The Official NFL Thread.

andyowls

Re: The NEW Official NFL Thread.

Could be in trouble mind' date=' he's apparently destroyed evidence.

America's prisoners must be whetting their appetites over the prospect of being joined by a "tight end"...[/quote']

Comedy gold :D

Are we doing the fantasy NFL again this year??? I know Adam sent us all a message.

If there is a spot open I'd like to give it a shot?

I'm sure a few people won't want to do it again, in a month or two we'll get into full swing and then have a better idea of who's up for it again and then see how many spaces there are and whatnot.

Missing the NFL. Why does it have to be neearly half a year between seasons?!

I agree :mad:

The fact that the football season finished 3 months after the NFL season and it starts back before it too..... Very frustrating.

Probably the most frustrating fact about the NFL is that it comes and goes in a flash. Would love a longer season.

For me, that is (in part) down to the AFC and NFC regional fixture setup. If teams played everyone within the AFC and NFC home and away, with the top 8 of the AFC and NFC going into the playoffs, the season could be made a lot longer, with 30 league games.

For me' date=' that is (in part) down to the AFC and NFC regional fixture setup. If teams played everyone within the AFC and NFC home and away, with the top 8 of the AFC and NFC going into the playoffs, the season could be made a lot longer, with 30 league games.[/quote']

That would probably be excessive though, the players bodies wouldn't be able to handle that. I think more like playing another division to take it up to 20, with another bye week so 22 weeks in a season plus 6 weeks of postseason, that would do me.

That would probably be excessive though' date=' the players bodies wouldn't be able to handle that. I think more like playing another division to take it up to 20, with another bye week so 22 weeks in a season plus 6 weeks of postseason, that would do me.[/quote']

Thinking that rugby league players play 26 games in a season with a couple of international breaks plus postseason, it wouldn't be that far off the idea of 30 games in an NFL regular season. Considering they are constantly changing from offence to defence to special play line ups too, I don't think it is too unreasonable.

Thinking that rugby league players play 26 games in a season with a couple of international breaks plus postseason' date=' it wouldn't be that far off the idea of 30 games in an NFL regular season. Considering they are constantly changing from offence to defence to special play line ups too, I don't think it is too unreasonable.[/quote']

In theory you wouldn't think so but with the amount of injuries you get in a 16 game season I think 30 would be untenable. It'd also only leave you around 3 months for free agency, the draft, training camp, pre-season and then back to the beginning of the season.

Disagree entirely. The league schedule is perfect as it is. Make it longer and all you get is more injuries. Nobody wants to see Tavaris Jackson or Rex Grossman having to fill in throwing the football - there aren't even enough quarterbacks to go round as it is (read Blaine Gabbert).

The NFL is such a fantastic league because the product is of such a high standard that there is very little disparity between the teams. There are very few truly weak teams out there who won't put up much of a fight, and that's purely down to the way the league is set up and the length the current schedule is. Increasing the length of the schedule will only diminish the quality on show, and nobody wants to see that.

Disagree entirely. The league schedule is perfect as it is. Make it longer and all you get is more injuries. Nobody wants to see Tavaris Jackson or Rex Grossman having to fill in throwing the football - there aren't even enough quarterbacks to go round as it is (read Blaine Gabbert).

The NFL is such a fantastic league because the product is of such a high standard that there is very little disparity between the teams. There are very few truly weak teams out there who won't put up much of a fight' date=' and that's purely down to the way the league is set up and the length the current schedule is. Increasing the length of the schedule will only diminish the quality on show, and nobody wants to see that.[/quote']

No, no, no! I want more, I want more, I WANT MOOOORE! *rolls around on the floor kicking legs and screaming*

I do agree with you on the injuries, think that's the thing really keeping the season length where it is, but personally think you could just stretch it out a little more to squeeze out a few more droplets of goodness, especially if you throw in more bye-weeks.

No' date=' no, no! I want more, I want more, I WANT MOOOORE! *rolls around on the floor kicking legs and screaming*

I do agree with you on the injuries, think that's the thing really keeping the season length where it is, but personally think you could just stretch it out a little more to squeeze out a few more droplets of goodness, especially if you throw in more bye-weeks.[/quote']

You would say that, at least the Eagles have somebody passable in reserve...us Bears have to rely on Josh McCown if Cutler goes down - which is almost a certainty each season, such is the standard of our O-line!

I agree with the sentiment, frustrates me no end having to wait until September, but I honestly believe it wouldn't be in the league's best interest.

Triple post (go figure...), but had to share these awesome comments on NFL.com:

"Vernon Davis and Aaron Hernandez: Both started as tight ends this offseason and might end up as wide receivers. But in VERY different ways."

"Prison Officials in jail.. " Hernandez, you have a Phone call" Hernandez: "Who is it?, my Mother? No.... "My Girlfriend?" No..."My Lawyer?" No.... "Well who then?"... "Its the Oakland Raiders"."

"hold on to that soap Aaron! now fumbling will be more crucial than ever."

This whole Hernandez saga is sheer madness, I saw earlier that he could be charged with three murders and one other shooting in three separate incidents.

And in actual footballing matters, the Patriots look in really bad shape.