Sign in to follow this  
andyowls

The Official NFL Thread.

Re: The NEW Official NFL Thread.

Yeah I understand about the picks thing not being done at the beginning' date=' I think when you made the thread i did 2 posts then went away, i'm one of those forum ppl whose super active for a month, then wont post for another month or two, will try to change on that. :o Hopefully we can keep the picks going though now, and more people will join in.

Hmm.. I'm second guessing my pick on the Steelers for the Monday Night match, I've kinda underestimated Orton all of this season, even though he has been stellar. Something though is saying go with 'Big Ben', we'll see what happens, I'm fine as long as Monday Night games are a '4th quarter crunchers', enhances the viewer enjoyment. Just a sidenote; Would be interesting to see if a big name footballer or somebody in Rugby like Wilko where to make the transition to the NFL as a kicker, just how many yards there kick distance average would be.[/font']

That's alright pal, I wasn't having a go! :P

I know. Put a half-decent O-line in front of Orton, and he's actually pretty decent and ultra-efficient with the football - he rarely gives picks away. Plus, his receiving corps are much better in Denver. It will be close that one, so it should be a good watch.

As for your Rugby kicker comment, I've thought about this before. It really puzzles me why someone as injury-prone as Johnny Wilkinson doesn't try out for the NFL, other than the fact that he might just love the game of Rugby so much. From a pure career perspective, it would be a great move for him as he's a fantastic kicker (he could probably place kick and punt!), he'd never get hit --> injured and he can do something that most kickers can't - tackle. Plus, he'd probably earn a shed load more dosh than he earns playing Rugby.

As for your Rugby kicker comment' date=' I've thought about this before. It really puzzles me why someone as injury-prone as Johnny Wilkinson doesn't try out for the NFL, other than the fact that he might just love the game of Rugby so much. From a pure career perspective, it would be a great move for him as he's a fantastic kicker (he could probably place kick and punt!), he'd never get hit --> injured and he can do something that most kickers can't - tackle. Plus, he'd probably earn a shed load more dosh than he earns playing Rugby.[/quote']

Totally agree with you, I'm not sure how much Rugby players earn, but surely when you see a NFL kicker like Mike Vanderjagt who was once on a salary of $2.8mill USD, surely they could earn more just by receiving half of that than what they receive at their respective rugby clubs, but then comes into the whole matter of whether 'you're in it for the money or love of the game'. I think probably none have made the transition, that I know of that is, might be due to culture and such. You look at the kind of sports which are valued and thought highly of in the UK and Europe, American Football isn't really one of them, the proof is in the pudding with NFL Europe, appalling attendances, the crazy new instructional rules, etc... it became a mockery of a league, when people see that i suppose they get discouraged. On top of that Rugby has a strong rich history on this side of the pond, unlike North America, along with Nations play too, as well as local clubs. Maybe once people see a player with a Rugby/football background branch out to the NFL and be successful it could help lift that stigma, encourage players to give it a go, of course getting a trial is another thing in itself, I suppose there is always the CFL, AFL too though. I would love to see a player like Wilko in the NFL, just to see the transition would be awesome, as you've mentioned, for an injury prone player he certainly will be suited for it. Actually I do remember that on one of the Barclays Premiership Preview Shows they showed David James in camp with the Miami Dolphins, back in his West Ham days, i couldn't find a youtube clip of the show, but managed to get extracts of an article.

West Ham goalkeeper James said: "I am delighted to have been invited - it's a great opportunity to learn about more about the sport, and put myself up against some of the best athletes in the world.

"American Football has always shown the way forward in terms of conditioning and performance and I am keen to apply any tips or insights that I can gain to my career as a professional footballer."

And the NFL's leading scout in Europe, Tony Allen, believes James has all the credentials to make it in American Football. He said: "David is exactly the kind of European sports star who we feel has the all-round athleticism and ability to hold his own in the NFL.

"It will be interesting to see him being put through his paces. As we step up our search for European athletes who can develop into potential NFL players, we are excited about the Dolphins giving us the opportunity to showcase a sportsman of his physical ability in an NFL environment."

Well.... i guess maybe they weren't to happy with what they saw. There you have it... David James ruined it all for everybody. :rolleyes:

Oh just saw this now... Becks taking field-goals with Reggie Bush. :D

So.... Joey Porter of the Dolphins decides to call out Tom Brady ahead of this week match, saying the NFL basically has a specific rule made up for Tom Brady specifically;

No question," said Porter, the Miami Dolphins' quotable linebacker, who meets Brady's New England Patriots on Sunday. "When a guy can tell a ref when to throw a flag and he gets it and stuff like that, he got his own rules. They made the whole [rule that you] don't go at the legs because of Tom. So when he feels that someone is coming at his legs, he just points at the ref and he gets a flag. So you've got to honestly say that he got his own rules."

Adam G, you need to tell ya boy to pipe down, if anything that's just gonna egg Brady on to put up another 40 against yas. :P I dunno if Porter is being legit about the comment he made, or whether he's just trying to play mind games, but it's not the line you wanna be heading down when you're up against the Pats, if anything pulling something like that against Belichick will only backfire, proof of that is when he played games on the Colts and did them up. ;) So Mr.Porter... i say 'TUT TUT!', your team now has a ZERO% chance of winning. B)

So.... Joey Porter of the Dolphins decides to call out Tom Brady ahead of this week match' date=' saying the NFL basically has a specific rule made up for Tom Brady specifically;

Adam G, you need to tell ya boy to pipe down, if anything that's just gonna egg Brady on to put up another 40 against yas. :P I dunno if Porter is being legit about the comment he made, or whether he's just trying to play mind games, but it's not the line you wanna be heading down when you're up against the Pats, if anything pulling something like that against Belichick will only backfire, proof of that is when he played games on the Colts and did them up. ;) So Mr.Porter... i say 'TUT TUT!', your team now has a ZERO% chance of winning. B)[/font']

I wouldn't read too much into. Porter does this sort of thing all the time, especially in the run up to a game against one of Miami's biggest rivals. He's just trying to cause a stir and Junior Seau summed up Porter's comments pretty well:

“I love that 55 guy. I do,” said another 55 guy, Patriots linebacker Junior Seau, with a knowing laugh. “He’s a great athlete, a great player, and a good friend. I love what he does out there. You know, everybody has their own identity, and that’s Joey Porter. Joey is who he is, and that’s why I respect that guy so much.”

Kylan i think you need to worry more about your team, and stop talking about Miami and our players :D anyone would have thought you fancy Joel Porter. Anyways last minute win tonight for the mighty Dolphins, Ronnie Brown to gget TD with 23secs to go of the match. :eek:

Kylan i think you need to worry more about your team' date=' and stop talking about Miami and our players :D anyone would have thought you fancy Joel Porter. Anyways last minute win tonight for the mighty Dolphins, Ronnie Brown to gget TD with 23secs to go of the match. :eek:[/quote']

But I don't wanna talk about my team... we aint even won a game yet this season. :(:o That's what happens when you throw a gaffer like Gruden under the bus, then also 'release' our starting QB, whom regardless of his age was a gem for us in Jeff Garcia. :mad: I'm telling ya m8, Brady and Welker are gonna put me up some mad fantasy points today! :D 40 at-least against yas. ;) ROUT-A-THON! :P

But I don't wanna talk about my team... we aint even won a game yet this season. :(:o That's what happens when you throw a gaffer like Gruden under the bus' date=' then also 'release' our starting QB, whom regardless of his age was a gem for us in Jeff Garcia. :mad: I'm telling ya m8, Brady and Welker are gonna put me up some mad fantasy points today! :D 40 at-least against yas. ;) ROUT-A-THON! :P[/font']

Good start for your Bucs, pal. Rodgers to James Jones for a 74-yard TD strike. Plenty more to come.

EDIT: As I write that, Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald hook up for and 11-yarder. Fantastic. :(

Good start for your Bucs' date=' pal. Rodgers to Jacoby Jones for a 74-yard TD strike. Plenty more to come.

EDIT: As I write that, Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald hook up for and 11-yarder. Fantastic. :([/quote']

Hopefully this'll be our week. :) I certainly don't want us to head down the Detroit Lions path, they've been on the last 3 years, although now improving.

Watching the Pats-Dolphins just now, Moss made a insane catch near the goal-line with one hand, Maroney ran it in for the TD. 7-3 Pats. Ah toss! Packers just scored. :mad: 14-7.

Hopefully this'll be our week. :) I certainly don't want us to head down the Detroit Lions path' date=' they've been on the last 3 years, although now improving.

Watching the Pats-Dolphins just now, Moss made a insane catch near the goal-line with one hand, Maroney ran it in for the TD. 7-3 Pats. Ah toss! Packers just scored. :mad: 14-7.[/font']

We responded well with an all-air drive, Hester taking a long grab and Olsen another for the TD. But Arizona came straight back up the field to score again. Our D looks more like the one that got pounded by the Bengals two weeks ago, so we need to tighten up. Could be a bit of a shootout this.

As for the Bucs, good response with the INT and Freeman getting his first career TD, although you didn't stay level for long.

Oh dam, unlucky m8, another TD for the Cards, i thought your team would hold it down like a fortress today at Soldier Field, things aint looking so good, hopefully a comeback is in order, I picked Bears to win too. OH SNAP! TOUCHDOWN BUCS! Blocked punt and then a recovery for the TD. lol. YES! 14-14. :D

The Ravens are down 14-0 and the 2nd quarters only just begun, looks like I made a very bad pick. :o Still alot of time, but dam, Bengals are going to town on their defence, I thought for sure Palmer would choke on the blitz plays.

EDIT: Well GORDON BENNET! :mad: Packers have scored again. =/ Also the Pats are making there way down the red zone are quite abit, Dolphins are holding them off, 10-3 Pats.

Oh dam' date=' unlucky m8, another TD for the Cards, i thought your team would hold it down like a fortress today at Soldier Field, things aint looking so good, hopefully a comeback is in order, I picked Bears to win too. OH SNAP! TOUCHDOWN BUCS! Blocked punt and then a recovery for the TD. lol. YES! 14-14. :D

The Ravens are down 14-0 and the 2nd quarters only just begun, looks like I made a very bad pick. :o Still alot of time, but dam, Bengals are going to town on their defence, I thought for sure Palmer would choke on the blitz plays.

EDIT: Well GORDON BENNET! :mad: Packers have scored again. =/ Also the Pats are making there way down the red zone are quite abit, Dolphins are holding them off, 10-3 Pats.[/font']

Re: the Bears, we just can't stop anything on defence. On the ground or the the air, the Cards are tearing it up. I'm not convinced we can come back from this and it puts paid to are chances of the play-offs, in my opinion. Tommie Harris didn't help us by getting ejected for punching on the fifth play of the game.

Re: the Bucs, great play to level again, but your D is worse than ours. Aaron Rodgers and Ryan Grant are having a field day.

Re: the Bears' date=' we just can't stop anything on defence. On the ground or the the air, the Cards are tearing it up. I'm not convinced we can come back from this and it puts paid to are chances of the play-offs, in my opinion. Tommie Harris didn't help us by getting ejected for punching on the fifth play of the game.

Re: the Bucs, great play to level again, but your D is worse than ours. Aaron Rodgers and Ryan Grant are having a field day.[/quote']

Oh lordy! Another TD for the Cards, both our teams are getting lit up, Bucs defence is awful, can't believe it's come to this, our defence for the past 4 seasons has been catalyst, all i can say is,bread 'n' butter we're in the gutter. As i say this Packers are making their way down the field for perhaps a 4th TD. :(

Also Dolphins have evened up the game!! :eek: 10-10 Ricky Williams, rushing TD.

Oh lordy! Another TD for the Cards' date=' both our teams are getting lit up, Bucs defence is awful, can't believe it's come to this, our defence for the past 4 seasons has been catalyst, all i can say is,bread 'n' butter we're in the gutter. As i say this Packers are making their way down the field for perhaps a 4th TD. :(

Also Dolphins have evened up the game!! :eek: 10-10 Ricky Williams, rushing TD.[/font']

All I can say is Kurt Warner for the Hall of Fame. He's amazing.

All I can say is Kurt Warner for the Hall of Fame. He's amazing.

Honestly when he left The Rams' date=' even though he won a ring their, I thought he was pretty much done, and would become 2nd-string elsewhere, he's impressed me alot, he's maintained himself well, sure picked up some knocks here and there, but most defo as you say a hall of famer in the waiting, plus having that ring will make him a sure nod-in with the stats he's put up. Also the Cards having a QB like Warner who sure is old, but with the experience and skill-set he's got with a struggling 'franchise' set-up QB in Leinart who hasn't taken his chances when given them, can learn alot from Warner, surely won't hinder the Cards' future.[/font']

TOUCHDOWN!!! Houston! 17-13 up on Colts now. Also Redskins are looking to make a comeback scoring 2 unanswered TD's in the 2nd half, 24-17 Falcons, errrr ok maybe not, Falcons just scored. :o 31-17.

EDIT: Hooray for the Ravens! They've finally put some points up, 17-7 for the Bengals in the 4th. Think i'm gonna get alot of picks wrong this week. :rolleyes:

Bears are coming on strong, 2 unanswered TD's in the 4th quarter, 34-21 Cards, probably a little to late, but a fumble here or interception there, and you're in it, all depends on how the Cards manage the ball and the clock.

Ah bogshed! Packers TD, still 12 mins in the 4th, i'd say we're done though. :(

TOUCHDOWN!!! Houston! 17-13 up on Colts now. Also Redskins are looking to make a comeback scoring 2 unanswered TD's in the 2nd half' date=' 24-17 Falcons, errrr ok maybe not, Falcons just scored. :o 31-17.

EDIT: Hooray for the Ravens! They've finally put some points up, 17-7 for the Bengals in the 4th. Think i'm gonna get alot of picks wrong this week. :rolleyes:[/font']

Tell me about it! Thought the Texans would push the Colts hard but they've been great today and have a great chance of winning this. They're a good outside bet for the play-offs and more.

Michael Turner's having a monster game for the Falcons, again. Ryan's not tearing it up like I expected, but Washington's pass defence isn't that bad I guess, while Jason Campbell's responded well after going off injured in the first half - he took 5 sacks inside 2 quarters! :o

Bears are staging a fightback! Finally getting something going on offense and the D's standing up a bit now. Cutler's putting up some impressive numbers and is loving to look for Olsen in and around the red-zone - 3 TD's for the TE now; that boy could be huge in a couple of years time. Can we turn it around? Probably not, but at least we're making a fight of things.

EDIT: yikes, what a return by Smith for the Bucs. Winslow hauls one in to keep them in it. Good effort Bucs and more importantly, Josh Freeman.

BUCS TAKE THE LEAD! :eek:

Lol, props to Josh Freeman, throwing his 3rd TD of the game and of his fledgling career. Still plenty of time for Rodgers to march back down the field.

Texans are on the march and in field goal range to tie it up against the Colts. Schaub left it very, very late to make the spike and give the field goal unit a chance to make the game level with just one second left.

And it's over in Chicago, 41-21. :(

EDIT: Field goal is missed in Inde! :eek: Brown misses from 42 and the Colts go 8-0.

BUCS TAKE THE LEAD! :eek:

Lol' date=' props to Josh Freeman, throwing his 3rd TD of the game and of his fledgling career. Still plenty of time for Rodgers to march back down the field.

Texans are on the march and in field goal range to tie it up against the Colts. Schaub left it very, very late to make the spike and give the field goal unit a chance to make the game level with just one second left.

And it's over in Chicago, 41-21. :(

EDIT: Field goal is missed in Inde! :eek: Brown misses from 42 and the Colts go 8-0.[/quote']

LOL. What a bunch of crazy matches, plus we actually won today, finally can go on without the thought of us not winning a game all season. :D Our D came up big when needed, and Packers OL showed just how vulnerable they where again this week. Freeman definitely surprised me with his composure out there, also love it when i see old vets like Ronde Barber coming up big.

Saw the highlights of the Colts match and the Ravens-Bengals one, brutal field-goal misses in both, especially by the Texans, they where really pushing for it to go in ET, if I was there FG kicker I'd sleep with one eye open. Also i noticed in the Redskins game, Portis suffered a concussion after getting floored on a tackle, their season is in shambles.

Unlucky about your Bears m8, saw the final highlights of that one too, Cards just looked so good, breakthrough for a comeback looked like it was gonna happen when Cards put Leinart in, and he threw that interception.

Watching the Giants-Chargers game on CBS, has been pretty boring throughout, but looking like it's heading to be a 4th quarter cruncher, just the way I like it, should be good to see who manages the possesion and clock well, Giants just put up a field goal, 4pt game, 14-10 Chargers, 14mins remaining. :)

EDIT: :eek: WHAT THE!! Last time i saw on the other channel, Panthers where up 14-0 on Saints, now its 20-20 a-piece. :confused: My oh my. =S

How on earth did Tampa Bay manage to win lol i cant wind you up anymore Kylan :mad:

Trust me Adam' date=' I'm as surprised as you m8. lol. I know I picked us to win midweek, my main reasoning being the Packers OL, and Aaron Rodgers being banged up in that Vikings match, but dude, Rodgers was brilliant, but their OL's let up BIG TIME which let us get back in, plus our special teams, and defence making some big plays, also Freeman certainly made a great outing, 3 TD's! Hopefully this will be the turn of things, not expecting us to become Div champs, or in the run for a wildcard, being 1-7, but something to work on and be ready for next season. :) Also Adam... i'll give your Dolphins credit, they kept it close with the Pats, but dude.. Moss was awesome! :D[/font']

LOL. What a bunch of crazy matches' date=' plus we actually won today, finally can go on without the thought of us not winning a game all season. :D Our D came up big when needed, and Packers OL showed just how vulnerable they where again this week. Freeman definitely surprised me with his composure out there, also love it when i see old vets like Ronde Barber coming up big.[/font']

Good point about the Packers OL. Does this result show us more about how good the Bucs are, or how bad the Packers are? I think the latter, but Bucs deserve praise nonetheless, especially Freeman who had a great debut start. Also, great shout for calling the Tampa win - I really didn't expect it! :D

Saw the highlights of the Colts match and the Ravens-Bengals one' date=' brutal field-goal misses in both, especially by the Texans, they where really pushing for it to go in ET, if I was there FG kicker I'd sleep with one eye open. Also i noticed in the Redskins game, Portis suffered a concussion after getting floored on a tackle, their season is in shambles. [/font']

But I warned you about the Bengals! ;) Couldn't believe that Texans missed field goal. It wasn't easy but it sure was gettable. I guess the pressure got to him. And that's the last thing the Redskins need, although I guess it sums up their season and standing as an organisation right now. Gotta give Campbell a bit of credit for coming back well in the second half, but their run defence was ruined by Turner all night long.

Unlucky about your Bears m8' date=' saw the final highlights of that one too, Cards just looked so good, breakthrough for a comeback looked like it was gonna happen when Cards put Leinart in, and he threw that interception.[/font']

Our D just isn't good enough right now. Losing Urlacher was big, but we're in a bit of disarray right now and QB's like Carson Palmer and Kurt Warner will torch us all night long. I had my hopes up slightly but a Cutler interception put paid to them and Warner returned to see out the game once and for all. Poor old Matt Leinart though - his one chance to shine and he makes a huge mess of things.

Really annoyed by our shocking run game right now. Yes, Forte's been disappointing right now, but we've always been a run-first offense. Why have completely abondoned that since we've acquired Cutler. Sure, he's got a good arm, but a more balanced attack will make him so much more effective. We need to give Forte more touches of the ball to keep defences on their toes. Cutler was sacked another 4 times today. :/

Watching the Giants-Chargers game on CBS' date=' has been pretty boring throughout, but looking like it's heading to be a 4th quarter cruncher, just the way I like it, should be good to see who manages the possesion and clock well, Giants just put up a field goal, 4pt game, 14-10 Chargers, 14mins remaining. :)[/font']

Aye, I'm watching this as well. Eli's gonna pull through and honour my prediction, I'm sure! :D

Also Adam... i'll give your Dolphins credit' date=' they kept it close with the Pats, but dude.. Moss was awesome! :D[/font']

We're gradually gettting better as the season goes on, i hate Moss and Brady with a passion :rolleyes:

Good point about the Packers OL. Does this result show us more about how good the Bucs are' date=' or how bad the Packers are? I think the latter, but Bucs deserve praise nonetheless, especially Freeman who had a great debut start. Also, great shout for calling the Tampa win - I really didn't expect it! :D[/quote']

100% agree with ya m8, sure we won, but tbh i think it just showed the weak links behind a team that was tipped to be a contender, if we where playing anyone else like the Pats, Colts, Steelers we would've been slaughtered. Freeman still has me befuddled, the fact that he came out, threw 3TD's, our first win... HAPPY DAYS! :D

But I warned you about the Bengals! ;) Couldn't believe that Texans missed field goal. It wasn't easy but it sure was gettable. I guess the pressure got to him. And that's the last thing the Redskins need' date=' although I guess it sums up their season and standing as an organisation right now. Gotta give Campbell a bit of credit for coming back well in the second half, but their run defence was ruined by Turner all night long.[/quote']

Good call on the Bengals, i really thought Ravens would have their offence scrambling all over the place, just Blitzing left, right, centre, forcing Palmer to be out the pocket without a clue. Also offensively...Flacco... just appaulling, I guess credit also goes to the Bengals D, their coverage was excellent.

Aye' date=' I'm watching this as well. Eli's gonna pull through and honour my prediction, I'm sure! :D[/quote']

My daysssssssss I can't believe Rivers just threw for that interception, throwing that deep!!! Dam.

We're gradually gettting better as the season goes on' date=' i hate Moss and Brady with a passion :rolleyes:[/quote']

Tut tut "hate Moss and Brady", *shakes head in disapproval* :D They're probably the most dynamic duo in the NFL, along with Peyton and Reggie Wayne, obviously before that Marvin Harrison, however for some reason I've always had a disdain for The Colts... so I can see where you're coming from. ;)

Touchdown baby!!!! :D 80 yard drive in about 1min and a half. :) D-FENCE!! *clap clap clap*

EDIT: GAME OVER! Chargers win!! Chargers win!! 21-20. Wow, Eli sacked on the last Giants play too. How do the Giants feel about trading Rivers for Eli now, on draft day. :P Having said that though, Eli does have a Superbowl ring. :rolleyes: If I remember correctly, in the pre-game they where also saying this is the first time since both have gone up against each other.