Official Manchester City Thread

Re: Official Manchester City Thread

Well you don't call them claiming the double' date=' as 'The Double' is generally regarded as the Premier League and The Fa Cup. It is something that fans do generally have a right to claim a success, not something that will make or break a season but it's still an achievement to win it. You're either going to beat the Premier League winners, FA Cup winners or Premier League runners up to win it which is a success in itself.[/quote']

Not really; Liverpool won a treble consisting of the domestic cups and the Uefa Cup and that was still a treble.

At the end of the day, the Community Shield means nothing therefore it shouldn't be thought of as a trophy.

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Manchester City Thread so who will finish higher this season - toure or city?

Re: Official Manchester City Thread Some guys here need an appearance on Jeremy Kyle to sort this thing out... "And the DNA... Results... Say... *Opens up envelope* He has no family from Manchester!

Re: Official Manchester City Thread FT: Man Utd 1-6 Man City. Bad mistake from Fergie resting Howard Webb.

Not really; Liverpool won a treble consisting of the domestic cups and the Uefa Cup and that was still a treble.

At the end of the day' date=' the Community Shield means nothing therefore it shouldn't be thought of as a trophy.[/quote']

In what way does the Community Shield mean nothing? It means less, granted. But what has made you come to the conclusion that it means nothing?

I agree' date=' it probably is more competitive but the only fans I've heard claim it as a trophy are Etihad fans. For instance, we tore United apart in the 04/05 Shield before fluking the FA Cup against the same opponents; how many people do you hear claiming Arsenal won the double that season?[/quote']

Go on the United thread (and this thread) around the 12th August last year to see United fans talking about the community shield - shame you boys don't get invite to those types of games these days :)

Without the community shield Fergie would only have won 28 'trophies' - pretty sure all the major news channels and journos are reporting it as 38.

Oddly - if you go on Arsenals OFFICIAL website - the Community Shield is listed THIRD - higher than the League Cup.....

PERSONALLY though - I rate it as a pre-season curtain raiser with a degree of competitiveness, rather than an actual 'trophy' - and as much as I enjoyed the day out at Villa Park v Chelsea I wouldn't be buying a flag saying "2013 Community Shield Winners" - so for once we kind've agree :)

Probably suits his argument with Ian. :D

Move along - nothing to see here :)

I read an interview recently that RvP only left Arsenal so he could have another crack at the community shield - something that wouldn't happen at "season ended in March Arsenal FC" :)

I don't think the Community Shield means anything as such' date=' but it is quite clearly a trophy. Not one to shout about mind, though Arsenal would if they won it ;)[/quote']

You are right-we would..because we would first need to win something/or place second to get in there :)

When at Madrid' date=' he lost to arguably the best team in the world (Particarly under Guariola).

Villareal is such a small club, the fact he got them into the top 2 of La Liga was an amazing achievement, aswell as a semi final on practically no budget. And the football that Villareal played was beautiful.

Hes spent alot with Malaga, but got them in the champions league which is still a massive achievement, and to be minutes away from a semi-final after losing there best players is another great job for him. The chances for him to win a trophy with Villareal or Malaga over Barca or Madrid is impossible, I dont think even Mourinho could have won a title with them two clubs.

You make it sound likes pelegrinnis a bad manager, clearly hes not. Im sure he will get City to play attractive football, and for me is a very good choice for next season.[/quote']

Not saying he is a bad manager at all.

It was a statistic that's all.

At the end of the day' date=' the Community Shield means nothing therefore it shouldn't be thought of as a trophy.[/quote']

Events where trophy's are awarded by that countries organisation (The FA) tend to be acknowledged as.......trophies:o

Which is why for example the Community shield is classed as a trophy whilst the 'Emirates Cup' is not:p

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2324364/The-Footballers-Football-Column-Garry-Cook-Roberto-Mancini-winner.html

Interesting interview with your former Chief Exec Mr Gary Cook. A very pleasant man and represented City well while he was in his role only mocking a cancer sufferer once and then lying that his account was hacked before sheepishly admitting it was him.

Class.

Other high's include claiming City were going to win the Legaue Cup before being defeated by the PL Champions (again), and most notably in this interview he claims that Mancini "filled the trophy cabinet"??

Really?

Filled it did he Mr Cook?

Must be a somewhat small cabinet.

City sure now how to hire folk with class:rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2324364/The-Footballers-Football-Column-Garry-Cook-Roberto-Mancini-winner.html

Interesting interview with your former Chief Exec Mr Gary Cook. A very pleasant man and represented City well while he was in his role only mocking a cancer sufferer once and then lying that his account was hacked before sheepishly admitting it was him.

Class.

Other high's include claiming City were going to win the Legaue Cup before being defeated by the PL Champions (again)' date=' and most notably in this interview he claims that Mancini "filled the trophy cabinet"??

Really?

Filled it did he Mr Cook?

Must be a somewhat small cabinet.

City sure now how to hire folk with class:rolleyes:[/quote']

Because representing a club by a man fired by said club for making an ass out of himself makes sense :rolleyes:

Because representing a club by a man fired by said club for making an ass out of himself makes sense :rolleyes:

You sacked one of your all time most succesful managers.

You sold Balotelli and didn't replace him.

You won the league and strengthened with..............Rodwell, Maicon and Garcia.

Where does ANYTHING make sense?:P

You won the league and strengthened with..............Rodwell' date=' Maicon and Garcia.

Where does ANYTHING make sense?:P[/quote']

Being one of our all time most successful managers isn't that difficult :P

That was a stupid error from Mancini, especially when he was apparently unwilling to use Guidetti.

All stupid transfers by Mancini.

Both of which contradict your first point :) When do YOU ever make sense? :P

You won the league and strengthened with..............Rodwell' date=' Maicon and Garcia. [/b']

Where does ANYTHING make sense?:P

Don't forget Scott Sinclair

:D

Being one of our all time most successful managers isn't that difficult :P

That was a stupid error from Mancini' date=' especially when he was apparently unwilling to use Guidetti.

All stupid transfers by Mancini.

Both of which contradict your first point :) When do YOU ever make sense? :P[/quote']

Ooooh game on.

Challenge accepted;):P

So sacking a manager who was not supported in the transfer market as he would have liked this season but still managed to finish 2nd and reach the FA Cup final 'makes sense'?

Balo had too go after his altercation with the manager - no player bigger than the club etc - The board should have advocated funds to purchase a striker who could replace him or at least fill in until the end of the season.

And do you honestly feel that Maicon, Sinclair, Rodwell and Garcia were high on Mancini's wishlist? Even though all summer he had been complaining that he had been unable to bring in the targets he wanted.

That is how it makes sense;)

And to your final point:

'Stu claims Chelsea are more likely title challlengers than Utd - Cheekylad disagree's - Cheekylad is right - makes sense.

Chelsea fans claim Di Matteo is a good manager - Cheekylad disagree's and says they won't make the CL knockout round with him in charge - Cheekylad is right - makes sense.

Cheekylad claims league is over in february - other's disagree - Cheekylad is right = more sense.

Cheekylad sends goading messages to all City fans via rep claiming Utd are the champions after City defeat to Arsenal (11-12) - Utd bottle it, Cheeky cries and looks like a (slang for female breast rhyming with bit, mit, nit , pit etc):P

Can't all be perfect.

That make sense chap:D

Ooooh game on.

Challenge accepted;):P

So sacking a manager who was not supported in the transfer market as he would have liked this season but still managed to finish 2nd and reach the FA Cup final 'makes sense'?

Balo had too go after his altercation with the manager - no player bigger than the club etc - The board should have advocated funds to purchase a striker who could replace him or at least fill in until the end of the season.

And do you honestly feel that Maicon' date=' Sinclair, Rodwell and Garcia were high on Mancini's wishlist? Even though all summer he had been complaining that he had been unable to bring in the targets he wanted.

That is how it makes sense;)

And to your final point:

'Stu claims Chelsea are more likely title challlengers than Utd - Cheekylad disagree's - Cheekylad is right - makes sense.

Chelsea fans claim Di Matteo is a good manager - Cheekylad disagree's and says they won't make the CL knockout round with him in charge - Cheekylad is right - makes sense.

Cheekylad claims league is over in february - other's disagree - Cheekylad is right = more sense.

Cheekylad sends goading messages to all City fans via rep claiming Utd are the champions after City defeat to Arsenal (11-12) - Utd bottle it, Cheeky cries and looks like a (slang for female breast rhyming with bit, mit, nit , pit etc):P

Can't all be perfect.

That make sense chap:D[/quote']

Mancini had plenty of money to invest but generally didn't do so wisely. He also didn't meet any of the targets set for him this season and the squad wasn't going through transition which would have made that more acceptable.

The Balotelli altercation was Mancini's fault and, as far as I know, Mancini wasn't even looking for a new striker.

He bought players that fitted the 352 system he wanted to use. Wing backs (Maicon) and DMs that had played as CBs (Garcia and Rodwell). The system flopped and now the transfers look stupid. Had it worked then we'd be praising them! Sinclair and Wright were bought as home grown replacements for Johnson and Taylor.

I was wrong in the Chelsea case. Still think their squad's better than yours though.

I agreed with you on Di Matteo.

The league was officially decided in April. We know United have recent history of bottling it ;)

Mancini had plenty of money to invest but generally didn't do so wisely. He also didn't meet any of the targets set for him this season and the squad wasn't going through transition which would have made that more acceptable.

Agree on meeting targets - although I would say the CL was the major dissapointment this season. Reaching the FA Cup final is always an 'achievement' whilst finishing runners up in the league is something that Liverpool fans can only dream of.

I also believe that Mancini's targets were not his first choice. RVP etc obviously were.

The Balotelli altercation was Mancini's fault and' date=' as far as I know, Mancini wasn't even looking for a new striker.

[b']How do you know it was his fault?[/b]

He bought players that fitted the 352 system he wanted to use. Wing backs (Maicon) and DMs that had played as CBs (Garcia and Rodwell). The system flopped and now the transfers look stupid. Had it worked then we'd be praising them! Sinclair and Wright were bought as home grown replacements for Johnson and Taylor.

Agree he was tactically hopeless.

I was wrong in the Chelsea case. Still think their squad's better than yours though.

I think it is far more even now than it was last season tbh.

I agreed with you on Di Matteo.

Of course you did - agreeing with me makes sense chap;)

The league was officially decided in April. We know United have recent history of bottling it ;)

Touche:D

Replies in black bold lettering as unlike Luis Suarez the colour doesn't scare me:p

Agree on meeting targets - although I would say the CL was the major dissapointment this season. Reaching the FA Cup final is always an 'achievement' whilst finishing runners up in the league is something that Liverpool fans can only dream of.

I also believe that Mancini's targets were not his first choice. RVP etc obviously were.

How do you know it was his fault?

Agree he was tactically hopeless.

The CL was disappointing, but understandable once you consider that two semi-finalists topped our group. We should still have made third though and had a go at the Europa, which is now giving Chelsea a 'successful' season.

Once we'd gone out of Europe you'd have thought our domestic form would have gotten much better though out of desire to win something. Frankly, it hasn't and we should be much closer to you than we are in the league.

Not getting your first choices isn't as excuse to fill the squad with average players. There are always bargains available, even for the top clubs, yet Mancini overpaid for players that haven't performed.

All of the media reports hint that way. Balotelli was acting up but Mancini was the one who struck out.

I wouldn't say hopeless. The football we were playing at the start of the 11/12 season was the best I've seen any team play in the Premier League. Chelsea decided to mimic it but then teams grew wise to it and learned how to defend against it. That's when a good manager changes the system and throws something else at opponents but Mancini's only 'idea' was to push Yaya up which is akin to using a battering ram.

Mate, Liverpool didnt just do the treble, they were destroying everybody in 00/01 and 01/02. Liverpool were better then Arsenal and Man Utd at times, when Gerrard had Viera and Keane in his pocket.

Liverpool destroyed Birmingham, Arsenal and Deportivo, in a season i am quite fond of.

That was more of a quintuple jugular of trophies after we won the Super Cup is well and world clubs cup!!!

Replies in black bold lettering as unlike Luis Suarez the colour doesn't scare me:p

Van Persie has nothing on Suarez.

Suarez is the 3rd best CF on the planet.

He's worth £70m, Van Persie is worth £24m. < Says it all really:cool:

I think his goal tally is more for Utd fans to be worrying about. ;):D

Mate' date=' Liverpool didnt just do the treble, they were destroying everybody in 00/01 and 01/02. Liverpool were better then Arsenal and Man Utd at times, when Gerrard had Viera and Keane in his pocket.

Liverpool destroyed Birmingham, Arsenal and Deportivo, in a season i am quite fond of.

That was more of a quintuple jugular of trophies after we won the Super Cup is well and world clubs cup!!!

[/quote']

Destroy Arsenal? We battered you in the FA Cup final; you only won because of that cheating arse, Henchoz.

Destroy Arsenal? We battered you in the FA Cup final; you only won because of that cheating arse' date=' Henchoz.[/quote']

If there was any cheats in that final when Liverpool were 1-0 down, it was the Arsenal time wasting, calling players like Henchoz to be sent off to the ref, and most importantly, that pink haired cheater Freddie lljunberg whatever his name was.

Pires is well, created what in the modern day, is know known as a 'dive'.

That game, was essentially the virtual kick off to the millenium, which created the worldwide chant "Same Old Arsenal, Alwaaaays cheaatinngg".

Forever since, that chant still rings to the Arsenal fans, for the way their team behaved in 01. Arsenal were an absolute disgrace to the game in 2001, and rightfully the bigger club Liverpool won that final mate.B)

If there was any cheats in that final when Liverpool were 1-0 down' date=' it was the Arsenal time wasting, calling players like Henchoz to be sent off to the ref, and most importantly, that pink haired cheater Freddie lljunberg whatever his name was.

Pires is well, created what in the modern day, is know known as a 'dive'.

That game, was essentially the virtual kick off to the millenium, which created the worldwide chant "Same Old Arsenal, Alwaaaays cheaatinngg".

Forever since, that chant still rings to the Arsenal fans, for the way their team behaved in 01. Arsenal were an absolute disgrace to the game in 2001, and rightfully the bigger club Liverpool won that final mate.B)[/quote']

I'll have to agree. You sir are entertaining , keep it up.