How did Man U get Beat by Barca

How did Man U get Beat by Barca  

1. 1.

Re: How did Man U get Beat by Barca

There should be an "other" option.

United lost cause the Eto'o goal. United dominated Barca up until they scored and then monopolised possession. Bet your life that if Man U had of scored first the result would have been much different.

There should be an "other" option.

United lost cause the Eto'o goal. United dominated Barca up until they scored and then monopolised possession. Bet your life that if Man U had of scored first the result would have been much different.

well they didnt score first :P

i think the tactic was wrong but also the midfield was one reason aswell man utd midfield such as carrick anderson giggs aint on the level as iniesta and xavi :)

I am listening about that game on an internet radio station, world soccer daily, and they said it was like a heavyweight boxing match and that one guy went out very hard from the start of the bell, than got hit with a sucker punch, and they never recovered from that. I would have thought that Barcelona have too much in midfield and up front. If that game was played again after, even with different tactics by the managers, I think Barcelona would win again. There is far to much bias to Manchester United from the English speaking analysts or commentators. Nobody thought that Barcelona. They said that Michael Carrick was world class, and the United Midfield trio, with Scholes coming off the bench, would be stronger than Barcelona. That told me everything about what the analysts thought they knew.

I would vote for Barcelona are the better team, right now, not always in the past and maybe not always in the future, so an option for other would be good.

a) We're the better team, for all of the talk about how terrible our defence was before the game, it was completely exaggerated. Toure, Puyol, Slyvinho, Pique...thats not a horrendously bad backline as was made out to be, the only reason people took that view was because of the Chelsea game, other than that not one team this season has made our defence look like the shambolic mess the English media made it out to be before the game. Not one Man Utd fan can argue that Barcelona dont have a better midfield than Man Utd, its where Man Utd are weakest, players like Carrick, Anderson, and even if Fletcher was in the team, were naturally outclassed by players like Iniesta and Xavi, who showed themselves to be head and shoulders above the Manchester United midfield. Attackwise, Man Utd were also showed up. Why play arguably the best winger in the world up front, and play the best English Striker, on the wing? Berbatov was shown up for the absolute **** that he is, Man Utd should just sell him in the summer, he's awful, Tevez came on and at least worked his socks off, as always, Berbatov just stands there. If Man Utd had spent that £30 mill on their midfield rather than a striker they didnt need, it might have been a different story in Rome.

B) Ferguson got his tactics completely wrong. I have a huge amount of respect for him, but honestly, look at it. Ferguson came out with 4-3-3 against the absolute masters of 4-3-3, we've won La Liga with it, the Copa Del Rey, and played almost every team we've played off the park with it, and that now includes Manchester United. Before the game, even ill admit, I expected Man Utd to win, but when I saw the line up's and formations I said straight away to my Dad, Barcelona are going to win, why would Ferguson put out a tactic like that against us? 10 mins it worked yes, but then just like with Chelsea-1 attack=1 goal, Eto walked round Vidic....who once again was shown to be slower than a Traffic Jam when it comes to dealing with quick strikers, and put it in. Then we just dominated. The big players didnt turn up, but I'm not really suprised they had difficulty performing against us with that formation.

Guest jamster111

Allow Me To Draw Your Attention To The United Chairmen Option

Call Me Old Fashioned But I Have Never Seen A Chairmen Play Football

How Could He Help Them?

If Ferguson Couldn't Motivate Them David Gill Certainly Wouldn't Have.

Personally I Believe Barce Sensed United Were Vulnerable And They Weathered A Storm At The Beginning Of The Match Simply BeCause They Did Not Expect It.

Once They Scored They Settled And The Difference Is That Barce Have Players That Have Composure On The Ball And Aren't Scared By Pressure Whilst Alternating Tempo. Busquets Played Alot Better Than The More Experienced Opposite Number Carrick Who Rushed Passes And Overhit Them.

Yes Vidic Did Pick Up A Knock But He Wouldn't Have Played If He Wasn't Fit Enough.

It Can't Be A Co Incidence That Every Single Big Game This Season Vidic Has Fell To Bits, And I Am His Biggest Fan. ;)

a) We're the better team' date=' for all of the talk about how terrible our defence was before the game, it was completely exaggerated. Toure, Puyol, Slyvinho, Pique...thats not a horrendously bad backline as was made out to be, the only reason people took that view was because of the Chelsea game, other than that not one team this season has made our defence look like the shambolic mess the English media made it out to be before the game. Not one Man Utd fan can argue that Barcelona dont have a better midfield than Man Utd, its where Man Utd are weakest, players like Carrick, Anderson, and even if Fletcher was in the team, were naturally outclassed by players like Iniesta and Xavi, who showed themselves to be head and shoulders above the Manchester United midfield. Attackwise, Man Utd were also showed up. Why play arguably the best winger in the world up front, and play the best English Striker, on the wing? Berbatov was shown up for the absolute **** that he is, Man Utd should just sell him in the summer, he's awful, Tevez came on and at least worked his socks off, as always, Berbatov just stands there. If Man Utd had spent that £30 mill on their midfield rather than a striker they didnt need, it might have been a different story in Rome.

B) Ferguson got his tactics completely wrong. I have a huge amount of respect for him, but honestly, look at it. Ferguson came out with 4-3-3 against the absolute masters of 4-3-3, we've won La Liga with it, the Copa Del Rey, and played almost every team we've played off the park with it, and that now includes Manchester United. Before the game, even ill admit, I expected Man Utd to win, but when I saw the line up's and formations I said straight away to my Dad, Barcelona are going to win, why would Ferguson put out a tactic like that against us? 10 mins it worked yes, but then just like with Chelsea-1 attack=1 goal, Eto walked round Vidic....who once again was shown to be slower than a Traffic Jam when it comes to dealing with quick strikers, and put it in. Then we just dominated. The big players didnt turn up, but I'm not really suprised they had difficulty performing against us with that formation.[/quote']

I have to disagree with this. Ferguson played 4-3-3 because he knew Xavi and Iniesta would tear them apart if they only played 2 in there. Yes, they got tore apart anyway, but imagine how bad it would have been if it was just two. He has played Ronaldo up top quite a few times in Europe, and he thought that he could stretch Barca at the back exactly like he did against Arsenal. He played Rooney wide left to help Evra with Messi exactly like he did last year in the Semi Finals where it was successful that time, and not successful this time. He knows Ronaldo doesn't track back, so he can't afford to play Ronaldo there when they're playing the likes of Barcelona. Man United lost because Barca were better on the night, and every time United got possession they gave it away almost instantly - they couldn't string 3 passes together. I just thought Barca's first goal calmed their nerves a lot as United were definitely on top, and after that it was almost a walk in the park for them. United's big players didn't turn up, but I don't think Ferguson got the tactics wrong at all.

Guest Park Ji Sung

It was the victory of beautiful offensive soccer versus that thing with heading the ball and marking and putting the ball out of the box that they play in England :D

Defending? Yeah, it's very overrated.:rolleyes:

I have to disagree with this. Ferguson played 4-3-3 because he knew Xavi and Iniesta would tear them apart if they only played 2 in there. Yes' date=' they got tore apart anyway, but imagine how bad it would have been if it was just two. He has played Ronaldo up top quite a few times in Europe, and he thought that he could stretch Barca at the back exactly like he did against Arsenal. He played Rooney wide left to help Evra with Messi exactly like he did last year in the Semi Finals where it was successful that time, and not successful this time. He knows Ronaldo doesn't track back, so he can't afford to play Ronaldo there when they're playing the likes of Barcelona. Man United lost because Barca were better on the night, and every time United got possession they gave it away almost instantly - they couldn't string 3 passes together. I just thought Barca's first goal calmed their nerves a lot as United were definitely on top, and after that it was almost a walk in the park for them. United's big players didn't turn up, but I don't think Ferguson got the tactics wrong at all.[/quote']

I totally see your point, but surely it would have been better to play with a system Man Utd are more used to? They didnt seem to know how to play the formation, or at least Giggs in particular didnt seem to.Whilst Anderson and Carrick stayed in the centre....and got roasted, Giggs pushed forward almost playing alongside with Ronaldo, so ultimately it ended up with 2 in the middle anyway. If Giggs had stayed in the centre of the park he of all people might have done a better job than Anderson or Carrick.

If thats the case then honestly, Rooney should just leave Man Utd. Its not fair on Rooney to have to play second fiddle to Ronaldo, who good as he is, is such a petulant *****. Rooney's wasted out on the wing, and especially in huge games like this, Wayne Rooney is someone who generally performs on the big stages. I completely see your point about why he was played there, and obviously Ferguson's talked to him about it, but he's a striker, or at least he used to be a good striker. I really do think that Man Utd should sell Ronaldo this summer, use the money to buy a good central midfield, or Franck Ribery, play Nani out on the wing-who I cant understand why everyone says is bad? From what I've seen he's a good player, and for gods sake sell that sack of **** Dimitar Berbatov, complete waste of money

No Fletcher. I'm no guru but i think if Fletcher was available to us in midfield, the outcome might have been different. Its not necessarily about the quality Fletcher possesses, because yes i agree hes nowhere upto the standards of lets say Xavi but it is more about the balance he would have given to the midfield. I think if he was available he would've been picked ahead of Anderson. Fletcher is the most defensive midfielder we have and his presence would have been important. United's midfield lacked balance and the midfield was dominated by Xavi and Iniesta. United were outplayed, Barca were better on the night, Barca deserved to win.

the team didn't show any character in responding to barca's first goal against the run of play. the game was lost there and then in the 10th minute, long before the likes of xavi iniesta and messi got started.

I totally see your point' date=' but surely it would have been better to play with a system Man Utd are more used to? They didnt seem to know how to play the formation, or at least Giggs in particular didnt seem to.Whilst Anderson and Carrick stayed in the centre....and got roasted, Giggs pushed forward almost playing alongside with Ronaldo, so ultimately it ended up with 2 in the middle anyway. If Giggs had stayed in the centre of the park he of all people might have done a better job than Anderson or Carrick.

If thats the case then honestly, Rooney should just leave Man Utd. Its not fair on Rooney to have to play second fiddle to Ronaldo, who good as he is, is such a petulant *****. Rooney's wasted out on the wing, and especially in huge games like this, Wayne Rooney is someone who generally performs on the big stages. I completely see your point about why he was played there, and obviously Ferguson's talked to him about it, but he's a striker, or at least he used to be a good striker. I really do think that Man Utd should sell Ronaldo this summer, use the money to buy a good central midfield, or Franck Ribery, play Nani out on the wing-who I cant understand why everyone says is bad? From what I've seen he's a good player, and for gods sake sell that sack of **** Dimitar Berbatov, complete waste of money[/quote']

Yeah I agree with you - it isn't fair on Rooney and it doesn't show him at his best - and he should be played as a striker or just behind - but I like the fact that he'll do a job for the team, and if I was a Man United fan i'd sooner let Ronaldo go than Rooney. Ronaldo seemed to be on a one man mission to prove he was better than Messi IMO. I've seen them use 4-3-3 quite often recently, they did it at Arsenal in the CL and at Middlesbrough in the PL, and they did alright. I just think the criticism that SAF is getting from some people is unjustified. No manager should be immune from criticism - of course not, but let's not forget he has just won 3 PL titles consecutively and the CL final two years in a row. I've seen some opinions on the Sky Sports Forum saying Fergie doesn't know how to manage in Europe? He is one of, if not the finest manager this country's ever seen - and I've never particularly liked him! Of course he knew how to beat Barcelona, he did it in 2008 - simply his team didn't turn up on the night. I still believe Barca have defensive frailties but United didn't exploit them at all - and to be fair Barcelona were comfortable defensively for most of the game - but a real United performance would have caused them problems.

Yeah I agree with you - it isn't fair on Rooney and it doesn't show him at his best - and he should be played as a striker or just behind - but I like the fact that he'll do a job for the team' date=' and if I was a Man United fan i'd sooner let Ronaldo go than Rooney. Ronaldo seemed to be on a one man mission to prove he was better than Messi IMO. I've seen them use 4-3-3 quite often recently, they did it at Arsenal in the CL and at Middlesbrough in the PL, and they did alright. I just think the criticism that SAF is getting from some people is unjustified. No manager should be immune from criticism - of course not, but let's not forget he has just won 3 PL titles consecutively and the CL final two years in a row. I've seen some opinions on the Sky Sports Forum saying Fergie doesn't know how to manage in Europe? He is one of, if not the finest manager this country's ever seen - and I've never particularly liked him! Of course he knew how to beat Barcelona, he did it in 2008 - simply his team didn't turn up on the night. I still believe Barca have defensive frailties but United didn't exploit them at all - and to be fair Barcelona were comfortable defensively for most of the game - but a real United performance would have caused them problems.[/quote']

I agree with you in that I think Ferguson has been over criticised for the match, I think it was as much down to the teams poor performance as his tactics, ultimately both have got to rely on each other for the team to work, and thats really whats its done the entire season (work being they play well, not work as in-Dimitar Berbatov failed to work hard.......ever). Man Utd have in no way had the bad season everyone has concluded from this game. They've done the double, won the Premiership and the League Cup, I honestly cant call it a treble because "The World Club Championship" really counts as much as a spoon tbh....

I think a better Man Utd of course would have caused us problems, theres no denying how good they are, and even if I think our defence has been nowhere near as bad as everyone made it out to be, Man Utd's attack could cause anyone problems, as they did in the first 10 minutes for us. I still think Ferguson should have just done what Hiddink did, I hated what Hiddink did but it was a stroke of genius. They contained us, although contrary to what everyone said it wasnt luck, we stuck to our principles, even with 10 men, and the chances are that if Barca had gone down the other end and had a penalty shout equal to one of those that Chelsea had, he still woudlnt have given it. Chelsea also had chances to kill the game off anyway, and didnt take them, they were punished for that. If Ferguson had done what Hiddink did I think they would have had a better chance of winning, I know that goes against how Man Utd play, but counterattacking wise Man Utd are far better than Chelsea, and maybe would have made us pay.

Simple. Barca had the better game. United allowed 1 goal to crush their dreams. After that, Barca pretty much took the **** out of them... annoyed me tbh :(.

Ah well, praises to Barca, Iniesta in particular, for playing so well.

Now all United need to do is... SELL BERBATOV, KEEP TEVEZ and get to the final again next season :P

I think Ferguson got his tactics wrong by playing 4-3-3. It ended up being 4-0-3 because ManU's midfield were nowhere to be seen. It's such a shame that Fergie loaded up such a powerful strike force but had no players to give them service. Although I am a Barca fan, I wanted a more exciting and even match up because to be frank, ManU and Barca ARE the best teams in the world this season.

I agree with you in that I think Ferguson has been over criticised for the match' date=' I think it was as much down to the teams poor performance as his tactics, ultimately both have got to rely on each other for the team to work, and thats really whats its done the entire season (work being they play well, not work as in-Dimitar Berbatov failed to work hard.......ever). Man Utd have in no way had the bad season everyone has concluded from this game. They've done the double, won the Premiership and the League Cup, I honestly cant call it a treble because "The World Club Championship" really counts as much as a spoon tbh....

I think a better Man Utd of course would have caused us problems, theres no denying how good they are, and even if I think our defence has been nowhere near as bad as everyone made it out to be, Man Utd's attack could cause anyone problems, as they did in the first 10 minutes for us. I still think Ferguson should have just done what Hiddink did, I hated what Hiddink did but it was a stroke of genius. They contained us, although contrary to what everyone said it wasnt luck, we stuck to our principles, even with 10 men, and the chances are that if Barca had gone down the other end and had a penalty shout equal to one of those that Chelsea had, he still woudlnt have given it. Chelsea also had chances to kill the game off anyway, and didnt take them, they were punished for that. [b']If Ferguson had done what Hiddink did I think they would have had a better chance of winning, I know that goes against how Man Utd play,[/b] but counterattacking wise Man Utd are far better than Chelsea, and maybe would have made us pay.

First of all I could care less how we had played if we had won.

Secondly we didn't have the players Hiddink had. Chelsea's midfield is better and hence they could afford to do what they did. I predicted the lineup we played 4 days before the match. Playing Rooney on the left was a Massive mistake. Remember Barca only had Messi down the right and no alves and evra would have dealt with messi. Instead Rooney was wasted and ronaldo had every litle chances to have a go at either Puyol or Silvinho. It was a blessing in disguize for barca no having Alves or Abidal:rolleyes: and we missed Fletcher. He is so much better than park.