The Official NFL Thread.

andyowls

Re: The NEW Official NFL Thread.

Aye' date=' reckon I might need to start going to church myself!

Love some of the things you read on NFL.com...:[/quote']

Haha oh boy :rolleyes: - i don't think anyone thought the Broncos would have their very own bandwagon following before Tebow became No. 1 lol

Oh and Todd Haley has been sacked by the Chiefs if you didn't already know Andy :). Hardly surprising his butt has been burning all season :D

Oh and Todd Haley has been sacked by the Chiefs if you didn't already know Andy :). Hardly surprising his butt has been burning all season :D

Aye, saw that just now. Just shows how bad the Bears have become when a win over us that is pretty fresh in the memory can't save him his job!

If he knocks off Brady as well' date=' then I truly believe he can go all the way. Even beyond the Packers in the Super Bowl. There's something very supernatural about all of this...[/quote']

I genuinely think the only two teams that could beat the Packers are the Broncos and the Saints, the Saints because they just like the Packers have a top quality offence, and the Broncos on pure belief and team spirit and because they've clearly got the Flying Spaghetti Monster backing them.

Lol your so harsh on your team' date=' although i can't blame you :P[/quote']

Well when they've let me down so badly this season despite me continually thinking 'They'll get better, OK, NOW they'll get better, nope, well this week is our week.' I don't feel like affording them much charity.

And the christmas games should be crackers. Eh, crackers? Geddit? No? I'll be off then... :o

Tony Sparano fired by the Dolphins' date=' wish I could say I am going to miss him!!![/quote']

I like how they were clearly going to fire him and then the Dolphins won a few, and now as soon as they lose one they fire him. What did they expect? To win every remaining game? If they were going to fire him they might as well have done a few weeks ago and given a new coach more time to work rather than just wasting a few weeks.

Right, so I've had some time to get over the defeat at Tebowville. I'm calm, I'm composed and I'm realistic that the Bears season is over. Or is it? Here's the NFC Play-off picture as it stands:

1. Green Bay 13-0

2. San Fran 10-3

3. New Orleans 10-3

4. New York 7-6

5. Atlanta 8-5

6. Detroit 8-5

7. Chicago 7-6

8. Dallas 7-6

9. Seattle 6-7

10. Arizona 6-7

So, I've been looking into things and to stand any chance of making the play-offs, we HAVE to win 2 of our last 3 games. Those games are home to Seattle this weekend, @ Green Bay on Xmas Day and @ Minnesota on the final weekend. What I'm hoping for is that we somehow pull it out the bag this Sunday against a resurgent, Marshawn Lynch-led Seahawks side with some strong defense and more power running from Marion Barber (who, despite his two errors that ultimately cost us the game last weekend, still had a great showing). Next, we throw the Green Bay game. Don't bother rushing Matt Forte and Jay Cutler back from injury, it's just not worth it. Green Bay need an incentive to beat Detroit in Week 17, and if they are 14-1, they just won't have one (as if I'm suggesting we could actually beat the Packers...). Then, a refreshed Cutler and Forte return to action having had an extra week to recover and we beat the Vikings in Minnesota to finish the season 9-7. As it stands, this theory is plausible.

As for the other play-off contenders who are outside-looking-in like us Bears, I don't worry about them all too much. Seattle should be knocked off this weekend if we beat them, while I don't fancy Arizona to win out despite their two impressive victories in the last two weeks. One of Dallas/New York should be eliminated from the equation depending on who loses in what could be a winner-takes-all clash in Week 17. Whoever finishes second in the NFC East is guaranteed to have a 9-7 record at best, and the Bears would trump them in the tiebreaker virtue of an 8-4 conference record (should we beat Seattle and Minnesota, as predicted).

What the Bears really need is for either the Lions or the Falcons to slip up. Detroit have a pretty tough run-in. They travel to Oakland this weekend to face the play-off chasing Raiders. Carson Palmer may have sucked the past couple of games, but I could easily see the Black Hole army pulling them through this weekend. Next, Detroit hosts San Diego, who will hopefully also still be in the play-off hunt. I say "hopefully" since they currently lie 6-7 and host the 10-3 Ravens this weekend. Gulp. I need a San Diego win there so the Chargers have something to play for on Xmas Eve in Detroit. And on the final weekend, the Lions have the small matter of the Packers to deal with at Lambeau Field who should be chasing perfection. Stafford and co. shall unlikely be able to stop them.

So, three difficult games, and if they lose them all and finish 8-5, the 9-7 Bears make the play-offs. However, let's say they win one of those games (either against Oakland or San Diego, most likely) and finish 9-7 - who wins the tiebreaker? Well, presuming the Lions lose to Green Bay and we beat Minnesota, both sides shall have 3-3 divisional records. The third tiebreaker is both sides record against 12 common opponents. Here, the Bears are 5-5 and the Lions are 6-3. To win this tiebreaker, the Bears must beat the Packers and Vikings, and the Lions must lose all their final three games. Since I'm not entertaining any notion that we could beat the Packers, then I'm not hopeful about this option. In short, to knock off the Lions to make the play-offs, Detroit must lose all of their final three games.

As for the Falcons, I don't hold out much hope there. They host the Jaguars tonight, and given how good Matty Ice is at home, I think that's a no-go. On the plus-side, Atlanta do have to travel to New Orleans on Boxing Day, which should drop them to 9-6 as the Saints look to lock up the No.2 seed. The problem is that the Falcons entertain the Bucs in Week 17, who have been downright hopeless since a bright start. The good thing here, though, is that the Bears own the tiebreaker over the Falcons having beaten them in Week 1. If the Falcons were to, somehow, slip up against the Jags or Bucs, then we could maybe squeak into the play-offs.

So, to round-up, here's my (semi-)realistic prediction as to how the Bears make the play-offs:

Bears:

Week 15: WIN vs. Seattle

Week 16: LOSE @ Green Bay

Week 17: WIN @ Minnesota

And either:

Lions:

Week 15: LOSE @ Oakland

Week 16: LOSE vs San Diego

Week 17: LOSE @ Green Bay

Or:

Falcons:

Week 15: WIN/LOSE vs Jaguars

Week 16: LOSE @ Saints

Week 17: WIN/LOSE vs Buccaneers

As long as the Bears win this weekend, we're still in the hunt even if Detroit and Atlanta win this week. Only then, we'd be reliant on the Bucs shocking the Falcons in the Georiga Dome.

Optimistic? Not particularly. :o

Wow, thats some analysis Andy :eek:

A lot of ifs, buts and maybes but its still possible (just :P)

I feel for you fellas though because you're a perfect example of how key injuries can decimate a campaign - i hope we see each other in the play-offs :D

Haha Andy I've been doing exactly that weekly since about week 5, working out all the possible ways that we might be able to get through to the play-offs.

Personally, for the sake of my fantasy team, I'd rather you went through at the expense of the Lions, actually, just for the sake of who I like better, because the Lions annoy me a touch, whereas I quite like the Falcons. But yeah, I think I'll be relying on Matt Ryan quite heavily during the fantasy play-offs, and whilst he could still score a lot of points in a shoot-out with the Saints, for the Jags or Bucs to beat the Falcons they'd have to score quite low i.e. no points for Matty. :P

But yeah I feel for you mate, the Eagles despite losing Vick in games and for a few games, are going to miss out on the play-offs because of being a bit useless. Whereas your Bears looked to be going from strength to strength before Cutler and Forte got hurt.

I feel for you fellas though because you're a perfect example of how key injuries can decimate a campaign - i hope we see each other in the play-offs :D
But yeah I feel for you mate' date=' the Eagles despite losing Vick in games and for a few games, are going to miss out on the play-offs because of being a bit useless. Whereas your Bears looked to be going from strength to strength before Cutler and Forte got hurt.[/quote']

Thanks for your words of comfort guys. They mean absolutely jack in the grand scheme of things, but thanks anyway! :P

Got my second consecutive Friday off tomorrow, so I'll be up for Thursday night football once again - and I'll be a Jaguars fan for the night! Looking for another 4 TD performance from Maurice Jones-Drew like last week. :D

Anyone fancy joining me?

Thanks for your words of comfort guys. They mean absolutely jack in the grand scheme of things' date=' but thanks anyway! :P

Got my second consecutive Friday off tomorrow, so I'll be up for Thursday night football once again - and I'll be a Jaguars fan for the night! Looking for another 4 TD performance from Maurice Jones-Drew like last week. :D

Anyone fancy joining me?[/quote']

I'll be watching but I wont be cheering for the Jags. :P

Thanks for your words of comfort guys. They mean absolutely jack in the grand scheme of things' date=' but thanks anyway! :P

[b']Anyone fancy joining me?[/b]

You bet! i broke up from uni today so its wall to wall NFL for the next 3 weeks - good times :D

I too will be cheering on pocket Hercules and co because i don't like the Falcons, apart from Gonzo that is.

I'll be watching but I wont be cheering for the Jags. :P
You bet! i broke up from uni today so its wall to wall NFL for the next 3 weeks - good times :D

I too will be cheering on pocket Hercules and co because i don't like the Falcons' date=' apart from Gonzo that is.[/quote']

Excellent stuff!

This thread shall double in replies with our play-by-play expert analysis!

(And I do mean "expert" :D)

Breaking news:

Former Dallas Cowboys and current Chicago Bears WR Sam Hurd has been arrested on drug charges. He allegedly told an undercover agent he wanted to buy 5-10 kilos of cocaine and 1000lbs of marijuana A WEEK to distribute in Chicago.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/12/former-dallas-cowboy-sam-hurd.html

Yikes, he really is up sh!t creek without a paddle there! Good job it was only Sam Hurd and not Devin Hester - then our offense (/special teams) really would be screwed! :P

Breaking news:

Former Dallas Cowboys and current Chicago Bears WR Sam Hurd has been arrested on drug charges. He allegedly told an undercover agent he wanted to buy 5-10 kilos of cocaine and 1000lbs of marijuana A WEEK to distribute in Chicago.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/12/former-dallas-cowboy-sam-hurd.html

Yikes' date=' he really is up sh!t creek without a paddle there! Good job it was only Sam Hurd and not Devin Hester - then our offense (/special teams) really would be screwed! :P[/quote']

Oh dear, you lot can't stay outa the news lately :P - as you say it least it wasn't one of your key players!

Not long to go now :D

Were those stats they just put up about the Jags D for real? On the evidence of that first drive, I'm not so sure. Far too easy.

Time to see whether Blaine Gabbert's got much about him. Haven't had a chance to see him properly yet...from the clips I have seen, he hasn't been great.

Were those stats they just put up about the Jags D for real? On the evidence of that first drive' date=' I'm not so sure. Far too easy.

[b']Time to see whether Blaine Gabbert's got much about him. Haven't had a chance to see him properly yet...from the clips I have seen, he hasn't been great.[/b]

Yeah same, this is the first time i've seen the Jags this season so i'm looking forward to seeing what Gabbert can do.

Yeah same' date=' this is the first time i've seen the Jags this season so i'm looking forward to seeing what Gabbert can do.[/quote']

I'm not sure "looking forward to it" would be the words I would use! Just keep giving in MJD, Blaine. Pound the rock!

EDIT: Sacked! What did I JUST SAY?!?! :mad: