Official Manchester City Thread

JuniorBlue

Re: Official Manchester City Thread

Oh how times have changed that United fans are getting excited to see us losing in the first group stage match. :o:o:rolleyes:

We were superb defensively for 87 minutes, just ashame we couldn't hold on for at least a point. We led to one of the best teams in the world twice away from home. I'm proud of how we played and if we play like that in future games we can certainly qualify and push on through the competition. Yaya was outstanding and Nastasic looked decent. Just gutted in the manner we lost it and that we blew a lead so close to the end.

Haha' date=' Hart letting in that 3rd goal didn't surprise me either.[/quote']

More Kompany's fault for ducking and getting in the way of the line of the shot which was the reason for the fault of conceding a third goal.

The game was great and personally believe City will progress through by betaing ajax and Bvb twice and should take points from Real

Not all that upset. Being competitive at Madrid is a big step from Bayern last season. Yaya was immense apart from his final pass a few times in the first half. Hart was also incredible and kept us in it on several occasions. The defence was weak again with Marcelo and Ronaldo given far too much time for their goals and Nastasic not close enough to Benzema for his. He shouldn't have been given this baptism of fire and Zabaleta should have started over Maicon.

Ronaldo scored 1 effort from 10, which is abysmal.

Not everything goes the way you plan however putting City against Bvb and Ajax on paper is a total miss match. Believe city can walk away with majority of points. Possibly 12

You discredit both teams especially Dortmund quite a lot there... At home they'll give you a really tough test and I expect them to be the better team

No team will be able to limit him to many less

When that team has the quality of players that City does, with players of the ilk of Kompany and Toure they should have had a 'plan' to an extent to limit his threat.

However, City were so open at times that you worry for them when it comes down to the nitty gritty stages of clean sheets etc in the knockout stages (assuming they qualify from the group).

When that team has the quality of players that City does' date=' with players of the ilk of Kompany and Toure they should have had a 'plan' to an extent to limit his threat. .[/quote']

No because they have the other players to deal with, Ronaldo doesn't play in a position the CB's can limit.

If football was easy as the above to stop the best players then people wouldn't need to worry about the likes of Messi and Ronaldo and they wouldn't be known as 2 of the greatest players.

The fact they are so much better than other players means teams need 2 or more players to stop them, but in doing that you also leave your team open to other players and when those players are as good as Madrids.... you would be in more trouble than letting Ronaldo shoot on sight.

No because they have the other players to deal with' date=' Ronaldo doesn't play in a position the CB's can limit.

If football was easy as the above to stop the best players then people wouldn't need to worry about the likes of Messi and Ronaldo and they wouldn't be known as 2 of the greatest players.

The fact they are so much better than other players means teams need 2 or more players to stop them, but in doing that you also leave your team open to other players and when those players are as good as Madrids.... you would be in more trouble than letting Ronaldo shoot on sight.[/quote']

I understand the angle you are taking but have to disagree (for a change;))

City claim to have realistic ambitions of challenging for the CL this season, and considering they have one of the best defensive units around, one would feel that they could have focused on restricting Ronaldo a lot more than to the 10 shots he had.

As has been seen recently, if you are able to negate Ronaldo's threat Real do not really seem to have a plan B despite their array of talent.

They needed a De Jong type last night, rather than a Garcia or Barry. Be interesting in the return game to see if Man City try and win. If they do i think they could get a result.

The last goal was Kompany's fault, though i think 9/10 people's gut reaction to that would be to get out of the way. That's where you need a stupid Englishman to throw his head at the ball.

They needed a De Jong type last night' date=' rather than a Garcia or Barry. Be interesting in the return game to see if Man City try and win. If they do i think they could get a result.

The last goal was Kompany's fault, though i think 9/10 people's gut reaction to that would be to get out of the way. That's where you need a stupid Englishman to throw his head at the ball.[/quote']

De Jong could have been perfect.

And as much as it pains me to lavish ANY form of admiration for the following player, had JT been in Kompany's position for the 3rd goal last night we would have been discussing a 2-2 draw:o

I understand the angle you are taking but have to disagree (for a change;))

City claim to have realistic ambitions of challenging for the CL this season' date=' and considering they have one of the best defensive units around, one would feel that they could have focused on restricting Ronaldo a lot more than to the 10 shots he had.

As has been seen recently, if you are able to negate Ronaldo's threat Real do not really seem to have a plan B despite their array of talent.[/quote']

ok lets put it another way :)

Had that game been over 2 legs they have just taken 2 away goals from Madrid back to City with only trailing by 1 goal.

That result would have been classed as amazingly good as is always the case.

City have just been to the ground of a team that would beat ANY English team imo and only just lost out due to a mistake at the end.

Yes things could have been better but they always can, look at what Barca do to you guys, sometimes you cant do much about it.

ok lets put it another way :)

Had that game been over 2 legs they have just taken 2 away goals from Madrid back to City with only trailing by 1 goal.

That result would have been classed as amazingly good as is always the case.

City have just been to the ground of a team that would beat ANY English team imo and only just lost out due to a mistake at the end.

Yes things could have been better but they always can' date=' look at what Barca do to you guys, sometimes you cant do much about it.[/quote']

That makes a bit more sense.

However,

in the group stage (and considering City's 'group of death'), one would have thought that City would have tried to contain Madrid (Ronaldo) a lot more. Instead they were all over the place defensively and it was quite surprising that they didn't concede 6 tbh.

Just feel that if you are not going to try to contain Ronaldo and stifle Madrid then you are always going to concede the amount of opportunites that City did last night, and whilst they did 'only' lose to a 90th minute goal, it could so easily have been 5 or 6.

Good result in the 'knockout' rounds, but a poor performance and result in the group stages where every point will be so valuable.

That makes a bit more sense.

However' date='

in the group stage (and considering City's 'group of death'), one would have thought that City would have tried to contain Madrid (Ronaldo) a lot more. Instead they were all over the place defensively and it was quite surprising that they didn't concede 6 tbh.

Just feel that if you are not going to try to contain Ronaldo and stifle Madrid then you are always going to concede the amount of opportunites that City did last night, and whilst they did 'only' lose to a 90th minute goal, it could so easily have been 5 or 6.

Good result in the 'knockout' rounds, but a poor performance and result in the group stages where every point will be so valuable.[/quote']

Yeah agree in parts but, when Madrid play close to there best with the right commitment teams are not able to 'stifle' them :o

Have you seen what happens to teams that try and do that? even from his Man Utd days I'm sure you can remember what he did to most teams who tried to stifle you.

If City gave Ronaldo extra protection, that makes quite a bit of space for some other 'very good' players.

I know what you are saying, but... when you play away to the likes of Madrid and Barca if they are on there game there is very little you can do.

Had City played very defensive last night and lost, they would have got just as much critisism saying 'they should have had a go' etc etc

One may argue that allowing Madrid's best player the freedom to have 10 efforts on goal is equally "abysmal".

It is. More so in fact. I said that our defence was weak in my initial post. However those even comparing Ronaldo to Messi based on last night's performance need to understand how often Ronaldo wastes possession with frankly poor and unnecessary shots. He'll certainly have to up his game when we buy him next summer ;)

Depends what you mean by "outclassed"' date='in terms of possession and territory? then probably yes,however in terms of actual chances created it was fairly even[/quote']

What!?!? Were you watching. Shots on first half 21-1 for Real, and good scoring chances (close to score with a shot, not counting, for example, City's 4 against 2 attack that was completely screwed up and ended without a shot, or Ronald failing to shoot in a clear chance in the end, or Benzema not getting a shot soon after) like 8-0 for Real. Second half more even, shots 14-9 for Real, before City's goal 7-3 for Real, and good scoring chances I'd say about 8-4 for Real. That game was nowhere near even. Not in any respect. So, all in all, scoring chances about 16-4 for Real. Absolutely the right team won. This was most positive Real Madrid I have seen for a long while and perhaps the most positive that I have seen from Mourinho ever, at least against a supposedly big opponent.

As for MOM? Yaya?,the one who Madrid struggled to cope with all night,how laid Dzeko's goal on a plate,his final ball was poor at times but his runs stopped Madrid from attacking more,simply fantastic for me tonight.

I fully agree that YaYa was City's key player, of course aside from Hart. Another to mention could be Tevez. He didn't get to do much with the ball, but that was much because Pepe seemed to be always following him and he made a lot of work out of ball, keeping Pepe out of position a lot. Varane was sometimes pretty alone in the defence against Dzeko (and usually either Ya Ya or Silva) and you had a few chances due to that.

However, "struggled to cope wit hall night" is pretty harsh put, when it is more like he just got his few moments. Yes, 4 dribbles, good, means one every 15 minutes, but not whole match. As for the end product, two chances created, 2 shots. If you think of all the eye catching moments he had, they are in those stats and he did nothing else. Not really bullying Real Madrid, no. Defence wise he was kind of lacking, as was whole City. Stats prove this observation right, again: 0 tackles and interceptions.

Now, Ronaldo hardly gets the praise he deserves for his match. 50 passes with 100% accuracy, mostly in the final third! That's freaking amazing. And just how many times did he get through the City defence. Stats say 7 successful dribbles and 10 shots, of which 3 on target. That's more like really causing troubles to the opponent. And don't forget his tireless pressing. The hard pressing lead by Khedira and strongly aided by his midfield partners Alonso and Essien, is what mostly destroyed City's game throughout the match, and its highest point was Ronaldo who messed up your starting passes. Your defencive players had poor passing accuracy, starting from Hart, who played mostly long balls (14/17) with accuracy as low as 35% (all passes included, against Casillas' 73% success in his 11 passes, of which 4 long with rate of 50%). It hardly is that City's strategy was based on long balls, they played less of them than Real Madrid and average pass streak was 5 for both, Real playing twice as many through balls as City and City having a higher percentage of short passes (of all passes) tried with 83,6% against Real's 82%. But Hart was often forced to a hasty long ball that immediately lost the ball to Real.

The stats above also suggest, as I have already been thinking, that City didn't so much try to play counter attack as it was forced to counter as they didn't get their game going. That is further affirmed when you take in count the fact that almost all counter attacks (that brought only 3 of the shots) were created by Ya Ya's sudden solo runs, which seems more like an individual change of game than a complete strategy of playing counter attacks.

There's no one single reason why City failed to cope against Ronaldo, amongst them is of course his great ability, but one thing made the task much harder than it already was, and that thing was Maicon.

When Mancini lined up Maicon, only rationale for that would appear to be playing him high up with Nasri and forcing Real to defend on their dangerous left flank, or to cause a lot of strong counter attacks on that side if Marcelo and Ronaldo don't come down. So it would either tie that flank to defencive duties or cause huge amount of scoring chances in both ends. However, Maicon was hardly used that way. He played high, that's true, but City hardly even tried to attack from the right side. Even when Nasri was still on field, he made several runs to open space without ever getting the ball. And in the end, only Real Madrid created a huge amount of chances from that side of the pitch. And Zabaleta hardly helped. If you think of it, Real still destroyed the left flank after the change. Instead, Zabaleta actually was more effective in attack than Maicon, but one would have thought that City needed more defence at that point.

Maybe Mancini's strategy was to attack that right flank, which would seem a good option, but for that his midfielders were positioned strangely narrowly. As long as Nasri was on field, pushing up the right flank even worked to the extent that Marcelo was kept a bit occupied at least and some space opened for Nasri time to time (although he never got the ball there). Instead, when Kolarov came in and much changed City's focus to the left side leaving right flank for Maicon alone, Marcelo started to roam free on his side and was maybe the most dangerous player of the second half (but note, not as much a threat during the first half). But if that was the case, Mancini's players, particularly Ya Ya Touré and David Silva, failed him by playing attacks too slowly and insisting on getting through the middle or better yet, passing to the left flank even when Nasri was still on. After Nasri left the field, that flank was given to Real. Interestingly, Real Madrid still attacked from all sides evenly.

Di Maria created enormous amount of chances despite of playing the much harder flank where Clichy really made his day difficult (unlike Maicon for Ronaldo) and where he had to play against pretty stuffed flank with Clichy, Kolarov and even Silva (who kept Arbeloa busy). He was quite rightly called the man of the match above (don't remember who called, but the one to whom the quoted post answered), but I would accept Ronaldo as well. Only, things were not made really as hard to Ronaldo as they were to Di Maria.

What!?!? Were you watching. Shots on first half 21-1 for Real' date=' and good scoring chances (close to score with a shot, not counting, for example, City's 4 against 2 attack that was completely screwed up and ended without a shot, or Ronald failing to shoot in a clear chance in the end, or Benzema not getting a shot soon after) like 8-0 for Real. Second half more even, shots 14-9 for Real, before City's goal 7-3 for Real, and good scoring chances I'd say about 8-4 for Real. That game was nowhere near even. Not in any respect. So, all in all, scoring chances about 16-4 for Real. Absolutely the right team won. This was most positive Real Madrid I have seen for a long while and perhaps the most positive that I have seen from Mourinho ever, at least against a supposedly big opponent.

I fully agree that YaYa was City's key player, of course aside from Hart. Another to mention could be Tevez. He didn't get to do much with the ball, but that was much because Pepe seemed to be always following him and he made a lot of work out of ball, keeping Pepe out of position a lot. Varane was sometimes pretty alone in the defence against Dzeko (and usually either Ya Ya or Silva) and you had a few chances due to that.

However, "struggled to cope wit hall night" is pretty harsh put, when it is more like he just got his few moments. Yes, 4 dribbles, good, means one every 15 minutes, but not whole match. As for the end product, two chances created, 2 shots. If you think of all the eye catching moments he had, they are in those stats and he did nothing else. Not really bullying Real Madrid, no. Defence wise he was kind of lacking, as was whole City. Stats prove this observation right, again: 0 tackles and interceptions.[/quote']I don't think there are many players who can take the game by the scruff of the neck single-handedly like Toure from midfield. The old Gerrard used to do it, but i think Toure could be better.

When he had the opportunity to take it forward he did it every time and beat most of the players in his way every time. If Man City were set up with a couple of other players who could cope with other threats - a De Jong type would have been good as i mentioned, or maybe even Zabaleta in midfield ahead of Garcia - they would have been able to use Toure as a go forward option more often.

Maybe he lacked a bit of a final ball at times, but there was one occasion where Silva could have let the perfect pass run across him and shoot with his right, but of course the 200k per week David Silva has no right foot.

EDIT

Like i say though, remember who they were playing and where they were playing. It's only their second season in the CL too isn't it?

They've got the players to go for it against Real at home, so i hope they play against the team rather than the reputation.

I will give my thoughts on the City V Madrid game later, I know you are all anxiously awaiting them...

But to correct a few people (mainly rose-tinted United fans) Messi is better than Ronaldo whatever which way you look at it and upon my return from work I am quite happy to give you reasons why....

On no comparable is Ronaldo Messi's measure...end of...but when I have more time later if anybody wants to start a thread it is quite easy to underline the reasons why :)