The Official NFL Thread.

andyowls

Re: The NEW Official NFL Thread.

Devin Hester break the NFL record for punt return TDs after a 69-yarder against the Panthers today. Plenty more to come as well....

The standout game so far today, your running game has been very successful with Forte making some huge runs - great to watch :D

Also, Cam Newton showed he's human after all lol

The standout game so far today' date=' your running game has been very successful with Forte making some huge runs - great to watch :D

Also, Cam Newton showed he's human after all lol[/quote']

Aye, could be a real shootout this one! Shame I can't watch it, although watching the Lions get beat up is never a bad thing. Good to see we've actually got a run game after abandoning it completely the last couple of weeks. :/

True! Yet he's still already given Smith yet another 100-yard game and run in for 2TDs himself! He's definitely for real.

Aye' date=' could be a real shootout this one! Shame I can't watch it, although watching the Lions get beat up is never a bad thing. Good to see we've actually got a run game after abandoning it completely the last couple of weeks. :/

True! Yet he's still already given Smith yet another 100-yard game and run in for 2TDs himself! He's definitely for real.[/quote']

Oh Newton's definitely for real, i didn't realise how massive he is until i saw a clip of his 1 yard TD run - he seems to have everything in his locker. The game could go either way after the Panthers won the second quarter, i wouldn't be surprised if the game went to OT.

I have to say, i've been really impressed with the Redskins so far this season, they are hammering the Rams in their game and look to be going 3-1 for the season. NFC East has to be one of the most competitive divisions in the NFL, we've got a right fight on our hands if we want to reach the play-offs!!

Oh Newton's definitely for real' date=' i didn't realise how massive he is until i saw a clip of his 1 yard TD run - he seems to have everything in his locker. The game could go either way after the Panthers won the second quarter, i wouldn't be surprised if the game went to OT.[/quote']

Just about holding out at the minute. One more score should do it, hopefully...

Just seen Megatron make an unreal jump-ball catch up against 3 'Boys defenders for his 7th TD of the season already. Man, I wish he were a Bear...

EDIT: Forte is tearing it up! Approaching 200 all-purpose yards!

Just about holding out at the minute. One more score should do it' date=' hopefully...

Just seen Megatron make an unreal jump-ball catch up against 3 'Boys defenders for his 7th TD of the season already. Man, I wish he were a Bear...

EDIT: Forte is tearing it up! Approaching 200 all-purpose yards![/quote']

Indeed, Johnson doesn't belong with such a duff team!! Forte is having an incredible game and i think if you can stop this Panther drive on 3 and 12 then you've got the win.

I'm just readying myself for the Giants game at 9, hopefully we can make it 3-1 but Kolb and Fitzgerald seem to be gelling more with every game so its going to be a toughie.

Indeed' date=' Johnson doesn't belong with such a duff team!! Forte is having an incredible game and i think if you can stop this Panther drive on 3 and 12 then you've got the win.

I'm just readying myself for the Giants game at 9, hopefully we can make it 3-1 but Kolb and Fitzgerald seem to be gelling more with every game so its going to be a toughie.[/quote']

To be fair, Detroit are a far better outfit than previous years this season. Definitely play-off contenders, especially if they can pull-off another superb comeback win here, which is very possible.

Da Bears have sealed it following another huge run by Forte, giving him 205 on the ground today, with Marion Barber punching it in from three yards. Tough, tough win, but a vital win nonetheless.

To be fair' date=' Detroit are a far better outfit than previous years this season. Definitely play-off contenders, especially if they can pull-off another superb comeback win here, which is very possible.

Da Bears have sealed it following another huge run by Forte, giving him 205 on the ground today, with Marion Barber punching it in from three yards. Tough, tough win, but a vital win nonetheless.[/quote']

Oh they've improved but whenever i hear their name mentioned i think of that dreadful 2008 season they had haha

A great win for you guys, i think you should play the running game more often based on his performance today!

Its kick-off in Arizona, c'mon you G-Men :D

Edit: Wonderful start by us as we fail to convert a third down, not this old chesnut again :rolleyes: - luckily our defence limits them to a field-goal. Not a very inspiring start by any means...

Oh Newton's definitely for real' date=' i didn't realise how massive he is until i saw a clip of his 1 yard TD run [/quote']

Same, what a lump! :eek:

Gonna be so angry if the Eagles don't beat the Niners, we seem to just be squandering so much with dodgy play calls and penalties, and this game, two missed field goals from under 40 yards. And apparently Trent Cole has gone off injured, and he's been our only good pass rusher so if we lose him for any amount of time we're going to be hurting on defence.

Aaaand just as I type this SF score to go 24-23 up. :mad:

*EDIT* Oh my christ, now we're going down the field with plenty of time on the clock and 2 timeouts for a field goal, offsides on them for a nice 2 and 5, Vick throws it to Maclin, gets the first down with about 10 yards on top and then fumbles it. Hating life.

Same' date=' what a lump! :eek:

Gonna be so angry if the Eagles don't beat the Niners, we seem to just be squandering so much with dodgy play calls and penalties, and this game, two missed field goals from under 40 yards. And apparently Trent Cole has gone off injured, and he's been our only good pass rusher so if we lose him for any amount of time we're going to be hurting on defence.

Aaaand just as I type this SF score to go 24-23 up. :mad:[/quote']

You lot are an enigma Mike, you've got a team most sides could only dream of having but you are making so many silly errors its untrue - albeit Vick has made some awesome plays, like that one in the first half when he ducked two SF defenders and threw the ball to Harbor for a TD!!!

We have got off to a shocker, Eli can't throw for toffee and we can't even get out of our own 20 :o

You lot are an enigma Mike' date=' you've got a team most sides could only dream of having but you are making so many silly errors its untrue - albeit Vick has made some awesome plays, like that one in the first half when he ducked two SF defenders and threw the ball to Harbor for a TD!!!

We have got off to a shocker, Eli can't throw for toffee and we can't even get out of our own 20 :o[/quote']

That's what makes it so bloody frustrating! I don't mind supporting a team that are generally mediocre, I support Southampton in actual football and England in every national sport so I've grown up supporting useless teams, but watching an Eagles game it's about 30 minutes of watching the best football that is played anywhere in the league and 30 minutes of tearing your hair out. In each of the key offensive positions we've got players that are up there in the top 3 or 5 players in the league along with a defence that is right up there as well. And yet, we're 1-3 whilst teams like the Buffalo Bloody Bills are 3-1. Dearie me. I can't comment on any real specifics of the game today because I didn't manage to see much of it but from the looks of it it was another game where we just made a stupid amount of basic errors.

I think your lot will be fine against the Cardinals, unless Fitzgerald makes a couple of big plays sheer class alone should be enough to overcome them. But 5/9 for 18 for Eli doesn't look good.

That's what makes it so bloody frustrating! I don't mind supporting a team that are generally mediocre' date=' I support Southampton in actual football and England in every national sport so I've grown up supporting useless teams, but watching an Eagles game it's about 30 minutes of watching the best football that is played anywhere in the league and 30 minutes of tearing your hair out. In each of the key offensive positions we've got players that are up there in the top 3 or 5 players in the league along with a defence that is right up there as well. And yet, we're 1-3 whilst teams like the Buffalo Bloody Bills are 3-1. Dearie me. I can't comment on any real specifics of the game today because I didn't manage to see much of it but from the looks of it it was another game where we just made a stupid amount of basic errors.

I think your lot will be fine against the Cardinals, unless Fitzgerald makes a couple of big plays sheer class alone should be enough to overcome them. But 5/9 for 18 for Eli doesn't look good.[/quote']

I'm not so sure mate, Arizona have started well and Eli seems to be having one of his many off days :rolleyes: Not to mention our run game has been bloody awful so far - we couldn't get out of our own 20 after the kick off which led to them scoring a field goal :o If it wasn't for our red zone defence being so good so far this season, we'd be 0-7 going into the 2nd quarter.

If we keep this up we will be joining you on 1-3 mate and the Redskins will be top of NFC East after they beat the Rams today to go 3-1!!

Edit: Doh! We will be 2-2 lol our dreadful start is messing with my head!!

And thats why Larry Fitzgerald is the best WR in the NFL, a stunning 47 yard catch which leads to a touchdown for the Cardinals - we are 10-13 down now...

Our offense has been so bad i don't even know where to start, i know just how you feel Mikey - FRUSTRATED :mad:

Edit: Yet another third down goes unconverted after some great passing play, i was just getting excited then...

Sorry guys, but the story of the day is not the Eagles' loss but the Lions' win. One of the worst teams in NFL history up until last year, is now 4-0 and, in the process, became the first team in NFL history to win consecutive games by coming back from a 0-20 deficit. I'm stunned !

I'm sure Jozua will be bouncing off the roof after the Giants comeback against the Cardinals, thats if he didn't throw his TV at the wall when Wells scored his last TD.

The Lions' comeback was pretty good, two TD interceptions for Romo though, oh dear.

Sorry guys' date=' but the story of the day is not the Eagles' loss but the Lions' win. One of the worst teams in NFL history up until last year, is now 4-0 and, in the process, became the first team in NFL history to win consecutive games by coming back from a 0-20 deficit. I'm stunned ![/quote']

Agreed, their transformation has been nothing short of miraculous and to come back from those two games is something else. Fair play to them and i hope they sustain it for the rest of the season. They have three high quality players in the shape of Stafford, Johnson and Suh who will always perform on match day so they should definitely be competing for a play-off berth.

I'm sure Jozua will be bouncing off the roof after the Giants comeback against the Cardinals' date=' thats if he didn't throw his TV at the wall when Wells scored his last TD.

The Lions' comeback was pretty good, two TD interceptions for Romo though, oh dear.[/quote']

I think i need to fix myself up with a pacemaker mate, we hardly ever win a game the easy way!!

In all honesty i don't know how we won that game, the Cardinals should have been out of sight by the 4th quarter. We gave away over 100 yards in penalties, our rushing play was ineffectual, and Eli wasn't on the same page as the receivers in the first half but credit to the team they turned up the heat when it mattered, amassing 21 points in the final quarter!! As you can imagine i went as wild as i could without waking the neighbours :P

Positives we can take from the game are: Cruz had another great game, receiving six passes for a total of 98 yards; we can win ugly; and we sure know how to make a 4th quarter comeback, after coming from behind against you lot last week.

Loving watching my Eagles continue to be an epic fail. I think it's no coincidence that our two main short-comings are on the Offensive Line and Defence, since our Offensive Line coach Juan Castillo, became our Defensive Co-ordinator. An amazing choice, I might add, considering his credentials are that he coached Defence in High School 30 yards ago and has been an Offensive coach ever since, and that the only reason he was made the D Co-ordinator is that he 'always dreamed of being one', which makes sense to me, definitely a good idea to make someone a Defensive Co-ordinator only because he wants to be, rather than perhaps, SOMEONE WHO IS AN ACTUAL DEFENSIVE CO-ORDINATOR?! So yeah, new Defensive Co-ordinator, new Offensive Line coach, and our defence has been generally terrible and logically flawed, and our Offensive Line has left Vick more exposed than Lindsay Lohan's genitalia after three vodka and cokes.

But yeah, I don't even need to mention any specifics of todays game as to why we're failing, because we're 21-7 down to the Bills, that just sums it up perfectly.

Ergh. :mad:

*EDIT* Well that's just the icing on the cake, 3rd and 10 on the Bills' 30 with 8 seconds left in the half. We decide to take one quick shot to the end zone before kicking a field goal, and Vick holds onto it for 6 seconds then throws it over the end zone as time runs out. I think he was so shocked that the pocket was actually holding together that he just kept holding onto it... Tired of seeing so many of those basic errors this season. 'Dream Team' my arse.

Well defensively, that was the worst half of football we've played all season - looks like we haven't learnt the lessons from Arizona. Their first drive of the quarter ended in a touchdown, 80 yards in 5 plays is just embarrassing against the Seahawks who's passing game is notoriously poor. We replied in the best possible fashion, with Eli making some fantastic plays and TE Jake Ballard scoring the second passing touchdown of his career.

I then thought we'd kick on from there but oh no, our D-Line goes to sleep and allows Lynch to run for a whopping 47 yard gain - an absolute shocker. Fortunately we managed to level it at 14-14 just before the half time whistle when Eli threw to Nicks for a very nice 19 yard touchdown.

Offensively we are looking very good, with Eli 10/15 for 147 yards and our receiving core is playing very well. Jake Ballard is having another fantastic game, with 2 catches for 40 yards and a touchdown to go with his first career TD last week in Arizona - i'm personally very excited about this guy who seems to be maturing into a very good all-round TE.

With our offence playing the way they are, if the D-Line can get themselves sorted then we can easily win this game - COYG!!

@Mikey - i seriously don't know what to say about the Eagles, 1-4 is unthinkable and would leave them a mountain to climb if they want to challenge for the play-offs.

@Mikey - i seriously don't know what to say about the Eagles' date=' 1-4 is unthinkable and would leave them a mountain to climb if they want to challenge for the play-offs.[/quote']

1-3 is a mountain to climb, 1-4 is a mountain to climb with no legs.

Also, Nicks' catch for the TD was niiiice, love that guy.

1-3 is a mountain to climb' date=' 1-4 is a mountain to climb with no legs.

Also, Nicks' catch for the TD was niiiice, love that guy.[/quote']

Haha, i think you hit the nail on the head as to the root of the problem. I just don't think your Defensive Coordinator is up to the job because you shouldn't be struggling with players like Trent Cole, Nnamdi Asomugha and Asante Samuel in your defence.

Yeah Nicks is something special, when him and Eli get on the same page magic happens :D:D - tbh i think we've got a very strong WR core this season with Nicks, Manningham and Cruz all playing very well atm. The problem we have is that we haven't got a natural inside guy in the slot but Ballard seems to be stepping up and filling that position competently this season.

However, today we are still struggling with our run game and we've come out in the second half very lethargic and have just conceded a safety... boy oh boy.

Edit: I've just seen the replay of that safety, holy smoke their DT Hargrove ploughs through our O-Line and hits DJ Ware for six - ouch :o

Not as nice as the catch just made by Dwayne Bowe! Oh my days! :eek:

Indeed, that was some tekkers right there. :eek:

Just when I think we might be putting momentum together we just go and screw it up every time. Our defence finally puts together a nice 3-and-out on the Bills 40, they punt it, Jackson for some reason lets it bounce and the Bills grab it and pin us on our 2 yard line. Then there's a nice play to Avant for about 30 yards and I'm breathing a sigh of relief, and then Avant suddenly thinks he's superman and tries to jink through 3 guys whilst standing up tall and showing them the ball instead of ducking and taking the tackle, I'm sat here thinking 'Christ just get down get down get down', and surprise surprise, ball stripped, fumble, give them the ball on our own 30. Awesome.

Listen to you two whining and moaning! :P

Thought McCoy was going all the way for a big score there, was backing him to beat the deep DB but Byrd absolutely drilled him. Amazing tackle.

Nay bother, Jackson takes a nice screen in on the very next play! Game on!

We are never going to win this game if we keep on going third and out' date=' thats about the fourth time in the match now :rolleyes:[/quote']

I think we've had about 3/4 3rd downs completions out of about 10. Not what you need.

YES! That's what we need, McCoy for 33 then Jackson for a 31 yard touchdown with basically all those yards after the catch. On the one hand this is why I love the Eagles, the big explosive plays, so good to watch, but it would be nice if we were able score points on nice basic drives, rather than only being able to score when we have really big plays. No way we're ever going to be a succesful team in the playoffs and get anywhere near the Superbowl or winning it unless we can consistently score points with 10 play drives with a few 4 or 5 play drives on top, rather than soley relying on those quick explosive drives. I say a succesful team in the playoffs, we need that to just get to the playoffs, not just do well in them.

Now COME ON DEFENCE, 3 and out pleeease.