Sign in to follow this  
andyowls

The Official NFL Thread.

Re: The NEW Official NFL Thread.

Only just noticed this thread :o

I'm quite interested in the situation with Brett Favre at the moment' date=' I thought he wouldn't come back after leaving Green Bay, he prove me wrong by playing for the Jets. I thought he wouldn't come back after the Jets, looks like he might make me wrong again :rolleyes:

Minnesota Vikings are supposedly interested in him, and after he got the release from the Jets, he could join the Vikings. I've always rated Favre highly, his records and statistics are phenomenal but I thought it was a mistake for him to come out of retirement for the Jets, although the start of the season went great, the last 5 or 6 games were really poor and I didn't think he would play again.

Just on a side note, I think this season is going to be weird without John Madden commentating :( I thought him and Al Micheal's were awesome together and it won't be the same without him.

Link to the Viking's - Favre story

Yeh, I agree with you about the whole Favre situation. While he did brilliantly with the Jets for the first half/three quarters of the season, he tailed off dreadfully with that shoulder injury and I wonder whether he will be much good for the Vikings. Although, having said that, he is a huge upgrade on the very erratic Tavaris Jackson, the steady-at-best Sage Roosenfels and the unproven rookie John David booty. He could well do a job for one season, but nothing more, and he may struggle even to get the Vikings into the play-offs, unless Peterson and the awesome defence carry the side again.

And yes, it's terrible news about Madden retiring. He's a legend of the game and will be sorely missed. We'll just have to get on the game to hear his commentary this season! :D

I only heard about this news today, such has my absence from the use of internet hurt me. I agree with the two comments above as this is simply shocking news. I can't fathom why so many NFL players die so young - it is beyond a joke now as you seem to get at least two a season. Steve McNair is the latest in a long line of victims, and he is probably the most high-profile in recent memory. McNair was a fantastic QB, who helped Tenessee reach the Super Bowl in 2000. Even up until a couple of seasons ago, he was a top QB with the Ravens, only for an injury-plagued season last term to aid his retirement.

I don't know the full story of his relationship, but it was his 20-year-old girlfriend who was also found dead on the scene. He does have a wife and 4 kids, but it wasn't the wife who was a victim in this atroscity. Police have ruled McNair the victim of a homicide, but haven't confirmed that it was muder-suicide situation.

Whatever happened, Steve was a great player and he will be sorely missed by many.

RIP

Woah! Huge news in the NFL: Michael Vick, the disgraced, former-Atlanta Falcon quarterback has been reinstated in the NFL by Commisioner Roger Goodell. Vick was imprisoned for organising and funding a dog-fighting operation on his occupancy in Virginia. Vick was released from prison after about 18-months earlier this year and had an eletronic tag removed from his ankle last week.

Now all he needs is a team. Several teams, such as the Giants, Jets and Cowboys after already ruled out signing him up, even if they had the chance, due to his newly diminished reputation. There's no way he will be commanding figures like the 10-year $130m contract he had at Atlanta, but he could very well be playing again come week six of the 2009 season, when Goodell will consider full reinstatement.

His return right now is conditional, thanks to Goodell including a load of criteria that Vick will have to meet. Needless to say, he will still have a lot of proving to do if he is to convince the Commisioner that he is a changed man and worthy enough to compete once more. So, he's gonna have to be on the bestest of best behaviour.

Of course, there are plenty of moral issues regarding this matter. While I'd love to see him play again as he's such an entertaining player, I cannot condone the things that he has done. I'm just unsure as to whether his punishment is sufficient enough for him to return. Has anyone else got an opinion on the situation?

For all of those who don't know who Michael Vick is, then this video shall help you out:

AlXp3AxMehc

someone said that players who have killed humans have been punished less than vick, and i tend to agree with them. whilst not defending vick and his actions, he's spent 2 years in jail, hasnt played in nearly 3 years and has lost his entire $100m fortune and for me thats punishment enough. rumours of him entering that UFL league which has 4 teams and some decent coaches to show NFL teams that he can play, and that could be best for him (getting game sharpness and showing his abilities to the world), the UFL (they get publicity and interest for an upstart league that they would not otherwise get) and the NFL (they dont get the negative publicity that will initially follow vick). i'd also have put forward the arena football league for the summer for him, but sadly it looks like that wont come back, which would be a massive shame as it was great fun (for those who dont know what it is, think NFL indoors in arenas built for NBA/NFL).

having said that, if he screws up again he should be banned for life.

someone said that players who have killed humans have been punished less than vick' date=' and i tend to agree with them. whilst not defending vick and his actions, he's spent 2 years in jail, hasnt played in nearly 3 years and has lost his entire $100m fortune and for me thats punishment enough. rumours of him entering that UFL league which has 4 teams and some decent coaches to show NFL teams that he can play, and that could be best for him (getting game sharpness and showing his abilities to the world), the UFL (they get publicity and interest for an upstart league that they would not otherwise get) and the NFL (they dont get the negative publicity that will initially follow vick). i'd also have put forward the arena football league for the summer for him, but sadly it looks like that wont come back, which would be a massive shame as it was great fun (for those who dont know what it is, think NFL indoors in arenas built for NBA/NFL).

[b']having said that, if he screws up again he should be banned for life[/b].

Agreed, and I see what you mean regards your first sentence. He's even filed for bankruptcy.

By the way, I may just be being completely ignorant, but what's the UFL? I know the AFL, as many NFL players have come via there, but I don't think I've ever heard of the UFL. It sounds new, the way you describe, and that could be a good stepping stone for him. If he could do well in that, he'd probably demand a larger salary as well, so it could be in his best interest.

By the way' date=' I may just be being completely ignorant, but what's the UFL? I know the AFL, as many NFL players have come via there, but I don't think I've ever heard of the UFL. It sounds new, the way you describe, and that could be a good stepping stone for him. If he could do well in that, he'd probably demand a larger salary as well, so it could be in his best interest.[/quote']

UFL = United Football League i think. its a 4 team league with teams in vegas, orlando and 2 other cities (cant remember where, think one may be in the NY area too) and their 'season' starts and finishes fairly early with regards to the NFL season (november-ish i think)

UFL = United Football League i think. its a 4 team league with teams in vegas' date=' orlando and 2 other cities (cant remember where, think one may be in the NY area too) and their 'season' starts and finishes fairly early with regards to the NFL season (november-ish i think)[/quote']

Just checked it out. The other two are NY and SF, with two more joining in 2010 (LA and Hartford).

Let's hope it turns out a bit better than Vince McMahon's XFL did.

I don't follow the sport, but I have an idea how it works, as I have been living in Boston a few years now. And I have seen first hand how a winning team generates such excitement in a city. I see first hand how the Baseball and Basketball along with NFL teams seem to have the New England population in good spirits. But, most are just following the team, they won't know the score of another game or will lose interest if the team underachieves or goes on a losing streak.

But, I do remember all the hype and buildup when the Patriots went on that winning streak. For anyone reading, they won every game all the way to the Super Bowl Final. It was a great achievement, on the eve of the game there were stories. (American Newspapers have a Sun or Star newspaper sized amount of pages devoted to sports, including college and high school, and sports like... I forget, it's played with sticks and everyone wears masks, it's French) The stories were how they could be the greatest team ever. But they lost the final. To a team they beat in the group stages. The playoffs can allow a team who has lost half their games to advance to the final. Was it because of the hype? Did they "bottle it" like Arsenal in their 50th game?

I don't follow the sport' date=' but I have an idea how it works, as I have been living in Boston a few years now. And I have seen first hand how a winning team generates such excitement in a city. I see first hand how the Baseball and Basketball along with NFL teams seem to have the New England population in good spirits. But, most are just following the team, they won't know the score of another game or will lose interest if the team underachieves or goes on a losing streak.

But, I do remember all the hype and buildup when the Patriots went on that winning streak. For anyone reading, they won every game all the way to the Super Bowl Final. It was a great achievement, on the eve of the game there were stories. (American Newspapers have a Sun or Star newspaper sized amount of pages devoted to sports, including college and high school, [b']and sports like... I forget[/b], it's played with sticks and everyone wears masks, it's French) The stories were how they could be the greatest team ever. But they lost the final. To a team they beat in the group stages. The playoffs can allow a team who has lost half their games to advance to the final. Was it because of the hype? Did they "bottle it" like Arsenal in their 50th game?

Ice Hockey? Or Lacrosse?

I wouldn't say they bottled it. I watched that Super Bowl and they came very close to winning. One superman play changed the whole game. Eli Manning, the Giants QB somehow, miraculously evaded a load of Patriot defensive linemen under huge pressure and lauched a deep pass just before he got nailed. David Tyree, an unheralded and rather mediocre wide receiver was the one who hauled in the pass despite massive attention from a defensive back. If you watch the replay, he almost catches it with one hand, trapping it against his helmet as he fell to the floor. It really was an unbelievable sequence of events, and the Giants ended up that drive with a match-winning touchdown.

Maybe they didn't play that game as well as they had the previous 16, but the Giants played the game of their lives. When they met in the final match of the regular season, they both had nothing to play for yet both played full strength sides and the Patriots only just beat the Giants on that night.

The reason you probably heard so much about it was because of a number of reasons:

1) American Football is possibly the biggest sport in America. Ice Hockey, Baseball and Basketball are all huge, but I would probably say that the American Football is the most followed, especially if you take into account College Football. The Super Bowl is globally the most watched television event of the year.

2) If you live in Boston, all you are likely to hear in Pats, Pats, Pats - even if they're losing.

3) If they had won that last game, they would have finished the season 19-0, which is unprecedented. Nobody had ever won all their regular season games before (at least since the season has been expanded to 16-games long) and history would have been made. The Miami Dolpins of 1972 went 14-0 (I think) when the regular season was shorter, but many were saying that even the Patriots achievements before the Super Bowl loss were better than that.

Ice Hockey? Or Lacrosse?

I wouldn't say they bottled it. I watched that Super Bowl and they came very close to winning. One superman play changed the whole game. Eli Manning' date=' the Giants QB somehow, miraculously evaded a load of Patriot defensive linemen under huge pressure and lauched a deep pass just before he got nailed. David Tyree, an unheralded and rather mediocre wide receiver was the one who hauled in the pass despite massive attention from a defensive back. If you watch the replay, he almost catches it with one hand, trapping it against his helmet as he fell to the floor. It really was an unbelievable sequence of events, and the Giants ended up that drive with a match-winning touchdown.

Maybe they didn't play that game as well as they had the previous 16, but the Giants played the game of their lives. When they met in the final match of the regular season, they both had nothing to play for yet both played full strength sides and the Patriots only just beat the Giants on that night.

The reason you probably heard so much about it was because of a number of reasons:

1) American Football is possibly the biggest sport in America. Ice Hockey, Baseball and Basketball are all huge, but I would probably say that the American Football is the most followed, especially if you take into account College Football. The Super Bowl is globally the most watched television event of the year.

2) If you live in Boston, all you are likely to hear in Pats, Pats, Pats - even if they're losing.

3) If they had won that last game, they would have finished the season 19-0, which is unprecedented. Nobody had ever won all their regular season games before (at least since the season has been expanded to 16-games long) and history would have been made. The Miami Dolpins of 1972 went 14-0 (I think) when the regular season was shorter, but many were saying that even the Patriots achievements before the Super Bowl loss were better than that.[/quote']

Thank you, yes it was Lacrosse I was thinking of. I think it is or was a French game but it is hugely popular here in the schools. Baseball is bigger here in Boston I think, at least it gets the most exposure in the press for the shear amount of the games there are, and also the seasons it is played in. But most fans are probably not as hardcore as NFL fans. Also Boston covers all the New England area for the highest level of sports, and they would have a fairly substantial fanbase, there is no alternative team to support as in New York say. Anyways everyone is happy when the teams are playing, and that means going out to a few bars are always good times.

Baseball is bigger here in Boston I think' date=' at least it gets the most exposure in the press for the shear amount of the games there are, and also the seasons it is played in.[/quote']

thats what i thought too - that boston's #1 team was the red sox, partially because they have no real competition for most of the season (as NFL/NBA/NHL are all out-of-season in the summer) and that they are consistently a good team (compared to the patriots who were awful for most of their existence, the bruins and the celtics who for most of the last 20 years havent looked like winning it all despite their history and aura)

thats what i thought too - that boston's #1 team was the red sox' date=' partially because they have no real competition for most of the season (as NFL/NBA/NHL are all out-of-season in the summer) and that they are consistently a good team (compared to the patriots who were awful for most of their existence, the bruins and the celtics who for most of the last 20 years havent looked like winning it all despite their history and aura)[/quote']

Yeah, you can see Red Sox shirts everywhere, not the kit, but tee shirts. You can buy them in different languages as well. If you have seen "Stocai Dearga" out on the town, then you would know what I mean. Also what helps is the rivalry with New York, and there are 6 or 7 games with them in a row. Can you imagine Liverpool and United playing even a cup draw in the same week, and what that will do in the cities. Also there was a Red Sox jersey pulled out of the foundations of the New York stadium, left there as a hex. Big rivalry and many games equals huge buzz when you go out.

Stocai Dearga is Gaeilge for the massive amount of Irish people in the city, and all over Mass and the rest of New England.

Yeah' date=' you can see Red Sox shirts everywhere, not the kit, but tee shirts. You can buy them in different languages as well. If you have seen "Stocai Dearga" out on the town, then you would know what I mean. Also what helps is the rivalry with New York, and there are [b']6 or 7 games with them in a row[/b]. Can you imagine Liverpool and United playing even a cup draw in the same week, and what that will do in the cities. Also there was a Red Sox jersey pulled out of the foundations of the New York stadium, left there as a hex. Big rivalry and many games equals huge buzz when you go out.

Stocai Dearga is Gaeilge for the massive amount of Irish people in the city, and all over Mass and the rest of New England.

That can't be a seasonal thing, surely? Are you sure that they didn't just meet by chance in the big, end of season series they have (I forget what it's called, but it's the equivalent of the Super Bowl)?

That can't be a seasonal thing' date=' surely? Are you sure that they didn't just meet by chance in the big, end of season series they have (I forget what it's called, but it's the equivalent of the Super Bowl)?[/quote']

Here is seven games in August.

http://tickets.cheaptickets.com/resultsgeneral.aspx?kwds=NEW%20YORK%20YANKEES%20VS%20BOSTON%20RED%20SOX

There is a break between game 4 and 5, but I have seen them do all 7 in the row. There are like 160 games in the season, so they play their great rivals quite a few times during the months. The pubs do great deals in food and drink these days, also with the Celtics and Patriots in the colder months, it can turn out to be a cheap and profitable;) night as well.

Here is seven games in August.

http://tickets.cheaptickets.com/resultsgeneral.aspx?kwds=NEW%20YORK%20YANKEES%20VS%20BOSTON%20RED%20SOX

There is a break between game 4 and 5' date=' but I have seen them do all 7 in the row. There are like 160 games in the season, so they play their great rivals quite a few times during the months. The pubs do great deals in food and drink these days, also with the Celtics and Patriots in the colder months, it can turn out to be a cheap and profitable;) night as well.[/quote']

That's insane!

There are like 160 games in the season

dont want to get off-topic here, but it really annoying that in baseball they play 160 odd games in a season but in a league of 30 odd teams they dont play each other each season

Big news in the NFL today is that Michael Vick has landed with the Philapdelphia Eagles. The Eagles have offered him a on-year, $1.6m contract (a sum that is dwarfed by what he was earning before being imprisoned), with the option of a second year.

It will be interesting to see how he will be used in Philly. Donovan McNabb is sure to be the starting Quarterback, but I can see Vick be utilised in the "Wildcat" fomation - a miscellaneous attack which has only been popular in the last year or so. It will also be interesting to see who Coach Andy Reid will turn to if McNabb were to get injured, which he has a history of doing; back-up Kevin Kolb, or Vick.

Other news is that Cleveland Browns Wide Receiver Donte Stallworth has been been suspended without pay for the upcoming season after being hit with a charge of manslaughter. Stallworth hit a pedestrian while under the influence (of drink, not drugs), and has pleaded guilty to the charge. Stallworth received a 30-day prison sentence (:eek: is that all?!) and agreed an undisclosed financial settlement with the victim's family. He has been indefinitely been suspended by NFL General Commisioner, Roger Goddell from any first team activities. And this all comes a year after Stallworth agreed a 7-year, $35m contract with the Browns in 2008. He received a $4.5m roster-signing bonus the day before the accident - how sick can irony make you feel on occasions?

On a lighter note, the pre-season matches commenced yesterday, with the big news that Tom Brady made a successful return from his horror injury last season. Brady threw two touchdown passes as the Patriots beat the Eagles 27-25 in Brady's first outing since tearing his knee ligaments in week one of last season. Elsewhere, the Steelers beat the Cards in a repeat of this years Super Bowl, the Raiders upset the Cowboys and the Ravens thrashed the 'Skins, with Washington failing to score a point.

On Thursday, the 2009 NFL season shall commence with reigning Super Bowl Champions, the Pittsburgh Steelers, kicking things off against the Tenessee Titans. There's a fair few tasty affairs going off next weekend with several divisional rivals squaring up, like Jacksonville and Indianapolis, Washington and the New York Giants and most of all, Chicago and Green Bay. These two have one of the longest rivals running in the NFL and, with Chicago being my team, I am looking forward to this one the most! :D

Other news is that Michael Vick has been reinstated by NFL General Comissioner, Roger Goodell and will be available to play for his new side, the Philidelphia Eagles, from week 3 onwards. From a pure footballing aspect, I'm really looking forward to seeing if he's still got it although the moral issues regarding his reinstatement could rage on all year long.

Any other NFL fanatics out there that I can share my enthusiasm with? :o

On Thursday' date=' the 2009 NFL season shall commence with reigning Super Bowl Champions, the Pittsburgh Steelers, kicking things off against the Tenessee Titans. There's a fair few tasty affairs going off next weekend with several divisional rivals squaring up, like Jacksonville and Indianapolis, Washington and the New York Giants and most of all, Chicago and Green Bay. These two have one of the longest rivals running in the NFL and, with Chicago being my team, I am looking forward to this one the most! :D

Other news is that Michael Vick [i']has [/i]been reinstated by NFL General Comissioner, Roger Goodell and will be available to play for his new side, the Philidelphia Eagles, from week 3 onwards. From a pure footballing aspect, I'm really looking forward to seeing if he's still got it although the moral issues regarding his reinstatement could rage on all year long.

Any other NFL fanatics out there that I can share my enthusiasm with? :o

Is it acceptable forum ettiquette to invade this thread just to say that i find American Football the most boring thing on earth and then unsubscribe....? ;)

wouldnt say i'm a fanatic but i do like to watch it - is a tv deal secured yet? heard sky are in talks but nothing concrete' date=' maybe espn are going to sneak in there?[/quote']

Bloody hell, burs, you scared me then! If they were only going to show NFL on ESPN then I think I might have cried! Just done a quick search and Sky have sorted out that deal which will last for the next three years. It only got sorted in the past couple of days. Here's a link as evidence:

LINK

Is it acceptable forum ettiquette to invade this thread just to say that i find American Football the most boring thing on earth and then unsubscribe....? ;)

No it's not, so get lost! :P

Bloody hell' date=' burs, you scared me then! If they were only going to show NFL on ESPN then I think I might have cried! Just done a quick search and Sky have sorted out that deal which will last for the next three years. It only got sorted in the past couple of days. Here's a link as evidence:

LINK

doesnt say anything about monday night games tho - is that on five again?

doesnt say anything about monday night games tho - is that on five again?

I can't find anything about the Monday night games. Maybe they're still up for grabs? It appears that Five have got themselves Sky's third game on a Sunday' date=' which starts at around midnight. I don't mind this at all, but I do like Sky's coverage, Nick Halling in particular, and it just so happens that this Sunday's game on Five is the Bears against the Packers.

LINK