Fed Up With Glory Supporters!

wozza

Re: Fed Up With Glory Supporters!

Well people would call me a glory supporter for supporting Man United' date=' because I live in Ireland and rarely see them play. But TBH I don't care. I grew up to support United just like my Dad (who is Irish but worked in Manchester for years) and when your brought up like that, there isn't much you can do. I don't really support any local team in Ireland. Why? Because the standard of football is appalling. So I'm not offended to be called a glory supporter as I will keep supporting my team anyway.[/quote']

United have a big irish following, on sky sports news, everytime they are interviewing fans of United and asking bout the club etc, I'm honestly telling the truth they are all irish..

Anyone else notice this?

Guest Phill

Well Wozza, I Understand What You Mean But This Is My Story.

My Family Cant STAND Football So I Cant Go To Matches.

My Nearest Football Club, I Cant Even Watch Matches Of Them Playing.

Atleast You Can Watch Your Team Play, As If I Supported That Certain Club I Wouldnt Be Able To Watch Their Goals Etc!

I support Liverpool Because Of Gerrard.

I remember When I Was In Year 3, All Anyone Talked About Was The World Cup. So I Decided To Watch A Match. Dont Remember Which, But It Was England V Someone. I Remember Gerrard Scored 2 I Think. I Thought He Was Amazing, He Was Awesome. So I Decided I Would Follow Gerrard. Liverpool It Was.

My Friends (2 Of Them) Support Manchester United And My Other Supports Blackburn Rovers. He Doesnt Support Them Much, But He Has A Shirt, He Supports Them Because Of His Cousin Lives There. All My Friends (The United Ones) Ever Talked About Was Manchester United Top Of The Table, Winning Against Liverpool, Liverpool Are Rubbish Etc. And When Liverpool Beat Manchester United 4-1 The Other Week, I Felt Amazing :D I Told Them, And What Did They Say? Exuses. "Liverpool Had An Extra Day To Rest From The Champions League" Was One Of The Exuses. Another One Was "Manchester United Didnt Play As Good As They Usually Do, They Had An Off Day!". Pfft :rolleyes:

I Know Liverpool Are A Lot Better Than Derby, But I Know All About United Fans :rolleyes:

Hope You Get why I Support Liverpool Wozza :o

Now To Rest My Fingers... :D (Joke :P )

That Must Be My Longest Post Ever! :D

United have a big irish following' date=' on sky sports news, everytime they are interviewing fans of United and asking bout the club etc, I'm honestly telling the truth they are all irish..

Anyone else notice this?[/quote']

Yes they do. But Liverpool do as well. More people would support them than any team in the Irish league because the quality of football is terrible.

Well Wozza' date=' I Understand What You Mean But This Is My Story.

My Family Cant STAND Football So I Cant Go To Matches.

My Nearest Football Club, I Cant Even Watch Matches Of Them Playing.

Atleast You Can Watch Your Team Play, As If I Supported That Certain Club I Wouldnt Be Able To Watch Their Goals Etc!

I support Liverpool Because Of Gerrard.

I remember When I Was In Year 3, All Anyone Talked About Was The World Cup. So I Decided To Watch A Match. Dont Remember Which, But It Was England V Someone. I Remember Gerrard Scored 2 I Think. I Thought He Was Amazing, He Was Awesome. So I Decided I Would Follow Gerrard. Liverpool It Was.

My Friends (2 Of Them) Support Manchester United And My Other Supports Blackburn Rovers. He Doesnt Support Them Much, But He Has A Shirt, He Supports Them Because Of His Cousin Lives There. All My Friends (The United Ones) Ever Talked About Was Manchester United Top Of The Table, Winning Against Liverpool, Liverpool Are Rubbish Etc. And When Liverpool Beat Manchester United 4-1 The Other Week, I Felt Amazing :D I Told Them, And What Did They Say? Exuses. "Liverpool Had An Extra Day To Rest From The Champions League" Was One Of The Exuses. Another One Was "Manchester United Didnt Play As Good As They Usually Do, They Had An Off Day!". Pfft :rolleyes:

I Know Liverpool Are A Lot Better Than Derby, But I Know All About United Fans :rolleyes:

Hope You Get why I Support Liverpool Wozza :o

Now To Rest My Fingers... :D (Joke :P )

That Must Be My Longest Post Ever! :D[/quote']

Do you have to CAP every word?

I don't think I can be labeled a glory supporter, because Atletico Madrid and glory are never mentionned in the same sentence.

Truth be told, footballing skipped a generation, and my grandfather was from not too far outside of Basel. So I've been FCB. Only one problem, I can't actually watch any games from Switzerland here. I needed another team.

Anyways, when we went to France in 1999, the only cap they had left in the gift shop was Spain.

I am also a hockey fan. The summer I started out as a footy fan (Same summer as I started SM, 2006), was the world cup. That year, my hockey team got to the final thanks to goals from Fernando Pisani and Raffi Torres. Already being a Spain fan, the choice was logical. Started watching Fernando Torres' Atletico, and have been loyal since then.

Also, I support my local team, Toronto FC, who are 16 hours away and were established a year after I started watching Atletico :D

I am, however, a youth supporter in Brazil. Palmeiras and Gremio last year; Sport, Corinthians and Inter this year :D

Guest Phill

Do you have to CAP every word?

No :P

The 'youngsters' on here all seem to do that' date=' would explain why it took so long to type.[/quote']

Actually when i type it doesnt take any time at all to put a cap at the start of each word because i just press shift ;)

the term "glory hunter" is overused to the degree that people forget what it actually means

it is used to label people who support a football club solely on the basis of their success.

BUT, some people also forget that to win on the pitch, you need a certain level of class, this can be present in the quality of the players, or the way that particular team play football......these things are as attractive as the victories themselves.

plus, most fans are so emotional attached to their club, that the case of whether they are supporting their local club is entirely irelevant. a perfect case is chelsea. after the russian takeover, they may have assembled a variety of fans from all over the country, people far too eager to jump on their bandwaggon for the excitement and prospect of new players and trophies. but after the last 5 years, after what chelsea has taken them through, i dont doubt for one second that their heart is with chelsea all the way, through every high and every low.

the exponential growth of LFC supporters since I have been here is a good example :P

Christ, you've got something against us :rolleyes: You're right though, it's a bloody disgrace mate the way a lot of people are going to be flocking towards us due to a sniff of success. I suppose that's the price of success (or relative success in our case).

Luckily I've never had to 'glory hunt' since I'm a born and bred Scouser and I was even luckier to be from a Liverpool family rather than an Everton one.

Something that saddens me is that even the magic of the Kop isn't immune to wave upon wave of whoppers eroding the Anfield atmosphere, that still can be the best on the planet, on occassion.

It's a shame because whilst I've got nothing against Norwegians (we seem to get a lot of them for some reason :confused: due to Riise maybe) and I'm not a xenophobe, they are atmosphere killers. The stadium is half full of wools nowadays :( We're still a lot better off than clubs like United or Chelsea (no disrespect) but I'm just hoping the recent influx of daytrippers isn't just the tip of the iceberg.

Well i reckon there are many reasons for someone to support a club. It does not necessarily need to be near their town or win all the time, but other reasons like the football they play, the spirit they show, the way they react when they are a goal down, a certain player etc.

I don't live near any english clubs, but my heart has always been with pool i guess. When i started supporting them, they certainly weren't champions, nor were they winning all the time like utd.

A glory supporter is someone who merely supports a team because they are winning. What about big clubs that don't win all the time?

I prefered pool because of their spirit and rich culture which they have, definitely not because they are a big club that wins all the time.

Try living in this big mound of horse dung people still call a "country". My local team is a bunch of Vietnamese and Mexican geezers in replica shirts nudging a replica ball around on an American football field. :rolleyes: I'm not amazed all the footy fans here (Vietnamese ancients who ran out of things to gamble on and Mexicans the size of elephants) are glory hunters. SAVE ME FROM THIS PRISON. :(

This is a completely nonsensical thread.

Whoever made this thread, well, why do you care about what clubs other people support? Is it gonna make a difference to you if I supported Fulham and you supported Plymouth? No, it's not. Unless you're a right twit who's like "Oh hey no fair :( you're supporting a better team. Let's make out".

If you're fed up with your 'glory supporters' then well, good on you. I don't see why anyone should actually care to be honest.

This is a completely nonsensical thread.

Whoever made this thread' date=' well, why do you care about what clubs other people support? Is it gonna make a difference to you if I supported Fulham and you supported Plymouth? No, it's not. Unless you're a right twit who's like "Oh hey no fair :( you're supporting a better team. Let's make out".

If you're fed up with your 'glory supporters' then well, good on you. I don't see why anyone should actually care to be honest.[/quote']

Hmmmmm, I swear all you do is criticise me :confused:

This is an age old issue.....so I will just say - it's the people who live hundreds of miles away from "their team" and never get to see them play or really be a part of it that are missing out....

give me going to the game every week, having a beer, a pie and actually supporting your team over sitting in front of the TV with your Man United/Liverpool shirt on any day of the week.

Fair play to those who support big clubs but go and watch a smaller team when they can - anyone who doesn't because the "football is rubbish" or "they are bottom of the league" is the definition of a glory hunter and not a real football fan

so does me living over in Australia yet support Manchester United mean im a glory hunter?

what does it matter where you live' date=' everyone should have equal rights to support the team they want, no matter wether they live in China or South Africa.[/quote']

It's hardly a question of human rights.... :rolleyes:

To answer your question. Yes you have the right to support who you like - but you being a Man United fan from the other side of the world does make you a glory hunter yes. You're hardly alone though - these big clubs rely on you and millions like you for the majority of their income B)

It's hardly a question of human rights.... :rolleyes:

To answer your question. Yes you have the right to support who you like - but you being a Man United fan from the other side of the world does make you a glory hunter yes. You're hardly alone though - these big clubs rely on you and millions like you for the majority of their income B)

well i guess Derby should of been the first team i ever watched in a football match, then maybe i wouldnt be a glory hunter........

well i guess Derby should of been the first team i ever watched in a football match' date=' then maybe i wouldnt be a glory hunter........[/quote']

Actually for me it's not about glory - I don't understand the concept of anyone supporting any team they never see in the flesh and live thousands of miles away from....no matter how successful they are

Actually for me it's not about glory - I don't understand the concept of anyone supporting any team they never see in the flesh and live thousands of miles away from....no matter how successful they are

That is well put.

If You live in Manchester, you can Support United.

If You live in Liverpool, you can Support Liverpool.

And it goes on.

Ok, I can understand if you live in Australia or Ireland etc, because the standard of football over their isn't the best, and The PL is played all the time over their im guessing right?

Its just the people who for example who live in Leicester, and then support Manchester United, that really does annoy me, when they live in a City, which has a decent football team, with a decent history, and they go and support a team which is miles away, and have probably never seen them play in the flesh :confused: why??

I just want to bring back the people such as Toggs, Widdy, Atkin and George, who all support lower league teams.

You have to have darn right balls to support any of the teams they support, and again, I have the most darn right respect for who they support, coz you have gotta be brave to support teams like that.