Overrated XI

DatBoiFuri

Re: Overrated XI

souness? im sorry and with all due respect you talking out of you sh!tter!

yes' date=' souness who was a fantastic player but you seem to have very little knowledge of football from before the 1990s going off some of your comments on here

ive already commented on shearer but wait a minute, shearer hasnt won alot of trophies so he isnt good at all, not as good as darren fletcher or kenny miller eh? burs

like bob said, you've missed the point completely - did man united win their trophies because of significant contributions from darren fletcher and john o'shea? no. did liverpool and celtic/rangers win their trophies because of significant contributions from dalglish/souness - yes - same goes for charlton and giggs at man united, hence why their medal collection can be used as evidence of their greatness.

gerrard hasnt done what carrick has done and thats win the premier league, does that make carrick better? no. gerrard is better than dalglesh but i spose cus he doesnt speak with a scottish accent u dont like him. dalglesh was in a liverpool side riding high were as gerrard for the majority of his career hasnt.

but yeah, who do you reckon for world player of the year? david weir?

have a look at the side that england put out that night and there will lie your answer to the gulf in quality. your very eager to point out when we get beaten but havnt mentioned we wupped croatia and beat germany. this for me outlines the other half of england fans' date=' pesimists, think were ****. usually this is when they read whats happened on teletext. im not saying thats you but in general.[/quote']

The same Croatia that beat us twice en route to beating us to qualification to Euro 2008? England should be beating countries the stature of Croatia anyway. The Germany win was the first against a big nation since Argentina, 3-2 in a friendly, if I remember rightly, which was quite a long time ago now. We should be beating top sides more often if we were that good.

I'm not a pessimist. If anything, I'm a realist. I don't expect us to go win the World Cup every time it comes around because I know there are better teams out there, with better individual players in those teams. Whenever we come across these sides, England tend to bottle it, whether it be in normal time or in a penalty shoot-out. Footballing history is littered with these such instances. Just because we "almost" win, or "almost" get to the semi-finals doesn't necessaily mean we deserve it.

I don't think we're "****", as you put it. I know we have the potential to be a good side, but rarely do we show it.

p.s' date=' atleast we have desire going into tournements and qualifiers the scotland mentality means that theyve pretty much lost before they go on the pitch. you have a decent team but average players.

we expect every year to be our year yes, and why shouldnt we? its called having faith in your team.[/quote']

You do realise I'm English right? Anyway, it's an achievement in itself for Scotland to make it to a major finals. And I don't necessarily agree with you that they just accept the fact that they won't get very far.

I, too, have hope and expectations when a major finals come around that England are participating in. It's a dream to see England do well. But too many England fans go overboard and actually expect the side to win the whole tournament. We put too much pressure on the England side and when they do eventually fail, we get ever so disappointed. It's for this reason that I think England as a team are overrated. England fans think we are better than we actually are. You may disagree, but I'm afraid it's pure fact.

henry once said that our mentality or desire (cnt remember which) was the best thing about england and also the worst thing. i think that pretty much sums it up. and scotland did well in the last qualifiers were as england let everybody down. i just dont like England being laughed at by a boy who comes from an average country' date=' with an average team, average fans and an average history, (club and national). im not gonna make a secret of it, i despise the scottish, simply for the jealousy that they show towards us.[/quote']

I'd challenge you to find one Scotsman who says he is jealous of the English, because you'd fail spectacularly. If you can't take a little bit of stick because Scotland did better than England did in the last qualification stage, then your ego must be so large that you can't fit your head through the door. I bet you give the Scots 100x the amount of stick in terms of football compared to the amount you receive. Who are you to call them average anyway? By the way you're speaking, all Scottish fans are better followers of their national team than you are of the England team. I, like burs, actually think the Scots have a very good following.

lol england fans are the best in the world' date=' not just in football but in boxing aswell. 30,000 fans going to las vegas to watch ricky is amazing. how many watch alex arthur?[/quote']

What's Boxing got to do with comparing English and Scottish fans? It's completely irrelevent. Do you want to say that England fans follow the Cricket team so much better as well? :rolleyes:

what have they done on the european level in the recent past and tht doesnt warrant an answer of spirited displays against good teams.

This is an unfair argument. Although it is quite a poor period for Scottish talent, any good player is likely to move away from the SPL and to the EPL or Europe as they have more competetive leagues. Scotland doesn't receive the same financial rewards that England does so the European candidates in Scotland can't bolster their squads as heavily as the top English sides can. There are other factors other than money and the league standards but, besides, even if Rangers and Celtic were to play in the EPL, they would struggle to muster a top-half finish. Their standard of football is not great in comparison to the English top 4; therefore, their ventures in Europe are shorter than English ones.

Anyway, you shouldn't celebrate English clubs success in Europe that greatly. Look at the sides of the top 4 teams and count the amount of English players. Then count how many of them are actually influential players for their side. Yes, there are a handful, but most of them are foreign. This further enhances my argument that England are overrated as, although these top English stars are doing well in Europe for their club sides, they can't replicate that form on the international stage.

The same Croatia that beat us twice en route to beating us to qualification to Euro 2008? England should be beating countries the stature of Croatia anyway. The Germany win was the first against a big nation since Argentina, 3-2 in a friendly, if I remember rightly, which was quite a long time ago now. We should be beating top sides more often if we were that good.

I totally agree. I couldnt of put it better myself.

From a Croat

You can be as pessimistic about England as you want and praise Spain hell of a lot. But Spain were in a similar position to England until they won the Euros so who's to say England won't turn in around under Cappello. Not even one player you named is actually Overrated tbh

I'm not pessimistic' date=' I'm realistic. Yes, there are similarities to England now to the position that Spain were in a couple of years ago. But we lack the technical ability that the Spain side possesses and without that, we won't go all the way in big tournaments.

Anyway, I never said we had overrated players. We have some world-class individuals who perform fantastically at club level. But when do you see Lampard and Gerrard, for example, replicate their club form at international level? We don't have overrated [i']players[/i]; we have an overrated team.

gerrard hasnt done what carrick has done and thats win the premier league' date=' does that make carrick better? no. gerrard is better than dalglesh but i spose cus he doesnt speak with a scottish accent u dont like him. dalglesh was in a liverpool side riding high were as gerrard for the majority of his career hasnt.

but yeah, who do you reckon for world player of the year? david weir?[/quote']

Totally missing the point. When Liverpool were winning the league regular during the 80's, two of the best players in the world were on the pitch, Ian Rush and Kenny. The way you are saying it is as if Kenny was on the pitch, but was as good as Lucas, cause Lucas could have been on the pitch and won all those trophies. :rolleyes: Fact of the matter is hes scored 339 goals in 836 games for all teams & competitions and contributed heavily in most of the games he played in. But of course, stats count for nothing. :rolleyes:

i wasnt talking to you andy when i had a jibe at the scots, there was a scottish guy shooting his mouth that i decided to silence. and tbh your right i wouldnt be able to find a scotsman that would admit to being jealous of england but that doesnt mean there not. im not being big headed but theres alot for the scots to be jealous about.

yes croatia did beat us twice however we now have a new manager and play better than we did back then, i think croatia would give many top sides a scare though tbh.

nobody really deserves anything in football, its about earning it so no i dont think we deserve it.

up until recently ive actually supported scotland in there attempts to qualify for competitions in every sport so you should really get your facts right.

about our fans. yes my comment was irrelevant in footballing terms but our fans are still the best in the world in football, boxing etc.

you have people like burs bringing up players like kenny dalglesh and graeme souness and saying that there better than the likes of alan shearer, stevie G and george best ( to name a few) and it just gets my goat that such drivel can be posted.

i think im having abit of a rant here so i'll stop before i burst a blood vessel. and its the ENGLISH premier league so pardon me if i support our teams in there quest for european glory.

i wasnt talking to you andy when i had a jibe at the scots' date=' there was a scottish guy shooting his mouth that i decided to silence. [/quote']

lol

1. you didnt silence me at all and more importantly

2. i'm not scottish! and i have no blood links to scotland either and i'm from liverpool!

you have people like burs bringing up players like kenny dalglesh and graeme souness and saying that there better than the likes of alan shearer' date=' stevie G and george best ( to name a few) and it just gets my goat that such drivel can be posted.[/quote']

ask any liverpool fan who lived through dalglish's days who is better - dalglish or gerrard and 9 out of 10 of them will say dalglish - there is a very good reason why dalglish is seen as liverpool's greatest ever player and gerrard isnt. and just because someone has the polar opposite view of an england fanboy doesnt mean that it is drivel, especially when a large amount of it is true.

and souness was an outstanding player, but i doubt you've never seen any footage of him playing and judging him for his managerial career, whereas best somehow is better than players who's careers didnt effectively end when they hit 28

i wasnt talking to you andy when i had a jibe at the scots' date=' there was a scottish guy shooting his mouth that i decided to silence. and tbh your right i wouldnt be able to find a scotsman that would admit to being jealous of england but that doesnt mean there not. im not being big headed but theres alot for the scots to be jealous about.

yes croatia did beat us twice however we now have a new manager and play better than we did back then, i think croatia would give many top sides a scare though tbh.

nobody really deserves anything in football, its about earning it so no i dont think we deserve it.

up until recently ive actually supported scotland in there attempts to qualify for competitions in every sport so you should really get your facts right.

about our fans. yes my comment was irrelevant in footballing terms but our fans are still the best in the world in football, boxing etc.

you have people like burs bringing up players like kenny dalglesh and graeme souness and saying that there better than the likes of alan shearer, stevie G and george best ( to name a few) and it just gets my goat that such drivel can be posted.

i think im having abit of a rant here so i'll stop before i burst a blood vessel. and its the ENGLISH premier league so pardon me if i support our teams in there quest for european glory.[/quote']

Yeah, George Best, what an asset to football :rolleyes:. Retiring at the age of 27 from an alcohol problem, I loved the way he would always turn upto united training sessions and keep his cool on the pitch. Stats don't lie, Kenny was a genious on the pitch and the amount of games and goals he has against his name just goes half way to show his footballing ability. But honestly, playing as a player/ manager to win this : 1985/86 league. 1987/88 league & 1989/90 league, FA Cup 1986 all as a player manager. Just goes to show what a great man he was. He not only played for Liverpool fc during the "glory" years, but MANAGED the team for a good section of it. Please stop talking complete rubbish. George Best a better footballer than Dalgliesh, your having a laugh. Comparing a 27 year old retiring drunk to Kennys achievments as not just a player, but a player manager, hilarious.

Kenny was a genious on the pitch and the amount of games and goals he has against his name just goes half way to show his footballing ability. But honestly' date=' playing as a player/ manager to win this : 1985/86 league. 1987/88 league & 1989/90 league, FA Cup 1986 all as a player manager. Just goes to show what a great man he was. He not only played for Liverpool fc during the "glory" years, but MANAGED the team for a good section of it. Please stop talking complete rubbish. George Best a better footballer than Dalgliesh, your having a laugh. Comparing a 27 year old retiring drunk to Kennys achievments as not just a player, but a player manager, hilarious.[/quote']

not to mention the outstanding work he and his family did for the families of the hillsborough disaster

i often say in conversation, yeah he's an amazing player but he's not quite got it and i dont no why. oh yeah i do, he didnt do anything for hillsbrough. england fanboy? no mate, and i dont expect to see everyone having the same opinion as me, why should they? but abit of realism is also required, yes best was an idiot off the pitch and sometimes on it but he still did alot for football and for me and most others he was better than dalglesh. i do get what everyones saying in that dalglesh was instrumental in the glory years but he doesnt have as much natural talent as best and wasnt as bigger genius. andy dont you get it yet? i wasnt calling you scottish! i didnt have a go at you! i was saying it to a guy on the other page! jeez

i often say in conversation' date=' yeah he's an amazing player but he's not quite got it and i dont no why. oh yeah i do, he didnt do anything for hillsbrough. england fanboy? no mate, and i dont expect to see everyone having the same opinion as me, why should they? but abit of realism is also required, yes best was an idiot off the pitch and sometimes on it but he still did alot for football and for me and most others he was better than dalglesh. i do get what everyones saying in that dalglesh was instrumental in the glory years but he doesnt have as much natural talent as best and wasnt as bigger genius. [b']andy dont you get it yet? i wasnt calling you scottish! i didnt have a go at you! i was saying it to a guy on the other page! jeez[/b]

Yes, I am quite aware of that thank you very much. I was just offering my opinion on the argument that you and burs were having because I thought you were being unfair against the Scots. I don't know why you brought me up again anyway because I haven't even said anything since your last post. :confused:

he didnt do anything for hillsbrough.

get your facts right kid - he' date=' along with his family did outstanding work for the families affected by it

i wasnt calling you scottish! i didnt have a go at you! i was saying it to a guy on the other page! jeez

I AM NOT SCOTTISH!!!!!

you have people like burs bringing up players like kenny dalglesh and graeme souness and saying that there better than the likes of alan shearer' date=' stevie G and george best ( to name a few) and it just gets my goat that such drivel can be posted..[/quote']

How comes just about any LFC fan who has seen both of them would not pick Stevie?

When I see Liverpool fans comparing players it's usually Souness V Gerrard and even then most struggle to choose a winner, as for Kenny they don't really compare him as hes miles ahead of the rest and is still classed as Liverpools best ever player.

You seem to have something against Scottish players / fans so maybe thats clouding your judgement, but honestly answer me this, how many (full) games have you seen of the players you are comparing? (Kenny, Souness) etc I have no doubts you have seen loads of Gerrard but what about those 2?

I have never met 1 Liverpool fan (as in ones who watched LFC back then and now) who will say Gerrard is as good as Kenny

well obviously a liverpool fan is going to have seen more of kenny than me and so if that is the overwhelming view then maybe your right, i dunno. but gerrards career is far from over so he may yet prove to be better. whenever i saw kenny play and ive quite a few tbh, he looked a brilliant player but i wouldnt go overboard and call him the best ever british player.

burs that was tongue in cheek about a player not being classed as good being he didnt do anything for hillsbrough. i didnt say dalglesh didnt. him doing that for a great cause doesnt make them a better player as i believe you suggested in a previous post.