Official Manchester City Thread

JuniorBlue

Re: Official Manchester City Thread

Zabs voted best right back in the league - can see any arguments with that!

This message is hidden because Rooney_Persie_RIP_sad_little_glory_hunting_moron is on your ignore list.

To use a phrase from Waynes World?

"A sphincter says what?" ;)

Who do people think/would people like to see making their way to Manchester this summer? I personally think we should look at a new formation, given that our 4231 passing the ball though walls of defenders hasn't been nearly as productive as last season, and the 352 is hopeless. Considering that full backs in the PL are pretty much secondary attackers, I'd like us to stick forwards on the wings and play with a deeper 'false 9' kind of player. Using the current squad:

Hart

Zabaleta - Kompany - Nastasic - Clichy

Y Toure

Milner - Nasri

Silva

Tevez ------------------------ Aguero

I think the defence should be adequately covered by Maicon, Richards, Rekik and Kolarov seeing as Garcia can also slot in back there. In the middle I'd like us to try and move Barry on as he's started to head downhill this season. Garcia can cover the holding role (and play there against stronger sides when we'd move Yaya forward) and Rodwell can be useful box-to-box (he scored a hat-trick yesterday in the Senior Cup). I think we could use another deep lying creative player who could cover either Nasri or Silva's role - my choice would be Isco. I'd expect Dzeko to leave and he's not suited to a wing role either. Reports are linking us with Cavani and Reus who would be superb, as would Sanchez from Barca.

Who do people think/would people like to see making their way to Manchester this summer? I personally think we should look at a new formation' date=' given that our 4231 passing the ball though walls of defenders hasn't been nearly as productive as last season, and the 352 is hopeless. Considering that full backs in the PL are pretty much secondary attackers, I'd like us to stick forwards on the wings and play with a deeper 'false 9' kind of player. Using the current squad:

[center']Hart

Y Toure

Milner - Nasri

Silva

Tevez ------------------------ Aguero[/center]

I think the defence should be adequately covered by Maicon, Richards, Rekik and Kolarov seeing as Garcia can also slot in back there. In the middle I'd like us to try and move Barry on as he's started to head downhill this season. Garcia can cover the holding role (and play there against stronger sides when we'd move Yaya forward) and Rodwell can be useful box-to-box (he scored a hat-trick yesterday in the Senior Cup). I think we could use another deep lying creative player who could cover either Nasri or Silva's role - my choice would be Isco. I'd expect Dzeko to leave and he's not suited to a wing role either. Reports are linking us with Cavani and Reus who would be superb, as would Sanchez from Barca.

Imagine how good that formation would be if you had Bale where Silva was... :P I know you probably wouldn't want him either but even Suarez?!

Maybe a new LB as well.. Baines? DM to replace Barry.. Bender (the Leverkusen one?)

Those would all be good signings :D

Imagine how good that formation would be if you had Bale where Silva was... :P I know you probably wouldn't want him either but even Suarez?!

Maybe a new LB as well.. Baines? DM to replace Barry.. Bender (the Leverkusen one?)

Those would all be good signings :D

I'd prefer Silva over either as he'd be better at threading through passes to the wide men cutting in. He's not been at his best this season but he's not had a break for years with Spain involved in international tournaments every summer.

Clichy's been excellent for us so no need to replace him. A DM may be useful to shift Yaya forward though :)

Don't you think you actually need a world class winger aswell? I know you never utilise the winger position as Adam Johnson is just handy nice squad player and Sinclair just brought to add English quota in the squad. Milner,Silva,and Nasri are brilliant but they always tend to cut inside as they favour to play there.

I also you need new DM as Barry just isn't good enough if you want to compete for bigger things. He's not even left footed Carrick,so he can't control the game. Neither Garcia and Rodwell are type of destroyer and both of them just brought as squad player/panic signing.

With Dzeko set to leave too, i think you also need alternative striker. Guidetti should be 4th choice if he's fit again next season and i think you need different type of striker beside Aguero and Tevez.

Tiote,Reus,Cavani seems realistic enough for you and will improve your first team. Then i also think you need a new backup CB and maybe backup winger who's actually better than Sinclair

Who do people think/would people like to see making their way to Manchester this summer? I personally think we should look at a new formation' date=' given that our 4231 passing the ball though walls of defenders hasn't been nearly as productive as last season, and the 352 is hopeless. Considering that full backs in the PL are pretty much secondary attackers, I'd like us to stick forwards on the wings and play with a deeper 'false 9' kind of player. Using the current squad:

[center']Hart

Y Toure

Milner - Nasri

Silva

Tevez ------------------------ Aguero[/center]

Dare I say.....we need more goals from Silva

I'd prefer Silva over either as he'd be better at threading through passes to the wide men cutting in. He's not been at his best this season but he's not had a break for years with Spain involved in international tournaments every summer.

Clichy's been excellent for us so no need to replace him. A DM may be useful to shift Yaya forward though :)

I can't stand Clichy, his forward play and defending is average. Baines as a whole would be a lot better option.

I think if you guys signed Bale (he's scored the most goals in the PL outside of the box) i think this would stop your team from trying to walk the ball into the net a little bit.

Aguero has had a poor season (by his standards) so another striker wouldn't go amiss either if you can sell Dzeko (Dortmund are said to be interested) and loan Guidetti out maybe.

Barry has gone, need to get rid A.S.A.P. Song would be a good option (deep-lying midfielder with the capability to pull out a 50 yard pass) but i don't think Barca would sell. Rodwell needs a chance too... great player at Everton, maybe rotate him with Milner.

I can't stand Clichy' date=' his forward play and defending is average. Baines as a whole would be a lot better option.

I think if you guys signed Bale (he's scored the most goals in the PL outside of the box) i think this would stop your team from trying to walk the ball into the net a little bit.

Aguero has had a poor season (by his standards) so another striker wouldn't go amiss either if you can sell Dzeko (Dortmund are said to be interested) and loan Guidetti out maybe.

Barry has gone, need to get rid A.S.A.P. Song would be a good option (deep-lying midfielder with the capability to pull out a 50 yard pass) but i don't think Barca would sell. Rodwell needs a chance too... great player at Everton, maybe rotate him with Milner.[/quote']

Rodwell was far from great at Everton, he had about two very good games and the rest he was pretty average.

Don't you think you actually need a world class winger aswell? I know you never utilise the winger position as Adam Johnson is just handy nice squad player and Sinclair just brought to add English quota in the squad. Milner' date='Silva,and Nasri are brilliant but they always tend to cut inside as they favour to play there.

I also you need new DM as Barry just isn't good enough if you want to compete for bigger things. He's not even left footed Carrick,so he can't control the game. Neither Garcia and Rodwell are type of destroyer and both of them just brought as squad player/panic signing.

With Dzeko set to leave too, i think you also need alternative striker. Guidetti should be 4th choice if he's fit again next season and i think you need different type of striker beside Aguero and Tevez.

Tiote,Reus,Cavani seems realistic enough for you and will improve your first team. Then i also think you need a new backup CB and maybe backup winger who's actually better than Sinclair[/quote']

No need for wingers if we aren't going to play with them. Plus, if you have one then you kinda need two for balance. It'd be a very expensive plan B option.

Barry was excellent last season but has regressed this. I'd like Garcia to be given a bit more of a chance as he's strong in the tackle and half decent on the ball but I would agree that a top class DM would be nice. Tiote's no better than Javi though.

I really don't want us to get a target man replacement as they simply don't work for us. Dzeko's scored goals but doesn't fit the style of play and, before him, Adebayor was similar. As I said, I'd like a forward (or maybe even a couple) that are competent on the wing and can cut in onto through balls from the likes of Yaya, Nasri and Silva who would dominate possession in the middle of the park. Reus and Cavani would be excellent shouts.

Back up CB is one I'm unsure on as I really like Karim Rekik in our academy and think we should be promoting players who do well there.

Dare I say.....we need more goals from Silva

More goals from Silva would be nice' date=' but he's never really been much of a goalscorer. Even at Valencia, the most he got was 8 in a league season. He scores more for Spain but that's because he's further up the pitch in that false 9 role which I think we could replicate at City.

I can't stand Clichy, his forward play and defending is average. Baines as a whole would be a lot better option.

Barry has gone, need to get rid A.S.A.P. Song would be a good option (deep-lying midfielder with the capability to pull out a 50 yard pass) but i don't think Barca would sell. Rodwell needs a chance too... great player at Everton, maybe rotate him with Milner.

That's harsh on Clichy. We've had a very solid defence this season and he gets a few assists a season which is fine by me. Baines may be better but it's not a position worth spending £20m to improve on IMO.

If we did go for Bale, I'd like him where I put Tevez on that formation, as more of a forward cutting in on that left foot. Silva's much better creatively.

Aguero's suffered a fair few injuries this season but he hasn't been as spectacular as last term. I think he often needs 4/5 chances to score and last season he was getting that, but this season he hasn't as teams overload their defence against us. We need to look to get him more clean cut chances but possibly fewer of them IMO. Best way to do that is to hold the ball a little deeper - say 30 yards out rather than in and around their box - and then look for a killer pass to a striker.

Song lacks discipline. I really don't rate him as a DM because of that. Milner's been one of our best players this season too and, of anyone in that line-up, Rodwell would be pushing on Nasri's spot.

No need for wingers if we aren't going to play with them. Plus' date=' if you have one then you kinda need two for balance. It'd be a very expensive plan B option.

Barry was excellent last season but has regressed this. I'd like Garcia to be given a bit more of a chance as he's strong in the tackle and half decent on the ball but I would agree that a top class DM would be nice. Tiote's no better than Javi though.

I really don't want us to get a target man replacement as they simply don't work for us. Dzeko's scored goals but doesn't fit the style of play and, before him, Adebayor was similar. As I said, I'd like a forward (or maybe even a couple) that are competent on the wing and can cut in onto through balls from the likes of Yaya, Nasri and Silva who would dominate possession in the middle of the park. Reus and Cavani would be excellent shouts.

Back up CB is one I'm unsure on as I really like Karim Rekik in our academy and think we should be promoting players who do well there.

[/quote']

That's why you shouldn't make wingers just become Plan B. Let's be honest, Mancini can't use system that use winger as main plan because all of your wingers just aren't good enough to challenge for first team spot. You've tried pushed Milner,Silva and Nasri wide but i still think you need world class winger.

I like Bayern team for example as they have a lot of different type of player who play behind main striker. A playmaker who can play deeper (Kroos), a player with pace and skill (Robben), a creative player who's quick and intelligent enough (Ribery), a pure winger (Shaqiri), and an energetic player who can run all 90 minutes (Muller). Your team in my opinion just doesn't have this kind of diversity at the moment because there's quite a big gap from 1st team with 2nd team

That's why you shouldn't make wingers just become Plan B. Let's be honest' date=' Mancini can't use system that use winger as main plan because all of your wingers just aren't good enough to challenge for first team spot. You've tried pushed Milner,Silva and Nasri wide but i still think you need world class winger.

I like Bayern team for example as they have a lot of different type of player who play behind main striker. A playmaker who can play deeper (Kroos), a player with pace and skill (Robben), a creative player who's quick and intelligent enough (Ribery), a pure winger (Shaqiri), and an energetic player who can run all 90 minutes (Muller). Your team in my opinion just doesn't have this kind of diversity at the moment because there's quite a big gap from 1st team with 2nd team[/quote']

Ah, I see what you're getting at now :) Difference between us and Bayern is the bloke up top. They have a choice of poaching CFs in Gomez, Mandzukic and Pizarro whereas our best strikers like to get more involved in play which doesn't suit wingers firing the ball in.

Ah' date=' I see what you're getting at now :) Difference between us and Bayern is the bloke up top. They have a choice of poaching CFs in Gomez, Mandzukic and Pizarro whereas our best strikers like to get more involved in play which doesn't suit wingers firing the ball in.[/quote']

Tbf Dzeko is not that bad a poacher either. If they have a choice of poaching CFs, you hav/had that too in Dzeko/Adebayor/Santa Cruz. All three of them were way better than the Bayern trio you just mentioned (except Gomez ofc) and by some distance too, it's just that they were not used properly. Where Bayern just bought them cheap(er) and made them what they are today- deadly strikers that is, you just splashed insane amounts of cash on what you now call useless players and practically ruined their careers.

An interesting stat for you :) source: transfermarkt.com

Roque Santa Cruz 21.2m (euros)

Emmanuel Adebayor 29m

Edin Dzeko 37m

Total: 87.2m

Mario Mandzukic 13m

Mario Gomez 30m

Claudio Pizarro - free

Total: 43m

I totally agree with Gozzy.

I really dont get your new shape Stu to me it looks like placeing round pegs in square holes, using Tevez and Aguero as inverted wide players is pointless, it takes away from all there natural strengths and they would only end up drifting inside all the time, thus not providing the width or dynamism in terms of pace on the flanks.

TBH I think you do need a plan B. Quite a few times this season you dont appear able to change your patterns of play be it through re-organising or a change in formation. The change to 3-5-2 any time it has been played against a half decent side has been catastrophic.

I agree with Gozzy in the sense that you always tend to play things through the middle and if that is not working where do you go?? Your only width comes from the full-backls and whilst Zabaleta and Clichy have both had decent seasons they are not the quality in the sense of the attacking third that you want the width provided.

Everything is played in front of the opposition and teams can get back in numbers, when your intricate play works it is beautiful to watch the inter-change between the usual suspects but I think a change up in the sense of a world-class winger would be a fabulous addition/option to your squad. A better deep lying playmaker might also help in switching the play quicker at times as it seems to take you a lot of passes sometimes to move the ball a small number of yards. They are hard to find but it helps to open up spaces and play more for the more talented intricate players in front.

Somebody with real pace, who can beat a man commit defenders and stretch the backline opening bigger spaces for the likes of Silva etc could be just the ticket, your not a side overloaded with pace either and surely it would make for a good option to have.

You dont HAVE to have two out and out wingers playing for it to be effective many sides have one out and out winger and one who tucks in a bit more.

I would have thought somebody like a James Rodriguez of Porto or somebody of that ilk could be just what you need.

Whoever you buy you need to make sure you get two serious good first XI ability players in to refresh things, if you have another summer like you did last year I cant see you turning the tide. Mancini, the board whoever made a serious mistake as I alluded to in not investing the money properly.

I think it would be fair to say you will be a lot quicker to move in the market this time around but until we see who you buy/sell it is impossible to gauge quite what is going to happen with the side.

Emmanuel Adebayor 29m

Edin Dzeko 37m

RSC - turgid beyond belief - definite one to blame Hughes and the fact Blackburn knew we had money

Adebayor - was brought in as a stepping stone, had a good 2-3 months, then like all other clubs he's been at he vanished into nothing

Dzeko - hasn't been awful, but hasn't lived up to his 'potential'

The day after Dzeko signed*, a Bosnian reporter was interviewed at the Etihad and said that Dzeko would be scoring more than 50 goals per season COUGH

*I think it was the next day...might have been a few days

@Ray, I'll try and respond a bit later when I'm less stressed about work :P

Lots of rumours linking us with Fernandinho this morning from Shakhtar. I've always been very impressed when I've watched him and I think he'd be a great addition.

@Ray' date=' I'll try and respond a bit later when I'm less stressed about work :P

Lots of rumours linking us with Fernandinho this morning from Shakhtar. I've always been very impressed when I've watched him and I think he'd be a great addition.[/quote']

That will be good signing if Shakhtar not ripped you off. I always see him as underrated player and it'll good to see him in PL

Tbf Dzeko is not that bad a poacher either. If they have a choice of poaching CFs' date=' you hav/had that too in Dzeko/Adebayor/Santa Cruz. All three of them were way better than the Bayern trio you just mentioned (except Gomez ofc) and by some distance too, it's just that they were not used properly. Where Bayern just bought them cheap(er) and made them what they are today- deadly strikers that is, you just splashed insane amounts of cash on what you now call useless players and practically ruined their careers.

An interesting stat for you :) source: transfermarkt.com

Emmanuel Adebayor 29m

Edin Dzeko 37m

Total: 87.2m

Mario Mandzukic 13m

Mario Gomez 30m

Claudio Pizarro - free

Total: 43m[/quote']

Santa Cruz's career was going down the drain before he joined us. Spent the entire previous season scoring no goals and testing the physio table at Blackburn before that genius Hughes decided to bring him along for £18m.

Adebayor was excellent for a few months before he started acting up, like he has at every club he's been at. His career ruination is all his own doing.

And Dzeko's career is far from ruined. Top goalscorer at a top PL club whilst he's been here. He's just never suited our style of play.

I totally agree with Gozzy.

I really dont get your new shape Stu to me it looks like placeing round pegs in square holes' date=' using Tevez and Aguero as inverted wide players is pointless, it takes away from all there natural strengths and they would only end up drifting inside all the time, thus not providing the width or dynamism in terms of pace on the flanks.[/quote']

Our width comes from our full backs, who are superb. Putting Tevez and Aguero out wide stops multiple opponents sitting on them without creating massive holes that we can exploit. At the moment we play very centrally which is easy to defend against. Putting strikers out wide would give us another edge and mean we could keep the intricate passing in the middle.

TBH I think you do need a plan B. Quite a few times this season you dont appear able to change your patterns of play be it through re-organising or a change in formation. The change to 3-5-2 any time it has been played against a half decent side has been catastrophic.

I agree. 352 was a neat idea but it's rarely been executed well. It actually worked wonderfully against Spurs at the Etihad when we doubled up on full backs (Maicon - Zaba - Kompany - Clichy - Kolarov). Maicon was terrific down the right as Zaba could deal with Bale.

I agree with Gozzy in the sense that you always tend to play things through the middle and if that is not working where do you go?? Your only width comes from the full-backls and whilst Zabaleta and Clichy have both had decent seasons they are not the quality in the sense of the attacking third that you want the width provided.

I don't think you necessarily need width. Barca never really had it and currently Bayern use inverted wingers. Placing strikers out wide also has the benefit of forcing opposition full backs' date=' rather than centre backs to mark them which limits many sides' attacking options.

Everything is played in front of the opposition and teams can get back in numbers, when your intricate play works it is beautiful to watch the inter-change between the usual suspects but I think a change up in the sense of a world-class winger would be a fabulous addition/option to your squad. A better deep lying playmaker might also help in switching the play quicker at times as it seems to take you a lot of passes sometimes to move the ball a small number of yards. They are hard to find but it helps to open up spaces and play more for the more talented intricate players in front.

On the whole, I think we need to attack faster when we turn over possession. I think that balls slid down the channels for forwards to cut in on is one way of doing this, as is a bit more precision when we counter. He's a marvelous player but Yaya's distribution is so poor when he's run 60 yards and put is in a position when we have a man over :P I'd like to play Nasri a little deeper, so long as we fill the rest of the midfield with grit. He'd make an excellent deep lying playmaker IMO.

Somebody with real pace' date=' who can beat a man commit defenders and stretch the backline opening bigger spaces for the likes of Silva etc could be just the ticket, your not a side overloaded with pace either and surely it would make for a good option to have.[/quote']

We have that with Yaya, though he gets by with power more than pace. I think stretching opponents is the key though, rather than settling in among them and passing it around. I'd like us to do that about 30 yards from the goal and then play a ball through the defence to a striker. Currently the strikers are very involved with the build-up, it's around their area and many of the more cutting passes go straight out.

You dont HAVE to have two out and out wingers playing for it to be effective many sides have one out and out winger and one who tucks in a bit more.

Fair point.

I would have thought somebody like a James Rodriguez of Porto or somebody of that ilk could be just what you need.

I do like James a lot. Seems to fit the profile Mancini likes too.

Whoever you buy you need to make sure you get two serious good first XI ability players in to refresh things' date=' if you have another summer like you did last year I cant see you turning the tide. Mancini, the board whoever made a serious mistake as I alluded to in not investing the money properly.

I think it would be fair to say you will be a lot quicker to move in the market this time around but until we see who you buy/sell it is impossible to gauge quite what is going to happen with the side.[/quote']

I agree, although first XI quality is a tough one to gauge. On paper, Milner's one of our weakest starters yet he's been one of our best players this season along with Zaba, who's also well down that quality list.

I'm not too bothered about not signing the big quality names, so long as the signings don't look like wastes. That's what bothered me about last summer. If we can sign a few more young players with great potential and they settle well, like Nastasic, then I'll be very pleased as they should be successful in the near future and they'll negate the need to buy a couple of £20m players every season, which we need as a club. Moving quickly is definitely necessary though.

That will be good signing if Shakhtar not ripped you off. I always see him as underrated player and it'll good to see him in PL

Some rumours are saying £23m, others £43m :P I'd be happy with the first figure, not so much the second. Looked awesome against Chelsea this season.

TEAM NEWS: Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany ©, Nastasic, Clichy, Yaya Toure, Barry, Nasri, Silva, Milner, Aguero.

Our first choice side out IMO (except maybe Tevez for Barry at home) so we should win considering Swansea's form. Would perhaps have liked to see a few more fringe players in to push for a final spot.

EDIT: SUBS NEWS: Pantilimon, Kolo Toure, Kolarov, Garcia, Rodwell, Tevez, Dzeko.

Great to see Rodwell back :)

Turgid performance so far - offering nothing up top at all at the moment

EDIT - Dull beyond belief - exactly like the sort of mid table end of season matches we used to get

EDIT2 - considering he has one of the finest touches, and best feet in English football - why can Silva not use those skills in front of goal?

4 goals, 9assists from 29 league games? Hmmm!

EDIT3 - 30 minutes into second half - not a single shot on target from either team this half

EDIT2 - considering he has one of the finest touches' date=' and best feet in English football - why can Silva not use those skills in front of goal?

4 goals, 9assists from 29 league games? Hmmm!

[/quote']

Jesus Christ, can't even hit the target from 8 yards with his left foot!

EDIT - I must have missed the Dzeko miss....

Think a point was fair today, fairly even game. Think we had the better of the chances in the first half, and you in the second but both teams were missing the finishing touch in front of goal.

We did have a stonewall penalty waved away, although not sure whether Chico's challenge on Dzeko was a penalty to be honest.

Good point for both teams really, helps us towards finishing in the top half and helps you in securing second.

What's up with him?

Blood clot in his shoulder, in hospital. Not sure how serious it is.