Sign in to follow this  
Omzin8a

Penalty Controversy

Those of you that have been following the Confederations Cup will know that during the game between Egypt and Brazil, a penalty was awarded. Having come from 3-1 down, the Pharohs levelled to 3-3.

In the final minute of added time, an Egyptian player handled in the box. The referee and linesman initially gave a corner, however this was changed to a penalty based on what the 4th official had seen in video evidence.

There is no doubt it was a penalty, however the manner in which it was given is not in the rules. The referee cannot change his decision due to what the 4th official has seen. Perhaps the rules need to be reviewed.

Re: Penalty Controversy

Is this not a new thing for this competition, testing this out?

If not then egypt were robbed, because brasil were offered 1 decsion based on tv highlights when egypt did not benifit at all in this way in this match?

Only heard about this from you so i'll go check it out now...

Edit:

Egypt IMO should get a point for this game, even tough it was the corect decision

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8102154.stm

Well i f u saw the slow motion, indeed is a penalty. But once the referee blow for a corner then is a corner, the most is that after the match he will apologise after viewing the video. But if the 4th official saw the video n comm the referee, it is definitely not fair to Egypt.

Egypt at least deserve a point. What a misfortune.......:(

Is this not a new thing for this competition' date=' testing this out?

If not then egypt were robbed, because brasil were offered 1 decsion based on tv highlights when egypt did not benifit at all in this way in this match?

Only heard about this from you so i'll go check it out now...[/quote']

From all I know there are no indications of this. Closest is on the link pg 13 article 6 no.2 which states that this must be implemented at least 1 month before

While it is not in the rules about the 4th offical it should be. The right desicion was given so Egypt do not really have a leg to stand on. I can see why they are complaining but it was plain to see El Mohamadi handballed on the line.

The way i see it is if video evidence has been used to make sure the correct decision was made then that is progress, and surely a nudge to FIFA that this kind of thing could be very very helpful indeed.

Stinks of sour grapes from Egypt tbh - the guy clearly handled it. They wouldn't be complaining if it had been a Brazil player who committed the offence and they'd have won the game as a result.

But if the option of video evidence is now in use, why wasnt anyone informed of it? You can't change rules 'in game' which is essentially what has happened.

I agree video evidence should be used in the future but you must make teams aware of this and judging by Egypts reaction, they werent aware of it. I'm not saying it isnt a progress, but the manner in which it has been used is wrong.

I'm a believer of justice being done and the correct decision regardless of whether the rules stipulate it differenty. In this case it was a clear penalty and justice was done. If according to the rules the penalty shouldn't have been awarded (which indeed was the case here), then the rules need looking at rather than the final decision. I do have a little sympathy for the Egyptians , but not too much to be honest as the correct decision was eventually made.

Imagine if you were the Brazilian side and the referee didn't give the penalty, even though most of the ground saw it. We'd then be sitting here criticising the referee. I still for the life of me can't see why TV replays shouldn't be used in these instances, when there is a natural break in play, especially for game changing/result-altering moments like this.

So going by the letter of the law, perhaps the Egyptians were hard done-by, but going by the true spirit of the game as it should be (getting the correct decision by using any means available), it was the correct result in my opinion :)

I do agree that Webb made the right decision. The bottom line is that it was a penalty and a red card so he had no other option but to give it. Referees can make mistakes and not get it right first time so he was probably right to back down from his original decision and give the penalty.

I really don't know why Egypt were complaining. Going by quality they will walk over USA and probably get a draw vs Italy. I can't se the Italians going therough to the semi finals anyway. :)

They wouldn't be complaining if it had been a Brazil player who committed the offence and they'd have won the game as a result.

Who would? No single person, team or country would complain if they'd been given a lucky decision for them, would they? :confused:

I never understand why people say, "if they'd got the decision, they wouldn't be moaning would they?" Of course they wouldn't. It's the same the other way around - if Brazil hadn't got a penalty and had drawn, would you say to anyone complaining about that the exact same thing?

Anyway, I don't understand why it's not in the rules. The Ref can change his decision after consulting with the Assistant, why not with the 4th official?

It did seem Webb got information from the fourth offical but FIFA have said it was his linesman who told him that it was a handball on the line.

A thorough analysis revealed that the decision in question was achieved through teamwork between the match referee and his assistant referee number-one Mike Mullarkey' date=' who confirmed the offence to the referee from his clear viewing angle.[/quote']

Who would? No single person' date=' team or country would complain if they'd been given a lucky decision for them, would they? :confused:

I never understand why people say, "if they'd got the decision, they wouldn't be moaning would they?" Of course they wouldn't. It's the same the other way around - if Brazil hadn't got a penalty and had drawn, would you say to anyone complaining about that the exact same thing?

Anyway, I don't understand why it's not in the rules. The Ref can change his decision after consulting with the Assistant, why not with the 4th official?[/quote']

You misunderstand me. In a normal situation where the referee has made an incorrect decision and a team has benefited of course they aren't going to complain about it......

but in this case the referee made exactly the right decision and Egypt are complaining about the methods used to come to that decision. The fact isthe correct call was made and the fact the video may have been used is irrelevant......Egypt don't have a leg to stand on

Seems the referees can't win....

I do agree that the correct decision was made. Please keep reading, this may seem like its going nowhere but it is.....

The defender has indeed prevented a goal by using his hand/arm which should in turn lead to a penalty kick and a red card being issued. There has been an infringment on the rules that has resulted in a penalty being awarded and obviously the red card. BUT... why is it then ok that the same book of rules/procedures were then broken again on this occasion by the officials in taking advice from the fourth official that, or so it has been claimed at least, has seen a television replay of the incident in question.

The rules do really need to be looked at regarding the use of TV for important decisions. Although the correct decision was made regarding the penalty, FIFA's own rules were broken in the process by the people who are there to ensure the rules/procedures are followed. Ironic is it not....