The Official NFL Thread.

andyowls

Re: The NEW Official NFL Thread.

Apparently DeSean Jackson is inactive against the Cards this week because he 'failed to appear at a Special Teams meeting'. I'm guessing there's a bit more to it than that, starting to look more and more likely that he wont be an Eagles player next season. Slightly troubling, because whilst some games he's a no-show, he also makes some big plays and win games, whereas Avant and Maclin this season have been decidedly dodgy at times this season, and have pretty much cost us 3 games between them.

I was just thinking about the games we've lost this season and why, Vick getting injured/being a bit rubbish, the defence being pathetic, Maclin and Avant dropping/fumbling the ball/falling over, missing two 30 yard field goals in a game. So frustrating that such basic things have lead us to being 3-5.

Watching the Eagles is making me sick to my stomach recently. Our 5th 4th quarter lead blow-out this season sees us go down 21-17 to the Cardinals, puts us at 3-6 and pretty much kills our season.

Dropping Jackson really came back to bite us in the arse as Maclin got injured leaving us without our two best WRs. I understand punishing Jackson (apparently his attitude has been terrible all season), but it seems arrogant to assume we can waltz into the game without our best wideout and still win the game, particularly when we were 3-5. So a different punishment would of been better in my opinion. That contributed to us having 5 dropped catches in the game and made it hard for Vick to accomplish anything, particularly when he's playing pretty rubbish anyway. But regardless, McCoy got 81 yards from 14 carries, Vick 79 from 8, meanwhile Vick was pretty bad in general and also missing his two favourite targets, but we still threw it 34 times, completing 16 times. Why didn't we just run it down their throats, we're the best rushing team in the league, the running game was working, passing game wasn't, we were ahead... I'm no NFL expert but surely, SURELY, you run the ball in that situation?

I know the knee-jerk reaction to a good team doing poorly is to blame the coach(es) rather than the players, and don't get me wrong, the players have to shoulder their share of the blame, but the coaching has been absolutely woeful at times this season. I really don't see Andy Reid keeping his job into the 2012 season, and I don't really think he should, so I hope to see him gone sooner rather than later. I mean the season is pretty much dead, we still have to play the Giants, Patriots and the Jets, and we pretty much have to go unbeaten and have the Giants slip-up a few times along the way. And if Reid and other members of the coaching staff (Castillo and Mudd), are to get the sack, I'd rather have it happen soon and give us the rest of the season to rebuild, rather than sacking him at the end of the season and throwing someone in a the deep-end with only the pre-season to sort a team with a LOT of issues out.

That being said, despite me just having a little 'I have all the answers' rant, I don't know enough about the NFL to have any clue who could be a replacement at Head Coach for Reid. Dipping into my limited knowledge of jobless head coaches and defensive/offensive co-ordinators looking for a step-up to a head coach role, the first which came into my head was Rob Ryan, wouldn't that be ironic? :D

Anyway, I just scrolled up and realised how much I just wrote in a period of about 5 minutes, I don't expect anyone to read it all because it was mainly just venting, but anyway, just for my curiosity, what's everyones opinion on Andy Reids position as coach of the Eagles at the moment? Deserved to take some of the blame but keep his job? Deserve to get sacked? Or is it all on the players?

Watching the Eagles is making me sick to my stomach recently. Our 5th 4th quarter lead blow-out this season sees us go down 21-17 to the Cardinals' date=' puts us at 3-6 and pretty much kills our season.

Dropping Jackson really came back to bite us in the arse as Maclin got injured leaving us without our two best WRs. I understand punishing Jackson (apparently his attitude has been terrible all season), but it seems arrogant to assume we can waltz into the game without our best wideout and still win the game, particularly when we were 3-5. So a different punishment would of been better in my opinion. That contributed to us having 5 dropped catches in the game and made it hard for Vick to accomplish anything, particularly when he's playing pretty rubbish anyway. But regardless, McCoy got 81 yards from 14 carries, Vick 79 from 8, meanwhile Vick was pretty bad in general and also missing his two favourite targets, but we still threw it 34 times, completing 16 times. Why didn't we just run it down their throats, we're the best rushing team in the league, the running game was working, passing game wasn't, we were ahead... I'm no NFL expert but surely, SURELY, you run the ball in that situation?

I know the knee-jerk reaction to a good team doing poorly is to blame the coach(es) rather than the players, and don't get me wrong, the players have to shoulder their share of the blame, but the coaching has been absolutely woeful at times this season. I really don't see Andy Reid keeping his job into the 2012 season, and I don't really think he should, so I hope to see him gone sooner rather than later. I mean the season is pretty much dead, we still have to play the Giants, Patriots and the Jets, and we pretty much have to go unbeaten and have the Giants slip-up a few times along the way. And if Reid and other members of the coaching staff (Castillo and Mudd), are to get the sack, I'd rather have it happen soon and give us the rest of the season to rebuild, rather than sacking him at the end of the season and throwing someone in a the deep-end with only the pre-season to sort a team with a LOT of issues out.

That being said, despite me just having a little 'I have all the answers' rant, I don't know enough about the NFL to have any clue who could be a replacement at Head Coach for Reid. Dipping into my limited knowledge of jobless head coaches and defensive/offensive co-ordinators looking for a step-up to a head coach role, the first which came into my head was Rob Ryan, wouldn't that be ironic? :D

Anyway, I just scrolled up and realised how much I just wrote in a period of about 5 minutes, I don't expect anyone to read it all because it was mainly just venting, but anyway, just for my curiosity, what's everyones opinion on Andy Reids position as coach of the Eagles at the moment? Deserved to take some of the blame but keep his job? Deserve to get sacked? Or is it all on the players?[/quote']

Looking at the Eagles situation from the outside (Dolphins fan), I see similarities with our own situation. Andy Reid in my opinion has made many bad decisions, his decision to hire Juan Castillo as his defensive co-ordinator (despite Castillo's only experience of coaching being an offensive line coach) is one of those.

Michael Vick's performances simply havent been good enough. He showed last year that he was able to running a great offense, this year, he has been good, but not good enough. The running game has really improved and this should have made it easier for Vick, make him a better QB.

In my opinion I would say although Andy Reid has his faults, Michael Vick needs to step up and be the leader of the team.

Looking at the Eagles situation from the outside (Dolphins fan)' date=' I see similarities with our own situation. Andy Reid in my opinion has made many bad decisions, his decision to hire Juan Castillo as his defensive co-ordinator (despite Castillo's only experience of coaching being an offensive line coach) is one of those.

Michael Vick's performances simply havent been good enough. He showed last year that he was able to running a great offense, this year, he has been good, but not good enough. The running game has really improved and this should have made it easier for Vick, make him a better QB.

In my opinion I would say although Andy Reid has his faults, Michael Vick needs to step up and be the leader of the team.[/quote']

On the one hand I totally agree with you in that Vick has been sub-par a lot of the time and should really of stepped up, but I also feel like they haven't protected him in the ways they should have. The amount of injuries he's gotten due to the offensive line being dodgy, I mean he's been knocked out of games 5 times this season, and his receivers have really let him down with drops, fumbles, juggles into opponents hands, and not turning into a defensive back when they can't make a catch and stopping the defence from getting the interception. And then again today, his main WR is made inactive because he 'missed a special teams meeting', his second WR gets injured, and yet 36 throw calls are made as opposed to 14 run calls when McCoy was doing good work (I'm not counting Vicks runs as run calls as he's said they never call for him to run it they're all scrambles, something else I disagree with). So as a result of that he's throwing to the 4th and 5th choice WRs leading to 5 drops in the game, I mean at the end of the game before his second INT, they were progressing relatively well up the field, then Celek drops an easy pass forcing Vick into a big, difficult throw (which he should of done better with regardless) which gets picked off.

So yeah, a QB of Vick's status should really be stepping up and putting the team on his shoulders and supporting the team a lot of the time, but there's two sides to that, as he needs support from the team and the coaching staff too and I don't feel like he's getting that. I also think a big problem this season has been Vick and the coaching staff trying to counter-attack some of the weaknesses Vick is deemed to have (Like blitzing his left side, and throwing in the pocket) by trying to change his play style too much and putting him out of his comfort zone. I feel like he's trying to answer his critics too much and trying to make throws which he just can't make, when most top QBs just ignore any critics, ignore what the defence thinks their weaknesses are, and just play their own game as best as they can. Big Ben being a good example of that I feel, there's criticisms of him throwing from the pocket, but he just ignores that, and does his thing, extends plays with his feet then makes big plays. That doesn't mean I don't think there are improvements to Vicks game which he needs to make, and some he has made, but he's just tried to revolutionize his game too much and whilst it's worked some times it's been disastorous other times. He just needs to stop trying to look like Tom Brady and just play his game.

When i look at the Eagles i see a team that are not a cohesive unit but rather a collection of individuals. I think in a way you were doomed from the start, with all the quality FA additions over the summer the media dubbed you the 'Dream Team' and said that you'd walk the NFC East against a Redskin team without a franchise QB, a Giants team that had lost key players and a Cowboys team that have the talent to win the division but blow hot and cold too much. The pressure was too much and when you mix into that the huge amount of change within the team then its a recipe for disaster.

Andy Reid is a very good coach who i rate a lot but he has made some school boy errors this season. The main one is the appointment of Castillo as the DC even though he has no experience in that field but then there's his apparent reluctance to rely on the run game to win games. I mean in yesterday's game you were without Jackson and then you lose Maclin to injury so why on earth did the second best RB in the whole NFL only get 14 carries? Bizarre...

All your key players have failed to perform, the new CB pairing of Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromati has been woeful - two signings who were lauded in the off season. DeSean Jackson looks disinterested, Asante Samuel wants out, the Defence is a mess and when you add all this up you can see why the Eagles warrant their 3-6 record. As Bill Parcells said ' You are what you are'. One thing you cannot do is pin the blame on Vick, just like Rivers in SD, he's getting no protection from his O-Line and is having to run for his life on most plays.

The Eagles may as well rule this season out and try and evaluate what they need to do to fix this team so that they can challenge for the play-offs next year.

When i look at the Eagles i see a team that are not a cohesive unit but rather a collection of individuals. I think in a way you were doomed from the start' date=' with all the quality FA additions over the summer the media dubbed you the 'Dream Team' and said that you'd walk the NFC East against a Redskin team without a franchise QB, a Giants team that had lost key players and a Cowboys team that have the talent to win the division but blow hot and cold too much. The pressure was too much and when you mix into that the huge amount of change within the team then its a recipe for disaster.[/quote']

Yep, they might of been able to get away with if there was much of a pre-season, but basically we just threw a bunch of strangers onto the field with totally new (and in Castillo's case, rubbish) coaches and expected them to win football games. And the Dream Team thing, it wasn't even the media it was Vince God Damn Young, and as soon as it came out of his mouth the media just went 'Thank you very much.' and put it in every Eagles headline for the last two months.

Andy Reid is a very good coach who i rate a lot but he has made some school boy errors this season. The main one is the appointment of Castillo as the DC even though he has no experience in that field but then there's his apparent reluctance to rely on the run game to win games. I mean in yesterday's game you were without Jackson and then you lose Maclin to injury so why on earth did the second best RB in the whole NFL only get 14 carries? Bizarre...

Those are the things that annoy me so much' date=' it's frustrating but understandable to have a lack of team chemistry, for the O-Line to be under-par, those things happen, but the amount of basic coaching errors made this season is just not good enough.

All your key players have failed to perform, the new CB pairing of Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromati has been woeful - two signings who were lauded in the off season. DeSean Jackson looks disinterested, Asante Samuel wants out, the Defence is a mess and when you add all this up you can see why the Eagles warrant their 3-6 record. As Bill Parcells said ' You are what you are'. One thing you cannot do is pin the blame on Vick, just like Rivers in SD, he's getting no protection from his O-Line and is having to run for his life on most plays.

Again you can contribute some of this to poor coaching, Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie have been played in completely wrong roles that they're not comfortable with, and they have very little help most of the time because of our woeful defensive line leaving so many gaps for runners that need to be plugged by linebackers and safeties. They still should of done a bit better probably but they've been thrown into a system they're not comfortable with and just expected to play like Darrelle Revis and Dominique's cousin. DeSean Jackson seems to be trying to step-up and take the Terrell Owen's role now that he's buggered of to reality TV. And you can hardly blame Samuel for being displeased at them trying to trade him out of a secondary he carried for the last couple of years.

The Eagles may as well rule this season out and try and evaluate what they need to do to fix this team so that they can challenge for the play-offs next year.

Exactly my reasoning for getting AT LEAST Castillo out sooner rather than later, and possibly Reid too. Maybe I'm being too harsh on Reid, because I haven't been following the league for long enough to really see a lot of the good side of his coaching, but this season he's just looked like a walrus with a clipboard.

Been wanting to post here but my internet's been playing up since Sunday. This is my take on the Eagles debacle...and yes, I do mean debacle. Any side that lets JOHN SKELTON throw for 315 yards and 3 TD's deserve every ounce of humiliating derision thrown their way...:

I think the biggest problem with the Eagles is that they are a group of individuals, not a team. Even if you have the best player in the NFL for each and every position going, you're not necessarily going to be successful if you can't cooperate with your team mates. The classic example with the Eagles is that of Nnamdi Asomugha. Here we have one of the elite cornerbacks in the game today, somebody who is probably second best to Darelle Revis alone. And yet he continues to be under-utilised in an Eagles defence that isn't fit for him. For the majority of the season, he's been poor, and now he is gradually picking up his form as he gets to grip with Eagles defensive scheme, he's being mis-managed. At the weekend, he covered Larry Fitzgerald on 20 plays, who gained zero catches on two targets during those 20 plays. Unfortunately, on the other 26 plays when Asomugha wasn't, for some absurd reason, assigned to Fitzgerald, the Eagles were torched on seven catches for 146 yards and 2 TDs. Hmm... :rolleyes:

When you look around the league this season, you see several units who are being incredibly productive considering the personnel they have at their disposal. The Bills offense and the 49ers defense are examples of organisations who have put together a group of players who fit into the scheme they have going on. A lot of the players on those rosters aren't overly talented, and many have been cut by other sides and picked up off the scrap-heap. But if you get 11 players together who are good at the role they are being asked to do and will work hard for each other, then you have a chance of being successful. If you shoe-horn talented players and ask them to work outside their comfort-zone, like the Eagles are often doing, then you're asking for trouble.

I think there's more to it than just that, but that's my take on things.

At the weekend' date=' he covered Larry Fitzgerald on 20 plays, who gained zero catches on two targets during those 20 plays. Unfortunately, on the other 26 plays when Asomugha wasn't, for some absurd reason, assigned to Fitzgerald, the Eagles were torched on seven catches for 146 yards and 2 TDs. Hmm... :rolleyes:

[/quote']

I knew that Asomugha covered Fitzgerald pretty well and that the damage was done when others were covering him but I didn't know the exact stats and that just makes it crystal clear. The coaching has been atrocious this season, in every department.

There's been 10 weeks to sort loads of basic issues like this out, and they haven't been whatsoever and that's got to come down to the coaches at the end of the day.

LeGarrette Blount made an unbelievable 54-yard TD run in the first-half against the Packers, reminiscent of Marshawn Lynch's against the Saints in the play-offs last season. They're still getting their backsides handed to them though, by the ruthless Rodgers-led offense. I really can't see anyone beating them right now... :o:(

LeGarrette Blount made an unbelievable 54-yard TD run in the first-half against the Packers' date=' reminiscent of Marshawn Lynch's against the Saints in the play-offs last season. They're still getting their backsides handed to them though, by the ruthless Rodgers-led offense. I really can't see anyone beating them right now... :o:([/quote']

The Bears will.

Can't wait for the Giants-Philly game' date=' you staying up for it Mikey?[/quote']

Of course I am mate. ;)

I usually watch all three games every Sunday, although I drift in and out of them if they're not very competitive. Although if anything I'm more likely to not watch Eagles games as it can just be too frustrating.

I think I'll watch until Young throws his 5th pick then I'll give up. :P

Jay Cutler broke his thumb today' date=' gonna be out 6-8 weeks.[/quote']

That's a huge blow for the Bears, they seemed to be getting better and better at an important time of the season, they've got a fairly friendly schedule save for the Packers though, so Forte can probably carry them to 10-6, which you would think would get them a wildcard spot.

*EDIT* Scratch that, now that the Eagles have won, I think it's obvious for all to see that we will win out, I mean, we're not playing the Patriots and the Jets or anything... Meanwhile, the Bears will stumble without Cutler going 9-7, the Lions will lose twice against the Packers and against the the Saints, go 10-6, and the Falcons will continue to be a bit inconsistent and will stumble to 9-7. Then with everyone else being rubbish *cough* Cowboys *cough*, the Lions and Eagles will get the wildcard spots. Then the Eagles will shut-out every team they play in the play-offs and win the Superbowl by 100 points, and Michael Vick will be crowned King of Everything Ever.

Then again, I didn't really need to spell that out as there's no other real possibilities.

Jay Cutler broke his thumb today' date=' gonna be out 6-8 weeks.[/quote']

Nooooooooo! :(

I don't care what anyone says, Jay Cutler is a very, very good QB and we'll miss him dearly. But so long as the defense and special teams continue to thrive, I'm confident we can still make the play-offs given our not too daunting schedule. And maybe Caleb Hanie can show more of the positive play he showed in the NFC Championship Game earlier this year...

Ah man Mikey i'm embarrassed by that performance, absolutely pathetic.

Thats all i can say :P

Edit: As for the Bears losing Cutler thats a big blow for them, i've watched their last two games against SD and Detroit and he looked solid. However their Special Teams and D can win games for them so i expect them to still make the play-offs, who knows Cutler could be back by then because i can't imagine a broken thumb will require a lot of time out - 6-8 weeks?

Ah man Mikey i'm embarrassed by that performance' date=' absolutely pathetic.

Thats all i can say :P[/quote']

Don't feel too down man, I mean we had Vince Young, what was there you could do?! :P

I love how again, the media is starting to say that the NFC East is 'wide open' and the Eagles can mount a charge and challenge title, it's just like when we beat the Cowboys, one pretty good game and we're going to run the table. We've still been terrible for large amounts of the season, Vick still has a few issues and all we did was beat a below-par Giants team with no run game without Bradshaw. And we've still got an O-Line coach as our Defensive Co-ordinator.

If we have suddenly managed to right every wrong we have, then we could win-out the season, if the Patriots defence is **** and Sanchez does a Sanchez we could beat both of those teams and they are the main speed bumps, but yeah, I don't quite see it materialising.

Maybe now that the pressure is off because it looks like we're out of the race, a weight will be lifted and we can start to play good football, but somehow it seems doubtful. :P

Don't feel too down man' date=' I mean we had Vince Young, what was there you could do?! :P

I love how again, the media is starting to say that the NFC East is 'wide open' and the Eagles can mount a charge and challenge title, it's just like when we beat the Cowboys, one pretty good game and we're going to run the table. We've still been terrible for large amounts of the season, Vick still has a few issues and all we did was beat a below-par Giants team with no run game without Bradshaw. And we've still got an O-Line coach as our Defensive Co-ordinator.

If we have suddenly managed to right every wrong we have, then we could win-out the season, if the Patriots defence is **** and Sanchez does a Sanchez we could beat both of those teams and they are the main speed bumps, but yeah, I don't quite see it materialising.

Maybe now that the pressure is off because it looks like we're out of the race, a weight will be lifted and we can start to play good football, but somehow it seems doubtful. :P[/quote']

Without Vince Young it would have been a blowout, those three picks flattered us :o

The NFC East has been so exciting this season, there's no guarantee who will win it. The Cowboys are now tied with us on 6-4, and you are only 2 games behind now. Dallas are looking strong and are my pick to win the division as they have a very easy schedule down the stretch and i expect us to be two games behind when we face them in a couple of weeks. You guys looked really good on D yesterday Cullen Jenkins dealt some serious pain all game long (his hit on Ware was unbelievable!) and i think that's what dissapointed me the most about our performance yesterday, we just didn't look like we had the passion to win the game. Losing on home turf is inexcusable.

I'm done with predicting too much about our division its too unpredictable, all i can say is that if we continue to play like that we will be fortunate to end up with a winning record come January.