Sign in to follow this  
blabla

Guide to 352 formation

This post should help beginners to use 352 formation.

I have used this tactic about 200-250 times and won some titles thanks to it.

Any comments are welcome,I do not discuss Advanced tactics much because I am not sure of everything, but your feedbacks would be appreciated.

Formation

------------------GK-------------------

---------CB-------CB-------CB---------

------------------DM-------------------

RM---------CM---------CM-----------LM

-------------FWD------CF--------------

Can I play RB-CB-LB instead of CB-CB-CB?

On average CB get 0.20 - 0.30 better average performance.

So ... YES. There is no big difference, however if you can swap your RB LB for CB that have the same rating, go for it.

Can I play Wings instead of RM/LM?

If they have the same rating, choose RM/LM. However Wings will works fine. If you use wings, add a forward run.

When you have a lot of injuries, AM will be OK on the flanks. If you have a 93 AM and you best RM is 88, choose the 93 AM.

Can I play 2 FWD instead of FWD-CF?

Yes of course, combine if you can. If not, 2 fwd would be good. I never tried 2 CF...

Can I play CM instead of the DM?

This may seem strange, but CM usually play well at DM if they are rated minimum the average of your squad.

What are my most important players

- DM, this is your most important player, having a good DM with this strategy give you more ball possession.

- CB, as you have only 3 def, they should be good ...

Against which tactics will I win most of the time ?

Here is why 352 is a very good tactic ...

433: Probably the worst tactic against 352. You can get 65% possession easy

442: against unmanaged team for example, you beat them most of the time

3221/3412/4132/424/4222: You are favourite

Against which formation should I change my tactic?

Basically, the best counter to 352 is 451. In addition, if you play against a better team (+3/4 rated) or away against a +1/2 rated team you should take less risk...

--> Change to 451 or 451 defensive.

It should be easy for you because you just need to change 1 Fwd for 1Def

Players to buy / Substitutes

So this is what you should do:

Get a high rated DM for your best starting XI. When you will buy substitutes go first for CM/DM, as they will cover 3 positions in your squad.

Try to get 5 high rated Def: 3CB, 1RB, 1LB. This is because they can play in your fist team, but RB LB are usefull when you change your tactic to 451.

The rest is up to you... Take into account that you will score a lot anyway, Fwd are not the most important for this tactic.

Advanced tactics

This will depend more on your opponent and on your players. If you want some suggestions to start using 352, try this:

Mentality: Attacking (352 is about scoring 1 more goal that your opponent)

Attacking style: Through the middel (yes you have 3 "central" Mid)

Passing: up to you, never noticed big differences

Pressing: All over (Because 5 Mid)

Play maker: NO

Target: Your CF or best Fwd

The rest is up to you

Re: Guide to 352 formation

Try to get 5 high rated Def: 3CB' date=' [b']1RM[/b], 1LB. This is because they can play in your fist team, but RM LB are usefull when you change your tactic to 451

You just have to change 1RM To 1 RB

Nice Post and i will endorse it :P

never followd up much on Wether RB/LB OR CB worked best but with such small margins could i ask how you came to such a conclusion.

Not also tried playing thorugh the middle ona consistent basis either but at times if im losing i do use this tactic while pusing up the 2 cm's & perhaps the DM using the arrows.

I will say that using 3-5-2 is not as steady as it use to be and there are alot of formations that can beat this from time to time so if your hoping to go unbeaten throughout the season 3-5-2 is proberly not the best formation to use espcially if you have not a strong squad, if you have a weak squad squad/defence [like -87/89] then I would suggest using a 4 man defence & try bring in a good striker/midfielder or two.

Thanks for your comments.

You just have to change 1RM To 1 RB

Nice Post and i will endorse it :P

never followd up much on Wether RB/LB OR CB worked best but with such small margins could i ask how you came to such a conclusion..

This conclusion is maybe not statisticaly correct, that's why feedbacks are most welcome. However I wrote it because it is based on more than 200 games with different teams. The reason why I was able to compare CB and RB/LB is that I strongly prefer homogeneous ratings. I would rather have 5 players rated 90 than one 94, one 93 and 3 87. For example, I compared Marquez with Evra (playing both the "Left CB" of course) on 60 matches: Evra: 6.33 Marquez: 6.68 (Yes playing 352, Def do not perform well). I got the same conclusion for 4 or 5 pairs of players. I will update with stats later if my performances change, but I am convinced CB do slightly beter.

You are right! I loose from time to time against very good 4411 for example, which is pretty unexpected. That's why I switch to 451 defensive for away games against the best teams. As I explained before, switching from 352 to 451 defensive is very easy.

To which formation do you like to swich if 352 not steady enough?

Not also tried playing thorugh the middle ona consistent basis either but at times if im losing i do use this tactic while pusing up the 2 cm's & perhaps the DM using the arrows.

Yes I also push up every Mid if I am loosing at min. 75, switch to V attacking fast tempo, but I am not convinced it has an impact:)

I choose V.Attacking if im losing by 2 or more at 75, Ya Increase Tempo & More Direct Passing Also at This Stage. [Rarely Works Tough, Too Late Really, Maybe at 60 Be Better]

Usually Switch From 3-5-2 To A 4-5-1 OR 4-4-1-1 [Always Using Arrows With These Tactics Tough With At Least The AM Player] Using Both Attacking & Defensive Tactics, Depending What My Gutt Feeling Is.

Not Really Uusing 3412 or 3421 at all Anymore, Use To Use Them Alot Tough.

Well-written post. 3-5-2 is my favourite formation as you get the lion's share of possession most of the time.

I have noticed that my defenders rarely get good ratings, even if my team wins big & we keep a clean sheet. So I can't add to the debate of whether 3 CBs at the back are better than a RB-CB-LB combo. :o

From my experience, when a winger is used instead of a RM or a LM, it seems the opposition tend to score from that particular flank. I haven't experimented a lot with player runs, but they didn't seem to have much of an effect.

Generally, I play it cautiously, using mixed passing, hard tackling, tight marking, pressing in own half, slow tempo & a targetman. As far as attacking style is concerned, it depends on the ratings of the opposition's CMs. If they are higher-rated than mine, I go for attacks down the flanks; else, it's mixed. It usually gets me 2-0 or, more often than not, 2-1 victories, though yes, a few games also culminate in scarcely-believable draws (based on the match stats) & 'upsets'.

Has anyone noticed any significant differences between mixed & direct passing in this formation? Also (and this is off-topic), what is best for a 3-4-1-2 : short, direct or mixed passing? :confused:

The problems with advanced tactics is that you never really know the impact, it is more an average performance.

I change to slow tempo short passing if winning, but I cannot tell you if it works because possession is calculated on the all match and I cannot see the evolution ...

Overall good post and very good layout... Helpful.

I particularly like that rather than just saying that "you should use formation XYZ because it's great for me" as so many posts in the Tactics sections read, that you have actually put some analysis into this.

Questions:

(1)
You mention that you can put an AM out wide in the midfield roll; however, do you have any insight how an AM will perform in the middle 3 of the midfield in the 3-5-2 ?

(2)
Can you clarify what you mean by "This may seem strange, but CM usually play well at DM if they are rated minimum the average of your squad." I don't understand what you mean by "minimum the average of your squad"...

Thanks....

can anyone help me to what is my best formation with my players? i currently play a 4-1-3-2 but am open to any changes.

Akinfeev- 91

Sapunaru- 88 Agger- 89 Pique- 90 Vrgas- 90

Ever Banega- 88

Nani- 89 Mati fernandez- 89 Mata- 91

Pazzini- 89 Higuain 91

I have Senderos (CB)- 88, Bendtner (CF)- 88, Vidal(DM)- 88,

Denilson(CM/RM)- 89 on the bench. Plz suggest any changes you have!

Overall good post and very good layout... Helpful.

I particularly like that rather than just saying that "you should use formation XYZ because it's great for me" as so many posts in the Tactics sections read' date=' that you have actually put some analysis into this.

[b']Questions:[/b]

(1)
You mention that you can put an AM out wide in the midfield roll; however, do you have any insight how an AM will perform in the middle 3 of the midfield in the 3-5-2 ?

(2)
Can you clarify what you mean by "This may seem strange, but CM usually play well at DM if they are rated minimum the average of your squad." I don't understand what you mean by "minimum the average of your squad"...

Thanks....

thank you!

1. So, I have to be honest, I never ever tried AM playig DM. However AM play good as CM. Especially AM/CM. They can play CM in 352, and you should push them up. In my experience they play well.

2. I mean that the CM player should have at leat the same rating as your team average:

If your team is average 91, and you put a 93 CM playing DM, he will perform well. If you put a 89, he HAS TO BE DM, because a 89CM in that case will perform horrible. The reason I mention this is that high rated DM is difficult to buy. However you should buy one for your starting XI. Then if he is injured for 4-5 matches, just put your highest rated CM playing DM.

hope it helps

I find that the 3-5-2 formation works well in most cases but is very inconsistent against an unmanaged 4-4-2 formation since the changes a little while back now. Although unmanaged sides now rotate their formation to use a 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or the 4-5-1 formation.

I find that the best formation against an unmanaged 4-4-2 is the 5-3-2.

Great Post! My Kaka has never been rated over 7 or 8 since he joined my Man U, and today he hits 10! Only downside is that Ronaldo was only rated 6 (lowest in the squad) as I put him at LM with a forward arrow (as you mentioned). My squad is the following:

D-line (rating from this game):

Cordoba (7), Vidic (7) and Evra (7)

Puyol and Canavaro both injured, subs are Oddo and Pernia

Mid:

Gattuso (9) Kaka (10) Carrick (8) Xavi (7) Ronaldo (forward arrow) (6)

Scholes sub (9), Giggs injured.

Forward:

Rooney (9) Benzema (9)

Teves Sub (10, man of the match)

Before Giggs recover from injury, I might put Benzema at LM with forward arrow because I'd rather have him rated 6 than Ronaldo. Do you agree with me on that?

Thanks a lot!

I find that the 3-5-2 formation works well in most cases but is very inconsistent against an unmanaged 4-4-2 formation since the changes a little while back now. Although unmanaged sides now rotate their formation to use a 4-4-2' date=' 4-3-3 or the 4-5-1 formation.

I find that the best formation against an unmanaged 4-4-2 is the 5-3-2.[/quote']

You are right. Against strong unmanaged teams I switch 451.

Never played 532, how does it work? Are the RB/LB Def. or Mid.?

Great Post! My Kaka has never been rated over 7 or 8 since he joined my Man U' date=' and today he hits 10! Only downside is that Ronaldo was only rated 6 (lowest in the squad) as I put him at LM with a forward arrow (as you mentioned). My squad is the following:

D-line (rating from this game):

Cordoba (7), Vidic (7) and Evra (7)

Puyol and Canavaro both injured, subs are Oddo and Pernia

Mid:

Gattuso (9) Kaka (10) Carrick (8) Xavi (7) Ronaldo (forward arrow) (6)

Scholes sub (9), Giggs injured.

Forward:

Rooney (9) Benzema (9)

Teves Sub (10, man of the match)

Before Giggs recover from injury, I might put Benzema at LM with forward arrow because I'd rather have him rated 6 than Ronaldo. Do you agree with me on that?

Thanks a lot![/quote']

Benzema LM with forward arrow should be average. Meaning 6.5 on average on 10 games. But, I do not understand, where do you plan to put Ronaldo?

Take into account that with this tactic RM/LM/Wings will never get very high average anyway ...

Never played 532' date=' how does it work? Are the RB/LB Def. or Mid.?[/quote']

With the 5-3-2 you can either play full backs if you want to be more defensive or wingers for a more attacking line up which is what I go with.

Benzema LM with forward arrow should be average. Meaning 6.5 on average on 10 games. But' date=' I do not understand, where do you plan to put Ronaldo?

Take into account that with this tactic RM/LM/Wings will never get very high average anyway ...[/quote']

I will switch Ronaldo with Benzema, in another word, Ronaldo will be the forward. Although he's better winger than forward in theory, but in the past games I played, his average rating is 9 when plays forward, but 6-7 when plays wingers (like in 433wingers formation).

Never played 532' date=' how does it work? Are the RB/LB Def. or Mid.?[/quote']

532 is pretty strong. I used 532 on my Lyon and just earned the league champion trophy in a European Champion set up (as you know Lyon is the weakest in that division), and staying #1 right now with my OGC Nice in a gold champion. I just used 3 CB, 1RB and 1LB.

something to add if anyone would listen :D

i have been a big fan of 3-5-2 and this formation has won me numerous titles (in fact 95% of my titles, cups etc) Since SM implemented the runs(arrows thing), mixed results began to arrive. I have been experimenting with the arrows for some time, and this is my most steady thus far.

for the DM, pull the arrow back.

for the wingers, pull the arrows forward.

for either one if the CM, pull the arrow diagonally forward. I would normally place an AM in this slot so that he can make the forward runs to help in the attacks.

opinions? This has been the most consistent for me.

cheers

Have you tried using it against 541?

No. I have tried against 451 many times, I do no recommend you :)

Maybe we will try that in our setup :P but if it is away game and/or the other team is as good as yours it should not be the best way to counter 541

I used the same 3-5-2 tactics last night, as I usually do, against an unmanaged CSKA Moscow at home. They lined up in a 4-4-2. The game ended 3-3 :(, but the galling thing was the possession stats : 42% for me, 58% for them. :confused::mad:

for the DM, pull the arrow back.

for the wingers, pull the arrows forward.

for either one if the CM, pull the arrow diagonally forward. I would normally place an AM in this slot so that he can make the forward runs to help in the attacks.

opinions? This has been the most consistent for me.

Hello !

Excellent thread... many things I found there are similar to my own experimental conclusions ! Especially this last post.

Here are my few additions to the 3-5-2 think-tank :

1- DM position : a DM/CB with arrow back really works for me.

2- LM & RM position : even if they are rare, I tend to recruit versatile midfielders (LM/LB & RM/RB) and ask them to make defensive runs (especially for away matches or against stronger teams). It works well. And useful when changing for 4-5-1...

3- Central Mids : one CM/DM and one CM/AM, the latter making forward (diagonal) runs, as mentionned above.

One question : do you consider a RB/RM identical to a RM/RB (or LB/LM & LM/LB) ? And where would you put them in a 3-5-2 to be more efficient ? In my teams they rarely play well.

CU

Arguis (8 wins for 8 matches using this 3-5-2 with my tiny Nacional de Madeira team, in GC 58... Don't believe it myself)

Hello !

Excellent thread... many things I found there are similar to my own experimental conclusions ! Especially this last post.

Here are my few additions to the 3-5-2 think-tank :

1- DM position : a DM/CB with arrow back really works for me.

2- LM & RM position : even if they are rare' date=' I tend to recruit versatile midfielders (LM/LB & RM/RB) and ask them to make defensive runs (especially for away matches or against stronger teams). It works well. And useful when changing for 4-5-1...

3- [b']Central Mids[/b] : one CM/DM and one CM/AM, the latter making forward (diagonal) runs, as mentionned above.

One question : do you consider a RB/RM identical to a RM/RB (or LB/LM & LM/LB) ? And where would you put them in a 3-5-2 to be more efficient ? In my teams they rarely play well.

CU

Arguis (8 wins for 8 matches using this 3-5-2 with my tiny Nacional de Madeira team, in GC 58... Don't believe it myself)

There was a thread discussing the difference between LM/LB and LB/LM, the common responses are LM/LB is better at LM than LB/LM.

Formation

------------------GK-------------------

---------CB-------CB-------CB---------

------------------DM-------------------

RM---------CM---------CM-----------LM

-------------FWD------CF--------------

Does anyone know whether an AM can take one of the CM positions?

I have always felt uneasy playing both a RM and LM both at the same time, like both wingers at the same time, I like to have a mix of a RM with a LWing or a LM with a RWing. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Hii,

I think this wold be better

Start with a 352

Gk

Cb Cb Cb

Dm

Rm Cm Cm Lm

St St

Then if your loosing i change to

gk

Cb Cb Cb

Rb----------Lb

Cm Cm Cm

St

a Few Questions

1. Would Gago play well as a DM

2. When a position is like Rb/Rm, Does that mean he plays just as good at RM than he does at RB or does that mean he plays better at RB and OK at RM.

3. When u play 352 can there be two am in the cm slots or is it better to have a cm/am an a dm/cm ??