Best 'rags' to 'riches' player

Efc33

I was just wondering who the best 'rags' to 'riches' players are that people have bought?

As an example (I don't know if this was possible, because I don't know if the game was active then), but say 6 years ago you signed Cristiano RONALDO when he first played for Sporting (presume he will not have cost a lot when he first came onto the scene).

Now he is the highest rated player in the game.

Stories similar to this? :)

Re: Best 'rags' to 'riches' player

i think santon, collison, rafael will all be these types of players with 90's after being aded at 70's.

collison should get 88/89 but maybe more if he moves club :)

santon if he just carries on like he is will get 91 but wont jump to 91 now as SM want to see him prove his ability over seasons as 75-91 is stupid !

and rafael 74 ? to 90+ in the future !

i think these are the best "rags to riches " players at the moment :)

future stars :)

Craig Mackail-Smith?

His cousin used to go to my school. Mackail-Smith was just playing locally aged 21 before being scouted by Dagenham & Redbridge. 3 years on and he's top scorer for a team that could well be in the Championship next season and has attracted interest from the likes of Fulham, Bolton and Birmingham.

Bullard's a big one, I remember watching him play for Peterborough in a Division 3 match back in 2001 or something.

Joe Hart maybe? Shrewsbury keeper, signed by Man City and went on to become the regular keeper and get an England cap. Shame about City signing Given though..

No particular big ones, but some minor cases. :)

Peter Schmiecial

From Gladsaxe-Hero (46 apperances) to Hvidovre IF (78 apperances) to a first professional contract at Brondby (119 apperances) to Manchetser United and being widely recognised as one of the best keepers in history. (292 appearance)

I also like the fact Shaun Wright Phillips was rejected by Forest as a junior for being too small and told he would never make a footballer at the higher levels... and then he went on to play for england and Chelsea paid a 7 figure sum for him :)

In a similar thought, Roy Keane was rejected by his big local team for being too short, and was then not allowed to go to England for trials because his coach at his smaller team thought he was too small.

Then suddenly he jumped from Cork AFC to Clough's Nottingham Forest then up to United.