Sign in to follow this  
andyowls

The Official NFL Thread.

nfl-steroids.jpg

After seaching the forum, I only found one thread dedicated to the most watched sport in America and, come Super Bowl weekend, the whole world. That sport is American Football. With all due respect to that thread, it was scarely used and didn't have much format to it, so I decided to make a fresh, new one. I hope the Mod's don't mind.

My name is Andy, and I'm an avid Chicago Bears fan - no matter how much they suck! NFL is my second love in the world of sport after football and I follow it pretty closely and have done for the past 3 years or so. This thread is there for all of those that love NFL, both in real life and the various games that encapulate the sport.

Now, I don't care if you think Rugby players are harder or if you think NFL players are pansies for wearing all their pads and protection. If you watched a whole game and saw some of the hits that players take and give out, it really can make your eyes water!

Anyway, if you follow NFL, no matter how much, or if you would like to find out more about the game, then this is the thread for you.

I am quite open in my love for the sport with my friends and have often had to take some ribbing from them as they have no knowledge of the sport and basically think that it's a load of rubbish. But that's the problem for a lot of people as they don't really know the rules or even realise what the object of the game is. With that in mind, I will give you the lowdown of how the sport works and how you go about actually winning a game.

An NFL game is divided into four quarters with an extended halftime break between quarters two and three. Each quarter is 15 minutes long. If the teams are tied after four quarters of play, they play an additional overtime period of 15 minutes. In the overtime, the first team to score wins.

While the game time adds up to one hour, it usually takes three to four hours to play a game. Teams can stop the clock by running out of bounds, throwing an incomplete pass, or calling a time out, of which they have three per half. Time also stops for each of the two-minute warnings, observed two minutes prior to the end of the second and fourth quarters.

The Pitch

football-diagram1.gif

The Squads

An NFL roster allows for no more than 53 players on a team. At any one time, only 11 players per team are allowed on the field. To understand an NFL roster, you have to identify the three teams within a team: the offense, the defense, and special teams. Each of these groups has specialized positions with a specific set of skills.

Below is a image displaying a typical offense lining up against a typical defense. Please note, however, that there are hundreds of different formations possible. With each offensive formation, the defense would usually line up differently also. However, that is too complicated to get into fully right now.

football-diagram2.gif

Offense

A team's offense is responsible for taking the ball down the field toward its opponent's end zone. To do this, the offense throws the ball from one player to another, or holds the ball and runs forward. Here are the basic offensive positions:

Quarterback (QB) - This player throws the ball to receivers or hands off to running backs. The quarterback is also known as the "field general," because he's the on-the-field leader.

Offensive linemen - These players provide blocking for the quarterback and running backs. Individual linemen positions include:

Center © - The center is located in the middle of the line. This player hikes the ball to the quarterback by bringing the ball up between his legs.

Guards (LG/RG) - These two players flank the center.

Tackles (LT/RT) - The tackles are positioned on the outside of each guard; teams have two tackles.

Receivers - Receivers run down the field and catch balls thrown by the quarterback. Receivers are either wide receivers (WR) or tight ends (LTE/RTE) depending on where they are positioned on the field.

Running backs - Running backs take the ball from the quarterback and run up the field. Depending on the formation (arrangement) of the offensive players, a running back might be called a tailback (TB), halfback (HB), or fullback (FB).

Defense

Where the offense tries to drive the team down the field and score points, the defense tries to stop them from doing so. Here are the basic defensive positions:

Defensive linemen - The linemen put pressure on the quarterback by trying to tackle him before he releases the ball. They also try to stop running backs. There are typically three or four defensive linemen. Individual positions include:

Ends (LE/RE) - The ends line up on the outside of the line and try to rush around the offensive tackles.

Nose tackle (NT) - The nose tackle lines up over the football.

Tackle (LDT/RDT) - The tackle lines up across from a guard and tries to knife through the offensive line.

Linebackers - When there are four linemen, there is a middle linebacker (MLB) and two outside linebackers (OLB). When there are three linemen, there are two inside linebackers (ILB) and two outside linebackers. Their job is to back up the linemen, as well as contain runners and cover receivers on some plays.

Cornerbacks (CB) - The cornerbacks prevent the wide receivers from catching the ball by breaking up passes from the quarterback.

Safeties - The safeties play deep behind the rest of the defense to prevent a long pass or run. A strong safety (SS) lines up on the side of the field where there are more offensive players. The free safety (FS) plays a deep, middle position.

Special Teams

If a team has to kick the ball, it uses its special-teams unit. This unit includes the team's kickers, the offensive line, and players who run down the field to tackle a returner (see below).

Placekicker - The placekicker kicks the ball through the goalposts to score points, and kicks the ball to the other team to start the game and after each scoring possession.

Punter - The punter free-kicks the ball if his team cannot advance the ball down the field.

Returner - During a kickoff or punt, the returner tries to catch the ball and return it as far as he can. A player can score a touchdown on a return.

So there are your players, now for the rules...

The Rules

An American Football game begins with a coin toss to decide which team will receive the opening kickoff. From the opening kickoff, the two teams battle to take possession of the ball. Possession means that a team's offensive unit has the ball.

A team can take possession of the ball in several ways:

Receiving a kickoff - A team receives a kickoff at the beginning of each half and after the other team scores.

Turnover - A team recovers a ball dropped by the other team (fumble) or picks off a ball thrown by the other team's quarterback (interception).

Safety - A player is tackled in his own end zone, meaning the end zone his team is defending, so the other team gets the ball though a free kick.

Punt - The defensive team stops the offensive team from getting 10 yards in three downs, and the offensive team free-kicks, or punts, the ball to the other team on third down.

Turnover on downs - The offensive team fails to advance the ball 10 yards in four downs and has to surrender the ball to the other team.

Every time a team takes possession of the ball, it is given a set of four downs, or attempts, to move the ball 10 yards. If the team can move the ball 10 yards or more within four downs, the team gets another set of four downs to go another 10 yards, and so on.

For instance, if a team advances 3 yards on first down, the next play is second down with 7 yards to go (second and 7); if the team then advances 5 yards on second down, the next play is third and 2; if the team then advances 2 or more yards on third down, the next play is back to first and 10, with a whole new set of four downs during which to advance the ball.

After each play, the officials determine how many yards a team has advanced or lost. The officials then place the ball at the point where the team has ended up. This point determines the line of scrimmage, which is an imaginary line that runs across the field and is the starting point for the offensive team on each play. On the sideline, a team of officials handles a 10-yard-long chain, which designates that 10-yard mark a team must reach to get a first down. On close plays, this chain is sometimes brought onto the field to measure the distance from the ball to the 10-yard mark. The nose of the ball must reach the bar connected to the end of the chain for a team to be awarded a first down.

If a team fails to gain 10 yards after three downs, it may choose to punt the ball to the other team. If it doesn't punt and chooses to use its fourth down, or "go for it," it must reach the 10-yard mark or it surrenders the ball. A team often chooses to punt the ball in order to back the opposing team up so that it has to cover a greater distance to score. The team receiving the punt can return it, meaning it can catch and run it back down the field. The kicking team is hoping to kick the ball down the field and tackle the receiving team's kick returner before he comes back down the field.

Scoring

The opponent's goal line is the one a team is advancing toward. Once any part of the ball reaches the edge of the goal line, it is considered in the end zone, and a touchdown has been scored. You will often hear commentators say that a ball breaks the plane of the end zone, which means the ball has crossed over the goal line.

A touchdown is just one way of scoring points in football. After scoring a touchdown, a team can kick a field goal for an extra point or attempt to run or pass the ball into the end zone for a two-point conversion. The team has only one chance at the two-point conversion.

At any time during their possession, the offense can opt to try to kick the ball through the posts. This is called a field goal. If they are successful it’s 3 points and they kickoff to the other team, if it misses, it’s first and 10 to the other team from the spot where it was taken.

Ways of Scoring:

Touchdown (TD) - A ball is carried into an opponent's end zone or caught in the end zone. 6 points

Extra point - A ball is kicked through the uprights of the opponent's goalpost after a touchdown. 1 points

2-point conversion - A ball is carried into an opponent's end zone or caught in the end zone. 2 points

Field goal - A ball is kicked through the uprights of the opponent's goalpost. 3 points

Safety - A player tackles an opposing player in the opposing player's own end zone. 2 points

There are a lot more minor rules, but those are the main, basic ones, feel free to ask any questions….

The Teams

There are 32 teams in the NFL with no promotion or relegation issues that is commonplace in many sports. These 32 teams are divided evenly into two 16-team conference - the American Football Conference (AFC) and the National Football Conference (NFC). In each conference, the teams are then sub-divided into four divisions; North; East; South; West.

The four teams in each division play each other twice every season, home and away, and are known as 'Divisional Rivals'. Other than these 6 games, each team plays a further 10 games to give 16 total matches in the season. I won't go into detail about how the NFL decides who plays who each season - it's far too complicated for me to even think about.

Here are the divisions and their respective teams:

AFC

274px-American_Football_Conference_logo.svg.png

North

Baltimore Ravens

Cincinatti Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

East

Buffalo Bills

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

South

Houston Texans

Indianapolis Colts

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

West

Denver Broncos

Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders

San Diego Chargers

NFC

200px-National_Football_Conference_logo.svg.png

North

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

East

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Redskins

South

Atlanta Falcons

Carolina Panthers

New Orleans Saints

Tampa Bay Bucaneers

West

Arizona Cardinals

St. Louis Rams

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

Road to the Super Bowl

Even the least-knowledgable NFL fans know that all teams aim to get to the Super Bowl each year - the sport's season-ending, most-watched televised event in the world.

As I said before, each team plays 16 games in the regular season. So, hyperthetically, if a team wins 10 games and loses 6, their record is 10-6 (pronounced 10 and 6).

Each team is competing in their respective divisions and are vying to come top of their min-league. If you come top of your division, then you win the right to advance to the post-season play-offs.

If you don't top your division however, you have the chance to snap up one of two wild-card positions. These are awarded to the two best-placed finished in each conference who do NOT win their division. So, in total, 6 teams from each conference advance to the play-offs. Each team is given a ranking based on the record in the season.

Out of these 6 teams in each conference, the two teams with the best record - i.e. ranks 1 and 2 - receive a bye to the second round of play-off matches. The other 4 teams in each conference play against each other in what is known as Wild-Card Weekend. The 3rd-ranked team plays the 6th-ranked team and the 4th-ranked team plays the 5th-ranked team.

The winners of each of these games advance to the round of Divisional Playoff games to play the number 1 and 2 ranked teams. These are effectively the quarter-finals. From then-on, it's pretty self-explanatory. If you've found this quite hard to understand, which would be understanding, hopefully diagram explains it a bit better.

NFL_playoff_tree.PNG

Current World Champions

pittsburgh_steelers_logo1030104.gif

After triumphing 27-23 against the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII, the Pittsburgh Steelers currently hold the tag of World Champions. Santonio Holmes was the hero for Pittsburgh, holding on to a 6-yard pass from Ben Roethlisberger deep into the fourth quarter after Larry Fitzgerald had just given Arizona the lead with 2:37 remaining. Holmes caught 9 passes for 131 yards with that game-winning touchdown to give him the award of Super Bowl MVP - Most Valuable Player.

Re: The NEW Official NFL Thread.

Although it is currently the off-season and the new season still months away, there is plenty to discuss - most notably the recent big news in the NFL being Jay Cutler, the QB of the Denver Broncos, demanding to be traded to another team.

Also announced today was the news that Cleveland Browns WR Donte Stallworth being chagred with DUI and manslaughter after knocking down a pedestrian whilst under the influence.

And all this is happening in the midst of tonnes of player transfers and the upcoming Draft - where the best players coming out of American Colleges are snapped up by the NFL teams. The team with the worst record in the previous season gets the top pick - i.e. the best player, with that team being Detroit Lions this year with them now winning a single game last season.

Feel free to discuss and ask me any questions about anything NFL-related. :D

The last Superbowl was the best and i've watched about 7, had a bet on Arizona Cardinals i really believed they would have stepeed up and they had it won but they made stupid mistakes, NFL is awesome but so commercial :( theres an advert everytime the ball goes outta play.

The last Superbowl was the best and i've watched about 7' date=' had a bet on Arizona Cardinals i really believed they would have stepeed up and they had it won but they made stupid mistakes, NFL is awesome but so commercial :( theres an advert everytime the ball goes outta play.[/quote']

I really enjoyed it also as it was good to see such a competetive, close game. I thought Arizona had done it when they stormed into the lead, mainly thanks to Fitzgerald, but the Steelers were impressive when the marched down the field on the following drive.

I agree that it can be frustrating regarding the adverts issue and that's a big turn-off for a lot of people as there are so many stoppages. However, me personally, I love the tactical side of the game and enjoy the experts analysing the game in the breaks.

Good thread. You ever been to NFL games at Wembley? Ive been to the couple they had so far' date=' and going again this October. Just wish they'd have more! Makes a great day out.[/quote']

Thanks mate.

Havn't had a chance yet but I'd really love to. I always sign up to get a ticket but whenever they give me the code to help me get a one, I always seem to be skint!!!:mad:

I watched the Saints-Chargers game at Wembley last year on TV and it was such a great game. Really end-to-end and the amount of action was brilliant. I bet it was an amazing atmosphere and an awesome day in general.

NFL Comissioner Roger Goodell talked about the possiblity of an NFL franchise coming to London last year, which is really exciting. I reckon the idea would take years to develop but we can always keep our fingers crossed!

MASSIVE NEWS - well for me personally, being a Chicago Bears fan....

I mentioned about Jay Cutler, the Denver Broncos QB demanding to be traded after falling out with new coach Josh McDaniels and he's only gone and ended up in the Windy City! However, it's come at a cost with Chicago giving up their own QB, Kyle Orton, their 2009 first round and third round picks along with their 2010 first round pick.

It's extremely rare to see such an expensive deal but I'm pleased that Chicago has finally ended up with a franchise quarterback for the first time in 15-20 years. Cutler has a hell of an arm on him and should flourish in our offense so long as we can get him a good target man. Hopefully he won't prove to be such a disruptive influence as he did at Denver late on.

All of a sudden, I'm really excited about next season and the possibility of a long Chicago run into the playoffs!

buccaneers_logo_small.gif

Ahhhhhhh yeah! SICK! nice to see the NFL gettin some love on the SM forum. sweeeeeeeeeet sauce! :D

Am a huge Bucs fan.. god know whats gonna happen with us this season.. sure we get Winslow a great Tight-End option, but i mean c'mon! We let Jeff Garcia go... for nought! So Oakland can go and sign him and are havin a laugh. We miss out on Jay Cutler cos Bears get him for 2 lousy conditional 1st round draft picks! :mad: So we go and get a washed out stringer in Byron Leftwich, who's had his day for Jacksonville Jaguars.

Can't see us making a run for the playoffs this year, not even a wildcard spot. Simms will probs be are starting QB, hoping Cadillac has great year, think, we'll heavily have to rely on our running game and defence this year, which we pretty much always rely on our defence so nothing new there. :rolleyes:

All n all, who knows... we finish near dead last.... and draft QB, Tim Tebow for next year! :)

Good to see another NFL fan on the forums. :)

I can sympathise with you about Jeff Garcia. Despite his age, he still seems to be a good player and would still be able to do a job for you this year. However, I think Leftwich could be a good fit for you. Always look on the bright side - he's due a good season!! And as for Chris Simms, he won't be starting for you I'm afraid - he's gone to Denver!

Plus, being a Bears fan, I'm glad Cutler didn't wind up at the Bucs and that we have him!! :D I noticed the schedule came out yesterday with the Bears getting 5 televised prime-time games :eek: Seems like Cutler's pulling in the punters!

I don't understand this sport one bit, you have basically two different teams, one for attacking and one for defending, right? :o

It's so complicated..

I think ill stick to my rugby n footy lol B)

Nice to see some more people like the NFL these days especially you Andy, I must say you've made some power posts these past few days which have been brilliant reads!

Anyway last season was a disappointment for me, im a Cincinnati Bengals fan and the past 2 years have been dreadful!

I went to Wembley last year for the Giants vs Dolphins game and luckily i developed a love for the Giants and Osi Unemyouria (born in London) ;):D

So I was very happy when they won the Superbowl. :rolleyes:

But back to Cincinnati, this is the year ;) We will finally make the playoffs again I can feel it!

As long as Carson (Palmer) delivers and Ocho Cinco stops being a whining b*tch i'm sure we can push for the Playoffs, especially if Chad proves to us all he's the best WR in the NFL (fact!)

And another big factor and exciting factor for me is a certain beast we have signed this pre season...

Terry the tank Johnson!

signed from the Cowboys, we couldn't have got a better DT really :rolleyes:

anyway, bring on the season ;) its gonna be a good one!

I don't understand this sport one bit' date=' you have basically two different teams, one for attacking and one for defending, right? :o

It's so complicated..

I think ill stick to my rugby n footy lol B)[/quote']

Haha, yeh, it can be a bit confusing if you're new to the sport but if you read my guide, sit down and watch a game, you might understand it, but more importantly, you might enjoy it.

Nice to see some more people like the NFL these days especially you Andy' date=' I must say you've made some power posts these past few days which have been brilliant reads![/quote']

Thanks man, I do try to give a good input from time to time.

Anyway last season was a disappointment for me' date=' im a Cincinnati Bengals fan and the past 2 years have been dreadful!

I went to Wembley last year for the Giants vs Dolphins game and luckily i developed a love for the Giants and Osi Unemyouria (born in London) ;):D

So I was very happy when they won the Superbowl. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Sometimes I feel a bit like that. The first game I watched was with Chicago who were whooping some other team - can't remember now. But it turned out they were whooping every team that season and went on to lose in the Super Bowl to the Colts so I felt a bit like a glory supporter! :D

Having said that, the Bears have done naff all since, so I feel less of one now!

But back to Cincinnati' date=' this is the year ;) We will finally make the playoffs again I can feel it!

As long as Carson (Palmer) delivers and Ocho Cinco stops being a whining b*tch i'm sure we can push for the Playoffs, especially if Chad proves to us all he's the best WR in the NFL (fact!)[/quote']

The Bengals always seem to have the base of a good side but never really seem to materialise in the season. They've been let down by defence a lot, though in the last couple of seasons. Losing TJ to the Seahawks was a big loss but if Carson can connect with OchoCinco and new WR Coles from the Jets, I reckon you have the potential for a really explosive offense. But yeh, you really need Chad to prove to all of us that he is the best, because he is...when he chooses to be!

And another big factor and exciting factor for me is a certain beast we have signed this pre season...

Terry the tank Johnson!

signed for the Cowboys' date=' we couldn't have got a better DT really :rolleyes:

anyway, bring on the season ;) its gonna be a good one![/quote']

Like I just mentioned, you Bengals have been struggling on defence and Tank should upgrade the D-Line. Hopefully he keeps his off-field troubles limited unlike he did when he was with us at Chicago. And we all know how Cincinatti players like attracting trouble...;)

The Bengals always seem to have the base of a good side but never really seem to materialise in the season. They've been let down by defence a lot' date=' though in the last couple of seasons. Losing TJ to the Seahawks was a big loss but if Carson can connect with OchoCinco and new WR Coles from the Jets, I reckon you have the potential for a really explosive offense. But yeh, you really need Chad to prove to all of us that he is the best, because he is...when he chooses to be![/Quote']

Precisely mate :o. We have some stars but together, they arn't the best bunch of players in the NFL, a few years back in the playoffs we did very well but Carson broke his ankle and Kitna was shocking as his replacement :(

Yeah our defence has been very weak indeed. Geathers was one of our worst Ds a few seasons ago and last season he somehow became our only well known D :eek: injuries kills us everytime...

Losing TJ isn't the greatest thing mate your correct there, but for me he has always lived in Chads shadow..

It was only last season and the season before were he began to show some class as a WR, luckily though Coles is a brilliant WR and we still have the talented number 85!

Like I just mentioned' date=' you Bengals have been struggling on defence and Tank should upgrade the D-Line. Hopefully he keeps his off-field troubles limited unlike he did when he was with us at Chicago. And we all know how Cincinatti players like attracting trouble...;)[/quote']

Yeah Tank should be a good acquisition to our beaten line but we still need a few more experienced players to fill the void of last year...

And yeah totally agree lol, you wouldn't be referring to a certain Mr Henry there would you? :rolleyes:;)

Great player but a pure idiot!

Good to see another NFL fan on the forums. :)

And as for Chris Simms' date=' he won't be starting for you I'm afraid - he's gone to Denver![/quote']

Cheers geeeeez! nice thread ya got goin here m8.

Oh snap! i didnt know we lost Simms! We're officialy PAPPED, its like a massive chain reaction, 1st we sack John Gruden who was dealt with harshly imo, shouldnt have been let go, then we hire some NUMPTY donut to takeover, lose Garcia, lose Simms, lose out on Cutler to yas, bloody ell! :rolleyes:

I thought we might try and make a move for Cassel too, but he's gone from Pats now, Brady Quinn was also a QB who i thought could maybe be a 'franchise player' if we got him and let him grow with the team as QB's are quite like GK's in that they get better with age to some extent, even if he doesnt start this season, i dunno what will happen, dont trust Leftwich whatsoeva.

Yeah Tank should be a good acquisition to our beaten line but we still need a few more experienced players to fill the void of last year...

And yeah totally agree lol' date=' you wouldn't be referring to a certain Mr Henry there would you? :rolleyes:;)

Great player but a pure idiot![/quote']

You could say that!! The Bengals as a whole seem to be a franchise that likes giving troubled players a second chance, which has to be admired, but can also be conceived as foolish at the same time!

Cheers geeeeez! nice thread ya got goin here m8.

Oh snap! i didnt know we lost Simms! We're officialy PAPPED' date=' its like a massive chain reaction, 1st we sack John Gruden who was dealt with harshly imo, shouldnt have been let go, then we hire some NUMPTY donut to takeover, lose Garcia, lose Simms, lose out on Cutler to yas, bloody ell! :rolleyes:

I thought we might try and make a move for Cassel too, but he's gone from Pats now, Brady Quinn was also a QB who i thought could maybe be a 'franchise player' if we got him and let him grow with the team as QB's are quite like GK's in that they get better with age to some extent, even if he doesnt start this season, i dunno what will happen, dont trust Leftwich whatsoeva. [/size']

I'm not convinced that Cassel is the real deal yet. He had a good season last year but you have to remember the team he was playing for and the players he had surrounding him. He won't have many players at KC that are half the standard of the Patriots.

But I know exactly how you feel. Until Cutler, us Bears haven't had a franchise QB since the '80's, which is quite shocking really. It's just been a bit of QB merry-go-round ever since then and we had to give up a fair amount to get one.

Don't be too downhearted though - you could always play Brian Griese! :D

I've got Madden '08 and '09.. :)

Its well funny, i just give it to the quick guy at the back :o and try and run around their whole team, or just launchc it like 100000m with Brady to the wide reciever! :P

I know a tiny bit lol

I've got Madden '08 and '09.. :)

Its well funny' date=' i just give it to the quick guy at the back :o and try and run around their whole team, or just launchc it like 100000m with Brady to the wide reciever! :P

I know a tiny bit lol[/quote']

Yeh I have Madden 08, but it's like two seasons old now and none of the players are at the right clubs! :P I really want to get the new one on PS3 - I bet it will look mint.

I always get addicted to the Hall of Fame Quest mode - can't remember what it's called now! My current game - although I haven't played it for a while now -, I've played about 6 seasons, got to the play-offs every year, and become MVP about 3 years running. I'm a Running Back and always carry my team into the play-offs but we always muck it up somehow - only won one Super Bowl. :(

Yeh I have Madden 08' date=' but it's like two seasons old now and none of the players are at the right clubs! :P I really want to get the new one on PS3 - I bet it will look mint.

I always get addicted to the Hall of Fame Quest mode - can't remember what it's called now! My current game - although I haven't played it for a while now -, I've played about 6 seasons, got to the play-offs every year, and become MVP about 3 years running. I'm a [b']Running Back[/b] and always carry my team into the play-offs but we always muck it up somehow - only won one Super Bowl. :(

Thats the position i was thinking of..

He's the quick guy at the back right? if you dont wanna through to the wide reciever, you pass it to the running back and he legs it :P

How fun would that position be to play :D:D:D amazing! :P

2009-draft-300.gif

Yesterday was the NFL 2009 Draft, which had a few surprises for me, the big one being that Mark Sanchez went 5th in the 1st round, when he was touted to be the 1st pick overall. On top of that Cleveland traded that pick of Sanchez to The Jets, which let to mass booing of the Browns picks all night i'm guessing.:rolleyes: Below are the first 20 picks out of the 32 in the 1st round.

Detroit Lions:

Matt Stafford

Ht/Wt: 6-3/237 lbs

Position: QB

Drafted From:Georgia

Class: Junior

St.Louis Rams:

Jason Smith

Ht/Wt: 6-5/305 lbs

Position: OT

Drafted From: Baylor

Class: Senior

Kansas City Chiefs:

Tyson Jackson

Ht/Wt: 6-5/295 lbs

Position: DE

Drafted From: LSU

Seattle Seahawks:

Aaron Curry

Ht/Wt: 6-3/247 lbs

Position: OLB

Drafted From: Wake Forest

New York Jets:

Mark Sanchez

Ht/Wt: 6-2 1/2/225 lbs

Drafted From: USC

Cincinatti Bengals:

Andre Smith

Ht/Wt: 6-4/340 lbs

Drafted From: Alabama

Oakland Raiders:

Darrius HeywardBey

Ht/Wt: 6-3/195 lbs

Position: WR

Drafted From: Maryland

Jacksonville Jaguars:

Eugene Monroe

Ht/Wt: 6-6/315 lbs

Drafted From: Virginia

Green Bay Packers:

BJ Raji

Ht/Wt: 6-1/335 lbs

Position: DT

Drafted From: Boston College

San Francisco 49ers:

Michael Crabtree

Ht/Wt: 6-3/210 lbs

Position:WR

Drafted From: Texas Tech

Buffalo Bills:

Aaron Maybin

Ht/Wt: 6-3 1/2/250 lbs

Position: DE/OLB

Drafted From: Penn State

Class: Sophmore

Denver Broncos:

Knowshon Moreno

Ht/Wt: 5-11/207 lbs

Position: RB

Drafted From: Georgia

Washington Redskins:

Brian Orakpo

Ht/Wt: 6-4/260 lbs

Drafted From: Texas

New Orleans Saints:

Malcolm Jenkins

Ht/Wt: 6-1/200 lbs

Position: CB

Drafted From: Ohio State

Houston Texans:

Brian Cushing

Ht/Wt: 6-4/255 lbs

Position: OLB

Drafted From: USC

San Diego Chargers:

Larry English

Ht/Wt: 6-2/245 lbs

Drafted From: N. Illinois

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: :D

Josh Freeman

Ht/Wt: 6-6/240 lbs

Drafted From: Kansas State

Denver Broncos:

Robert Ayers

Ht/Wt: 6-3/273 lbs

Position: DE/LB

Drafted From: Tennessee

Philadelphia Eagles:

Jeremy Maclin

Ht/Wt: 6-1/198 lbs

Position: WR

Drafted From: Missouri

Detroit Lions:

Brandon Pettigrew

Ht/Wt: 6-6/260 lbs

Position: TE

Drafted From: Oklahoma St.

Yes as mentioned in the previous post by Kylan_N17, the NFL draft happened this weekend, and what a draft it was. There were plenty of surprises and shocks, particularly in the first round, so the draft didn't disppoint. Here are some of the most interesting picks that were made this weekend:

#1 - Matthew Stafford to the Detroit Lions - as expected, Detroit Lions picked themselves a much-needed franchise QB in the form of Matthew Stafford with the #1 overall pick. Detroit wrapped up his signature on Friday, signing him to a whopping $78million deal with $41.7million guarenteed. Stafford is the typical pocket passer with a strong arm and has the potential to be thrown right into the deep-end this season, especially with Detroit's lack of options and following the great success of rookie QB's Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco last season.

#2 - Jason Smith to the St. Louis Rams - the Rams strengthened their offensive line by picking Smith to replace the gap left by Orlando Pace who joined the Bears. Smith's outstanding feet and movement skills that will allow him to contribute to a poor St. Louis offense from last year, immediately.

#3 - Tyson Jackson to the Kansas City Chiefs - Jackson was a bit of a surpise choice at #3 as most mock draft boards didn't predict him to leave this high. However, he was the best defensive end on the board to fit into the Chiefs 3-4 defence and has excellent size and strength to help the Chiefs defence immensely.

#4 - Aaron Curry to the Seattle Seahawks - arguably the best player from the 2009 draft, Curry adds to Seattle strength at the linebacker position. Along with Lofa Tatupu and Leroy Hill, Curry will help form a formidable secondary for the Seahawks next season.

#5 - Mark Sanchez to the New York Jets - you usually get one or two blockbuster trades in the draft and this was one. The Browns traded away their first round pick here to the Jets in exchange for a first-round pick, a second-round pick and three players - Brett Ratliff, Kenyon Coleman and Abram Elam. That's how much Sanchez meant to the Jets as they expect the guy out of Southern California to compete for the QB starting position right away.

#7 - Darrius Heyward-Bey to the Oakland Raiders - Oakland almost inexcusably passed on Micheal Crabtree in favour of Heyward-Bey. Crabtree was believed to be the number one prospect at wide receiver and, although Heyward-Bey has tremendous speed to aid a deep threat in the passing game, most experts were left scratching their heads at this move.

#10 - Micheal Crabtree to the San Francisco 49ers - the 49ers couldn't beliver their luck when Crabtree, the biggest playmaker in the 2009 draft, fell all the way to them at #10. Possessing outstanding ball skills and awareness, Crabtree gives San Francisco it's best receiving threat since Terrell Owens.

#12 - Knowshon Moreno to the Denver Broncos - for a franchise that has acquired three running backs this off-season and is in desperate need of a revamped defence, the Broncos pick of Moreno here was quite perplexing. Granted, Moreno possesses outstanding quickness and elusiveness and will create another weapon to the Denver offense, but a defensive lineman was much needed at this pick.

#17 - Josh Freeman to the Tampa Bay Bucanneers - Cleveland traded down for the second time in the first round as the Bucs sought after the gifted QB Josh Freeman. Freeman has great size and arm strength, and his deep-ball threat gives the Tampa Bay offense a new weapon to complement their running game. He is unlikely to make a huge impression in 2009.

#19 - Jeremy Maclin to the Philadelphia Eagles - for a third time in the first round, Cleveland drops down in a trade with the Eagles so Philly can nab the prolific WR Maclin. The wideout out of Missouri is a good fit for the Eagles west-coast offense and is a threat to score anywhere on the field.

#21 - Alex Mack to the Cleveland Browns - finally, Cleveland decide on a player they really like. Although they passed up the opportunity to pick other more exciting players before Mack, the big Center gives them a pivot on the offense for years to come and, should improve their dismal running game in the process.

I'll pick out more interesting picks in due course.

Great thread Andy' date=' i've been curious about the NFL for years and i want to learn more about the sport. If i get into it, how do i go about choosing who to support?

:P[/quote']

Hmm,good question! You could do what I did and just start watching a random game, root for one side and then go on from there. I feel a little bit of an NFL glory-supporter as I picked the Chicago Bears when they were dominating the first game I watched and they went all the way to the Super Bowl, only to lose to the Colts. However, I feel less bad about it as they've done absolutely naff all since! :P

If you are looking for one of the most exciting teams to watch, I may pick the New Orleans Saints, the Arizona Cardinals or the San Diego Chargers. If you are looking for a team with amazing history, I might pick the Green Bay Packers, the Miami Dolphins or the Dallas Cowboys. Or, if you are just looking for a team that's going to win and make it to the play-offs, I might pick the New England Patriots, the Indianapolis Colts or the New York Giants.

Only just noticed this thread :o

I'm quite interested in the situation with Brett Favre at the moment, I thought he wouldn't come back after leaving Green Bay, he prove me wrong by playing for the Jets. I thought he wouldn't come back after the Jets, looks like he might make me wrong again :rolleyes:

Minnesota Vikings are supposedly interested in him, and after he got the release from the Jets, he could join the Vikings. I've always rated Favre highly, his records and statistics are phenomenal but I thought it was a mistake for him to come out of retirement for the Jets, although the start of the season went great, the last 5 or 6 games were really poor and I didn't think he would play again.

Just on a side note, I think this season is going to be weird without John Madden commentating :( I thought him and Al Micheal's were awesome together and it won't be the same without him.

Link to the Viking's - Favre story