Gold Championships

Guest SM Dev (Ste)

Re: Gold Championships

I really like the second proposal, but with 700+ (and international) teams it will be hard to fill it up and keep it fill. I love the huge amount of teams involved though, and think it would be brill if it was full :).

Imo, SM should continue to make Gold Setups like they do currently, and then have a setup like this made annually under a slightly different name and really hyped up. If this setup was made a lot less than normal Gold formats, GM's were given about a weeks warning in advance before it was made, and given a set time it would be a huge success. But if it was made as often as GC's are currently I think there'd be a lot of very empty GC's.

I absolutely love the idea of the 2nd set of proposed leagues, and I think Ben has hit on a brilliant idea there to make it special. As he says, if they are produced too regularly in this format there will just be far too many unmanaged teams after a while.

Maybe they could be called "Platinum Championships"?

I really like the second proposal' date=' but with 700+ (and international) teams it will be hard to fill it up and keep it fill. I love the huge amount of teams involved though, and think it would be brill if it was full :).

Imo, SM should continue to make Gold Setups like they do currently, and then have a setup like this made annually under a slightly different name and really hyped up. If this setup was made a lot less than normal Gold formats, GM's were given about a weeks warning in advance before it was made, and given a set time it would be a huge success. But if it was made as often as GC's are currently I think there'd be a lot of very empty GC's.[/quote']

I would agree with that :)

Also, for every 2 GC's made or something like that, I would like to see the normal division 5 clubs start in division 1, 4 in 2 etc. This would mean the smaller sides would start with more cash, and the likes of Man United, Liverpool would not have as much and therefore more people would be interested in taking one of the smaller teams that aren't often taken, or are quit within a few weeks. Same goes for Spain, Italy etc. Could also help to give cash more value as the big sides would need to sell some of their squad players to raise more cash, and the small sides would actually have enough to buy them for once

I really like the second proposal' date=' but with 700+ (and international) teams it will be hard to fill it up and keep it fill. I love the huge amount of teams involved though, and think it would be brill if it was full :).

Imo, SM should continue to make Gold Setups like they do currently, and then have a setup like this made annually under a slightly different name and really hyped up. If this setup was made a lot less than normal Gold formats, GM's were given about a weeks warning in advance before it was made, and given a set time it would be a huge success. But if it was made as often as GC's are currently I think there'd be a lot of very empty GC's.[/quote']

Agree with everything mentioned in Bens post.

I would agree with that :)

Also' date=' for every 2 GC's made or something like that, I would like to see the normal division 5 clubs start in division 1, 4 in 2 etc. This would mean the smaller sides would start with more cash, and the likes of Man United, Liverpool would not have as much and therefore more people would be interested in taking one of the smaller teams that aren't often taken, or are quit within a few weeks. Same goes for Spain, Italy etc. Could also help to give cash more value as the big sides would need to sell some of their squad players to raise more cash, and the small sides would actually have enough to buy them for once[/quote']

mate i disagree completely,why the hell would you want the likes of united liverpool in the lowest division it would be stupid,just keep gc's like they are.make them more often though

mate i disagree completely' date='why the hell would you want the likes of united liverpool in the lowest division it would be stupid,just keep gc's like they are.make them more often though[/quote']

For the reasons I said... :rolleyes:

Obviously you would be one of those that wouldn't like it because you'd fail to get them promoted ;)

For the reasons I said... :rolleyes:

Obviously you would be one of those that wouldn't like it because you'd fail to get them promoted ;)

I could get them promoted and also think it's a daft idea - sorry :o

Don't think it would stimulate the transfer market at all, and don't see how the smaller teams being higher up makes them any more attractive tbh,

Also how would the SMFA competitions work if the tiny teams were in Div1? Rochdale winning the Champions League doesn't sound right B)

Don't think it would stimulate the transfer market at all' date=' and how would the SMFA competitions work if the tiny teams were in Div1? Rochdale winning the Champions League doesn't sound right B)[/quote']

exacly,it's a stupid idea

Don't think it would stimulate the transfer market at all' date=' and don't see how the smaller teams being higher up makes them any more attractive tbh,

Also how would the SMFA competitions work if the tiny teams were in Div1? Rochdale winning the Champions League doesn't sound right B)[/quote']

Makes them more attractive because they'll have more cash... all noobs prefer the teams with more cash

And there doesn't have to be any SMFA competitions? There could be a different way of qualifying for them? If there's a new format then there might as well be a whole new change instead of adding a load of pap leagues that hardly anyone will care about and that's it:rolleyes:

exacly' date='it's a stupid idea [/quote']

I said that's what I would like to see. Just because your opinion is different doesn't mean it's stupid :rolleyes:

Guest Football8

In order to make it realistic I don't think having the good clubs in the conference would help. But its a good idea to try it out and sounds fun. Would this mean the lower teams would compete for the SMFA European Cup because there in the first division ? :o

In order to make it realistic I don't think having the good clubs in the conference would help. But its a good idea to try it out and sounds fun. Would this mean the lower teams would compete for the SMFA European Cup because there in the first division ? :o

"To make it realistic" - people always come up with that but since when has SM been realistic? :o

Guest Football8

"To make it realistic" - people always come up with that but since when has SM been realistic? :o

Never, but I want SM to turn exactly like real life and not a fantasy made up game. :)

Never' date=' but I want SM to turn exactly like real life and not a fantasy made up game. :)[/quote']

erm, joke? hope so - thats the last thing i want :(

And George there has to be SMFA competitions because that is what makes the GC's unique.....i can't see a bit of extra cash making your average league two team more attractive to anyone.

The second format is what I've been banging on about for months. In three different blog postings I posted that, exactly that, with Europe and America split up, two seperate competitions with the winners playing each other.

I'd definitely like to see it implemented.

But lord please don't start creating new GC's like crazy like after the last format change. That just killed the uniqueness of GC's. I like the sound of Ben's idea. If that is the case, instead of going for a big team, failing and ending up with someone I don't like, I'd probably go for my 5th Leeds. :P

IMO it should be more like the second proposal, but with some significant changes:

- all divisions should have 12 teams max, each team playing each other 4 times a season (MLS there should be an exception due to the nature of MLS - unless some USFL teams are added which i doubt will happen for obvious reasons)

- no country should have more than 3 divisions

so it'd be something like:

EUROPE:

- england/italy/spain/germany/france - 3 divisions, 12 teams per divison

- benelux division (belgian and dutch teams) - 2 divisions, 12 teams per division

- scandanavian league (finland/norway/sweden/denmark) - 2 divisons, 12 teams per division

- russia - 2 divisions, 12 teams per division

- scotland/portugal/turkey/greece/austria/israel/switzerland - 1 division of 12 teams per division

- eastern europe (ukraine, croatia, romania, serbia) - 2 divisons, 12 teams per division

332 european teams in total

euro SMFA Champs cup - 37 teams (4 from england/spain/italy, 3 from germany/france, 2 from russia/scandanavia/benelux/portugal/greece/eastern europe/turkey/scotland and 1 from austria/israel/switzerland). 10 of these teams would go into a prequalifying open-draw 1-legged knockout round (3rd from germany/france, 2nd from russia/scandanavia/benelux/portugal/greece/eastern europe/turkey/scotland), and the winners would join the other 27 teams in the open draw group phase and the losers from the prequalifiers go into the SMFA euro shield, and the format from the group stage will continue as usual)

euro SMFA shield - joining the 5 teams coming out of the SMFA champs cup prequalifiers would be another 59 teams - 32 of these come from the domestic cup winners (if a SMFA cup team wins the cup it goes down to the next highest league team) - england/italy/spain/germany/france/benelux/russia/eastern europe/portugal/scotland/greece get 2 places from the league the other leagues get 1, and its an open-draw straight knockout tournament

REST OF THE WORLD

- USA - 1 division of 14 teams

- Argentina/Brazil/mexico - 2 divisions of 10 teams

- rest of latin america - 2 divisions of 12 teams

- asia (australia/korea/japan plus arab clubs/bundyakor) - 2 divisions of 12 teams

- africa (south africa/egypt plus the odd other club like raja casablanca) - 2 divisions of 12 teams

146 ROW teams in total

ROW SMFA Champs cup - 22 teams qualify for this tournament - 10 of these go straight into the group stage (top 2 teams in argentina/mexico/brazil and the winners of rest of LA/africa/USA/asia) and the other 12 are in a 1 legged open-draw knockout pre-qualifying round (3rd and 4th placed teams from argentina/mexico/brazil, 2nd and 3rd placed teams from rest of LA/USA and 2nd placed team from african and american leagues), and from there its 4 groups of 4, round-robin and the top 2 qualify for the knockout rounds

ROW SMFA shield - 32 teams qualify for this tournament - the 6 losers in the SMFA cup prequalifiers, the 14 teams who win the domestic cup competitions (again, if a cup winner has qualified for SMFA cup or one team wins both cups the place goes to the next highest placed team in their league) and argentina/mexico/brazil/rest of LA/USA get 2 places from the league and africa and asia get one place - and once again its a 1 legged, open draw knockout tournament

one new addition should be made - a country coefficient system so that the best performing leagues in SMFA competition get rewarded and this evolves over time (3 season moving average), so if the portuguese league becomes stronger than the english league 3 seasons down the line then they would get more SMFA cup places through the league and england would get less (cup qualification will be unaffected). what i suggest is that a score is calculated for the average performance of a team in SMFA competition:

winning SMFA cup - 20 points

winning SMFA shield - 12 points

losing SMFA cup final - 15 points

losing SMFA shield final - 8 points

losing SMFA cup semi final - 8 points

losing SMFA shield semi final - 6 points

losing SMFA cup quarter final - 4 points

losing SMFA shield quarter final - 2 points

winning SMFA cup group - 2 points

finishing 2nd in SMFA cup group - 1 point

winning a knockout round in SMFA cup (including pre-qual round) - 1 point

winning a knockout round in SMFA shield - 0.5 points

using the ROW as an example (and lets say for examples sake the exact same thing happens every year for 3 seasons with the exact same teams, and there are no changes during that period regarding entry criteria for each country so they get 2 automatic and 2 qualifier spots for SMFA Cup and 2 SMFA shield places every year for the 3 years):

- boca juniors lose the SMFA cup final, winning their group without going through the pre-qualifier - they get 14 points (2 for winning their group, 2 for each round that they progress (1 each for the QF/SF wins) and 10 for being losing finalist)

- river plate finish last in their group but qualified automatically - 0 points

- racing club and estudiantes win their pre-qualifier and their group but go out in the QF - they get 3 points each (1 for winning their prequalifier, 2 for winning their group)

- independiente and lanus win 2 knockout ties in the shield - they get 1 point each as they've won 2 rounds which gives them half a point per win

so in this example argentina would get 22 points in total (66 over the 3 years), and this gives them a SMFA score of 3.67 (22/6 or 66/18)

now lets say that brazil's SMFA score is 4.2, mexico's is 5.1 and rest of LA is 3.9 and all the other leagues in the ROW sections' score is below 3.66 - this would mean that argentina is now ranked as the 4th worst league in the section and as a result they would lose places in SMFA competition due to their poor performance (only 1 automatic qualifier with 2 having to go through prequalifiers for SMFA cup and 2 shield places) but the rest of LA would get more SMFA competition places due to their superior performance (2 automatic qualifiers with 2 having to go through prequalifiers for the SMFA cup and 2 shield places), and this will reward the leagues which have well managed teams with extra SMFA places and the less well managed leagues will lose places as a result, and this would be a fairer allocation of SMFA places than the current system (and this system could be used across all GC's, not just the new one)

Burs, why 12? It's incredibly boring playing the same teams 3 or 4 times a season.

And just 3 divisions in England? So just the EPL teams and the 6 top CCC teams?

Sorry, but that's a terrible idea. There are tonnes of lower league fans on SM, and thousands of others who like the challenge of a really small team.

Burs' date=' why 12? It's incredibly boring playing the same teams 3 or 4 times a season.[/quote']

on the flipside it gives the lower division teams a better chance of getting to the top division and SMFA competitions - you would have a much better chance of getting someone like strasbourg, albacete or sheff wednesday into the SMFA competitions through the league than you would in the standard GC setups and this would provide a new challenge to managers, and it would also challenge the managers of the top teams as they will have to look over their shoulder much more carefully as missing out on SMFA competition or even relegation is more likely than in the standard GCs (so an arsenal or atletico madrid team that is poorly managed in a normal GC would be around 14th in midtable obscurity under a bad manager but in this one they'd be fighting relegation), and the mid-level teams (e.g. an aston villa or deportivo) that are well managed would have a better chance of getting into the SMFA cup plus they would also have to look over their shoulder more as normally they could coast to a midtable finish but in this one they cant be complacent

and from my experience of GCs i've never noticed much of a difference playing in a division of 10 and one of 20 and never found one more boring than the other - maybe thats just me

And just 3 divisions in England? So just the EPL teams and the 6 top CCC teams?

its the top 16 teams from the CCC isnt it? granted it could be extended to 4 or 5 for england due to the popularity of english teams' date=' but i didnt want there to be loads of english divisions and only 2 or 3 spanish divisions and this should help fill some of the lesser clubs from countries like france/spain/germany/italy which are very rarely filled (esp div2s for spain/italy/germany/france which are usually around 70% vacant in most GCs)

Sorry, but that's a terrible idea. There are tonnes of lower league fans on SM, and thousands of others who like the challenge of a really small team.

if you want a challenge in a GC with a lower league team its not that difficult to find a vacant 3rd/4th/5th division team in an existing GC - i dont see why you need to make such a discrepancy for a new GC when you can get a lower league team in all of the other GCs very easily. in this one you have the lesser asian/african/south american teams that arent in the standard GCs (and most of them wont be in the newer ones, esp the latin american ones) and tbh i dont really think it would be that much less of an experience managing one of those teams instead of the usual 3rd division english league GC team, managers will now have newer challenges that they didnt face before (e.g. try to get into the SMFA cup in 4 seasons with a div 3 club) plus it would mean that teams in divisions that usually arent filled to capacity (e.g. usa, lower french/spanish divisions) would be more likely to be filled, plus it'd be something totally different from SM for the GCs and the current format has gone a bit stale IMO

anyway, thanks for the feedback - much appreciated

on the flipside it gives the lower division teams a better chance of getting to the top division and SMFA competitions - you would have a much better chance of getting someone like strasbourg' date=' albacete or sheff wednesday into the SMFA competitions through the league than you would in the standard GC setups and this would provide a new challenge to managers, and it would also challenge the managers of the top teams as they will have to look over their shoulder much more carefully as missing out on SMFA competition or even relegation is more likely than in the standard GCs (so an arsenal or atletico madrid team that is poorly managed in a normal GC would be around 14th in midtable obscurity under a bad manager but in this one they'd be fighting relegation), and the mid-level teams (e.g. an aston villa or deportivo) that are well managed would have a better chance of getting into the SMFA cup plus they would also have to look over their shoulder more as normally they could coast to a midtable finish but in this one they cant be complacent

and from my experience of GCs i've never noticed much of a difference playing in a division of 10 and one of 20 and never found one more boring than the other - maybe thats just me[/quote']

Maybe, but repetitively playing the same teams over and over can get quite boring (for me in any case). What I love about my GC teams in Italy compared to Brazil/Russia is that I get to play 19 other teams, rather than the same 9 four times around.

How would it help teams like Villa? Surely it would make it harder, having to play the Man United's and the Chelsea's 3 or 4 times round?

Even if it does make it easier, surely that takes away a large part of the challenge? Managers taking Villa, Leeds, Southampton, etc, want it to be tough and challenging to work there way up to the SMFA Cup positions. If it's easier, it wouldn't be the same to reach those positions.

I think it's more fun to stick to realism rather than go for a completely new idea.

its the top 16 teams from the CCC isnt it? granted it could be extended to 4 or 5 for england due to the popularity of english teams' date=' but i didnt want there to be loads of english divisions and only 2 or 3 spanish divisions and this should help fill some of the lesser clubs from countries like france/spain/germany/italy which are very rarely filled (esp div2s for spain/italy/germany/france which are usually around 70% vacant in most GCs)[/quote']

Yep it is the top 16, somehow counted 12 x 3 = 26. :o

England simply have to have more divisions, becauses the majority of SM players live or support sides from England. Even doing this wouldn't promote more interest in the lower sides from Italy/Spain/Germany/France - people will just go for another GC where there is a more favourable team.

Even 4 or 5 divisions would be 48-60 teams -> not even reaching League 2.

One thing of GC's that makes it unique is the ability to manage clubs in the BSP - not available in normal EC's.

if you want a challenge in a GC with a lower league team its not that difficult to find a vacant 3rd/4th/5th division team in an existing GC - i dont see why you need to make such a discrepancy for a new GC when you can get a lower league team in all of the other GCs very easily. in this one you have the lesser asian/african/south american teams that arent in the standard GCs (and most of them wont be in the newer ones' date=' esp the latin american ones) and tbh i dont really think it would be that much less of an experience managing one of those teams instead of the usual 3rd division english league GC team, managers will now have newer challenges that they didnt face before (e.g. try to get into the SMFA cup in 4 seasons with a div 3 club) plus it would mean that teams in divisions that usually arent filled to capacity (e.g. usa, lower french/spanish divisions) would be more likely to be filled, plus it'd be something totally different from SM for the GCs and the current format has gone a bit stale IMO

anyway, thanks for the feedback - much appreciated[/quote']

Looking back, "terrible" is quite a strong word to use. :o

Yes you could get a team in another GC, but this is a new format and I'm sure there would be a lot of people interested in joining. Especially if GC's created in this format are few and far between. So people might want to manage their favourite clubs, or alternatively, there is less chance of getting a big team, so for a lot of people it would be more fun managing a lower league side, or their favourite side, rather than some bottom-half German team.

It would be completely different - but as it is the second suggestion is already unique to different GC's, so it should help with the stale problem.

Even if it does make it easier' date=' surely that takes away a large part of the challenge? Managers taking Villa, Leeds, Southampton, etc, want it to be tough and challenging to work there way up to the SMFA Cup positions. If it's easier, it wouldn't be the same to reach those positions.[/quote']

One thing of GC's that makes it unique is the ability to manage clubs in the BSP - not available in normal EC's.

again - there are plenty of other GCs around to do that and this one would be more of a 'cream of the crop' type GC and would provide a different challenge for managers

i have an idea for option 2 regarding SMFA competition' date=' explained below:

- use the coefficient system that i mentioned in post #18

- the entry criteria is as follows:

EUROPE - SMFA CUP

AUTOMATIC QUALIFIERS TO GROUP STAGE

- Top 2 teams from England, Spain and Italy

- League winners from France, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Portugal, Scotland, Greece and Russia

TEAMS IN PRE-QUALIFIERS

- 3rd and 4th placed teams from England, Spain and Italy

- 2nd and 3rd placed teams from France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Portugal and Russia

- 2nd placed teams from Belgium and Scotland

- 1st and 2nd placed teams from Austria, Serbia, Romania, Turkey and Ukraine

- Winners from Croatia, Denmark, Israel, Sweden, Norway and Switzerland

TOURNAMENT FORMAT

- The 36 prequalifier teams enter a pre-qualifying round which is 1-legged knockout tie with an open draw

- Those 18 teams that won join the 14 automatic teams in a group stage of 8 groups of 4 teams, each team playing twice (open draw) with the top 2 teams in each group progressing

- The knockout rounds are 1-legged and are open draw from the quarter final stage, but in the last 16 group winners are seeded

EUROPE - SMFA SHIELD

AUTOMATIC QUALIFIERS

- The 2 cup winners from each country

- 5th placed teams from England, Spain and Italy

TEAMS IN PRE-QUALIFIERS

- 6th placed teams from England, Spain and Italy

- 4th and 5th placed team from France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Portugal and Russia

- 3rd and 4th placed team from Austria, Belgium, Romania, Scotland, Turkey and Ukraine

- 2nd placed team from Croatia, Denmark, Israel, Norway, Serbia, Sweden and Switzerland

TOURNAMENT FORMAT

- The 17 pre-qualifiers join the 47 automatic qualifiers in a 1-legged, straight knockout open draw tournament

ROW - SMFA CUP

AUTOMATIC QUALIFIERS TO GROUP STAGE

- Top 2 teams from Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Rest of LA, USA, Egypt, Japan and South Korean Leagues

- Winner of Australian and South African Leagues

TEAMS IN PRE-QUALIFIERS

- 3rd and 4th placed teams from Argentina, Brazil and Mexico

- 3rd placed team from Rest of LA, USA, Egypt and Japan

- 2nd Place teams from Australian and South African Leagues

TOURNAMENT FORMAT

- The 12 prequalifier teams play a 1-legged knockout tie, open draw

- The 6 winners join the 18 automatic qualifier teams into 6 groups of 4 teams, open draw

- The first placed group teams go into the quarter finals along with the best performing second placed teams

- From the quarter final stage its 1-legged knockout tie, open draw

ROW - SMFA SHIELD

AUTOMATIC QUALIFIERS

- The two cup winners from each league

- 5th placed teams from Argentina, Brazil and Mexico

- 4rd placed team from Rest of LA, USA, Egypt, Japan and South Korea

- 3rd placed teams from Australian and South African Leagues

TEAMS IN PRE-QUALIFIERS

- 4th placed teams from Argentina, Brazil, Mexico and Rest of LA League

- Open draw, 1-legged knockout tie

TOURNAMENT FORMAT

- The two winners from the prequalifiers join the 30 automatic qualifiers in a straight knockout tournament, 1-legged open-draw

also - maybe they could amalagmate some of the leagues - 22 different countries in europe, maybe reduce that to something like 16?

• 7 months later...