JuniorBlue

Official Manchester City Thread

Re: Official Manchester City Thread

Kompany' date='Nastasic?

maybe just a backup cause those 2 are terrific.[/quote']

Well they are the first choice CB's with Richards in there too, Lescott wont hang around.

I think Isco would be a better option than Fernandinho, but then another box to box player could work out well too I guess... this is going to be a long summer!

WOW.....I've heard about 25 mil not 34...Good player but don't worth so much lol.

You can argue that they can afford to pay that much, but I still think it kind of ruins the fun of the transfer market if one side is just going to overspend :o

Edit: Saying that, I doubt they'll be the only team spending extraordinary amounts of cash this window either.

34m for Fernandinho?!?! He isn't even that good' date=' and the price is so inflated.

5 years ago a player of similar ability could have been bought for 8-10m.[/quote']

More money than sense!

34mill for a 28yr old DM thats seriously expensive.

That's an insane amount of money' date=' but if you've got it...

You know the rest :P[/quote']

Sky were reporting £25m for Navas when the initial fee is £8m less. I suspect that'll definitely be the case with Fernandinho too as £34m straight up is crazy.

Fantastic player from what I've seen though and him and Yaya in midfield will be immense. Really pleased with the speed we're sorting our transfers after the horror show last summer.

Wouldn't worry Stu' date=' apparently it's 22m and the other 12m is his wages for 5 years.

Does beg the question why you sold De Jong and bought Javi Garcia if you were just going to do this.[/quote']

That's much more reasonable.

We sold De Jong as his contract was running out. I personally think he'd have accepted a renewal but I don't blame the club for moving him on rather than losing him for free.

Mancini spent last summer trying to bring in players who could cover two roles so that he could switch from 4231 to 352 in game. Maicon could play at RB and RWB and Garcia and Rodwell were bought as DMs that could play CB. He was clearly a second choice though as Mancini wanted De Rossi. Regardless, it turns out that his 352 was useless :P

Fernandinho and Toure in the middle. That's just plain scary. Though him and Navas are in their prime' date=' you don't seem to be building for the future. Just the present.[/quote']

The future is our new academy, which looks absolutely outstanding.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/citytv/Features/2011/September/Planned-Academy-flythrough

Wow. Looks impressive. But remember it takes a long time before academies start producing world class talents.

It does, but we have fantastic facilities being built and boardroom level staff pinched from Barca, so we've got the perfect set-up for it.

Not a lot of point in an academy when you gonna buy players anyway though and they never get a chance.

The whole point of the academy is to not buy other players in place of :P. Its good they are getting their shizz together with FFP looking like it will be around for a long long time.

The whole point of the academy is to not buy other players in place of :P. Its good they are getting their shizz together with FFP looking like it will be around for a long long time.

I get that but I doubt they have had no good players in their academy in recent years. It's not like they are known for bleeding youth through and to say that there was no talent yet but with a new facility now there is gonna be some, would be naive.

That's much more reasonable.

We sold De Jong as his contract was running out. I personally think he'd have accepted a renewal but I don't blame the club for moving him on rather than losing him for free.

Mancini spent last summer trying to bring in players who could cover two roles so that he could switch from 4231 to 352 in game. Maicon could play at RB and RWB and Garcia and Rodwell were bought as DMs that could play CB. He was clearly a second choice though as Mancini wanted De Rossi. Regardless' date=' it turns out that his 352 was useless :P[/quote']

I thought part of the reason also was to find someone who was better on the ball than De Jong. De Jong was great at breaking up the play but rather limited with the ball, surely Fernandinho will be the same? I havn't seen too much of him, but he seems to be in a similar mould to De Jong.

I get that but I doubt they have had no good players in their academy in recent years. It's not like they are known for bleeding youth through and to say that there was no talent yet but with a new facility now there is gonna be some' date=' would be naive.[/quote']

I agree with this. In the case of City it will be quicker for them to just buy the flavour of the month than waiting to develop talent. IMO it looks like a bit of a PR stunt to me.

Haven't seen this Fernandinho other than in the CL. My mind says that you have over paid for someone who doesn't look that great. However this actually pleases me. Who knows though he could be a complete beast.

Fernandinho pictured in Manchester (sorry if already posted - I had work to do :))

Fernandinho and Toure in the middle. That's just plain scary. Though him and Navas are in their prime' date=' you don't seem to be building for the future. Just the present.[/quote']

Van Persie?

I get that but I doubt they have had no good players in their academy in recent years. It's not like they are known for bleeding youth through and to say that there was no talent yet but with a new facility now there is gonna be some' date=' would be naive.[/quote']

Really?

Micah? No?

Razak? Ivorian international? No?

Guidetti? Scored 25+ in a season on loan? No?

Hart? Yes we bought him for 600k, but he had to develop somewhere

Lopes? Scored on 1st team debut aged 16? No?

Micah? No?

Razak? Ivorian international? No?

Guidetti? Scored 25+ in a season on loan? No?

Hart? Yes we bought him for 600k' date=' but he had to develop somewhere

Lopes? Scored on 1st team debut aged 16? No?[/quote']

You don't seem to have gotten the point.

We are talking about bleeding them through from the academy into your first team so no idea what you are trying to say, you are talking about something else and should probably read my previous post again.

Razak, Guidetti and Hart aren't products of your youth academy and the former 2 even somewhat prove my point as they can't get a game despite being Ivorian international and scoring goals on loan.

Razak' date=' Guidetti and Hart aren't products of your youth academy and the former 2 even somewhat prove my point as they can't get a game despite being Ivorian international and scoring goals on loan.[/quote']

Guidetti was out all season with an illness. He probably would have gotten some game time if it wasn't for that.

You don't seem to have gotten the point.

We are talking about bleeding them through from the academy into your first team so no idea what you are trying to say' date=' you are talking about something else and should probably read my previous post again.

Razak, Guidetti and Hart aren't products of your youth academy and the former 2 even somewhat prove my point as they can't get a game despite being Ivorian international and scoring goals on loan.[/quote']

I don't read posts twice - I make my mind up first time around, then stick with my opinion - EVERYONE knows that!

The long term goal of City is to do exactly that - in the short term the club/owners acknowledge that sums have to be spent on quality players in their prime to bring in success - to make the club more appealing* and there fore generate more revenue so we can compete wit the likes of United and Liverpool.

When United lost the title to City, Fergie didn't go to the academy and bring through a youngster to play centre forward for the season just gone - instead they went out and spent a large sum of money on someone who was 29 years old - which was actually against HIS, the clubs and David Gills own stated transfer policy.

Crikey even exceptional talents like Pogba and Morrison didn't get much in the way of game time when United were struggling for midfielders two seasons ago - and instead they brought a THIRTY EIGHT year old out of retirement and gave a new contract to a 4billion year old adulterer :)

*to exactly the type of people I can't stand saying they 'support' the club :)