JuniorBlue

Official Manchester City Thread

Re: Official Manchester City Thread

New home kit:

935631_10152845086105455_256696459_n.jpg

Shield for the badge looks weird but the rest is good.

Looks great - whilst I liked some of the Umbro ones, they always looks a bit like they were made of cheap material

Would Baines be avaliable' date=' if he is likely to move I think it would be to the other half of Manchester if any...

I personally dont think Gibbs or Monreal are any better than him. I dont see it as being a priority for any new manager although with Kolorov potentially going a back-up may be required.

In all honesty there is not an abundence of LB'S world-wide that really capture the imagination.[/quote']

Jetro Willems?

And that kit would be a lot better if it didn't have that shield around it.

Looks great - whilst I liked some of the Umbro ones' date=' they always looks a bit like they were made of cheap material[/quote']

Complete opposite for me, Umbro's t-shirt style shirts were are way better than Nike's imo.

Complete opposite for me' date=' Umbro's t-shirt style shirts were are way better than Nike's imo.[/quote']

Their designs were. The material of the new shirt looks pretty snazzy though which a lot of Umbro's weren't.

Anyhoo, we're getting towards silly season with a pot full of cash, a new manager who'll want to make his mark on the squad and a few players who fancy departing. Anyone got any transfer hopes or thoughts about what we'll do over the summer?

Who???? :o:o

According to Goal so probably not true' date=' but City and Monaco are rumoured to be after him.

Toluca CB, used to play for Argentina if im not mistaken. Maybe because of Pellegrini :rolleyes:[/color']

City beat Chelsea 4-3 in St. Louis last night, coming back from 3-0 down :) Garcia, Dzeko (2) and Richards scored and academy talents Rekik, Huws and Rusnak all played some part. There's a rematch in New York on Saturday which I'm tempted to watch following the result of this :P

City fans have raised £7,000 to reciprocate Mancini's gesture and take out a full page ad in Gazetta dello Sport, thanking him for all his good work at the club.

Ferran Soriano has given his first interview to British Press since coming to City. In it, he pushes the holistic approach we are aiming for, emphasizing that he's seen it work on an even grander scale at Barcelona. The eventual target is for at least half of first team players to be home grown.

He also mentions some targets. On a performance front, the new manager will be expected to return 5 trophies in 5 years and the club will be aiming to match or exceed United's revenue to become the most financially powerful club in England.

It's good to aim high :)

In latest transfer gossip from the BBC round up:

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis says that talks have opened with Manchester City over a deal that would see Edinson Cavani, 26, move to the English club with 27-year-old Edin Dzeko heading the other way.

Malaga's Manchester City target Isco, 21, is now said to be interesting both Chelsea and Real Madrid.

French club Monaco are considering a £26m move for Manchester City's 27-year-old captain Vincent Kompany.

Christian Benteke insists that he - and not Aston Villa - will decide his future, with Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City all tracking the Belgium striker, 22.

Paris Saint-Germain striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, 31, could be set for a summer move to Manchester City or Chelsea.

Argentina striker Sergio Aguero, 24, is staying at Manchester City this summer - despite efforts from Real Madrid to lure him to Spain.

Looks great - whilst I liked some of the Umbro ones' date=' they always looks a bit like they were made of cheap material[/quote']

Looks very similar to the current one... they could've chosen a different secondary colour to black this time around...

Quote BBC Gossip:

French club Monaco are considering a £26m move for Manchester City's 27-year-old captain Vincent Kompany.

I thought he signed a 8 year contract or something? Surely 26mill won't be enough?

Oh and also:

Manchester City's manager-in-waiting Manuel Pellegrini, 59, has been set a target of five trophies in as many years - including the Champions League.

That'll be easy enough, 4 minor cups and CL in the 5th year after spending 1 billion more in the meantime ;)

Quote BBC Gossip:

I thought he signed a 8 year contract or something? Surely 26mill won't be enough?

Oh and also:

That'll be easy enough' date=' 4 minor cups and CL in the 5th year after spending 1 billion more in the meantime ;)[/quote']

If you read the quote by Soriano - it's 'any' 5 major trohpies over the next 5 years - this includes league, FA Cup or Champs League (he didn't mention Europa or League Cup - and didn't mention the CommSHield which Fergie and United count as a trophy)

I kind of hope that Pellegrini doesn't build up expectations too quickly. I'd much rather go a season or two without winning either of the major ones if it means that the squad becomes more self sufficient and in line with the academy concept. That is, so long as we still challenge at the top of the league and make some progress in the CL. Then hopefully, in two or three years, we'll have a squad built by Pellegrini that can start to pick up major silverware.

I kind of hope that Pellegrini doesn't build up expectations too quickly. I'd much rather go a season or two without winning either of the major ones if it means that the squad becomes more self sufficient and in line with the academy concept. That is' date=' so long as we still challenge at the top of the league and make some progress in the CL. Then hopefully, in two or three years, we'll have a squad built by Pellegrini that can start to pick up major silverware.[/quote']

As nice as your theory sounds, you know as well as I that in the event Pellegrini were to miss out on the major silverware for two years in a row he would be gone quicker than you can say 'title number 20';)

As nice as your theory sounds' date=' you know as well as I that in the event Pellegrini were to miss out on the major silverware for two years in a row he would be gone quicker than you can say 'title number 20';)[/quote']

I don't think that's true if he was using that time to integrate the academy and build a squad that has a future.

Highlights of the friendly with Chelsea are on our OS :)

I don't think that's true if he was using that time to integrate the academy and build a squad that has a future.

:)

I believe that is called the 'Wenger' model and it hasn't turned out too great for them:o Although I will admit you do have better youth players than Arsenal.

As nice as your theory sounds' date=' you know as well as I that in the event Pellegrini were to miss out on the major silverware for two years in a row he would be gone quicker than you can say 'title number 20';)[/quote']

You could say the same about Moyes.

You could say the same about Moyes.

Not really, both sets of owners have different demands tbh. Man City owners are billionaires who have invested big big money where as Man Utd have shown they want a long term manager, fergie is an example and he hasnt had the best of times at man utd in his time.

I believe that is called the 'Wenger' model and it hasn't turned out too great for them:o Although I will admit you do have better youth players than Arsenal.

Wenger's model involves no investment. I'd like Pellegrini to invest' date=' but in the right kind of players. I'd much rather he buy talents like Nastasic for around £10m and create a team than buy established players for £25m and have to replace them with more £25m players every few years. You get fewer egos that way too.

And our academy will be like nothing in England at the moment.

Apparently he has been told to win a trophy a season...

He's been told to win 5 trophies in 5 seasons. I hope that the board would let him stay if he spends the first 2 seasons building a squad and perhaps winning nothing if he then has the players to achieve 5 trophies in 3 seasons.

Not that it has any relevance but Moyes will be given a heck of a lot more time by the fans and owners (3-4 years imo) than the City hierarchy will give Pellegrini.

City did well to keep Mancini for as long as they did, look at Chelseas managerial record for example. It will take a lot for Moyes to get close to what Fergie has achieved and if the fans don't like the way things are going, they will have a say as i feel a lot of United fans are on the fence regarding his appointment.

What if United finish 4th or even 5th this coming season? You still think Moyes will be in the managerial hot-seat come May '14?

City did well to keep Mancini for as long as they did' date=' look at Chelseas managerial record for example. It will take a lot for Moyes to get close to what Fergie has achieved and if the fans don't like the way things are going, they will have a say as i feel a lot of United fans are on the fence regarding his appointment.

What if United finish 4th or even 5th this coming season? You still think Moyes will be in the managerial hot-seat come May '14?[/quote']

6th or higher and he will easily be given time depending on what his intentions are regarding youth, transfers etc.

6th or higher and he will easily be given time depending on what his intentions are regarding youth' date=' transfers etc.[/quote']

Can't agree there, 3rd place or lower and i reckon he is a goner. Especially if his transfers go horribly wrong.