JuniorBlue

Official Manchester City Thread

Re: Official Manchester City Thread

The subject was that any big company in the world goes through a week-long process of looking for a new chairman most of the time while football clubs usually rush and try to present managers in a matter of days which is partly the reason why Alan Pardew (assuming Martinez leaves Wigan) will be the third-longest serving manager at the same club in the EPL with 2 and a half years and Brendan Rodgers who hasn't even been at Liverpool for a complete year will be Nr. 7 on that list.

I'd assume that the new manager will have been on our radar for a while before Mancini was sacked. Not the way I'd like them to do it, but Mancini was appointed immediately after Hughes was cut and seemed to fit in well, being supported financially in his first transfer window.

I'd assume that the new manager will have been on our radar for a while before Mancini was sacked. Not the way I'd like them to do it' date=' but Mancini was appointed immediately after Hughes was cut and seemed to fit in well, being supported financially in his first transfer window.[/quote']

Pellgrini seems to be the fav - although didn't he spend around 200 mil at Madrid and win nothing?

Pellgrini seems to be the fav - although didn't he spend around 200 mil at Madrid and win nothing?

Perez was the one who spent the money not Pellgrini. He wasn't happy with his transfer policy as he wanted to keep Sneijder and Robben who were later sold - and also he didn't want Kaka and Benzema to join.

Fernandinho wants to join City?

He did amass the most points Real had ever achieved in the league that season - 96 over 38 games (2.52 per game) - sadly for him Barcelona got 99 that year

Ignoring the Pellegrini bit, because only time will tell with that, but Fernandinho would be an excellent signing for you, the kinda player you have been missing since De Jong left in the sense that he can get a foot in and move the ball around. Not to mention he is far superior with the ball at his feet and if required can go box to box.

Excellent signing if it can be done and on the level required.

Ignoring the Pellegrini bit' date=' because only time will tell with that, but Fernandinho would be an excellent signing for you, the kinda player you have been missing since De Jong left in the sense that he can get a foot in and move the ball around. Not to mention he is far superior with the ball at his feet and if required can go box to box.

Excellent signing if it can be done and on the level required.[/quote']

I don't think we miss De Jong. Don't get me wrong, I adored the guy, but during last season, he played less than 1/3 of the available minutes, starting just 11 league games. Yaya and Barry were the first choice central midfield pairing for us, starting 31 games each.

And it's Barry who we've missed this year IMO as he's declined a huge amount. He used to be a great foil for Yaya but now I'm not comfortable when he's on the ball as I don't trust him to keep it, which was his only job.

I'd personally like to see Yaya paired with another box-to-box midfielder, whether that's a new buy like Fernandinho (at the right price) or hoping Rodwell manages to stay fit.

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has revealed that the Serie A side are in negotiations with Manchester City over Edin Dzeko and Edinson Cavani.

That's one hell of an upgrade lol.

That's one hell of an upgrade lol.

That would be outstanding :)

Bit worried about the centre of our defence though. Kolo and Lescott are both destined to leave meaning we need to get at least one CB in and it may be better to look for a more experienced head, which tends to be expensive.

We've been linked with Pepe, which frankly worries me even more. Disgusting player.

That would be outstanding :)

Bit worried about the centre of our defence though. Kolo and Lescott are both destined to leave meaning we need to get at least one CB in and it may be better to look for a more experienced head' date=' which tends to be expensive.

We've been linked with Pepe, which frankly worries me even more. Disgusting player.[/quote']

It really would be - excluding Toure and Aguero that would be your biggest signing ever - he is wanted by all the big guns so if you got him it would be a phenomenal coup.

Kolo is gone on as free agent hasnt he? I think Lescott will leave with the world cup creeping up. Not sure where he would go, Liverpool? Everton? Spurs? Either way looks like he is destined to leave.

I can see you making a move for Garay or Sakho. But I think Kompany could try and push a move for Toby Alderweireld - who is surely going to leave Ajax as a lot of clubs are interested in him - with the success of Kompany and Vertonghen in the PL he will surely be a decent punt at a not too shabby price either - he has CL experience and while yes a weaker league - has a winning mentality too.

It really would be - excluding Toure and Aguero that would be your biggest signing ever - he is wanted by all the big guns so if you got him it would be a phenomenal coup.

Kolo is gone on as free agent hasnt he? I think Lescott will leave with the world cup creeping up. Not sure where he would go' date=' Liverpool? Everton? Spurs? Either way looks like he is destined to leave.

I can see you making a move for Garay or Sakho. But I think Kompany could try and push a move for Toby Alderweireld - who is surely going to leave Ajax as a lot of clubs are interested in him - with the success of Kompany and Vertonghen in the PL he will surely be a decent punt at a not too shabby price either - he has CL experience and while yes a weaker league - has a winning mentality too.[/quote']

Our biggest signing ever was Robinho. As much as he turned out to be pretty useless, the shock factor of that really turned heads.

Yeah, Kolo's definitely out and Lescott wants to play football to get into the England frame.

I think it depends on how much stock the new manager puts by his CBs playing on their correct side. Mancini was a stickler for it so when Kompany was out this season, it'd be Kolo replacing him and not Lescott. With assumed departures, our CBs look like:

Kompany - Nastasic

Richards - Rekik

I can see an injury free Richards filling a back up spot but promoting an 18 year old Rekik might be an unnecessary risk for a new manager (though it would be holistic ;)). Hence we might be looking for a left sided player which pushes Alderweireld more out of the picture if my knowledge is up to scratch.

I hope Nastasic keeps the first team berth though. He's been utterly superb this season.

Our biggest signing ever was Robinho. As much as he turned out to be pretty useless' date=' the shock factor of that really turned heads.

Yeah, Kolo's definitely out and Lescott wants to play football to get into the England frame.

I think it depends on how much stock the new manager puts by his CBs playing on their correct side. Mancini was a stickler for it so when Kompany was out this season, it'd be Kolo replacing him and not Lescott. With assumed departures, our CBs look like:

[center']Kompany - Nastasic

Richards - Rekik[/center]

I can see an injury free Richards filling a back up spot but promoting an 18 year old Rekik might be an unnecessary risk for a new manager (though it would be holistic ;)). Hence we might be looking for a left sided player which pushes Alderweireld more out of the picture if my knowledge is up to scratch.

I hope Nastasic keeps the first team berth though. He's been utterly superb this season.

Yeah I'll give you that, Robinho was a super cool signing - Cavani is another level though :P

I'd like to see an injury free Richards back. I think he is more effective at RB though - he is such a poweful runner, and an athlete too. I'd then shift Zabaleta to the left -

Richards - Kompany - Nastasic - Zabaleta

Zabaleta is so versatile I would much prefer to see him at LB over Clichy or Kolarov.

Yeah I'll give you that' date=' Robinho was a super cool signing - Cavani is another level though :P

I'd like to see an injury free Richards back. I think he is more effective at RB though - he is such a poweful runner, and an athlete too. I'd then shift Zabaleta to the left -

Zabaleta is so versatile I would much prefer to see him at LB over Clichy or Kolarov.

I wouldn't put Zab on the left, he's had a great season at RB, probably Citys best player, for him to be then swapped to the left side which would negate him bombing down on the overlap and putting in a ball with his right, on the left he would have to cut in and stick an inswinger into the box. Richards is a great athlete and can go forward and back for the full 90 minutes, he would work ideal in the 5/3 defence at the back Mancini tried to play.

Yeah I'll give you that' date=' Robinho was a super cool signing - Cavani is another level though :P

I think Richards is more effective at RB but he's a very capable CB and we have Zaba and Maicon at RB. I'd prefer Clichy at LB over Micah at RB and Zaba's much better on the right.

Heard Clichy has signed a new four year contract is this true? Horrible news for you! :P

I'm delighted with it. Been outstanding since he signed for us.

Manchester City and the New York Yankees have formed an agreement to purchase an expansion franchise in Major League Soccer, the Premier League has club announced. The team known as New York City Football Club will join MLS in 2015.

More details on the OS

Heard Clichy has signed a new four year contract is this true? Horrible news for you! :P

Brilliant news - he has been excellent most of the matches he has played, although McManaman showed him a clean set of heals a few times in the final - but that can be due to him having absolutely no cover from Nasri/Silva

I think Richards is more effective at RB but he's a very capable CB and we have Zaba and Maicon at RB. I'd prefer Clichy at LB over Micah at RB and Zaba's much better on the right.

I'm delighted with it. Been outstanding since he signed for us.

Not trying to troll but I think Gibbs or Monreal are better than Clichy. Just glad we sold him off.

Not trying to troll but I think Gibbs or Monreal are better than Clichy. Just glad we sold him off.

Clichy has done a good job for City on the whole and been very consistant as Ian says one bad performance (which can happen to any player) in a major game and the Knives are out again. You dont get to play at the very top of the PL for so many seasons if you dont have a bit to your game.

At the end of the day he has a PL title winners medal, an FA Cup winners medal, competiting at the top end every season and a much better wage packet.....

On that basis I am pretty sure he wont be missing you either....

Clichy has done a good job for City on the whole and been very consistant as Ian says one bad performance (which can happen to any player) in a major game and the Knives are out again. You dont get to play at the very top of the PL for so many seasons if you dont have a bit to your game.

At the end of the day he has a PL title winners medal' date=' an FA Cup winners medal, competiting at the top end every season and a much better wage packet.....

On that basis I am pretty sure he wont be missing you either....[/quote']

On whatever basis. I don't really care if either side misses each other however I think my statement didn't include that Clichy is a horrible player(not too good either) though. You probably had read too many negative comment on Clichy from Infernito. However, my main point was Gibbs and Monreal is a better LB than Clichy. I think Man City could easily replace a better LB than Clichy with the money they have, probably player like Baines.

At Arsenal he was expected to provide a threat going forwards and be completely solid defensively. That's awfully difficult when your defensive midfield partnerships weren't offering him any cover. At City he's got licence to go forwards in the knowledge that Barry can step in behind him if required but he's also been surprisingly brilliant at the back. The FA Cup final is the only blip on his record that I can think of and his numerous outstanding performances lead me to sway in their favour.

On whatever basis. I don't really care if either side misses each other however I think my statement didn't include that Clichy is a horrible player(not too good either) though. You probably had read too many negative comment on Clichy from Infernito. However' date=' my main point was Gibbs and Monreal is a better LB than Clichy. I think Man City could easily replace a better LB than Clichy with the money they have, probably player like Baines.[/quote']

Would Baines be avaliable, if he is likely to move I think it would be to the other half of Manchester if any...

I personally dont think Gibbs or Monreal are any better than him. I dont see it as being a priority for any new manager although with Kolorov potentially going a back-up may be required.

In all honesty there is not an abundence of LB'S world-wide that really capture the imagination.

Would Baines be avaliable' date=' if he is likely to move I think it would be to the other half of Manchester if any...

I personally dont think Gibbs or Monreal are any better than him. I dont see it as being a priority for any new manager although with Kolorov potentially going a back-up may be required.

In all honesty there is not an abundence of LB'S world-wide that really capture the imagination.[/quote']

Completely agree with all this. Plus, it would be an unnecessary expense. Clichy's excellent and to bring in someone better would cost £20m+. I think Kolarov will go and I'd like to see us bring someone a lot younger who can learn the ropes and take over from Clichy when he starts to lose his legs. I think this season has shown that trying to keep a constant back four (like we did last season) works far better than chopping and and changing to try and accommodate players not happy on the bench.

I believe some of the Dutch LBs coming through look decent and would fit into our attacking full back style.