TOLOI, Rafael (86) - 9C

Insider

Re: TOLOI, Rafael (86) - 9C

FI' date=' a very reliable news source, are claiming that it's a done deal. Rafael Toloi has moved to Milan for 8.7 million Euros, or 20 million Reias.[/quote']

I saw it today in esporteinterativo... i thought that Milan would buy Otamendi.. and btw, it's Reais :P

I saw it today in esporteinterativo... i thought that Milan would buy Otamendi.. and btw' date=' it's Reais :P[/quote']

I know. It was a typo. All my other threads have reais :P My computer is very slow, so it takes a dozen seconds to show up when i type something, making for bad spell checking :D

Re: TOLOI, Rafael (84) - 9C

Re: http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?p=941331#post941331

People have been asking me to justify why I think Toloi is a safe bet for a 93/94.

Well' date=' first of all, you need to realize that I try to never make any claim that I cannot backup. I don't know the last time that I've said that I think someone will go that high.

There are a few factors that make me say it about Toloi, and they are factors that come with the constant analysis of a player. I'm not sure there are many people in the world who have kept as close an eye on the player as I have. So here goes.

1) His Natural Ability

You can have everything going for you in the world, but if you don't have the ability, you arn't going to make it. Toloi has it. He is one of the best jumpers you will find and has great height to boot. He is, as mentionned already, a bit of a mix between Naldo and Piqué. His leaping ability comes in handy in the box offensively as well, and he tends to bring the ball up once in a while as well.

He is also a very intelligent player, amongst the leaders in tackles. He can slide, jump and anticipate plays, so is a very valuably commidity defensively. However, if ability were the only thing, every one of these scouting posts would be superstars. Here are a few others things about Toloi that I've noticed that tell me that 93/94 might just be a possibility.

2) His Constant Bookings

He was in the top 2 most booked players last year. So why the heck is this a good thing? Well, when an 18 year old defender gets booked, it's uncommon to see him keep playing with as much aggressivity and willingness to go into hard tackles. He's learning, but he's definately not shying away, which is good. His cards are never stupid challenges either. In fact, that's the one thing that worries me about if he goes to Italy. Italians are a strange breed who tend to dive a lot, even moreso then Brazilians. I remember one of his reds clearly, a massive flop by (who else?) Dagoberto. But he's learning, and he's a smart kid.

3) His Attitude/Moral Fibre

Goias are not the best team out there. They tend to get scored on a lot. Not the kid's fault, they just are really bad. As mentionned by someone else though, there isn't an ounce of quit in the kid. They can allow 5 goals, and he's still running up and down, putting everything into every tackle.

Add to this that he is a leader and an example to follow for the other players. He nearly broke his ankle late in the Ghana/Brazil U20 final without any subs left. You could tell he was in extreme pain, yet he soldiered on through ET and was possibly the best player. As the youngest player, he was considered for Captain before they gave it to Giuliano.

If Toloi can get to 91/92, then he's a safe bet for 93/94. Because if he gets to the NT, by the time he's 25/26 he'll be Captain. All he needs to do is get on the team. He has all the leadership qualities and is a player that others look to, he's just got that quality to him.[/quote']

I've always heard great things about this guy...REALLY hoping he joins Milan....How sure are you he'll join..... Bit frustrated nothing has been confirmed yet :mad:

Re: TOLOI, Rafael (84) - 9C

I've always heard great things about this guy...REALLY hoping he joins Milan....How sure are you he'll join..... Bit frustrated nothing has been confirmed yet :mad:

FI say that it's happenning, just wait a bit longer for confirmation. They had confirmed it, looks like they acted too soon.

Re: TOLOI, Rafael (86) - 9C - AC's Milan's newest signing

That would probably mean that Kjaer is leaving, so they would have plenty of money to spend.

I hope he goes to Milan, although it may help his development to go to a smaller club first. He would have to wait until Nesta retires before gaining a starting spot at Milan, and the way he has been playing this season it won't be any time soon. That is, unless he could take Thiago Silva's place.

Would you rate him as a better defender than Thiago Silva, Mark?

That would probably mean that Kjaer is leaving' date=' so they would have plenty of money to spend.

I hope he goes to Milan, although it may help his development to go to a smaller club first. He would have to wait until Nesta retires before gaining a starting spot at Milan, and the way he has been playing this season it won't be any time soon. That is, unless he could take Thiago Silva's place.

Would you rate him as a better defender than Thiago Silva, Mark?[/quote']

Not yet. Has the potential to be, though.

That would probably mean that Kjaer is leaving' date=' so they would have plenty of money to spend.

Would you rate him as a better defender than Thiago Silva, Mark?[/quote']

I haven't seen Toloi so much to say how good he is, but I can say that he will never replace Thiago Silva. Silva is the future of our defence and if Toloi wants to find a way into the first team XI, it's through Nesta. Sure, Nesta has been playing brilliant this season and he is still a world class defender, but he is often injury-phrone. So, that's Toloi's chance of making it big in Milan (if he joins).

I haven't seen Toloi so much to say how good he is' date='[/color'] but I can say that he will never replace Thiago Silva. Silva is the future of our defence and if Toloi wants to find a way into the first team XI, it's through Nesta. Sure, Nesta has been playing brilliant this season and he is still a world class defender, but he is often injury-phrone. So, that's Toloi's chance of making it big in Milan (if he joins).

Come on Pazzano...That's an irresponsible answer. (no offense meant, my friend)

If you've never seen him then how can you comment on him vs Thiago Silva or vs anyone else ?

Having seen them both, IMO Toloi is just as good as Thiago Silva was when he moved to Milan (and Toloi is 6 years younger!!). Toloi is of the new breed of libero (think Pique) who bombs forward and finds himself in the middle of things offensively and is very strong positionally. Does Thiago Silva have that in his arsenal... yes, but not to the extent of Toloi.

And please note that I compared Toloi to Thiago Silva when Thiago Silva moved to Milan.... NOT when Thiago Silva moved to Porto or when he moved to Russia. If you were going to compare them both at those stages of their respective careers, then Toioi is WAAAYYYY ahead of Thiago Silva.

I really rate ANYONE who gets to work with Alessandro Nesta. How couldn't ya... And for what it's worth I rated Thiago Silva even before his move to Italy.

But let's face facts.... Dude is about to turn 26 ! He's no new super Brazilian wunderkind. He's a very very late bloomer as a CB who in the past has under-delivered on his promise every single time he has left Brazil in the past. That said, time has helped him and he's matured into his talent.

Furthermore, Thiago Silva isn't a natural CB. He's a midfielder who they had to move back on the pitch. Why did he have to move back on the pitch ? Because the guy is chronically injured. He has no legs.

If I were Milan and I could trade Thiago Silva I would do it ASAP. And I'd bring Toloi in to replace him. Again, I really rate Thiago Silva as a CB, but why on earth wouldn't you trade an oft-injured late-blooming 26 year old for someone who is just as good and 6 years younger... ?

It's an absolute no-brainer. It's the easiest trade EVER. Especially considering the windfall of cash that they would receive for Thiago Silva.

He completely upped his game by playing next to Nesta for a year and has stayed as healthy as he has ever been.

Currently the dude is defying the very common patterns of his recent past. Strictly from a trading standpoint, the time to sell him is NOW.

And there isn't a better replacement than Toloi. I shudder to think how good Toloi (a natural CB who is offensive minded) is going to be from picking Nesta's brain for a year or two. SCARY-GOOD, my friends!

Come on Pazzano...That's an irresponsible answer. (no offense meant' date=' my friend)[b']

If you've never seen him then how can you comment on him [/b]vs Thiago Silva or vs anyone else ?

Having seen them both, IMO Toloi is just as good as Thiago Silva was when he moved to Milan (and Toloi is 6 years younger!!). Toloi is of the new breed of libero (think Pique) who bombs forward and finds himself in the middle of things offensively and is very strong positionally. Does Thiago Silva have that in his arsenal... yes, but not to the extent of Toloi.

And please note that I compared Toloi to Thiago Silva when Thiago Silva moved to Milan.... NOT when Thiago Silva moved to Porto or when he moved to Russia. If you were going to compare them both at those stages of their respective careers, then Toioi is WAAAYYYY ahead of Thiago Silva.

I really rate ANYONE who gets to work with Alessandro Nesta. How couldn't ya... And for what it's worth I rated Thiago Silva even before his move to Italy.

But let's face facts.... Dude is about to turn 26 ! He's no new super Brazilian wunderkind. He's a very very late bloomer as a CB who in the past has under-delivered on his promise every single time he has left Brazil in the past. That said, time has helped him and he's matured into his talent.

Furthermore, Thiago Silva isn't a natural CB. He's a midfielder who they had to move back on the pitch. Why did he have to move back on the pitch ? Because the guy is chronically injured. He has no legs.

If I were Milan and I could trade Thiago Silva I would do it ASAP. And I'd bring Toloi in to replace him. Again, I really rate Thiago Silva as a CB, but why on earth wouldn't you trade an oft-injured late-blooming 26 year old for someone who is just as good and 6 years younger... ?

It's an absolute no-brainer. It's the easiest trade EVER. Especially considering the windfall of cash that they would receive for Thiago Silva.

He completely upped his game by playing next to Nesta for a year and has stayed as healthy as he has ever been.

Currently the dude is defying the very common patterns of his recent past. Strictly from a trading standpoint, the time to sell him is NOW.

And there isn't a better replacement than Toloi. I shudder to think how good Toloi (a natural CB who is offensive minded) is going to be from picking Nesta's brain for a year or two. SCARY-GOOD, my friends!

Well, it's good points you make there, Johnny.

But, I'm not saying Toloi doesn't have the qualities of replacing Thiago. I'm saying that Thiago has been a rock for us and it would be a very strange choice of benching Thiago (I don't care if it's for Toloi or Puyol). It would be better benching Nesta, beacuse he is just getting older and older and more injury-phrone. I hope you know what I mean ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

So how's he been doing lately?

I think last year he's been a bit of a dissapointment, and was not on par with his 09 preformences, but again it's hard to blaim him completely cause of his weak team that keeps putting pressure on the defence.

Theres still major interest from top european sides so it speaks volumes, but I havn't had the chance to see him since Goias got depromoted.. hope he matured and calmed about in his game as far as being aggressive in the right time and picking his spots more often though.