3-5-2 tactics

thespecialone

Re: 3-5-2 tactics

The beauty of this formation, is that you can play attacking or defensive with this formation in my opinion. Personally go with an attacking style of play. I beleive it's still pretty effective, but I tend to concede alot more goals than I used to previously (on many occasion my team are top scorers in the league, but have also conceded the hightest number of goals :eek:). Not to say this is always the case, in teams where I have a solid DM and a good defence I can have several 1-0 or 2-0 scorelines in a row.

I prefer attacking and playing the offside trap :)

Cheers for your reply, i tend to concede alot too but last night ALL my teams lost by 2 goals or more and that includes a fantastic Madrid team at home losing to an unmanaged Juventus 4-1!!

Trouble is all my teams are based around 3 defenders so converting to 4 defenders is out of the question.

What do you use for passing and attacking style??

• 1 month later...

Has anybody experience of using a AM as a wide midfield in this formation? I use a possession style short passing 3-5-2 with good succes, but have run out of decent RMs LMs and wings, and as short passing demands well rated midfielders. As I remember somebody once saying that AM's make good wingers I'm considering playing AMs as the wide midfields. Any opinions? Any experience?

What are the best tactics to use with the 3-5-2 formation?

Also is this formation as effective anymore?

i use the 3-5-2 formation with most of my teams and it works quite well. the tactics i use are use playmaker usually they are my DM and i also use my targetman. also i play counter attack and my passing is mixed.

I also use 3-5-2 as the default formation of all my teams. But I prefer to go like this,

Tackling Style: Hard

Mentality: Attacking/Defensive(both are effective, depending on your opponent)

Passing Style: Short

Attacking Style: Mixed/Down both flanks(so far, 'down both flanks' works quite badly for me, but with 'mixed' attacking style, I can usually win)

Tempo: Fast

Pressing: All Over

Counter-Attack: Yes

Men Behind Ball: No

Tight Marking: Yes

Play Offside: No

Use Play Maker: Yes

Use Target Man: No

I also use 3-5-2 as the default formation of all my teams. But I prefer to go like this' date='

Tackling Style: Hard

Mentality: Attacking/Defensive(both are effective, depending on your opponent)

Passing Style: Short

Attacking Style: Mixed/Down both flanks(so far, 'down both flanks' works quite badly for me, but with 'mixed' attacking style, I can usually win)

Tempo: Fast

Pressing: All Over

Counter-Attack: Yes

Men Behind Ball: No

Tight Marking: Yes

Play Offside: No

Use Play Maker: Yes

Use Target Man: No[/quote']

I have some times used 3-5-2 succesfully with down both flanks and even down right/lef flank only. But it has been in situations, where I have had a significant advantage on at least one of the flanks (= opponent has had a weak spot there and my wingers at the time were my highest rated players). Never used trhough the middle in 3-5-2, although I currently have a team that is by far strongest in the middle.

Any experience on AM's as the wide midfields ?

Any experience on AM's as the wide midfields ?

TBF When i play 3-5-2 which is usally alot of the time, i find that your wing players often dont get good ratings, so playing AM's would be ok, often play AM/RM AM/LM AM/W Belussci* 89, dallessandro 90, foggia 89 on the wings for my barce in GC, but i dont know what effect having their secoundry posisitions are having.

I do have a new darlington div 4 team and play el sawaaery* that 16 yrs old off genoa and alcantera off barce in the wide posisitions and the're doing very well ;) Scoring lots

AS SAMRTDOC SAID, the 3-5-2 even when playing defensive does mean you will concede alot of goals, soif you have not goot attackers i woudl advise agianst this formation for the duarion of a season. As you will need to score 2/3 every match to be picking up 3 points.

I hardly ever keep clean sheets whatever formation i play :(;)

TBF When i play 3-5-2 which is usally alot of the time' date=' i find that your wing players often dont get good ratings, so playing AM's would be ok, often play AM/RM AM/LM AM/W Belussci* 89, dallessandro 90, foggia 89 on the wings for my barce in GC, but i dont know what effect having their secoundry posisitions are having.

I do have a new darlington div 4 team and play el sawaaery* that 16 yrs old off genoa and alcantera off barce in the wide posisitions and the're doing very well ;) Scoring lots

AS SAMRTDOC SAID, the 3-5-2 even when playing defensive does mean you will concede alot of goals, soif you have not goot attackers i woudl advise agianst this formation for the duarion of a season. As you will need to score 2/3 every match to be picking up 3 points.

I hardly ever keep clean sheets whatever formation i play :(;)[/quote']

I believe we're using bit different tactics with 3-5-2 as in my experience it works great defensively and I have, as I said, used it even down the flanks, so with wingers being my most important players and actuallly had forwards for my lowest rated players - and I won the title last season with that team. But thanks for advice, still.

Player I'm considering to play as RM is pure AM, Misimovic.

I have some times used 3-5-2 succesfully with down both flanks and even down right/lef flank only. But it has been in situations' date=' where I have had a significant advantage on at least one of the flanks (= opponent has had a weak spot there and my wingers at the time were my highest rated players). Never used trhough the middle in 3-5-2, although I currently have a team that is by far strongest in the middle.

Any experience on AM's as the wide midfields ?[/quote']

Usually I go with 'mixed' attacking style first, then after 60 min, changed to attacking 'down both flanks' and it does not have any significant effect TBO. If I go with 'down both flanks' from the start, I will lose due to loss of possession of the ball.

TBF When i play 3-5-2 which is usally alot of the time' date=' i find that your wing players often dont get good ratings, so playing AM's would be ok, often play AM/RM AM/LM AM/W Belussci* 89, dallessandro 90, foggia 89 on the wings for my barce in GC, but i dont know what effect having their secoundry posisitions are having.

I do have a new darlington div 4 team and play el sawaaery* that 16 yrs old off genoa and alcantera off barce in the wide posisitions and the're doing very well Scoring lots

I hardly ever keep clean sheets whatever formation i play[/quote']

Agree!!! I also use primary wingers quite often but only some of them play consistently well for me. And their performance ratings are much lower than my strikers, even CM/DMs.

But I notice that almost in all my clubs, most wingers are just one match wonders. For example, my Robben scored 7 goals in first 3 games! Brilliant!!! But after that, 0 goals for the next 21 matches.:(

I believe we're using bit different tactics with 3-5-2 as in my experience it works great defensively and I have' date=' as I said, used it even down the flanks, so with wingers being my most important players and actuallly had forwards for my lowest rated players - and I won the title last season with that team. But thanks for advice, still.

Player I'm considering to play as RM is pure AM, Misimovic. [/quote']

I have success playing AM/W. They are perfect at LM/RM's positions. Iniesta, Hleb, Ferdinand, Danny... Most of them play consistently well, only except for my Arshavin, who always failed to meet my expectations (very poor goal/assist record, lower average performance rating, but surprisingly, a lot of MoMs!)

For me, the most important players in 3-5-2 formation is the central triangle formed by the two CMs and the DM. Strong central triangle can help control the ball and hence the whole game. And I agree that strikers form is much more important than rating, and I also use below 90 rated young strikers quite often.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had any experience playing a FWD/AM in one of the midfield positions in the 3-5-2...

Am wondering if I could successfully play someone like Jovetic or Ronaldinho (FWD/AM) at one of the inside midfield positions...

----------GK----------

---CB----CB----CB---

----------DM----------

X----X---------X----X

-----FWD----CF------

I have had a lot of success in the past playing a CM/DM, CM, AM/CM, AM, AM/Wing at one of these 2 inside midfield positions (X)....

Just curious if anyone has any experience playing a FWD/AM

Thanks

This is my favourite formation, and it's proving to be very successful for me this season. I use normal tackling (hard when up against a better side), defensive mentality, direct passing, mixed attacking style, slow tempo, pressing own half, counter-attack, men behind ball, tight marking, targetman. I use the offside trap only if the opposition forwards are rated lower or similar to my defenders.

Using these tactics, my record this season is 9 wins, 1 draw & 2 defeats (both defeats coming against unmanaged sides. Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:).

I play this formation alot. Works quite well.

Read somewhere that you should play attacking mentality if you are +1/+2 better than opponent. Normal if equal. Defensive if -1/-2 worse than opponent (with counter attacking). This has always worked quite well for me.

Also read that counter attacking and attacking attitude dont do together as they contradict each other.........kinda makes sense.

Also dont play offsides if they have strong forward line.

Use CF as target man........even if less rated than other forward. (Kanoute has had a stormer for me playing as CF.......golden boot twice in three seasons)

I have played AM on wing and Fwd/Am in the midfield both seemed to work OK with little difference noted

I'm due to play a home match (for me) against an opponent whose average rating 93 is higher than mine (90).

He's on 16 pts in last 6 games, and pretty much the form team.

This guy plays 3-5-2 in every match with mixed attack and passing and normal tackling, mentality and passing, lastly with pressing in own half. He selects only Men Behind Ball, Tight Marketing and Target Man. Any advice how I can defeat him?