JuniorBlue

Official Manchester City Thread

Re: Official Manchester City Thread

Agree with this completely' date=' he is a wonderful player.

Don't think homesickness will be that bad with Silva, Javi Garcia, Toure and maybe Pellegrini & Isco there with him.[/quote']

Agreed with your point too,and it's not like he's moving to a new country when he's fairly young ala Reyes either. He's experienced international who has won Euro and World Cup. 25m is suitable for him i must say and he'll be a wise signing

Agree with this completely' date=' he is a wonderful player.

Don't think homesickness will be that bad with Silva, Javi Garcia, Toure and maybe Pellegrini & Isco there with him.[/quote']

I think It could still be a major factor regardless of how many Spanish speakers are in the squad, yes they'd help but the lack of familiarity between Manchester and Sevilla will be the major hurdle. He sounds like he's turned a corner in is article i just read and personally really hope we get to see him in the premier league he's a player I haven't had much viewing time of but have only heard good things. Personally feel the best way to resolve any doubt over this issue is for either a Loan then permanent deal in Janurary which would be incredible unlikely but certianly the best thing all round or Navas spending his whole summer break over here to see how it goes.

If reports from earlier this week are to be believed, Pellegrini's move should be made official tomorrow. Really hope he brings Isco with him if he does come :P

We've been heavily linked with Fernandinho to link up with Yaya in the centre of midfield but, with him looking very expensive and Valencia not making the CL and being very much in debt, could Banega be worth a look? Happy to sit deep but has some guile and would fit in well with our Argentinian contingent.

If reports from earlier this week are to be believed' date=' Pellegrini's move should be made official tomorrow. Really hope he brings Isco with him if he does come :P

We've been heavily linked with Fernandinho to link up with Yaya in the centre of midfield but, with him looking very expensive and Valencia not making the CL and being very much in debt, could Banega be worth a look? Happy to sit deep but has some guile and would fit in well with our Argentinian contingent.[/quote']

I wouldnt think Banega would be any better than City already have, Id much rather have Garcia than Banega

:)

I wouldnt think Banega would be any better than City already have' date=' Id much rather have Garcia than Banega

:)[/color']

I quite like Garcia but he's a little dull. Banega does far more when he has the ball and playing at City would allow him more freedom and therefore more opportunities to use the ball than he has at Valencia.

Last season they made similar numbers of tackles a game (Garcia intercepted many more but that could be put down to City's high pressure up the pitch) but Banega's key passes, assists and dribbles dwarfed Garcia's.

Barry was excellent in our title winning season because he could regain possession and then keep/use the ball. Garcia's good at getting the ball back but is uninspiring when he has it.

I still reckon you guys should have kept De Jong. It didn't help that you guys sold him and Balotelli to Milan as well :o. In my eyes, It was a prefect signing for Milan as they got an heir to Gattuso's role.

I still reckon you guys should have kept De Jong. It didn't help that you guys sold him and Balotelli to Milan as well :o. In my eyes' date=' It was a prefect signing for Milan as they got an heir to Gattuso's role.[/quote']

I think we should too. He wasn't perfect but he's much better than Garcia IMO. Javi's happy to wait for the play to come to him but Nigel was like a homing missile! We missed that kind of hunger sometimes this season, which was very apparent when Milner wasn't playing.

If reports from earlier this week are to be believed' date=' Pellegrini's move should be made official tomorrow. Really hope he brings Isco with him if he does come :P

We've been heavily linked with Fernandinho to link up with Yaya in the centre of midfield but, with him looking very expensive and Valencia not making the CL and being very much in debt, could Banega be worth a look? Happy to sit deep but has some guile and would fit in well with our Argentinian contingent.[/quote']

I think this has stronger chances of happening that most people think. He is a brilliant player, he is 24 so can still learn from the likes of Toure & Barry & I think he would add a new dimension to the Man City squad. On the pitch he has shown a high level of responsibility for Valencia this season - one of two shining lights with Soldado. He has great close control, he is a very acute passer - coupled with vision that is up there with the best - he is a complete engine & like you have said - would fit in with your Argentine contingent.

The only worry is his off field antics, & there are quite a few! - where not as extreme he is a bit like Balotelli, I didn't want to see the Italian leave & I'd certainly like to see Banega pit his wits in the PL.

I think this has stronger chances of happening that most people think. He is a brilliant player' date=' he is 24 so can still learn from the likes of Toure & Barry & I think he would add a new dimension to the Man City squad. On the pitch he has shown a high level of responsibility for Valencia this season - one of two shining lights with Soldado. He has great close control, he is a very acute passer - coupled with vision that is up there with the best - he is a complete engine & like you have said - would fit in with your Argentine contingent.

The only worry is his off field antics, & there are quite a few! - where not as extreme he is a bit like Balotelli, I didn't want to see the Italian leave & I'd certainly like to see Banega pit his wits in the PL.[/quote']

I first said it as an off the cuff remark, have now been a little more clued up by YouTube and really want it to happen :P His passing is phenomenal, he's not afraid to get stuck in and he can strike a ball too. Not too bothered about antics - we've had a fair few players who come under that banner.

Something like this next season would please me greatly:

Hart

Pantimilon

Zabaleta - Kompany - Nastasic - Clichy

Maicon - Richards - NEW CB - Kolarov

Toure - Banega

Garcia - Barry

Navas - Silva - Isco

Milner - Rodwell - Nasri

Aguero

Tevez

Hart

Pantimilon

Toure - Banega

Garcia - Barry

Navas - Silva - Isco

Milner - Rodwell - Nasri

Aguero

Tevez

That formation would leak goals left, right and center. (Apart from the fact that there is no creative central player on the bench.)

Edit: and only 1 English player in the starting XI as well. no fan of that.

That formation would leak goals left' date=' right and center. (Apart from the fact that there is no creative central player on the bench.)[/quote']

It's essentially what we played this season and we conceded least goals in the league. Only real attacking change is Banega in for Barry but he's not necessarily weaker defensively, he's just more creative when he has it. I'd accept that we might need to add in an anchorman in Europe though.

Nasri? Milner?

I first said it as an off the cuff remark' date=' have now been a little more clued up by YouTube and really want it to happen :P His passing is phenomenal, he's not afraid to get stuck in and he can strike a ball too. Not too bothered about antics - we've had a fair few players who come under that banner.

[center']Hart

Pantimilon

Toure - Banega

Garcia - Barry

Navas - Silva - Isco

Milner - Rodwell - Nasri

Aguero

Tevez[/center]

You wouldnt start Tevez? Such a great player it would be a shame for him to sit on the bench.

Navas would be a great signing for you if he can adapt to the league and culture. Will give you more width than you currently have aswell as he always sticks to the touchline

You wouldnt start Tevez? Such a great player it would be a shame for him to sit on the bench.

Navas would be a great signing for you if he can adapt to the league and culture. Will give you more width than you currently have aswell as he always sticks to the touchline

Obviously there would be a huge amount of rotation, I've just picked what fits best into that formation with the players we have/are looking at. I prefer Aguero to Tevez but Tevez would still get plenty of games, especially as he can play the AM roles too.

It's essentially what we played this season and we conceded least goals in the league. Only real attacking change is Banega in for Barry but he's not necessarily weaker defensively' date=' he's just more creative when he has it. I'd accept that we might need to add in an anchorman in Europe though.

Nasri? Milner?[/quote']

You need somebody who cleans up the midfield. Who intercepts the ball, tackles, covers heaps of distance, fouls, who does all the dirty and non-glory work. Not just for Europe but in general.

Banega isn't that and neither is Toure (at least not consistently).

That you are saying Banega isn't weaker defensively than Barry says more about Barry than about Banega quite frankly. While Barry might try his best to do the things I mentioned above, he doesn't really have the class. No offense but there is a difference between playing against Vidal, JM, Khedira or playing against Gareth Barry.

Theoretically you should have way more than enough fire power and creativity in your team as it is. There is zero need for two creative players next to each other playing the 6 and then another 3 creative att mids behind a small striker who can certainly handle the ball and have a good idea on the pitch as well.

I know it looks nice on the team sheet but it isn't effective imo.

Especially in Europe (as you said) big teams are imo going to take that line-up apart. That was probably the most pivotal change this season for us compared to last. Javi Martinez is immense. Haven't lost a league game with him this season. Only conceded 8 league goals with him on the pitch this season and only 2 came from open play. Had 100% passing accuracy in the CL final and won 72% of his tackles.

This is essentially where you scouting has failed last summer getting Javi Garcia and Rodwell instead.

Look around in Europe, most successful teams got such a playmaker/destroyer partnership. Real with Xabi Alonso/Khedira, Juve with Pirlo/Vidal, Dortmund plays that way with Gündogan/Bender (albeit there are still at least a step down compared to the names but the idea is the same)

Of course we could play Schweinsteiger/Kroos next to each other (which we did against Chelsea last year), Dortmund can put Gündogan/Sahin on the pitch. Real can play Modric with Xabi (I know Xabi is a good def mid but he is still more responsible for link-up play than def duties) but that doesn't get you anywhere over the course of the season. If you need a goal, you can play like that, sub such a player in but not start every game like that from the out-set

I think a quality quality defensive midfielder must be your priority. Ten times more important than adding Navas, Isco, Banega and co.

You got enough quantity with Javi Garcia and Rodwell for that position but not enough quality.

Regarding you conceding the least goals in the EPL, it doesn't really mean you have a great defense and can afford to play another creative midfielder:

In the 12 league games against the other 6 teams in the top 7, you kept 3 clean sheets.

In the CL, you didn't manage to have one clean sheet.

In the other 2 games against quality opposition (community shield and league cup against Chelsea) you kept no clean sheet.

So in total that is 20 games against quality opposition inside and outside the country and you only had 3 clean sheets.

On average you conceded 1.5 goals a game in those matches, that's 3 conceded goals in the 2 legs of a CL knock-out phase (and the teams there won't be called everton or liverpool), not exactly promising if you want to advance to the next round.

Hart(Pantimilon)

Zabaleta(Maicon)-Nastasic(Richards)-Kompany(Perhaps Rekik)-Clichy(Kolarov)

Yaya(Barry)-Banega(Garcia)

Navas(Milner)-Silva(Tevez)-Aguero(Nasri)

Cavani (Dzeko)

If I was a City Fan, I'd still hope that City could somehow get Cavani. Aguero would be put on the wing but We all know he would drift in more centrally. Silva is the #10 no doubt about it, and should be the creative play maker in this 4-2-3-1. Navas like many others have said would provide you with the width needed. I do think Aguero is a great striker and could be put as a main striker but I would feel Cavani can give you an extra dimension as He's able to head in goals. Imagine Aguero , Cavani, Silva, and Navas linking up! It would be a pleasure to watch!

Although Cavani dreams of "Madrid", I still reckon you guys might have a chance at him. On further analysis, the amount of depth you guys have is ridiculous LOL.

If De Jong was still at City, I would start him over Banega or anyone else. As Mia pointed out , I think a more defensive destroyer would be better than Banega.

Guidetti should be loaned out as I don't think He'll get alot of playing time if he stays at the Club.

I think we should too. He wasn't perfect but he's much better than Garcia IMO. Javi's happy to wait for the play to come to him but Nigel was like a homing missile! We missed that kind of hunger sometimes this season' date=' which was very apparent when Milner wasn't playing.[/quote']

Yeah, De Jong gave more protection to your back four and was a player who did bring fear to some players because of his aggresiveness. He was never afraid to put his nose in a tackle. His distribution is pretty nice as He can retain posession and has a good passing completion as well. I feel sometimes teams need more defined roles for certain players and De Jong typifies a midfield destroyer.

This is my team I would field for City next season

Hart

Zabaleta - New CB (Nastastic maybe start) - Kompany - Clichy

-------------- Javi Garcia

Yaya Toure --------------

Navas - Silva - New Winger (Milner maybe start)

Aguero

This is my team I would field for City next season

Hart

Zabaleta - New CB (Nastastic maybe start) - Kompany - Clichy

-------------- Javi Garcia

Yaya Toure --------------

Navas - Silva - New Winger (Milner maybe start)

Aguero

4-2-1-3-1? 4-2-2-3-1? Or do the --------'s mean something else?

Hart

Richards - Kompany - Nastasic - Zabaleta

Milner* - Toure

Navas - Silva - Tevez*

Aguero

*new signing - Banega / Isco etc

4-2-1-3-1? 4-2-2-3-1? Or do the --------'s mean something else?

Hart

Richards - Kompany - Nastasic - Zabaleta

Milner* - Toure

Navas - Silva - Tevez*

Aguero

*new signing - Banega / Isco etc

------- just for spacing

:P a variation of the 4-2-3-1 (one DM lying deeper)

OOOO yes Isco can be my other AM/Wing player' date=' just a CB new imo[/color']

Pellegrini indicated that he understands the style of play that City’s management wants him to deliver. "We know where [Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain] came from [barcelona] and we know perfectly what kind of approach they are interested in," he said. "We want to win and to entertain."
http://www.socceramerica.com/article/51869/pellegrini-man-city-deal-close.html