): 21 (12)

2009 Clausura

Total Mins: 1102

Goals: 4

Shots (On Target): 21 (13)

----------

Below is a video showcasing good, extended footage of Rosario's 2-0 win over Huracan, with Caraglio netting the second goal. After a nice ball over the top, Caraglio controls well before calmly slotting past the keeper - a very composed finish. There is a couple of earlier clips in this video of Caraglio missing a couple of chances, but getting in good positions in the box for those chances.

Caraglio goal, 2:54

nP4HIXDFuw0

----------

This video shows Caraglio's second senior goal - a good, powerful, well-placed, header into the corner which left the goalkeeper with no chance.

Caraglio goal, 0:22

2AtVI83M2gA

----------

The third video shows Caraglio's last goal of the Apertura, a brave header at the near post, powerfully heading past the goalkeeper at his near post.

Caraglio goal, 0:00

4_dq8qec2tY

----------

This is Caraglio's first goal of the Clausura, taking advantage of the keeper being slow off his line to slot past him well from an acute angle.

Caraglio goal, 0:00

B2x33pC0EOo

----------

These are in my opinion Caraglio's best goals and why you should be excited about this player. His first (0:00, first clip) is an impressively powerful strike from the left had side of the box. The sheer pace of the shot beats the goalkeeper when you think it wouldn't with it being from such an angle. His second (0:50) displays Caraglio flair and athleticism. With the Arsenal defence in disarray trying to clear the ball, Caraglio shows no mercy in despatching the high ball with an impressive bycicle kick past the keeper, rushing back to his line. Top finish.

Two Caraglio goals, 0:00 & 0:50

gB6Lpa9twwQ

----------

This last video shows Caraglio's 4th of the season to leave him joint 2nd in the goalscoring charts. Latching on to a cross from the left, Caraglio finishes well, although does have a kind bounce into the top corner via the turf to thank.

Caraglio goal, 0:39

tnuTfsiQfNo

----------

CHAVEZ, Christian

No more images I'm afraid!

Stats

Name: CHAVEZ, Christian

Club: San Lorenzo

B.O.B.: 04/06/87

Postion: AM/LM

Squad Number: 24

SM Rating: 73

+5 --> 78

I was fairly surprised by Chavez' very low rating of 73 on SM when I found out how many times he has played for San Lorenzo, so I'm not sure if he is quite new to the database. He has been making appearances, although fleetingly, for over a year now, making his debut on 07/03/08 against Racing Club as a substitute. Chavez turned out to be a lucky charm for San Lorenzo as los santos won or drew every game in which Chavez appeared. This included one appearance in the Copa Libertadores as a late substitute against Real Potosi. When Chavez came on, his side were 2-0 down, but he helped turn the game on it's head as San Lorenzo made a fantastic comeback to win 3-2, with Chavez scoring the second goal. As the 2008 Apertura began, Chavez was restricted to a bench role, making infrequent appearances, but scoring once with a smart header in the emphatic 4-1 win over Huracan. Chavez also made another, brief, substitutes appearance in a.Copa Sudamericana defeat to Argentinos Juniors.

This Season

Chavez has began to make more of an impression on the first team this Clausura, but he is yet to nail down a starting role. He has started 3 games this season but he has yet to finish a game. If you see the first link below, you may see why as his end product is often off target. However, he possesses fantastic dribbling ability and, if he can develop his shooting ability, he may be able to command a starting role week in, week out. In addition to his Clausura appearances this season, Chavez has also made two appearances from the substitutes bench in the Copa Libertadores, both of which were lost 1-0.

2008 Clausura/Apertura

Total Mins: 310

Shots (On Target): 8 (5)

2009 Apertura

Starts: 5

Total Mins: 484

Shots (On Target): 11 (6)

----------

I found this link, below, which is quite interesting. Although in Spanish, it not only shows some more recent clips of him playing and scoring for San Lorenzo, it also shows some early footage of Chavez as a youngster. These early clips clearly show his talent at a young age as he shows tremendous close control and vision. The clips in the latter part of the video are mixed with Chavez expressing some fantastic dribbling and the odd good shot. However, I consider most of his finishing here pretty woeful, so that's something for him to work on. Also, check out Chavez having a massive bust-up with a team mate over who should take the penalty, before Chavez goes and misses it!!

Chavez highlights, past and present

wlOLh1BHKt8

I should be noted that, although he played a lot on the left hand side of midfield last season, he has tended to hold more of an attacking role this season. With this in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if SM changed his position to Fwd/AM or AM/Fwd.

----------

OTAMENDI, Nicolas

otamendi.jpg

Stats

Name: OTAMENDI, Nicolas

Club: Velez Sarsfield

D.O.B.: 12/02/88

Position: CB/RB

+8 --> 83

Nicolas Otamendi is a promising young centre-back who plays for the high-flying Velez Sarsfield. Otamendi has rather been in the shadows at Velez for the past few years with few opportunities to shine at first team level. He slowly but surely, however, began to make infrequent appearances on the substitutes bench, only to be unused against Estudiantes in October last year. He did however come off the bench against Arsenal de Serandi just before half-time as Gaston Diaz withdrew and Otamendi took his place at RB/RWB. However Alejandro Gomez scored for Arsenal in the time Otamendi was on the pitch before half time, and again after the break as Velez squandered their three goal advantage to allow Arsenal to salvage a 3-3 draw. The two goals conceded were both from set pieces which did nothing to help Otamendi's stock and he was promptly replaced by Diaz for the next game and the rest of the season.

This Season

After spending the first two games on the bench of this season's Clausura, Otamendi has taken Waldo Ponce's spot in the starting XI, because of injury. Since then, he has started all 5 games and completed a full 90 minutes in all of them. Out of those 5 matches, Velez won three and drew two with Otamendi helping to keep two clean sheets along the way. Velez are currently 4th in the table and the ONLY team left in Argentina still unbeaten. It should be noted that Waldo Ponce returned to the squad at the weekend against Rosario Central but was an unused substitute. This can only be a good thing if Otamendi it to keep his place in the starting lineup. It is reported in Argentina that Velez coach Ricardo Gareca is tossing and turning on the notion to whether or not Ponce should return to the line-up, or whether Otamendi should keep his place after a string of impressive performances. Here are his career stats for Velez thus far:

2008 Apertura

Total Minutes: 47

2009 Clausura

Total Min: 1170

Clean Sheets: 6

Fouls Commited: 14

----------

The following players have made the odd appearance this Clausura and could be in with a rise. Until they play more regularly or make a decent number of appearances, I won't be doing a profile on them. I will add to this list when appropriate. Be aware though, this list is purely for me to keep an eye on who could be a potential big riser. I woulnd't recommend signing these players just yet as a lot of them have only had one substitute appearance this Clausura.

----------

Name - Club, Position, Age, SM Rating, Starts(Sub Apps), Total Mins, Goals, Assists

----------

ALFONSO, Facundo - ARJ, D, 21, NOT ON DB, 0(1), 18, 0, 0

BOGADO, Mauro - ARJ, RM/CM, 23, 78, 8(0), 595, 0, 0

CANUTO, Ignacio - ARJ, CB/DM, 23, 78, 10(1), 916, 5, 0

CORDOBA, Matias - ARJ, AM/Wing, 24, 79, 1(7), 160, 0, 0

GABRIEL PEREZ, Tarija - ARJ, Fwd, 21, 78, 0(2), 19, 0, 0

OJEDA, Juan Carlos - ARJ, LB/LM, 20, 75, 3(0), 245, 1, 0

RUIS, Ciro - ARJ, Fwd, 24, NOT ON DB, 2(8), 386, 0, 0

SANTIBANEZ, Carlos - ARJ, AM, 22, 78, 3(0), 157, 0, 0

----------

AGUIRRE, Nicolas - ARS, M, 21, NOT ON DB, 0(3), 38, 0, 0

JARA, Franco - ARS, Fwd, 20, 75, 3(4), 312, 1, 1

MUZZICATO, Benedetto - ARS, M, 23, NOT ON DB, 0(7), 114, 0, 0

NERVO, Hugo - ARS, CB, 18, 75, 5(0), 450, 0, 0

SACHETO, N. - ARS, D, NOT ON DB, 1(2), 100, 0, 0

SILVA, Facundo - ARS, M, ??, NOT ON DB, 0(1), 14, 0, 0

----------

CHRISTIAN GARCIA, Andres - BAN, Fwd, 21, 77, 0(2), 51, 0, 0

DOS SANTOS, Mauro - BAN, CB, 19, 74, 2(0), 124, 0, 0

GUSTAVO GOMEZ, Ezequiel - BAN, CM/DM, 22, 74, 1(1), 154, 0, 0

VERGARA, Pablo - BAN, LB/LM, 20, 75, 0(1), 5, 0, 0

----------

BENAVIDEZ, Ezequiel - BOC, DM/CM, 20, 75, 2(4), 225, 0, 0

DROCCO, David - BOC, M, ??, NOT ON DB, 0(1), 21, 0, 0

FONDACARO, Carlos - BOC, LB/RB, 21, 75, 1(0), 64, 0, 0

MUNOZ, Ezequiel - BOC, CB, 18, 78, 2(0), 135, 0, 0

SAURO, Gaston - BOC, D, 19, NOT ON DB, 2(1), 253, 0, 0

----------

BERTOGLIO, Facundo - COL, M, 18, NOT ON DB, 1(1), 97, 0, 0

LEDESMA, L. - COL, Fwd, 21, NOT ON DB, 2(1), 123, 0, 0

MANSILLA, Mauricio - COL, D, 20, NOT ON DB, 1(0), 28, 0, 0

SANCHEZ, F. - COL, D, 19, NOT ON DB, 1(2), 135, 0, 0

SCIORILLI, Sebastien - COL, AM/Fwd, 19, 75, 7(3), 574, 1, 2

----------

CARRASCO, Mauricio - EST, Fwd, 74, 21, 0(2), 32, 0, 0

FERNANDEZ, Federico - EST, CB, 75, 20, 1(5), 172, 2, 0

GAITAN, Christian - EST, M, NOT ON DB, 1(3), 157, 0, 0

IBERBIA, Raul - EST, LB/LM, 20, 75, 6(4), 635, 1, 0

LENTINI, Ramon - EST, CF, 20, 75, 2(2), 150, 0, 0

NUNEZ, Maximiliano - EST, RM/AM, 22, 74, 1(3), 160, 1, 0

ROJO, Marcos Alberto - EST, D, 19, NOT ON DB, 2(0), 180, 0, 0

VALENCIA, Carlos - EST, M, ??, NOT ON DB, 0(1), 13, 1, 0

----------

MIRANDA, Diego - GdJ, Fwd, 23, 78, 5(4), 467, 0, 0

ROMERO, Antonio - GdJ, Fwd, NOT ON DB, 1(0), 45, 0, 0

----------

AUED, Luciano - GlaP, Wing, 22, 75, 1(1), 112, 0, 0

BANGARDINO, Pablo - GlaP, GK, 24, 78, 1(0), 90, 0, 0

MATIRENA, Nestor - GlaP, Fwd, 22, 79, 0(1), 18, 0, 0

NAHUEL CASTRO, Lucas - GlaP, M, 20, NOT ON DB, 0(1), 30, 0, 0

STRACQUALURSI, Denis - GlaP, F, 21, NOT ON DB, 1(3), 124, 0, 0

----------

DIAZ NACHAR, Gonzalo - GOD, M, 19, NOT ON DB, 0(1), 10, 0,0 0

FABRO, Martin - GOD, AM/Wing, 24, 78, 0(1), 15, 0, 0

GARIN, Ernesto - GOD, Wing/Fwd, 23, 76, 0(2), 12, 0, 0

VERA, Jesus - GOD, Fwd, 19, 74, 0(1), 2, 0, 0

----------

CURA, Kevin - HUR, CB, 18, 74, 3(0), 270, 0, 0

FILLIPETTO, Ezequiel Nicolas - HUR, D, 21, NOT ON DB, 4(1), 360, 0, 0

MEDINA, Daniel - HUR, D, ??, NOT ON DB, 0(1), 1, 0, 0

NIETO, Federco Luciano - HUR, Fwd, 18, 75, 0(1), 13, 0, 0

----------

CHURIN, Diego - IND, Fwd, 20, 72, 1(0), 45, 0, 0

DELMONTE, Nicolas - IND, D, 19, NOT ON DB, 1(0), 53, 0, 0

DEPETRIS, Leandro - IND, LM/AM, 21, 75, 0(1), 35, 0, 0

GODOY, Fernando - IND, M, 23, NOT ON DB, 2(1), 185, 0, 0

MAZZOLA, Nicolas - IND, Fwd, 19, NOT ON DB, 2(2), 224, 0, 0

RODRIGUEZ, Patricio - IND, AM/Fwd, 18, 76, 0(3), 56, 0, 2

VIOLA, Mariano - IND, D, 23, NOT ON DB, 3(0), 257, 0, 0

----------

CARRASCO, Jorge - LAN, F, ??, NOT ON DB, 0(1), 32, 0, 0

ERRAMUSPE, Rodrigo - LAN, D, ??, NOT ON DB, 0(1), 1, 0, 0

LUGO, Maximiliano - LAN, M, 19, NOT ON DB, 2(1), 203, 0, 0

MARCHESIN, Agustin Federico - LAN, GK, 21, NOT ON DB, 1(0), 90, 0, 0

MENENDEZ, Christian - LAN, Fwd, 21, 75, 2(6), 243, 1, 0

MACALIK, Ivan Ricardo - LAN, CB, 21, 75, 1(0), 90, 0, 0

ZANINOVIC, M. - LAN, M, 22, NOT ON DB, 0(2), 14, 0, 0

----------

VACA, Carlos - NEW, ??, ??, NOT ON DB, 0(1), 7, 0, 0

----------

CABALLERO, Pablo - RAC, Fwd, 22, 77, 5(6), 570, 1, 0

FERNANDEZ, Jose Luis - RAC, LM, 21, 76, 0(1), 22, 0, 0

LLUY, Brian - RAC, D, 20, NOT ON DB, 5(2), 481, 0, 0

PEREZ, Gonzalo - RAC, M, NOT ON DB, 1(1), 88, 0, 0

SANCHEZ, Juan Ignacio - RAC, CF, 21, 76, 0(2), 44, 0, 0

----------

ALFONSO ORBON, Lucas - RIV, D, ??, NOT ON DB, 1(0), 90, 0, 0

BOU, Gustavo - RIV, Fwd/AM, 19, 78, 1(2), 82, 0, 0

FERNANDEZ, Gustavo - RIV, GK, 18, NOT ON DB, 0(2), ??, 0, 0

LIZIO, Damian - RIV, M, ??, NOT ON DB, 0(1), 8, 0, 0

MAURO DIAZ, Alberto - RIV, AM, 18, 77, 5(1), 305, 1, 0

PERIERA, Roberto - RIV, F, ??, NOT ON DB, 0(1), 26, 0, 0

VILLALBA, Daniel - RIV, Fwd, 16, 72, 0(1), 19, 0, 0

----------

GOMEZ, Jonathan David - ROS, AM, 19, 77, 0(1), 0, 0, 0

VALENTINI, Nahuel - ROS, D, 20, NOT ON DB, 1(2), 197, 0, 0

----------

BORDAGARY, Fabian - SAN, Fwd, ??, NOT ON DB, 3(1), 239, 1, 1

DE VICO, Nahuel - SAN, D, ??, NOT ON DB, 0(1), 12, 0, 0

CENTENO, Bruno Emiliano - SAN, GK, 20, NOT ON DB, 1(0), 90, 0, 0

JUAREZ, Axel - SAN, M, ??, NOT ON DB, 1(1), 113, 0, 0

MARTINEZ, Damien - SAN, M, 19, NOT ON DB, 1(2), 122, 0, 0

PEIRONE, Hernan - SAN, Fwd, 22, 79, 0(1), 2, 0, 0

REYNOSO, Salvador - SAN, M, 21, NOT ON DB, 1(1), 47, 0, 0

----------

IBANEZ, Antonio - SMT, M, 23, NOT ON DB, 0(3), 49, 0, 0

NARESE, Ezequiel - SMT, ??, ??, NOT ON DB, 0(1), 19, 0, 0

PERUGINI, Marcelo - SMT, CM, 25, 75, 2(4), 221, 1, 2

SERRANO, Jorge - SMT, CM, 25, 78, 8(2), 853, 0, 0

----------

ABREGU, Ezequiel - TIG, Fwd, ??, NOT ON DB, 1(1), 68, 0, 0

BOTTA, R. - TIG, Fwd, 19, NOT ON DB, 1(1), 68, 0, 0

OLIVA, Maximiliano - TIG, LB/CB, 19, 74, 1(1), 155, 0, 0

OVIEDO, Lucas - TIG, RM, 77, 23, 2(2), 183, 0, 0

PUMPIDO, Facundo - TIG, Fwd, ??, NOT ON DB, 0(1), 0, 0, 0

VILLEGAS, Mauro - TIG, Fwd, 24, 79, 0(5), 87, 0, 0

----------

BELLA, Ivan - VEL, RM, 19, 78, 0(1), 28, 0, 0

CANTEROS, Hector - VEL, M, 20, NOT ON DB, 0(2), 10, 0, 0

VELAZQUEZ, Leandro - VEL, Wing/Fwd, 20, 74, 4(3), 344, 0, 2

Note to self: Investigate RAMIREZ, Alfredo - contradicting stats.

I will continue to add to this and complete unfinished reports when I get time.

Re: MANCUELLO, Federico

I had this guy added a while back :)

Info wise, you've pretty much got him covered.

If you don't watch the game, Mancuello is particularly gifted, and can play on both the left and in a holding role. He isn't covering for any injuries, he is in the team on merit and looks good to stay there. That would give him a rise to 83/84. He can go a lot further than that though.

Independiente's manager, Santoro, departed yesterday, which means with a new manager, a mix up could ensue. I imagine Mancuello will keep his spot though, he has been outstanding for Inde this Claus, second only to Dani Montenegro, who has just been called up to NT to replace Riquelme.

I had this guy added a while back :)

Info wise' date=' you've pretty much got him covered.

If you don't watch the game, Mancuello is particularly gifted, and can play on both the left and in a holding role. He isn't covering for any injuries, he is in the team on merit and looks good to stay there. That would give him a rise to 83/84. He can go a lot further than that though.

Independiente's manager, Santoro, departed yesterday, which means with a new manager, a mix up could ensue. I imagine Mancuello will keep his spot though, he has been outstanding for Inde this Claus, second only to Dani Montenegro, who has just been called up to NT to replace Riquelme.[/quote']

That's good to hear. I'd seen a few, very short clips of him but was unsure of his long-term potential. Hopefully he can stay injury free and that he can stay on course for a good rise in the summer time.

Feel free to add updates to this thread Radebe regarding Mancuello (e.g. if he gets injured). I thought it was probably best to create this thread before you report about him in your Argentinian Analysis thread - I'm just stealing a bit of your glory!!! :D

P.S. Why did Santoro lose his job? Inde seem to have made a solid start to the Clausura, don't they?

That's good to hear. I'd seen a few' date=' very short clips of him but was unsure of his long-term potential. Hopefully he can stay injury free and that he can stay on course for a good rise in the summer time.

Feel free to add updates to this thread Radebe regarding Mancuello (e.g. if he gets injured). I thought it was probably best to create this thread before you report about him in your Argentinian Analysis thread - I'm just stealing a bit of your glory!!! :D

P.S. Why did Santoro lose his job? Inde seem to have made a solid start to the Clausura, don't they?[/quote']

Yeh they're playing a little better now, despite a few freak results, but they're not the force they used to be. And my fault for not being quicker with the thread!

Anyway, Santoro didn't lose his job, he resigned. Infact, the Inde chairman was said to be begging him to stay, but his mind was made up.

I've update this thread with another Argentinian youngster who's come to prominence this Clausura, Nicolas Otamendi. I'm considering adding to this with a number of other Argentinian youngsters who are making waves in Argentina. Could one of the moderators please change the name of the thread to "Highly Rated Argentinians"? I don't think I'm able to do it myself but I may be mistaken.

I swear you must have hacked my laptop! Your writing about all these players that I've had added :P

Best hurry up with my own thread before you find too many of them :D

Haha, afraid not...I'm really not that clever! However, I do have some more up my sleeve. ;)

Great thread mate, buying a couple of these now. :). 2 more uruguayans can be seen here

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?p=557644#post557644

By the way, i've already made a post on Sciorilli, long time ago, updated after every game if you want to check it out.

worth taking a look at ;) repped

Re: Young Argentine Talent

Right, just to update, I have finished the profiles on all of the players that I added yesterday along with a couple more. I have quickly put up the names and stats of the last few players who have burst on to the scene this Clausura and will be doing a full profile on each of them slowly but surely.

I hope it is proving to be a good read. :)

P.S. Thanks to BenReado for changing the title of the thread.

Mauro Formica's profile now finished, complete with a set of videos showcasing his goals. There's a couple of good ones in there. ;)

Also finished are the profiles of Milton Caraglio and Ivan Marcone. Caraglio in particular looks like someone to look out for this season.

I'll complete the last three reports tomorrow.

Bump! My thread has slipped well down the pecking order on PTS during the long International break, so I think it deserves another look for those who havn't found it yet.

I have updated the stats for the players who have featured in this weekend's games so far. Here are the results at this point in the weekend:

Matchday 8

Friday, 3rd April '09:

Arsenal 1-1 San Lorenzo

Huracan 0-1 Colon

Saturday, 4th April '09:

Racing 1-0 River Plate

Gimnasia de Jujuy 1-1 Tigre

Newell's 1-1 Argentinos

Velez 2-1 Banfield

Unfortunately for Ivan Marcone, he was unable to keep his place in the Arsenal side, warming the bench for 90 minutes as they posted a decent point against San Lorenzo. Luciano Leguizamon (Fwd, 87) continued his fine start to the Clausura with his 6th goal of the season. Interestingly, an unknown defender to me, Hugo Nervo (not on DB), made what I believe to be his debut for Arsenal today. He is someone who I will be investigating in the next few days. Franco Jara (Fwd, 20yo, 75) made his first start of the Clausura after a handful of substitute appearances. He made a decent contribution, providing the assist for Leguizamon's goal. Another one making his debut for for San Lorenzo was Damien Martinez, lining up at full-back - he is also not on the DB.

Gaston Monzon and Javier Pastore got another 90 minutes under their belts in the defeat to Colon last night; a win which takes Colon to the top of the table, until tomorrow at least, that is - Lanus could well retake that lead in their match against Independiente tomorrow evening. Matias De Federico also got a good stint of 81 minutes on the field. As I expected, Fabian Castillo, again failed to regain his spot in the Colon squad, not even making the bench, although I'm not sure if he was injured for this fixture.

The big surprise of Saturday was Racing's impressive 1-0 victory over River Plate. Lucas Aveldano and Matias Martinez again put in terrific displays to keep another clean sheet for Racing who have picked up incredibly of late. The result, Racing's second win of the season lifts them out of the drop-zone, temporarily at least. It is with no doubt that Aveldano and Martinez have helped contribute to shoring Racing's leaky defence since replacing Peppino and Mercado in the heart of the defence. Franco Zuculini, a big riser in the last rating changes, made his first start of Clausura in this game as Racing caused a huge upset against 3rd placed River Plate.

Also in this game, 19-year-old Brian Lluy (not on DB) made his first start of the season at full-back after a couple of previous substitute appearances. Meanwhile, Pablo Caballero (Fwd, 22yo,77) played the full 90 minutes in his 3rd start of the season.

I'll update the thread after tomorrow's fixtures and hope to post videos of all the weekend's games when possible.

Bold Red - indicates player on thread watchlist.

Bold Italics - indicates player with pontential to make it on thread watchlist.

Italics - indicates any other player who is unlikely to make it on thread watchlist

Andy :)

Here's a round-up of Sunday's fixtures. Each has a link showing the goals to each game:

Matchday 8

Sunday, 5th April '09:

Gimnasia la Plata 1-1 Estudiantes

San Martin 0-1 Rosario

It what was a weekend of rather unexciting games in terms of goals, Lanus, and most importantly Jose Sand (Fwd, 28, 90), destroyed Independiente 5-1 in the final game of the day. Sand was in deadly form, despatching any chance that came his way, including three goals in the last 15 minutes of the game as Inde completely fell apart. On the plus side for Inde was a first goal for Federico Mancuello, slotting in an equaliser calmly after the ball broke to him nicely. Sergio Vittor also got another start under his belt, but was withdrawn from the came after 56 minutes in a double sunstitution move.

Estudiantes grabbed a point with a late equaliser from substitute Christian Sanchez Prette (CM, 23, 86) ina fiery encounter which saw 9 yellow cards and 2 reds. Raul Iberbia (LB/LM, 20, 75) made his third start of the Clausura for Estudiantes in this fixture and he is one I will strongly look at adding to the shortlist in the next few days.

Boca dropped another two points at home to Godoy after Leandro Caruso's (Fwd, 27, 83) stunning effort from outside the area cancelled out Nicolas Gaitan's (AM/LM, 21,82) opener to give Godoy a muchly-deserved point. Highly-rated Ezequiel Benavidez made another substitutes appearance for Boca, coming on in the second half for his fourth appearance of the term. He's another who I will look to add to the shortlist sooner, rather than later.

Rosario continued their decent form with an away win over San Martin, despite San Martin dominating the game in terms of chances. In fact, it was only due to a spectacular own goal from Jorge Luis Anchen (RM/RB, 28, 82) that gave Rosario the three points. Guillermo Burdisso continued his fine form in another accomplished performance. Hopefully he will be added to the DB soon. Milton Caraglio couldn't continue his fine goalscoring form, but did get another good stint on the pitch before being withdrawn late in the game.

Italics - indicates any other player who is unlikely to make it on thread watchlist.

After sending a ticket in a couple of days ago after Guillermo Burdisso had completed his 5th successive start (he has totalled 450 minutes exactly!), SM have responded by adding him to the DB with a rating of 76. I like the look of this guy and he has made a great start to the Clausura with Rosario's form picking up just as he's begun to play regularly. If he can keep his place in the side for the rest of the Clausura, he should be in for a considerable rise when the Argentinian ratings come around again. Buy him! :)

I've updated the stats for each player the weekend's games. Here's a review of the weekend's games indicating which of our Argentine youngsters played a part, each with a video of the game's highlights:

Matchday 9

Friday, 9th April '09:

Tigre 1-1 Newell's Old Boys

Argentinos Juniors finally managed to obtain their first win of the Clausura in an impressive win over high-flyers Lanus. Ignacio Canuto got them off to a great start with an early strike before being pegged back just before half time. Striker Gabriel Hauche sealed the win early in the second half for his first of the Clausura, with Argentinos managing to hold on for the rest of game. Christian Menendez (Fwd, 21, 75) made a late appearance as a substitute as Lanus tried to find an equaliser in vain.

Meanwhile, Tigre and Newell's Old Boys played out a 1-1 draw - Newell's 5th of the calendar year. Mauro Formica and Ivan Pillud both made lasting contributions to the game, with the latter being withdrawn towards the end of the game. Formica, in fact, was heavily involved in Newell's goal and grabbed his second assist of the Clausura. Both of the aforementioned were issued a yellow card, also.

Two youngsters who played a large chunk of the game for Tigre were R. Botta (19, NOT ON DB)and Maximiliano Oliva. Botta is so unknown to me, that I am unsure of his first name at present! Oliva was making his first appearance of the Clausura after a handful of games last Apertura, replacing Pablo Fontanello in the first half due to injury.

Satuday, 10th April '09

Banfield 0-0 San Martin

In Godoy's draw against Gimnasia de Jujuy, only Jesus Vera's brief, cameo appearance from the substitute's bench was noteable.

Federico Mancuello managed his second goal in as many weeks to continue his impressive form this Clausura. Independiente's topsy-turvy form continued as they beat Huracan at home, with in-form Daniel Montengro netting the winner. Matias De Federico gave Huracan an early lead with all three goals coming in the first 15 minutes - it was De Federico's third goal of the Clausura from 9 starts. Javier Pastore and Gaston Monzon again managed a full 90 minutes playing time, as did Sergio Vittor for Independiente. A new name to me, Nicolas Delmonte, started his first game for Inde in this fixture, lining up at full-back, playing 58 minutes before being substituted. Nicolas Mazzola played a large part of the fixture up front, replacing Leonel Rios due to injury.

Fabian Castillo's substitution 20 minutes into the second half helped spark a Colon equaliser and earn the home side a point in their fixture against Arsenal de Serandi. He replaced Sebastian Sciorilli who was making his third start of the Clausura. Alfredo Ramirez also made his 8th appearance of the Clausura, departing at the same time as Sciorilli. For Arsenal, Ivan Marcone was left on the bench again and was unused. More optimistically, Hugo Nervo made his second consecutive start after coming out of nowhere for his debut last week. Franco Jara made his 5th appearance of the Clausura and netted Arsenal goal, while Nicolas Aguirre made a late substitutes appearance.

Banfield and San Martin played out a drab, goalless draw, in which James Rodriguez made a cameo appearance towards the end of the game.

Sunday, 11th April '09

San Lorenzo 0-1 Velez Sarsfield

Nicolas Otamendi continued his fine run of form in the Velez defence as his side maintained their unbeaten record for this Clausura, narrowly beating San Lorenzo 1-0. Gaston Diaz remains on the bench for the now top of the league side, meaning Otamendi seems to have won this battle for the position. If Velez can keep up this great from, Otamendi is sure for a big rise come the Summer time. Christian Chavez was relegated to the bench for this fixture, but entered the fray at half-time. Unfortunately, he still doesn't seemed to have found his shooting boots yet and his dry spell without a goal continues. Midfielder Damien Martinez followed up his start in last week's fixture with a cameo appearance as a substitute and Velez winger Leandro Velazquez made his first start of the Clausura.

Boca Juniors indifferent form this Clausura with a defeat to struggling Estudiantes. Gaston Fernandez first-half strike helped lift the home side of the bottom of the table and condemn Boca to their 4th defeat of the Clausura. Young left-back Raul Iberbia kept his place in the side and helped Estudiantes to their third clean sheet of the season. In fairness to Boca, they were fielding a highly weakened team, with youngster Gaston Sauro making his full debut, Ezequiel Munoz his first start of the Clausura (albeit with 4 Copa Sudamerica starts beforehand) along with other notable, regular starters missing. Ezequiel Benavidez made fifth appearance of the Clausura from the bench.

Lucas Aveldano and Alfredo Matias Martinez continuted their fine run of form, along with Racing's fine run of form, as Racing won 1-0 at Rosario Central. It was the fourth consecutive clean sheet for Racing, with the young defenders appearing in all of those games. Guillermo Burdisso and Milton Caraglio also got another 90 minutes under thier belt as Rosario's four-game unbeaten run game to an end. Full-back Nahuel Valentini made his first start of the Clausura, playing the full 90 minutes.

River Plate and Gimnasia la Plata played out an enjoyable 2-2 draw in Buenos Aires. Mauro Alberto Diaz came on as a half-time substitute and scored the equalising goal - the 18-year-old's first for River Plate. Youngster Gustavo Bou also made an appearance for the bench for River Plate. Gimnasia's Denis Stracqualursi made another appearance from the substitutes bench this time as Lucas Nahuel Castro made his first appearance for the club.

Italics - indicates any other player who is unlikely to make it on thread watchlist

Great thread! Wondering if you could tell me something about Christian Gaitan from Estudiantes. Cheers.

Cheers pal. :)

Haven't really seen too much of him really because he's only had 1 start and a couple of substitutes appearances this Clausura, with that start coming at the weekend against San Martin. He is on my list of players at the bottom of the first post that I am keeping an eye on.

But he could be one to watch as he has been performing for the Argentina Under20's at the South American Championships, starting 6 games, scoring once. I haven't really been keeping a close watch on these games though, so I don't know what he's like.