Bug in match engine?

Rik

Hi. I've just got a result back in an Australian Game World, where I lost the first game of the season 4-2. My team is a good team & has won the league 2x out of 4, and in this game myself & the other team were fairly evenly matched. However, the opposition played a 35 year old goalkeeper in central defence, he only got a 3 rating & I had 30 shots, but I still lost.

Now I appreciate that their is an underdog element in the match engine, & this is great, but surely it is going too far if someone can play a goalkeeper in an outfield position & still win. This is not helping managers of small teams, but aiding incompetence/people who don't care (this was the first game of the year remember - no 'injuries' etc as an excuse). I find this really infuriating, & unrealistic. SM keep talking about realism, & in reality anyone who played a Gk in defence, against Luca Toni & Adrian Mutu, would get ripped to shreds. This is not a one-off either, in another setup a team with a Gk in centre midfield & 72 rated Rb up front (Avg rating 86ish) won 2-0 against my team with an avg rating of 89. I am glad Sm allows small teams to win occasionally, but this is unfair. The game should see the best managers win games, and playing a GK in defence should result almost automatically in defeat surely? As I said, I've a good solid team, all fit & at least equal rating to them.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel that this is ridiculous and the match engine needs sorting quickly.

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Re: Bug or really poor match engine?

Hi. I've just got a result back in an Australian Game World' date=' where I lost the first game of the season 4-2. My team is a good team & has won the league 2x out of 4, and in this game myself & the other team were fairly evenly matched. However, the opposition played a 35 year old goalkeeper in central defence, he only got a 3 rating & I had 30 shots, but I still lost.

Now I appreciate that their is an underdog element in the match engine, & this is great, but surely it is going too far if someone can play a goalkeeper in an outfield position & still win. This is not helping managers of small teams, but aiding incompetence/people who don't care (this was the first game of the year remember - no 'injuries' etc as an excuse). I find this really infuriating, & unrealistic. SM keep talking about realism, & in reality anyone who played a Gk in defence, against Luca Toni & Adrian Mutu, would get ripped to shreds. This is not a one-off either, in another setup a team with a Gk in centre midfield & 72 rated Rb up front (Avg rating 86ish) won 2-0 against my team with an avg rating of 89. I am glad Sm allows small teams to win occasionally, but this is unfair. The game should see the best managers win games, and playing a GK in defence should result almost automatically in defeat surely? As I said, I've a good solid team, all fit & at least equal rating to them.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel that this is ridiculous and the match engine needs sorting quickly.[/quote']

I have heard of managers playing gk's in an outfield position before so I tried it just out of curiousity and it wouldn't allow me to play my gk in an outfield position, so I can only assume that he didn't have enough fit players and it only allows this to happen when a manager doesn't have enough players to field a proper team. I have never been in this position so I can't say for sure that I am right. As for the results, I agree that it is bad when teams play players blatantly out of position and still win matches.

I understand you being a bit aggrieved with the result (I have myself thought of giving up in the past because of the silly results) but the Match Engine is noticeably better than it used to be, although it still does throw up some really confusing results.

Let's face it, it's never going to be perfect but life aint' perfect either, if it was then where would the fun be?

I think however that, over a season, the end result of league standings is as close to realistic as it will get, no matter how many tweaks the match engine is given, I don't think that 'strange' results will ever go away (bit like Chesterfield beating the top 2 teams away from home, then failing to beat 2 teams from the lower half of the table in real life.......strange things happen)

Just think, it aint' just happening to you mate.

Widdy

I've had this happen quite a few times. It's a very stupid thing to have happen actually.

I found it happening when I had not signed prior to a game to sort out my team. The " AI " would rearrange the team for you thus picking certain players to replace other unplayable ones.

I discovered the the " AI " would bring on the sub/reserve GK into the first team and worse still he would go on to not only get a bad rating os say 3 but in 2 games my outfield GK actually scored !

Now, I don't care what anyone says no football team players a out and out GK outfield who then goes on to have an awful game but score to help his team win !

Since first joining Soccermanager my longest held belief has always been that the " game engine " is rubbish and needs a massive overhaul.

What the " AI " should be doing is replacing the position with the player who's position is exactly the right one. Then if there is not one or not one fit they AI should look at the next most likely player, so if it is a midfielder they game should look to replace with a like for like position. What it should NEVER do is choose to field a GK.

We have a youth team that is currently unusable other than to field them in the first team. How hard can it really be to make it so that the AI would then look to see who next matches the requirements from the youth team.

A GK should NEVER able to be selected to play outfield so long as there is a whole lot of other players available and more likely to play outfield than a GK.

:)

I had a fricking stupid resukt tonight too.My America lost 2-0 to Poak.I had Obi Mikel Bojan Veron to name a few and had an average rating of 90.Poak had only 1 90 and i dunno what their average rating was.My guess 87.

Thsi has to be sorted

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

I had a fricking stupid resukt tonight too.My America lost 2-0 to Poak.I had Obi Mikel Bojan Veron to name a few and had an average rating of 90.Poak had only 1 90 and i dunno what their average rating was.My guess 87.

Thsi has to be sorted

So what you're saying is that if your squad has a higher rating, 90 against 87, you automatically should win? Well that would mke the game a mockery. I just finished watching Genoa beat Juventus 3-2 today, I'll bet you any money that Juventus, man for man were the better team on paper. Football doesn't work that way in real life and in SM but I bet that over a season the best team usually come out on top.

So what you're saying is that if your squad has a higher rating' date=' 90 against 87, you automatically should win? Well that would mke the game a mockery. I just finished watching Genoa beat Juventus 3-2 today, I'll bet you any money that Juventus, man for man were the better team on paper. Football doesn't work that way in real life and in SM but I bet that over a season the best team usually come out on top.[/quote']

Well yeah but when they play there goalkeeper in midfield i think that i should win.Did Genoa have there goalkeeper in midfield.Doubt it somehow

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Thsi has to be sorted

I don't see any mention of a gk playing in an outfield position in your defeat?

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

Sorry yeah he did and a defender up front and the rest were in normal postions

They were unmanaged too

Then I agree that is annoying, I also get annoyed when managers play players with no fitness and they still get a result. I look after my squads and rotate as needed. I never play a player under 90 fitness unless forced to through injury, I get a bit angry when I look after my squads and still get beat by a half fit team.