The Official NFL Thread.

andyowls

Re: The NEW Official NFL Thread.

Defensive line is one position I'm quite happy with with the Bears, but man, I'd love to have JJ Watt in there as well. He's just a beast. That Houston D stifled the Bengals all day long today...they'll need to do that and a whole lot more next week.

Looking forward to the next one, Vikes @ Pack. Somewhat interesting that Ponder is out injured, although I don't think it changes much. The Vikings are gonna have to rely on what they have been doing all season long - for AP to put the team on his back and drag them to a W. Can't see it being enough today though.

Seahawks aren't even playing ... at this rate ... There'll be a New NFL record tonight haha
Seattle are awful ATM

Starting slow in a play-off game away from home is hardly rare. They've certainly shown up now, and I think they'll go on to win. RGIII and Luck get all the attention, but Wilson has been outstanding in the second half of the season. Any other year, he'd be rookie of the year.

Starting slow in a play-off game away from home is hardly rare. They've certainly shown up now' date=' and I think they'll go on to win. RGIII and Luck get all the attention, but Wilson has been outstanding in the second half of the season. Any other year, he'd be rookie of the year.[/quote']

They have turned it round. Second half yards were something like 150 to Seattle and 12 to Washington. I still don't think rookie of the year is a done deal as some commentators seem to think.

Age old question in my mind...

Why do some QBs have black under their eyes?

Anyone shed a light?

Seattle are awful ATM but was impressed with Baltimore earlier. Their running game was immense

Ironically it's to keep light out of their eyes and stop it reflecting off their cheek. A lot of players have it as well as QBs' date=' you also see a lot of players do it, also happens quite frequently in Baseball and sometimes Cricket. Also the legendary Turkish keeper Rustu used to do it too.

Also it can be a bit of an identity thing, Ray Lewis being the prime example, his tape and face paint is iconic and is all part of his persona. Who wouldn't be intimidated by this:

[img']http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x93/MikeyNinja3000/RayLewis_zps02312276.jpg[/img]

RGIII looks in a lot of trouble here, more Kirk Cousins heroics on the horizon?

GET IN BOYS! :D

150198_10151222784171229_436269552_n.jpg

9LcJH0xNqzI

Really do like the Ravens this year' date=' good win albeit against a team I always thought they would beat tonight. (been to see them play at the M&T Bank Stadium :))

Seahawks aren't even playing ... at this rate ... There'll be a New NFL record tonight haha

You were saying :P

Starting slow in a play-off game away from home is hardly rare. They've certainly shown up now' date=' and I think they'll go on to win. RGIII and Luck get all the attention, but Wilson has been outstanding in the second half of the season. Any other year, he'd be rookie of the year.[/quote']

Always had a feeling they would make more of a game of it.

RGIII vs Wilson is great to watch, but the sacks are coming in!

Wilson had a nice 28 yard run but missed the opportunity to pass to Sidney Rice who was open - still a positive move forward is better than none!

Ironically it's to keep light out of their eyes and stop it reflecting off their cheek. A lot of players have it as well as QBs' date=' you also see a lot of players do it, also happens quite frequently in Baseball and sometimes Cricket. Also the legendary Turkish keeper Rustu used to do it too.

Also it can be a bit of an identity thing, Ray Lewis being the prime example, it's his tape and face paint is iconic and is all part of his persona. Who wouldn't be intimidated by this:

[img']http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x93/MikeyNinja3000/RayLewis_zps02312276.jpg[/img]

RGIII looks in a lot of trouble here, more Kirk Cousins heroics on the horizon?

Would have repped but need to spread first :)

They have turned it round. Second half yards were something like 150 to Seattle and 12 to Washington. I still don't think rookie of the year is a done deal as some commentators seem to think.

It is. ROTY award is based on regular season' date=' not post-season, so it'll be Luck or RGIII. Should be Luck since he's dragged an average team with a whole bunch of rookies to the play-offs. RGIII has had much more support around him.

Ironically it's to keep light out of their eyes and stop it reflecting off their cheek. A lot of players have it as well as QBs, you also see a lot of players do it, also happens quite frequently in Baseball and sometimes Cricket. Also the legendary Turkish keeper Rustu used to do it too.

Is that true?! I've never heard that, thought it was just war-paint! :o

Based on the wildcard games' date=' I still can't see past a Denver vs San Francisco Super Bowl, although I'd obviously love it to involve the Pats :D[/quote']

Hmm, wouldn't be so sure. Pats and Packers both have offenses good enough to obliterate the very best defenses. I reckon it'll be Broncos vs Packers.

Dumb from Shanahan it has to be said' date=' RGIII should have been out of that game by half-time.[/quote']

Yeh, I agree. Arguably shouldn't have played full-stop, but this is the play-offs - you have to play through the pain. Should have been pulled mid-way through the game though for sure, Cousins proved in the regular season that he has some talent and can lead an offense.

I do this EVERY single year - only get interested in the NFL when the playoffs start and I really enjoy it. I then vow to watch it throughout the regular season next year and never do, until the playoffs again!

I would be very grateful if someone could give me a quick preview of the two games tonight. Mainly run me through some of the players and who I should be looking out for :)

Thanks!

I do this EVERY single year - only get interested in the NFL when the playoffs start and I really enjoy it. I then vow to watch it throughout the regular season next year and never do' date=' until the playoffs again!

I would be very grateful if someone could give me a quick preview of the two games tonight. Mainly run me through some of the players and who I should be looking out for :)

Thanks![/quote']

Ravens @ Broncos

Well the Broncos have QB Peyton Manning this season after 13 years at the Colts who despite doubts has been selected for the 2013 Pro Bowl (will be his 12th appearance). He has led the to a joint best season record of 13-3 (with Atlanta Falcons). He has won is last straight 9 games against the Ravens, with the last being a month ago. He is 0/3 in playoffs if the temp is below 40F...

Ravens have probably the greatest linebacker Ray Lewis, (set to retire at the end of this season) he led the way with 13 tackles vs the Colts and they only gave up 1 sack. He didnt play last time against the Broncos so people are hoping he can make a huge difference.

Packers @ 49ers

The Packers have QB Aaron Rodgers who led them to Super Bowl success in 2010. He has finished 1st in passer rating (108) . The Packers are 10-5 this season in a very close NFC North group. Funnily enough he was on to be drafted first by the 49ers in 2005 but they opted for Alex Smith.

I see the 49ers as more of a team to watch rather than a specific player.

They have really turned themselves around in the last couple of seasons. They have a record 6 players earning all pro honours (compared to 2 in 6 yrs between 2004-2010) - The Packers only earned 2. They are an impressive 11-4 this season. QB Kaepernick was second choice behind starter Alex Smith but got his chance after Smith got injured midseason so he stepped in and could make for interesting watching.

Ravens 14 - 14 1st Quarter.

A 90, yes 90 yard punt return for Denver, another level for Holliday, who is 16-0 this season, 5-0 with the Texans and 11-0 with the Broncos.

Flacco then throws from the 41 to Smith to make it 7-7.

14-7 to the Ravens after Manning throws to Decker but Corey Graham grabs and runs for a 39 yard touchdown.

14-14 and Manning with a lovely throw to Stokley to make it level.

Cracking game and its only the 2nd QTR!