Rafael Benítez - Is He Arrogant? Does He Show Contempt Towards Other Managers?

Ian Eltringham

We all remember Rafa calling Everton a small club which was definately a mistake on his part and showed contempt towards the good work Moyes has been doing at Everton.

The new argument is that Rafa was arrogant and treated Blackburn with contempt in their 4-0 win the other day. If any of you missed it Rafa crossed his arms over each other in way that would suggest he was making the statement the game was over and Blackburn had no chance to get back.

Big Sam has been criticising Rafael Benítez in the press and this afternoon Sir Alex Ferguson has launched an attack. He said no other Liverpool manager would ever have behaved in so arrogantly and with such contempt as Rafael Benítez.

So is Rafa arrogant? Does he need to treat his fellow managers with more respect? And in the incident against Blackburn was he really gesturing that the game was over or was he simply telling his players to calm down and keep their concentration?

Personally I think Rafa is pretty arrogant and does need to treat other clubs and managers with more respect. What he said about Everton being a small club was laughable.

Re: Rafael Benítez - Is He Arrogant? Does He Show Contempt Towards Other Managers?

I was just comeing on to discuss this after reading about it on BBC.co.uk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8004367.stm

I think it is just typical Fergie mind-games which we have all grown to love.

I find it funny though how Big Sam has the nerve to say Benitez was being arogant and disrespectful by suggesting the game was over at 2-0. Irrespective of the fact that it was but on the previous day he had been very arrogant and said things like... I am a Tactical genius. and he was basically boasting how his bolton sides had taken points from Man U and Arsenal and Liverpool.

Re: Rafael Benítez - Is He Arrogant? Does He Show Contempt Towards Other Managers?

We all remember Rafa calling Everton a small club which was definately a mistake on his part and showed contempt towards the good work Moyes has been doing at Everton.

The new argument is that Rafa was arrogant and treated Blackburn with contempt in their 4-0 win the other day. If any of you missed it Rafa crossed his arms over each other in way that would suggest he was making the statement the game was over and Blackburn had no chance to get back.

Big Sam has been criticising Rafael Benítez in the press and this afternoon Sir Alex Ferguson has launched an attack. He said no other Liverpool manager would ever have behaved in so arrogantly and with such contempt as Rafael Benítez.

So is Rafa arrogant? Does he need to treat his fellow managers with more respect? And in the incident against Blackburn was he really gesturing that the game was over or was he simply telling his players to calm down and keep their concentration?

Personally I think Rafa is pretty arrogant and does need to treat other clubs and managers with more respect. What he said about Everton being a small club was laughable.

imo he is v. arrogant. everton? small? their further in the fa cup than liverpool this year and have some great players. obv not as big as liverpool but no way r they small

imo he is v. arrogant. everton? small? their further in the fa cup than liverpool this year and have some great players. obv not as big as liverpool but no way r they small

Rafa apologised for that comment and IMO the comment was taken out of context in the first place. You're an Arsenal supporter so you must remember not so long ago when Arsenal and Utd were battling for the title how often Sir Alex attacked Wenger's character. People call it mind games but it got really nasty between Fergie and Wenger. The last couple of seasons (when Arsenal haven't been serious title contenders) suddenly Fergie stops verbally attacking him!

So therefore it doesn't surprise me that suddenly now that Liverpool are challenging for the title that Fergie suddenly suddenly starts attacking Rafa's character:rolleyes:

1. he said everton played like a small club as they put 11 men behind the ball and showed no intent of trying to win that game, and what was laughable was everton's press secretary putting out a statement which said everton are not a small club!

2. rafa does lots of hand gestures during a game. ashley cole went to the crowd after chelsea went 3-1 up and did a throat-slitting gesture - that is arrogant, not what rafa did

3. as for sam allardyce calling rafa arrogant - pot, kettle, black. sam allardyce is one of the most arrogant managers in the premiership and his arrogance is astounding seeing as he has never won anything and got bombed out of the only big club that he has managed and

4. why has it taken nearly a week for this to come up? is someone getting desperate here?

yes-he is arrogant

yes-hes over rated

however

big sams a pr!ck who toatally over rates himself and his teams, has never won anything and is hypocritical (cahill-physical lol)

the small club thing was never fair, but tbf we did play a bit defensively, but no longer-united beware :D

He said Everton were a small club ages ago... how could he have predicted they would get to the FA cup semi final this season?

The FA cup has got nothing to do with club size thou lol Millwal were in the final not so long ago, as any cup comp 50% is skill and 50% is luck on the day.

Just sounds like Fergies normal April mind games, just this time around its a different target, hes normanly winding up Wenger about now, but Arsenal havn't been a threat to him this season so no need to.

He is arrogant but what top manager isnt

Fergie majorly Arragont, Mourinho amazingly arrogant it just happens to managers you cant say hes overated we won the champs league on his first season with such a medeocre squad

hes over rated

how?? he's got a record of winning big competitions in spain and england' date=' liverpool clearly have progressed under him and compared to fergie's early years he's far outperformed him

big sams a pr!ck who toatally over rates himself and his teams, has never won anything and is hypocritical (cahill-physical lol)

another one: http://thesportboys.wordpress.com/2009/01/06/the-trouble-with-sam-allardyce/

also note that he's hardly been known from his time at bolton to make a concerted effort to put through his young players like everton/man city/west ham have done, and he preferred to play cheap foreigners over english players, yet another hypocrisy from fat sam

I won´t ever forget when Rafa asked who made the CL draw in ManU´s favour. He disrespected Porto. And nobody does that. Quoting a member of our "hooligans": «For his sake I hope he brings bodyguards next time he comes here, otherwise he will return to England in a wheelchair.» :eek:

That would be unfortunate.

I won´t ever forget when Rafa asked who made the CL draw in ManU´s favour. He disrespected Porto.

he wasnt being disrespectful to porto - if any team could have picked their opponent in the last 8 they would have picked porto and that potential semi-final matchup for man united was far more preferable to the teams on the other side of the draw as man united had 3 of the weakest teams left on their side (villareal, arsenal and porto) whereas 3 of the 4 most fancied teams at the time (the other being man united) were left on the other side of the draw, so he wasnt being disrespectful to porto he was saying it as he saw it - that man united got a very easy draw (and many people on here said that - man u and non-man u fans so were they being disrespectful to porto??)

and it sure was nice of you to quote one of the spineless porto hooligans to backup your point, but as we all know those guys are all talk and no balls when it comes to things like this

Whats The Difference Between Over-Confident And Arrogant, Brian Clough Was Arrogant But He Was Bloody' Good At What He Did, And Rafa Benitez Isn't So Bad Himself. Ti's Coming From A United Fan. Lol

He said Everton was small just because outside of the UK we consider big clubs only Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

I think it's not something worth to make a great deal of.

Is he arrogant? You could call it like that. In my opinion it is more a matter of English not being his mother tongue. He was not known as an arrogant when he was in Spain.

Anyway, he's not paid to be loved.

Personally, I dont think he is arrogant, the incident with him gesturing the game with Blackburn was over after the 2-0 goal, has been made from nothing into something by Fergie.

He loves picking anything at Rafa and as we know they have a big managerial rivalry, and I think Fergie just is using it to cause problems with Liverpool, because he's feeling pressure.. and this is coming from a chelsea fan..

I also think that Rafa was using that gesture in a tactical way, as he was basically saying to his players its over now, sit back etc.. if you get what I mean.. i feel a bit sorry for Rafa, but him and Fergie are just as bad as eachother.. :rolleyes:

I'd say Benitez is a bit arrogant, the thing with him is that he is never wrong. A great example... zonal marking. He is one for his facts...

BENITEZ - Everton are a small club.

FACT - Everton are in European qualifying position in one of the best leagues in the world, they are not mathmatically out of the race for 4th place espescially when you consider Arsenal must play Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U. Everton also have one of the best youth systems in England.

BENITEZ - Zonal marking is not the problem for us, we see plenty of teams losing more goals than Liverpool from set peices.

FACT - Liverpool actually have the highest percentage of their goals conceded being from set peices in the Premier League. This was on Sky Sports News recently.

Ah I thought I would join in and get my knickers in a twist just like everyone else seems to be doing. I dont understand why it is so disrespectful saying that the game is over at 2-0. It is not as if Benitez was dancing around Allardyce laughing was he?? It is going to get to the stage where managers/players/fans are not allowed to celebrate scoring a goal.

The FA cup has got nothing to do with club size thou lol Millwal were in the final not so long ago' date=' as any cup comp 50% is skill and 50% is luck on the day.

Just sounds like Fergies normal April mind games, just this time around its a different target, hes normanly winding up Wenger about now, but Arsenal havn't been a threat to him this season so no need to.[/quote']

I was totally being sarcastic to the guy who posted before me

how come none of the idiots here understand sarcasm?

It is not as if Benitez was dancing around Allardyce laughing was he??

lol i was laughing at the thought of Benitez doing that.

Can imagine him doing the same jig as Wenger while Allardyce sits there with his arms crossed and his slug-like face all drooping.

and it sure was nice of you to quote one of the spineless porto hooligans to backup your point' date=' [b']but as we all know those guys are all talk and no balls when it comes to things like this[/b]

Yes, I know, but it sounded so cool. B)

BENITEZ - Zonal marking is not the problem for us' date=' we see plenty of teams losing more goals than Liverpool from set peices.

FACT - Liverpool actually have the highest percentage of their goals conceded being from set peices in the Premier League. This was on Sky Sports News recently.[/quote']

lol - sky sports manipulating statistics to try to fit their conclusions

percentage of goals conceded from set plays doesnt matter one little bit - one team can concede 8 goals and 4 of them from set plays but another concedes 15 goals and 7 of them are from set plays - does that mean that the second team is better at defending set plays because a lower percentage of goals conceded has come from a set play?

what matters is how many goals are conceded from set pieces overall and what percentage of set pieces result in goals for the opposition - not some worthless sky sports statistic used to feed the ignorance of the idiotic masses

As many know, I am a Liverpool fan but I will say Benitez is a tad arrogant. That said, he is far less arrogant than Ferguson and even less so than Allardyce (a man whom has no equal with regards to my hatred for him). I think most of the things that are seen as 'arrogant Benitez' are things which people have attached their own meanings too. I think it is fairer to call Rafa pig-headed or obstinate because at times he refuses to acknowledge his own fallability but so do the likes of Wenger or Ferguson himself.

To be honest, I don't think Ferguson even believes what he is saying. I hadn't heard what Taggart had said so I decided to Google it and what I found was a report from the Telegraph (good paper, even if it isn't of the same ideology as I) which summed up what was happening perfectly in its opening paragraph. It speaks of a 'rapidly detoriating relationship' between the two 'rivals' and this is where it is clear that it is just Ferguson playing his famed mind games as many have previously suggsted. Ferguson has never paid Benitez such attention until this season when Liverpool finally became 'rivals'.

So Rafa is a bit arrogant but more arrogant than Messrs Ferguson and Allardyce? No. I'd even say he's less arrogant than other people like Phil Brown.

Absolutely ridiculous comments, Allardyce needs to grow a set of balls as well.

The majority of top managers have an ego.

What about when Mourinho put his fingers to his lips as if to say "silence!", directed straight at the Liverpool fans?

That is way more arrogant.