The Official NFL Thread.

andyowls

Re: The NEW Official NFL Thread.

I apologise for my absence on the thread yesterday, i couldn't take my eyes off the game!! A great win for us over a very good Bills side last night that puts us 4-2 going into the bye week. I think if we'd been offered that at the start of the season, considering how many key players we have out through injury, Coughlin would of bitten their arm off!!

The Eagles finally ended their terrible run with a great victory over the Redskins - i knew Rex's true self would have to emerge at some point lol. I honestly think a 9-7 record could win NFC East this year its that tight.

Well i hate bye week as it makes my Sunday's a little empty but there are some great games to keep me entertained :D

Oh and a fantastic win for your lot Andy, you caned the Vikings!!

I apologise for my absence on the thread yesterday' date=' i couldn't take my eyes off the game!! A great win for us over a very good Bills side last night that puts us 4-2 going into the bye week. I think if we'd been offered that at the start of the season, considering how many key players we have out through injury, Coughlin would of bitten their arm off!!

The Eagles finally ended their terrible run with a great victory over the Redskins - i knew Rex's true self would have to emerge at some point lol. I honestly think a 9-7 record could win NFC East this year its that tight.

Well i hate bye week as it makes my Sunday's a little empty but there are some great games to keep me entertained :D

Oh and a fantastic win for your lot Andy, you caned the Vikings!![/quote']

Apology declined! A lack of attendance is distinctly frowned upon! :P

Gotta say, another top win for the G-men yesterday. The Bills are no mugs this season, and Fred Jackson had yet another stellar day - who knew he'd be a fantasy stud this season?! The Giants are doing really well at grinding out these close games and just finding a way to come out on top even when they don't look like their playing all that great.

And you might be right about the NFC East...I just wish I could say the same about the NFC North, since it seems a 16-0 record might win our division...!

Yes, there are some great games on next week - at Wembley! For which there are still tickets available.... ;)

To be fair' date=' last night the O-line played really well! Chris Williams in particular had a good game, as did Lance Louis. Maybe there's hope for them yet as, although they're by no means as feared as they once were, the Vikings D-line is still pretty good.

Was really pleased with our performance from last night. Cutler managed the ball well, mainly because he was able to stay on his feet for most of the night, being sacked on just the one occasion. Hester kept up his amazing form against the Vikes with two more TDs, a deep strike from Cutler and yet another return, this time from a kick-off. Forte got yet another 100+ yards from scrimmage (pay the man, Jerry!) and even Roy Williams managed to get three catches for 50 yards! But best of all, the defense stepped up to the plate by completely nullifying AP and knocking McNabb out of the game after a series of sacks in the second half.

If we could manage to pick up a win against the Bucs next week at Wembley (where I shall be in attendance! :D), then we'd be right back in the race for a wildcard place - because, let's face it, nobody in the NFC North will knock the Packers off their stride... :/[/quote']

Thats great to hear that the team is performing a bit better. I wasn't able to watch as we get very little coverage in Aus (only 4-6 games a week on Foxtel and 2 on free to air). Its disgusting the way they are treating Forte, without him we would be dead in the water this season.

How is Johnny Knox doing?

Apology declined! A lack of attendance is distinctly frowned upon! :P

Gotta say' date=' another top win for the G-men yesterday. The Bills are no mugs this season, and Fred Jackson had yet another stellar day - who knew he'd be a fantasy stud this season?! The Giants are doing really well at grinding out these close games and just finding a way to come out on top even when they don't look like their playing all that great.

And you might be right about the NFC East...I just wish I could say the same about the NFC North, since it seems a 16-0 record might win our division...!

Yes, there are some great games on next week - at Wembley! For which there are still tickets available.... ;)[/quote']

I think you're enjoying taunting me over the Wembley game :P

Yeah i feel your pain with regards to NFC North, that is one hell of a tough division now the Lions are playing so well. I think Green Bay will win the division ofc but you, Detroit or even the Vikings have a chance of getting a wild card.

Fred Jackson is in lightning form at the moment and if you've got him in your fantasy team then your laughing - his 60 yard TD run against us showed a glimpse of what he is capable of (albeit our secondary went to sleep on that play :o). Overall it was a really impressive performance by us yesterday, Eli didn't concede any interceptions for starters :eek: The fact that we are picking up wins against good sides when we are no where near playing to our full potential is a really positive sign going forward. I just hope we get a few starters fit over the next two weeks as our schedule after the bye is pretty tough to say the least...

After Jason Campbell is placed on injured reserve' date=' the Oakland Raiders trade a 2012 1st-round pick and and 2013 2nd-round pick to the Cincinnati Bengals to acquire Carson Palmer.

HOW MUCH?!?!?!?!?! :eek::o[/quote']

The worst example of a panic buy that i've seen in the NFL, sheer lunacy :eek:

The worst example of a panic buy that i've seen in the NFL' date=' sheer lunacy :eek:[/quote']

The fact that Andy Dalton has settled in so well makes this seem like absolute daylight robbery in favour of the Bengals.

Btw dude, I've just seen the G-men's upcoming schedule after Miami:

@ New England

@ San Francisco

Philadelphia

@ New Orleans

Green Bay

@ Dallas

Good luck with that... :o

The fact that Andy Dalton has settled in so well makes this seem like absolute daylight robbery in favour of the Bengals.

Btw dude' date=' I've just seen the G-men's upcoming schedule after Miami:

@ New England

@ San Francisco

Philadelphia

@ New Orleans

Green Bay

@ Dallas

Good luck with that... :o[/quote']

I know!! The Bengals have got a cracking deal out of a player who was going to be sitting on the sidelines for the season, fair play to them they have well and truly mugged the Raiders :P

They've really impressed me this season, they've built a team of quality draft picks over the last few seasons and its paying dividends - A.J. Green has been outstanding so far and Dalton is playing like a 4 year pro not a rookie!! Now with another first round draft pick for 2012 they have a chance to build a team that could compete for the playoffs for many years.

Yeah our schedule is horrendous after the bye, there are certainly no easy games there and i think we would do well to be on 7-6 after that lot!! I just hope we get a few of our key guys back like Tuck, Snee and Jacobs by the Miami game because we are going to need everyone fit to get through those run of games :o

@ New England

@ San Francisco

Philadelphia

@ New Orleans

Green Bay

@ Dallas

That and the Eagles slightly easier record is the only thing which makes me hopeful that we can turn this around and get to the play-offs this season. That's relying on us not being rubbish and Eli Manning doing his thing and being a bit dodgy rather than using the year that Peyton wont be playing to get out from under his brothers shadow.

@ New England

@ San Francisco

Philadelphia

@ New Orleans

Green Bay

@ Dallas

Not to mention the 13m per season they get off their wage bill

Here are my thoughts on the game last night...:

Went to Wembley last night to see the Bears beat the Bucs, and although I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, I can't help but feel a little bit let down by the whole spectacle. I think the biggest problem was that, because I'm such a huge Bears fan and because I was looking forward to this game soooooo much, I had very, very high expectations. And when something isn't everything you hoped for, then you're going to feel a little bit deflated no matter how much you still enjoyed the occasion.

My biggest bug-bear was the lack of atmosphere inside the stadium. Part of it was certainly due to the fact that the match wasn't even a contest until the Bucs finally decided to show up in the fourth quarter. On offense, Tampa were pretty terrible for 80% of the game, and it's hard for a crowd to get emotionally involved in a game that isn't particularly competitive. Forte was shredding the Tampa D on the ground, and despite not posting overly impressive numbers, I thought Cutler managed the game really well. When the Bucs did decide to start playing, the crowd really got into things and it made for a really exciting end to the game. Just the little things like the cannons going off when Tampa finally scored six points and the announcer screaming, "and that's another Buccaneer's first down!", got the crowd involved and excited (perhaps things could have been better if it were the Bears hosting, not the Bucs...). But for much of the match, the atmosphere was really flat and that was extremely disappointing. The fact that the "Helmet Shuffle" game on the big screen got perhaps the biggest crowd reaction of the night spoke volumes...

However, I also think the atmospheric problems could just be due to us Brits not really knowing how to work up the tempo like they can across the pond. American football crowds are very different to soccer crowds, which sing and chant many different tunes. On the contrary, American football crowds have very few chants and just rely on making as much noise as possible more often than not - and to superb effect too. I'm just not sure we understand that on a large scale, and I worry whether, if we ever did get a franchise based in the UK, we could generate the type of intimidating atmosphere that some of the sides in the States could.

Plus, my personal experience was soured by that utter moron sat in front of me, also cheering on the Bears. However, he was clearly a novice who didn't have a clue about the game. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but the fact that he tried picking a fight with anyone who cheered on the Bucs as if he were at the United/City derby was embarrassing and unbelievably annoying. I was very close to texting the Anti-Social Behavioural Text Service with the aim of getting him ejected.

But please, don't get me wrong. Despite this long, negative-sounding post, I did really enjoy the game and wouldn't have missed it for the world. Watching the Bears and visiting Wembley are two things I've wanted to do for a very long time, and I got to do them together. Not only that, but I saw the Bears WIN at Wembley! :D

P.S. Adam, I'd be really keen to hear your thoughts.

Although i wasn't there i know where you are coming from Andy, i was watching the game on TV and the atmosphere didn't look great until the 4th quarter when Tampa woke up. I think it was probably a mixture of the game being very one sided for the majority of the game and as you say we are two very different cultures when it comes to watching sport (they are very vocal and hyperactive whereas we are more reserved and rely on banter/chants to build an atmosphere).

I also think it doesn't help when you have a lot of neutrals attending the match: there are going to be Pats, Packers, Jets, Giants, Eagles fans etc in the crowd who are not as attached to the Bears/Bucs and therefore don't get as absorbed in the game as you for instance.

I'm still going to next year's IS game though, but my ultimate ambition is to go across the pond to see the Giants at Meadowlands in the near future - i think that would be an incredible experience!! :D

Watched some highlights of the Wembley game and it was basically the 4th quarter.

Did watch the Saints thrash the Colts though. 9 consecutive scoring drives for the Saints and the Colts looked poor in offense and defense with many mistakes most notably the Centre snapping the ball before the QB was even ready which I found pretty funny.

I think there is more problems with the Colts not just the fact they're missing Peyton Manning.

Watched some highlights of the Wembley game and it was basically the 4th quarter.

Did watch the Saints thrash the Colts though. 9 consecutive scoring drives for the Saints and the Colts looked poor in offense and defense with many mistakes most notably the Centre snapping the ball before the QB was even ready which I found pretty funny.

I think there is more problems with the Colts not just the fact they're missing Peyton Manning.

I think his absence has shown how much the Colts offence is built around him, Painter is just not doing the job his pass accuracy is terrible. However their secondary is just not clicking at all, the coverage on the Colston's TDs was awful.

I suppose at least they are in the sweepstake for Andrew Luck now, who is apparently the most NFL ready QB to come out of college since Peyton himself. It will be interesting to see if they tank the rest of the season in order to get first pick, as it would be a perfect situation for the Colts: Draft Luck and have him learn off one of the best QBs of all time until Peyton hangs up his boots.

Lol' date=' Adam - the Dolphins are so bad they're now getting ripped on South Park! :P

[b']Btw, on a seperate issue, I think it's an absolute joke that you're already allowed to vote for players to go to the Pro Bowl[/b]... :rolleyes:

Agreed, voting shouldn't commence until at least week 10. Tbh the Pro-Bowl is a bit of a farce considering players normally get voted in due to their popularity rather than how well they've played throughout the season.

Agreed' date=' voting shouldn't commence until at least week 10. Tbh the Pro-Bowl is a bit of a farce considering players normally get voted in due to their popularity rather than how well they've played throughout the season.[/quote']

Yeh, it all goes on reputation in the majority of cases. Peyton Manning will probably go without taking a single snap this season! :D

Yeh' date=' it all goes on reputation in the majority of cases. Peyton Manning will probably go without taking a single snap this season! :D[/quote']

I wouldn't be surprised at all, perhaps Carson Palmer has a shout after all the fuss that's been created over his move to Oakland :P

Some game this between The Chargers and the Packers, looked like the Packers were running away with it but San Diego have fought massively, its currently 45 - 38 with the Packers on there own 10 and as I type Rodgers throws it incomplete on 3rd down.