Official Manchester City Thread

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Manchester City Thread so who will finish higher this season - toure or city?

Re: Official Manchester City Thread Some guys here need an appearance on Jeremy Kyle to sort this thing out... "And the DNA... Results... Say... *Opens up envelope* He has no family from Manchester!

Re: Official Manchester City Thread FT: Man Utd 1-6 Man City. Bad mistake from Fergie resting Howard Webb.

Re: Official Manchester City Thread

Didn't it unlikely for Pellegrini to want to go back after(for me) harsh sacking last time?
Doubt it. Read some quotes on Pellegrini's views on Florentino Perez ;)

Not sure about Pelligrini -as he's relatively untested on the wider stage..

As regards to Mancini method of sacking-wasn't he waiting in the wings when Hughes got axed a la Juande Ramos..

Speaking to the official Malaga website, Pellegrini said, “I have an agreement with Malaga not to talk to anyone and nothing has been agreed with any other outfit.

“Nothing has been signed and no agreement reached. I’ve been fortunate enough, and very proud, that every year the big clubs are interested in me.

“I hope the future of this club will become somewhat clearer in the next few days

sounds like he's a shoe in

So the bored sacks Mancini and will replace him with Pellegrini, (so it seems)

Reading some posts below a few of you are happy to see Mancini go and Pellegrini come.

A stat on Pellegrini, spent over 200 million when at Madrid on players like Ronaldo, Benzema and Kaka won nothing.

Has not won anything with Villarreal or Malaga.

smileys-service-954681.gif

So the bored sacks Mancini and will replace him with Pellegrini' date=' (so it seems)

Reading some posts below a few of you are happy to see Mancini go and Pellegrini come.

A stat on Pellegrini, spent over 200 million when at Madrid on players like Ronaldo, Benzema and Kaka won nothing.

Has not won anything with Villarreal or Malaga.[/i']

smileys-service-954681.gif

When at Madrid, he lost to arguably the best team in the world (Particarly under Guariola).

Villareal is such a small club, the fact he got them into the top 2 of La Liga was an amazing achievement, aswell as a semi final on practically no budget. And the football that Villareal played was beautiful.

Hes spent alot with Malaga, but got them in the champions league which is still a massive achievement, and to be minutes away from a semi-final after losing there best players is another great job for him. The chances for him to win a trophy with Villareal or Malaga over Barca or Madrid is impossible, I dont think even Mourinho could have won a title with them two clubs.

You make it sound likes pelegrinnis a bad manager, clearly hes not. Im sure he will get City to play attractive football, and for me is a very good choice for next season.

When at Madrid' date=' he lost to arguably the best team in the world (Particarly under Guariola).

Villareal is such a small club, the fact he got them into the top 2 of La Liga was an amazing achievement, aswell as a semi final on practically no budget. And the football that Villareal played was beautiful.

Hes spent alot with Malaga, but got them in the champions league which is still a massive achievement, and to be minutes away from a semi-final after losing there best players is another great job for him. The chances for him to win a trophy with Villareal or Malaga over Barca or Madrid is impossible, I dont think even Mourinho could have won a title with them two clubs.

You make it sound likes pelegrinnis a bad manager, clearly hes not. Im sure he will get City to play attractive football, and for me is a very good choice for next season.[/quote']

And the money spent at Real was all Perez's doing. Pellegrini's been quoted as saying it was like conducting an orchestra of ten guitars and no piano, which I think is a wonderful phrasing of that Galactico's era. Plus, Perez sold the players Pellegrini actually wanted to keep in Sneijder and Robben.

In fact, on that note, we've been linked with Robben if Pellegrini does come. That'd be very fun :)

Robben will be exactly type of player you need to buy and should be available. World class player who can make difference' date='direct winger and i think his style doesn't suit Pep philosophy[/quote']

Robben's style suit Pep philosophy very well,his attitude doesn't.

Robben will be exactly type of player you need to buy and should be available. World class player who can make difference' date='direct winger and i think his style doesn't suit Pep philosophy[/quote']

I think he'd be a great addition. Pellegrini seems to vary on a 4231 with Malaga so he should be able to adapt Mancini's system easily. I'd like to see something like this next season:

Hart

Zabaleta - Kompany - Nastasic - Clichy

Yaya - Rodwell

Robben ------- Silva ------- Isco

Aguero

where the middle two are both playing box-to-box and the further 3 are rotating somewhat. Robben's pace would be a great improvement on what we have now.

I think he'd be a great addition. Pellegrini seems to vary on a 4231 with Malaga so he should be able to adapt Mancini's system easily. I'd like to see something like this next season:

Hart

Zabaleta - Kompany - Nastasic - Clichy

Yaya - Rodwell

Robben ------- Silva ------- Isco

Aguero

where the middle two are both playing box-to-box and the further 3 are rotating somewhat. Robben's pace would be a great improvement on what we have now.

I think you seriously need to find a new CM who would perfectly suit with Ya Ya. That's not easy, he should be a kind of player who can do a bit of everything, but do that all pretty well. A bit like Barry, but actually good. Not too attacking minded, but comfortable with the ball, strong in air and in tackling. Fellaini? Maybe someone more disciplined. Gundogan from Dortmund could be good too, except not strong in air. Capoue could fill the bill. For one really top name, Alonso is thought to be on move and I have a feeling he might complement Touré very well. I would perhaps bid for Xabi Alonso if I was making these decisions at City.

I think you seriously need to find a new CM who would perfectly suit with Ya Ya. That's not easy' date=' he should be a kind of player who can do a bit of everything, but do that all pretty well. A bit like Barry, but actually good. Not too attacking minded, but comfortable with the ball, strong in air and in tackling. Fellaini? Maybe someone more disciplined. Gundogan from Dortmund could be good too, except not strong in air. Capoue could fill the bill. For one really top name, Alonso is thought to be on move and I have a feeling he might complement Touré very well. I would perhaps bid for Xabi Alonso if I was making these decisions at City.[/quote']

I still would be tempted by Song, although i know Stuart isn't keen on him as i have suggested him before.

I still would be tempted by Song' date=' although i know Stuart isn't keen on him as i have suggested him before.[/quote']

Having both Song and Terry as 2 midfielders in 4-2-3-1 will be disastrous IMO.

Like you said Stuart,Robben will give you something you don't have right now and i think midfields contain Robben-Silva-Isco/Nasri will be more dangerous as there are a lot of variations there rather than playing with 3 AM(Nasri-Silva-Isco) as it clearly won't work (see Hazard-Mata-Oscar) at Chelsea.

I think complement Yaya character of play will be quite hard. Someone have said this before (i think it's either Stuart or Ray) but i think his ability as all round-midfielder is actually become his weakness aswell as we just can't decide what type of midfielder will be suited alongside him

I think you seriously need to find a new CM who would perfectly suit with Ya Ya. That's not easy' date=' he should be a kind of player who can do a bit of everything, but do that all pretty well. A bit like Barry, but actually good. Not too attacking minded, but comfortable with the ball, strong in air and in tackling. Fellaini? Maybe someone more disciplined. Gundogan from Dortmund could be good too, except not strong in air. Capoue could fill the bill. For one really top name, Alonso is thought to be on move and I have a feeling he might complement Touré very well. I would perhaps bid for Xabi Alonso if I was making these decisions at City.[/quote']

Barry was excellent last season and seemed to be the perfect foil for Yaya. Kept possession nicely and could tackle but wasn't too rash. I don't think we need a star name like Alonso there unless he's available for a great deal. I stuck Rodwell in because I want to see more of him after his promising performances this year but Milner's also been excellent and could play there. If Arsenal finish 5th then Wilshere might be worth a pop and if it's Spurs then I'm a big Sandro fan.

I actually feel a little sorry for Mancini. To be fair he has not done a lot wrong in terms of his overall record and is 2nd now deemed as failure??

I thought you might have stuck it out with him with the upheaval at united this stability could have played to your advantage and given you a head-start on the others who will have new managers trying to implement new patterns of play etc.

Now dont get me wrong I can understand why some would be calling for his head but I think it is more reflective of football and the world at large we all live in the now.

I am always one of those who likes a manager to be given time and whilst I know Mancini has had a decent amount is one bad season alone a reason to sack a guy who has delivered the prize everybody wants to City. Felt his credit may have earned him another shot at it but alas not to be.

Thought your owners were different as well but one poorish season (is 2nd really that bad, accept the Champions League argument) and mancini has gone. Although I can accept that we dont know about what goes on behind the scenes but it would appear as though the owners have had there head turned by the ideas of the Spanish Duo at the club, and whether reports of in-fighting are true or not we really dont know.

Managers everywhere now though barely get the time to do anything nowdays think I saw over 60% of the managers in the top four leagues have been in the job less than 7months which is astonishing really when you think about it.

But as I said in an earlier post if you were gunna sack him may as well do it now and give the new guy a full pre-season to prepare and try to get across his philosophy and ideas.

At the end of the day we will only know if it was the right thing or not in twelve months time really

then Wilshere might be worth a pop and if it's Spurs then I'm a big Sandro fan.

You can have him; I've come to the conclusion that he's shockingly over rated. A slightly dodgy ankle Wilshere can't get in ahead of Tomas Rosick-note.

Though, if i were you, i'd steer clear of Arsenal. So far, you've brought Adebarndoor, Nasri, Clichy and Kolo Toure; a list that contains a striker that can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, a princess who takes evasive action when put in a wall, the worst left back you'll ever see and a bloke with Malaria and given 70 million for the lot of them.

Well Mancini is gone, but one thing has come to light from it which I think differs us from Chelsea when it comes to ditching managers...

Hughes was sacked for not hitting targets, same for Mancini - so any new manager knows their targets it seems.

ONE positive that could come from it is the likes of Guidetti and Razak getting more game time - even if just in the Rumbelows Cup to start with

Nasri' date=' Clichy and Kolo Toure;

a princess who takes evasive action when put in a wall,

the worst left back you'll ever see, and;

a bloke with Malaria

and given 70 million for the lot of them.[/quote']

They join players like Fabregas and RvP in having left a small club to go on to claim a league winners medal at their new club

How did you're club reinvest the 'profits made' on these players btw?

You can have him; I've come to the conclusion that he's shockingly over rated. A slightly dodgy ankle Wilshere can't get in ahead of Tomas Rosick-note.

Bit like MOST of the Arsenal squad then?

Well Mancini is gone' date=' but one thing has come to light from it which I think differs us from Chelsea when it comes to ditching managers...

Hughes was sacked for not hitting targets, same for Mancini - so any new manager knows their targets it seems.

ONE positive that could come from it is the likes of Guidetti and Razak getting more game time - even if just in the Rumbelows Cup to start with[/quote']

I don't think we're at all like Chelsea. The owners have sacked two managers in five years, which isn't particularly heavy handed, especially when both have failed to hit the targets that were set for them. Chelsea have had seven managers in the same period.

The 'holistic' approach mentioned in the club statement refers to the bringing through of youth. Mancini was pretty horrendous at it really with very few kids given a chance in his time here. I think Begiristain's philosophy will be to have all levels of City much more interlinked with passages open to develop throughout and we'll be looking for a manager with a record of bringing through younger players.

They join players like Fabregas and RvP in having left a small club to go on to claim a league winners medal at their new club

How did you're club reinvest the 'profits made' on these players btw?

Only the fan of a small club would accuse a geniunely big club of being a small club. And you want small time? Check out the number of Etihadists that consider the Community Shield a "trophy". Now that's sad. That'd be the equivalent of me coming in here and gloating about the Emirates Cup.

Only the fan of a small club would accuse a geniunely big club of being a small club. And you want small time? Check out the number of Etihadists that consider the Community Shield a "trophy". Now that's sad. That'd be the equivalent of me coming in here and gloating about the Emirates Cup.

The Community Shield is a trophy.

The United fans and the media clearly agree when stating that Fergie's won 38 trophies at United and as a result have included his 10 Community Shields.

It is not the equivalent of winning the Emirates cup, there is an element of competitiveness in the Community Shield and certainly a lot more competition.

I agree, it probably is more competitive but the only fans I've heard claim it as a trophy are Etihad fans. For instance, we tore United apart in the 04/05 Shield before fluking the FA Cup against the same opponents; how many people do you hear claiming Arsenal won the double that season?

The Community Shield is a trophy.

The United fans and the media clearly agree when stating that Fergie's won 38 trophies at United and as a result have included his 10 Community Shields.

It is not the equivalent of winning the Emirates cup' date=' there is an element of competitiveness in the Community Shield and certainly a lot more competition.[/quote']

Not to mention you have to of won either the FA cup or league to qualify for it. Its not the biggest trophy, but nevertheless you earnt the right to play in it, and so it is a trophy thats worthy of winning.

I agree' date=' it probably is more competitive but the only fans I've heard claim it as a trophy are Etihad fans. For instance, we tore United apart in the 04/05 Shield before fluking the FA Cup against the same opponents; how many people do you hear claiming Arsenal won the double that season?[/quote']

Well you don't call them claiming the double, as 'The Double' is generally regarded as the Premier League and The Fa Cup. It is something that fans do generally have a right to claim a success, not something that will make or break a season but it's still an achievement to win it. You're either going to beat the Premier League winners, FA Cup winners or Premier League runners up to win it which is a success in itself.