Official Manchester City Thread

JuniorBlue

Re: Official Manchester City Thread

Starting with Mangala?

Still looks out of his depth' date=' surely he should of settled by now.[/quote']

Nah, I'm not making a judgement until a full season, especially as he joined late in the summer.

Yaya, Dzeko and Navas can all go tomorrow for all I care. They can take this 442 system with them as well. No DM always leaves the CBs exposed, particularly since they're told to get the ball first in front of the attacker, leaving only 1 man at the back if they miss it. Perfect example in United's 3rd.

Nah' date=' I'm not making a judgement until a full season, especially as he joined late in the summer.

Yaya, Dzeko and Navas can all go tomorrow for all I care. They can take this 442 system with them as well. No DM always leaves the CBs exposed, particularly since they're told to get the ball first in front of the attacker, leaving only 1 man at the back if they miss it. Perfect example in United's 3rd.[/quote']

My comments were more tongue in cheek about getting rid of him tbh. I think he will probably need next season as well to be judged properly.

I do agree with Yaya and Navas being shipped off, I think Fernandinho could also be added to the list.

My comments were more tongue in cheek about getting rid of him tbh. I think he will probably need next season as well to be judged properly.

I do agree with Yaya and Navas being shipped off' date=' I think Fernandinho could also be added to the list.[/quote']

Feel a little sorry for Fernandinho. He had no preseason after a thoroughly demoralising summer and is expected to do so much in the midfield because Yaya does so little. He was excellent last season so I'd happily give him a second chance.

What City need to do is spend money on players who will unquestionably improve their starting XI regardless of how much it costs. Too many teams (including United before this year) fall into the trap of signing too many squad players. I look at City's signings over the last 3 years and I only see Fernandinho who has improved the team. That's not good enough.

Aguerrroooooooo :D

4-2

Hahahaahahahha :P

You let Ashley Young score and assist 2 :)

You let Fellaini score.

You let Chris Smalling score.

These are facts.

Big clearout needed.

I love the contrast between the first and this quote!

Brilliant from United you could see every player wanted it more than City who looked like they wanted to foul but not compete.

If I were City I'd be seriously concerned by the sides complete lack of guile and fight. Yaya Toure left Fellaini to run riot for too long down the left with Young and that IMO is your undoing. You allowed us a 0-1 to gain confidence down that flank by not dealing with Fellaini.

I do agree with you though that City side looked woefully ill equipped bar Aguero and Silva.

How Kompany escaped without red I don't know but he must be pretty down at the moment.

Amazing shocking stats - CITY HASNT WON A GAME IF THEY ARE BEHIND AT HALF TIME SINCE APRIL 1995 VS BLACKBURN

Just shows you can't buy character, you have to build it. Today showed how much character United have in their side.

What City need to do is spend money on players who will unquestionably improve their starting XI regardless of how much it costs. Too many teams (including United before this year) fall into the trap of signing too many squad players. I look at City's signings over the last 3 years and I only see Fernandinho who has improved the team. That's not good enough.

FFP stopping City spending

you talk about last 3 years- that has to be aimed at manager and director of football etc

Can they attract the top players? last 3 years are questionable

what the MATA City?

Agreed.

FFP stopping City spending

you talk about last 3 years- that has to be aimed at manager and director of football etc

Can they attract the top players? last 3 years are questionable

Yeah, David Gill's done a great job with his completely biased rules :) Doubt it will affect us at all this summer though - our revenues are now enormous.

Agreed.

Yeah' date=' David Gill's done a great job with his completely biased rules :) Doubt it will affect us at all this summer though - our revenues are now enormous.[/quote']

The rules are designed to stop clubs going into administration.

What do you think would happen to City if the owner left tomorrow morning?

I don't think they've been made to be intentionally biased but they do favour clubs who get in high revenues etc.

We've already seen though that City are more than happy to do back alley deals using the Sheikh's influence to gain mega deals, I believe you'll remember that discussion clearly, we both know why :P

The rules are designed to stop clubs going into administration.

What do you think would happen to City if the owner left tomorrow morning?

I don't think they've been made to be intentionally biased but they do favour clubs who get in high revenues etc.

We've already seen though that City are more than happy to do back alley deals using the Sheikh's influence to gain mega deals' date=' I believe you'll remember that discussion clearly, we both know why :P[/quote']

The rules would fail at stopping clubs going into administration as they don't take debt into account. Portsmouth and Leeds would both have passed FFP.

We'd have to sell players in the summer to trim the wage bill but we'd still be in a much better place than when he took over. The new academy alone ranks Mansour as a fantastic owner IMO. Long term future with no strings attached.

They favour the existing elite. Nobody can spend as much without winning things or getting into Europe but nobody can win things or get into Europe without spending. The teams that people put forward as exceptions (Dortmund and Atletico) haven't been able to sustain that success and have had all of their best players pinched by the existing elite clubs.

I think if we were doing back alley deals then they wouldn't be allowed under FFP and yet they are. There's no doubting that we get a lot of sponsorship from the Middle East but lots of clubs get sponsors from their owners home countries as that's where they have connections. They absolutely aren't limited to the Arab states though - one of our biggest deals is with Nissan.

The rules would fail at stopping clubs going into administration as they don't take debt into account. Portsmouth and Leeds would both have passed FFP.

We'd have to sell players in the summer to trim the wage bill but we'd still be in a much better place than when he took over. The new academy alone ranks Mansour as a fantastic owner IMO. Long term future with no strings attached.

They favour the existing elite. Nobody can spend as much without winning things or getting into Europe but nobody can win things or get into Europe without spending. The teams that people put forward as exceptions (Dortmund and Atletico) haven't been able to sustain that success and have had all of their best players pinched by the existing elite clubs.

I think if we were doing back alley deals then they wouldn't be allowed under FFP and yet they are. There's no doubting that we get a lot of sponsorship from the Middle East but lots of clubs get sponsors from their owners home countries as that's where they have connections. They absolutely aren't limited to the Arab states though - one of our biggest deals is with Nissan.

I don't see any evidence to suggest Portsmouth would have passed FFP?

Unsure on Leeds though...

The fact is that your club relies solely on Mansour to be anything close to competitive as a team. A new academy is great but where are the players? You haven't promoted a single academy player that has broken the first team this season. You relied on buying players with Mansour's money or a dodgy loan deal with Lampard.

You have made some very off deals New York and the sponsorships from the middle east all come from companies very closely associated with Mansour. Essentially he's paying for everything through his associates.

It would be refreshing to hear a City fan stand up and say that actually Mansour is backing you and keeping you in this position and that you are incredibly grateful because without him you'd be struggling for top 10. He doesn't get much public appreciation for his investment. The academy right now means nothing because you haven't produced anyone of worth the past few seasons from the academy that has done anything for your squad let alone your first team.

Essentially Mansour has bought you success, there's nothing wrong with that, but City do not have any sort of sustainability if he continues to spend money on players etc because your academy is nowhere near good enough to support a first team or even compete in the PL. Basically even now you'd be screwed if Mansour left and I'd argue that even without FFP you'd still be in the same position of buying rather than growing but unsustainably in that your revenues aren't growing as quick as necessary to make Mansour anything other than completely vital to Manchester City in the next 5 years.

You say you have a good academy, but when or if will they be pushed into the 1st team?

I don't understand the FFP thing as Barce and Madrid get away with a lot butyou talk about A Madrid and Doertmund having players pinched but they re-invest their money like A Madrid had Torres sold got Aguero, then sold got Falcao etc

Little or smaller club put high price tags so they can re invest

Lampard *cough* *cough* your owners brother investment *cough* *cough*

I don't see any evidence to suggest Portsmouth would have passed FFP?

Unsure on Leeds though...

The fact is that your club relies solely on Mansour to be anything close to competitive as a team. A new academy is great but where are the players? You haven't promoted a single academy player that has broken the first team this season. You relied on buying players with Mansour's money or a dodgy loan deal with Lampard.

You have made some very off deals New York and the sponsorships from the middle east all come from companies very closely associated with Mansour. Essentially he's paying for everything through his associates.

It would be refreshing to hear a City fan stand up and say that actually Mansour is backing you and keeping you in this position and that you are incredibly grateful because without him you'd be struggling for top 10. He doesn't get much public appreciation for his investment. The academy right now means nothing because you haven't produced anyone of worth the past few seasons from the academy that has done anything for your squad let alone your first team.

Essentially Mansour has bought you success' date=' there's nothing wrong with that, but City do not have any sort of sustainability if he continues to spend money on players etc because your academy is nowhere near good enough to support a first team or even compete in the PL. Basically even now you'd be screwed if Mansour left and I'd argue that even without FFP you'd still be in the same position of buying rather than growing but unsustainably in that your revenues aren't growing as quick as necessary to make Mansour anything other than completely vital to Manchester City in the next 5 years.[/quote']

They had a huge loan to one of their owners and he wanted repaying IIRC since they couldn't develop land around the stadium. Since debt's allowed, that would have been allowed.

It did. We now have the value in the squad and income through sponsorships to maintain a standard far higher than when he arrived at the club, if he decided to put no more in. The academy players are all very young and hence still in the academy. Expecting a new academy to have an immediate impact is a bizarre and stupid standpoint - the young players at the club have to experience the new facilities before they can make their way to the first team.

The young sides are doing very well (U18s in the FA Youth Cup final for the first time since 2008) and we have some good kids out on loan that I hope will be part of the first team squad next season (Denayer at Celtic and Lopes at Lille).

I don't think those companies are sponsoring us just because of Mansour. Everybody said the Etihad deal was extreme when it was set up but now £40m a season for kit and stadium sponsorship of a club of City's stature looks a bargain. In that time, I believe Etihad have also become the world's number 1 airline.

Every City fan is hugely appreciative of Mansour. We were flirting with administration in 2008 so top 10 is a big overestimate. He's been wonderful for the club and the city and has set up the infrastructure that means City could still be reasonably competitive in the long term without him.

There's absolutely no doubt that Mansour has bought us success, but nigh on every side since the Champions League started has done exactly the same. We wouldn't be screwed if Mansour left either. We pretty much broke even last season without any of his money so we're in a very good place financially. The wage bill's falling and the academy should mean we don't have to spend as much on transfer fees in the future.

Again, very daft to say it's nowhere near good enough to support a PL side. A recent England youth side contained 6 City academy players so the talent's there. It's just obviously going to take a little while.

They had a huge loan to one of their owners and he wanted repaying IIRC since they couldn't develop land around the stadium. Since debt's allowed' date=' that would have been allowed.

It did. We now have the value in the squad and income through sponsorships to maintain a standard far higher than when he arrived at the club, if he decided to put no more in. The academy players are all very young and hence still in the academy. Expecting a new academy to have an immediate impact is a bizarre and stupid standpoint - the young players at the club have to experience the new facilities before they can make their way to the first team.

The young sides are doing very well (U18s in the FA Youth Cup final for the first time since 2008) and we have some good kids out on loan that I hope will be part of the first team squad next season (Denayer at Celtic and Lopes at Lille).

I don't think those companies are sponsoring us just because of Mansour. Everybody said the Etihad deal was extreme when it was set up but now £40m a season for kit and stadium sponsorship of a club of City's stature looks a bargain. In that time, I believe Etihad have also become the world's number 1 airline.

Every City fan is hugely appreciative of Mansour. We were flirting with administration in 2008 so top 10 is a big overestimate. He's been wonderful for the club and the city and has set up the infrastructure that means City could still be reasonably competitive in the long term without him.

There's absolutely no doubt that Mansour has bought us success, but nigh on every side since the Champions League started has done exactly the same. We wouldn't be screwed if Mansour left either. We pretty much broke even last season without any of his money so we're in a very good place financially. The wage bill's falling and the academy should mean we don't have to spend as much on transfer fees in the future.

Again, very daft to say it's nowhere near good enough to support a PL side. A recent England youth side contained 6 City academy players so the talent's there. It's just obviously going to take a little while.[/quote']

My argument was that if Mansour left today you'd be up the creek with no paddle hence why I'm saying none of the academy players are anywhere near ready for first team.

You're relying on something that doesn't look like producing anything useful for at least 2/3 years.

You say you were flirting with administration yet argue you feel companies would have invested in you without Mansour, this to me suggests otherwise.

Basically he's the sole reason anyone is interested in the club today. He is the sole reason you are remotely successful and without him at the club you'd lose out massively and are not sustainable at this level, which is what FFP is trying to encourage, sustainable growth. Currently City don't have that with or without FFP.

You say you have a good academy' date=' but when or if will they be pushed into the 1st team?

I don't understand the FFP thing as Barce and Madrid get away with a lot butyou talk about A Madrid and Doertmund having players pinched but they re-invest their money like A Madrid had Torres sold got Aguero, then sold got Falcao etc

Little or smaller club put high price tags so they can re invest

Lampard *cough* *cough* your owners brother investment *cough* *cough*[/quote']

Hopefully soon.

They do reinvest their money but they have to get it absolutely right every time. Take Dortmund losing Lewandowski - replaced him with Immobile and Ramos who had both had very good seasons but have struggled to replicate it and Dortmund have suffered. I don't think it's fair that a club like Dortmund that's a prime candidate for relatively safe investment have to walk that tightrope every summer.

Hopefully soon.

They do reinvest their money but they have to get it absolutely right every time. Take Dortmund losing Lewandowski - replaced him with Immobile and Ramos who had both had very good seasons but have struggled to replicate it and Dortmund have suffered. I don't think it's fair that a club like Dortmund that's a prime candidate for relatively safe investment have to walk that tightrope every summer.

I don't think its fair but this is where Dortmund needs to go back to the drawing board and see what they can do or bring thought youth

that why they are holding out for big money for Hummels, Reus, Gungodan etc so they can invest

Look at Porto and Benfica, they have some future players, they slapping on 30mil or more so they have money to invest, like Porto selling Falcao, Rodriguez they invested in Martinez

The first thing City should do is sack the the scout who suggested paying £42m for Mangala. He's looked dreadful from day one with zero footballing intelligence. The Serbian lad you had (who has since disappeared) was twice the player and younger as well I think.

Nastasic has been sold to Schalke. In fairness' date=' he looked God awful playing under Pellegrini, who prefers that front foot defending style. I really liked Nastasic though and reckon he'd look world class in a league like Serie A.

My argument was that if Mansour left today you'd be up the creek with no paddle hence why I'm saying none of the academy players are anywhere near ready for first team.

You're relying on something that doesn't look like producing anything useful for at least 2/3 years.

You say you were flirting with administration yet argue you feel companies would have invested in you without Mansour, this to me suggests otherwise.

Basically he's the sole reason anyone is interested in the club today. He is the sole reason you are remotely successful and without him at the club you'd lose out massively and are not sustainable at this level, which is what FFP is trying to encourage, sustainable growth. Currently City don't have that with or without FFP.

It depends what your definition of up the creek was. I reckon we'd still be at least a top 10 side, which would be fine.

We are relying on the long term, and that's why Mansour won't be leaving tomorrow. Would be incredibly daft of him to put all the money in and not stick around long enough to see a return on it.

No, you're suggesting that if Mansour goes we'd be right back where we started in 2008. That just isn't the case. In 2008 we were on the verge of going broke, had a terrible squad and were flirting with relegation more often than not. Now, even without Mansour, there's a very good if ageing squad, recent seasons have been excellent and there's long term infrastructure in place.

City are currently entering that sustainable period since we broke even in last season's books. We aren't allowed to be unsustainable any more since FFP does clamp down on that.

That said, sustainable growth isn't possible. If you invest in youth and start to produce some good players, bigger clubs just buy them off you. Look at Southampton - had an excellent season last season and their reward was losing their manager and 5 of their best players. They managed to survive that and have excelled again this season. Their likely reward? Losing their manager and several of their best players. It's farcical.

I don't think its fair but this is where Dortmund needs to go back to the drawing board and see what they can do or bring thought youth

that why they are holding out for big money for Hummels' date=' Reus, Gungodan etc so they can invest

Look at Porto and Benfica, they have some future players, they slapping on 30mil or more so they have money to invest, like Porto selling Falcao, Rodriguez they invested in Martinez[/quote']

So you don't think it's fair yet support financial fair play? It's a crap, totally unfair rule.

Why should Dortmund go back to the drawing board when a club like United doesn't need to do that - they can just go and spend £150m because their wealth had been established before the introduction of FFP.

So you don't think it's fair yet support financial fair play? It's a crap' date=' totally unfair rule.

Why should Dortmund go back to the drawing board when a club like United doesn't need to do that - they can just go and spend £150m because their wealth had been established before the introduction of FFP.[/quote']

This is when clubs go smart like Dortmund, Roma, Benfica, Porto etc do to the big boys, you can buy but you pay 40 mil then they find 5mil youngster and pocket 35mil to invest

look at Roma when they brought Marquinho for 2-3mil, sold 32mil - 30mil profit and they Invested

They build up the wealth